Metagame LC Suspect - Diglett (not banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I hate Diglett. It's very annoying, the cores it makes are hard to beat, and it makes certain Pokemon borderline unplayable. However, in no way does this make Diglett broken. I haven't played in the suspect ladder yet, and I won't make any assumptions or predictions about the temporary meta, but I will say that Diglett being annoying is something the meta needs. Without large threats to prepare for, diversity actually suffers. People will find new checks and counters for threats when they appear, and the emergence of DigFloon recently has demonstrated that with the rise in scarf Pawn, scarf Chou, etc. With other S rank mons in LC having a large variety of checks, the thought of banning something with relatively niche checks is pretty silly. Without Diglett, we wouldn't have those niche sets seeing play; that's diversity right there if I've ever seen it.

Plus, what's to say people can't use the Pokemon that Diglett counters? We'll just eventually come up with a way to get those Pokemon in safely. Diglett poses a challenge for teambuilding, and that's okay.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, what happened that made this come about? I still fail to see what makes Diglett any more threatening than before, especially considering that offensive teams with plenty of things that can fuck over Diglett are meta now, and the only real change in the metagame has been Drifloon which I feel is an issue of stubbornness more so than brokenness. Maybe I just build in a convoluted awkward fashion that somehow only mildly changes with Diglett gone, but I don't see what makes Diglett worthy of the suspect test. It does not break my teams, it does not make my teams. I play around Diglett, I play around Gothita, I play around Mienfoo/Pawniard/Porygon/Magnemite/anything else on their team. Nothing seems especially dangerous or limiting to me when it comes to Diglett, so again, what has warranted the suspect when Diglett only has a 50% w/l rate in SPL?

Someone enlighten me why Diglett should/could be banned.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Personally, I hate Diglett. It's very annoying, the cores it makes are hard to beat, and it makes certain Pokemon borderline unplayable. However, in no way does this make Diglett broken. I haven't played in the suspect ladder yet, and I won't make any assumptions or predictions about the temporary meta, but I will say that Diglett being annoying is something the meta needs. Without large threats to prepare for, diversity actually suffers. People will find new checks and counters for threats when they appear, and the emergence of DigFloon recently has demonstrated that with the rise in scarf Pawn, scarf Chou, etc. With other S rank mons in LC having a large variety of checks, the thought of banning something with relatively niche checks is pretty silly. Without Diglett, we wouldn't have those niche sets seeing play; that's diversity right there if I've ever seen it.

Plus, what's to say people can't use the Pokemon that Diglett counters? We'll just eventually come up with a way to get those Pokemon in safely. Diglett poses a challenge for teambuilding, and that's okay.
There's no way that DigFloon has caused Scarf Pawn to suddenly become "meta". Scarf Pawn is and always has been a legit set that takes advantage of people always assuming that their Mienfoo, Drilbur, Abra, etc. will always outspeed Pawniard, as well as just having a strong Knock Off that becomes harder to switch into at 24 Speed as opposed to 16. Chinchou is less good, but has also always been there as a set as well, but I could see that rising up as a check to that core. I also don't believe that's what true diversity is about anyway. The fact that Scarf Chinchou, an inferior set to the Berry Juice or Eviolite ResTalk sets on most teams, is rising to me is proof that Diglett is placing a lot of burden on otherwise very viable checks to Pokemon like Fletchling or Drifloon. Chinchou is weak, and it's really not a good example of a Scarfer anymore because of that, only being used to lure Pokemon like Drilbur instead of for its general power, like you would play Scarf Mienfoo.

Also, how does Diglett having "niche" checks make it more manageable than Pokemon like Porygon or Mienfoo that have more viable checks? A niche Pokemon, by definition, is one that does not fit on most teams. You can't check Diglett like you could, for example, Abra, another fast and frail powerful attacker. There are two major ways to check these types of Pokemon: bulky switch-ins, and revenge killing. With Abra, I can include a team member such as specially defensive Pumpkaboo-XL or a Vullaby EVed to take two Dazzling Gleams without fainting. Failing that, I can pack Scarf Mienfoo, Fletchling, Protect Carvanha, or other such Pokemon to KO it after Abra KOes a member of my team. Diglett cannot be checked in the former way, as you can't switch, leaving only revenge killing and less commonly used methods such as double switching. As a result, defensive Pokemon are not a check to Diglett, since they don't prevent it from doing its job and don't threaten it either, allowing for Diglett to just switch out and pick another target later.

If we're really concerned about diversity in the metagame, banning Diglett is the way to go. You can say niche checks rising up to defeat a powerful core is "diversity", but to that I say, what about all the Pokemon made less or unviable because of Diglett and its partners? That would be like saying the VGC 2016 metagame is more diverse than 2015 because dedicated support Pokemon became more viable, despite the fact that a vast majority of regular Pokemon and even Mega evolutions became obsolete. What of Croagunk? Or Larvesta? Or Vulpix, Skrelp, most Chinchou sets, Stunky and Honedge? These Pokemon have fallen down in the meta from where they once were, with a large part of that being the rise of Diglett, or could be a bigger metagame threat without being so badly checked by Diglett.

I haven't played nearly enough of the non-Diglett meta to make any good arguments, but can I suggest that if we do get rid of it, can't we just ban Arena Trap Diglett?

It's possible (not great, but possible) to use it as a suicide sash lead, since it out-speeds taunts, and can almost always get SR and then memento. Just my random 2c, might actually make a proper argument one way or the other if I get to play more/get high enough to vote.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I haven't played nearly enough of the non-Diglett meta to make any good arguments, but can I suggest that if we do get rid of it, can't we just ban Arena Trap Diglett?

It's possible (not great, but possible) to use it as a suicide sash lead, since it out-speeds taunts, and can almost always get SR and then memento. Just my random 2c, might actually make a proper argument one way or the other if I get to play more/get high enough to vote.
We don't do complex bans. While I'm not a TL, I'm pretty sure that this option isn't on the table. It's not just an LC thing either, it's a sitewide thing, I suggest taking a look at this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...o-banning-pokemon-vs-pokemon-ability.3555287/ for a look at some of the discussion that occurred about banning Pokemon+ability.

This argument has actually been brought up in LC before as well, with Compoundeyes+Yanma, where it has always been struck down.

E: There's also many many other threads where ideas like this have been brought up, several others are in Policy Review. I suggest taking a look at them before anyone tries suggesting a different suspect than what we have right now, which is just Diglett and whether it stays or goes.

Last edited:
Celestavian said:
There's no way that DigFloon has caused Scarf Pawn to suddenly become "meta". Scarf Pawn is and always has been a legit set that takes advantage of people always assuming that their Mienfoo, Drilbur, Abra, etc. will always outspeed Pawniard, as well as just having a strong Knock Off that becomes harder to switch into at 24 Speed as opposed to 16. Chinchou is less good, but has also always been there as a set as well, but I could see that rising up as a check to that core. I also don't believe that's what true diversity is about anyway. The fact that Scarf Chinchou, an inferior set to the Berry Juice or Eviolite ResTalk sets on most teams, is rising to me is proof that Diglett is placing a lot of burden on otherwise very viable checks to Pokemon like Fletchling or Drifloon. Chinchou is weak, and it's really not a good example of a Scarfer anymore because of that, only being used to lure Pokemon like Drilbur instead of for its general power, like you would play Scarf Mienfoo.
I don't have all the usage stats for what's been changing ever since FloonDig became the meta, so I probably wasn't very clear or informed about this. I do, however, still believe diversity is all about adaption to the metagame. Without Diglett, we wouldn't see these innovations.

Celestavian said:
Also, how does Diglett having "niche" checks make it more manageable than Pokemon like Porygon or Mienfoo that have more viable checks? A niche Pokemon, by definition, is one that does not fit on most teams. You can't check Diglett like you could, for example, Abra, another fast and frail powerful attacker. There are two major ways to check these types of Pokemon: bulky switch-ins, and revenge killing. With Abra, I can include a team member such as specially defensive Pumpkaboo-XL or a Vullaby EVed to take two Dazzling Gleams without fainting. Failing that, I can pack Scarf Mienfoo, Fletchling, Protect Carvanha, or other such Pokemon to KO it after Abra KOes a member of my team. Diglett cannot be checked in the former way, as you can't switch, leaving only revenge killing and less commonly used methods such as double switching. As a result, defensive Pokemon are not a check to Diglett, since they don't prevent it from doing its job and don't threaten it either, allowing for Diglett to just switch out and pick another target later.
I disagree with Abra here. In my personal experience, Pumpkaboo-XL can also check Diglett very effectively, because it can even break the Sub set and doesn't care about Focus Sash. In the context of just Focus Sash users, though, Abra is actually harder to check than Diglett because it doesn't take damage from hazards or burns, while Diglett does. Throw in a Scarf pivot like Chou or Mag, and you're golden. These Pokemon lure in Diglett easily and have no problems taking it out with any type of hazard. Diglett is also forced out by common Grass-types like Ferroseed and Cottonee, and even the less common Lileep, which has grown in popularity due to DigFloon's presence, and isn't even "niche" in the context of "not fitting on teams" or "being sub-optimal" either. It's a solid Pokemon that now has a more substantial role because it can force out Diglett; that's diversity.

Celestavian said:
If we're really concerned about diversity in the metagame, banning Diglett is the way to go. You can say niche checks rising up to defeat a powerful core is "diversity", but to that I say, what about all the Pokemon made less or unviable because of Diglett and its partners? That would be like saying the VGC 2016 metagame is more diverse than 2015 because dedicated support Pokemon became more viable, despite the fact that a vast majority of regular Pokemon and even Mega evolutions became obsolete. What of Croagunk? Or Larvesta? Or Vulpix, Skrelp, most Chinchou sets, Stunky and Honedge? These Pokemon have fallen down in the meta from where they once were, with a large part of that being the rise of Diglett, or could be a bigger metagame threat without being so badly checked by Diglett.
The VGC metagame is a real mess right now, so I wouldn't compare that metagame, which is fast paced and full of Ubers along with other broken mons, to ours, which is very stable and very diverse. Our metagame is great, and Diglett contributes to this by being a hurdle that teams have to overcome. Diglett's main role is a revenge killer, and it acts how a revenge killer should. Just because it happens to revenge kill some Pokemon that people really like using that were more viable before Diglett's rise in usage doesn't mean it stops you from running those Pokemon entirely. Diglett is a big threat, but it kind of stops there. It's not like other broken Pokemon we've banned in the past: it has no bulk, it is only used specifically to trap threats to the cores it's used in, and it's incredibly hard to switch in. Diglett isn't something that sweeps everything or is unkillable, it exists purely as a support Pokemon, and has little to no versatility outside of that, barring an SR and Sub set that can be played around.

Also, I've still seen plenty of those barring Stunky and Honedge, the latter of which wasn't really that good to begin with save as a Meditite counter back in the day, so I wouldn't say Diglett crosses all of those Pokemon off the map. Sun is still a very strong playstyle, and Croagunk and Larvesta can still serve purposes on teams even if Diglett can trap them. Skrelp is definitely a Pokemon that suffers from Diglett's position in the meta, and it's probably the best example of all of those you listed. The thing is, Skrelp's problem isn't limited to just Diglett. In the context of trapping, which I believe is the main problem with Diglett, not its supposed limits on teambuilding, Gothita does the same thing. Gothita also traps Croagunk and a plethora of other Fighting-types that Diglett can't check while boasting better coverage than Diglett anyways. Now I'm not saying that Gothita is broken, either, or that it limits teambuilding. Diglett's EQ isn't even guaranteed to OHKO Skrelp, so if you play smart, you're not going to have as big of a problem as you'd think. Skrelp is also just countered by pretty much every Pokemon that knows Earthquake. Pinning that on Diglett is pretty silly, in my opinion.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
while i don't think this suspect is as bad as people are making it out to be, i do agree that there could have been more careful consideration for what that suspect might be. for this reason, i don't think the problem is exactly suspecting diglett, but rather that the decision was reached just because people were complaining about dig. apt-get, as well as others, have been complaining about the missy ban ever since it's inception, and yet it has never seen a retest. honestly, i thought that test was much more controversial than the last diglett test as well. i'm gonna have to agree with heysup in that there definitely seems to be some bias over decisions made to keep pokemon in the metagame vs pokemon that were banned.

despite this, i don't think i ever played as many matches as i should of last round, so i'll try and do my fair share this time around. i will say that the diglett metagame definitely allows for a lot more freedom in teambuilding so far, although this isn't a reason to ban it necessarily.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't have all the usage stats for what's been changing ever since FloonDig became the meta, so I probably wasn't very clear or informed about this. I do, however, still believe diversity is all about adaption to the metagame. Without Diglett, we wouldn't see these innovations.
Here's a question: What about the innovations that Diglett is suppressing? Adaptation is all well and good, and there needs to be a problem for a solution to appear, but what if Diglett really is hampering diversity and the small number of checks rising to meet it are smaller than the group of Pokemon that could be viable without it around?

I disagree with Abra here. In my personal experience, Pumpkaboo-XL can also check Diglett very effectively, because it can even break the Sub set and doesn't care about Focus Sash. In the context of just Focus Sash users, though, Abra is actually harder to check than Diglett because it doesn't take damage from hazards or burns, while Diglett does. Throw in a Scarf pivot like Chou or Mag, and you're golden. These Pokemon lure in Diglett easily and have no problems taking it out with any type of hazard. Diglett is also forced out by common Grass-types like Ferroseed and Cottonee, and even the less common Lileep, which has grown in popularity due to DigFloon's presence, and isn't even "niche" in the context of "not fitting on teams" or "being sub-optimal" either. It's a solid Pokemon that now has a more substantial role because it can force out Diglett; that's diversity.
When is Pumpkaboo ever going to be against Diglett? Diglett can't trap Pumpkaboo and it resists Ground, so Pumpkaboo can only force out Diglett. That seems fine for an ordinary Pokemon, but tell me, how is Pump getting in against Diglett? The only way is after a KO, because Diglett gets to pick its fights. That is the whole reason why people complain about it: by the time you can force it out, it has done its job and picked up a KO. Forcing out Diglett is not a victory like forcing out Abra is, because you are guaranteed to lose a Pokemon. Ferroseed and Cottonee are the same way, as it doesn't matter if Diglett is forced out. As for Lileep, it really isn't a solid Pokemon as you say, because if it were, it would already have been used more before FloonDig came into play. Lileep is bad compared to 5th gen Lileep, as the lack of perma-sand, the rise of Knock Off, Pawniard, and the continuing dominance of Fighting-types makes it much more of a liability. Archen is way better at checking FloonDig than Lileep is, since it has higher Attack, immunity to Ground, the same reliable recovery in Roost, the same utility with Stealth Rock + the possibility of Defog, and a way to beat Fighting-types with Acrobatics. Naturally, Lileep does have some other benefits like being able to flawlessly check Chinchou and better bulk in general, but there's a reason why Lileep has fallen off and it didn't come back to take on FletchDig.

You misunderstood my context about Abra. I was referring to fast and frail attackers, which I clearly said in my previous post. Diglett is not immune to hazards, but it isn't bothered much by them either. Stealth Rock takes away 1 HP, while Spikes and Toxic Spikes are pretty rare, but still don't really bother it because it's not taking hits anyway and already loses to most forms of priority.

The VGC metagame is a real mess right now, so I wouldn't compare that metagame, which is fast paced and full of Ubers along with other broken mons, to ours, which is very stable and very diverse. Our metagame is great, and Diglett contributes to this by being a hurdle that teams have to overcome. Diglett's main role is a revenge killer, and it acts how a revenge killer should. Just because it happens to revenge kill some Pokemon that people really like using that were more viable before Diglett's rise in usage doesn't mean it stops you from running those Pokemon entirely. Diglett is a big threat, but it kind of stops there. It's not like other broken Pokemon we've banned in the past: it has no bulk, it is only used specifically to trap threats to the cores it's used in, and it's incredibly hard to switch in. Diglett isn't something that sweeps everything or is unkillable, it exists purely as a support Pokemon, and has little to no versatility outside of that, barring an SR and Sub set that can be played around.
So you say a revenge killer should be able to always pick which targets it will eliminate with the only viable counterplay being "don't get trapped"? I don't think that's how revenge killers should work. It's not that Diglett removes Pokemon people "really like using", it's that it removes Pokemon without giving the opponent the option to switch out. Also, the fact that it is unlike other banned Pokemon is entirely irrelevant. We don''t compare suspects to previously banned Pokemon, we compare them to the metagame around them and whether or not they are too much to handle in one way or another. Speaking of that, support Pokemon are absolutely banworthy if the support they give makes a wide variety of other Pokemon significantly better. Diglett doesn't need to be super strong and super bulky to be banworthy.

Also, I've still seen plenty of those barring Stunky and Honedge, the latter of which wasn't really that good to begin with save as a Meditite counter back in the day, so I wouldn't say Diglett crosses all of those Pokemon off the map. Sun is still a very strong playstyle, and Croagunk and Larvesta can still serve purposes on teams even if Diglett can trap them. Skrelp is definitely a Pokemon that suffers from Diglett's position in the meta, and it's probably the best example of all of those you listed. The thing is, Skrelp's problem isn't limited to just Diglett. In the context of trapping, which I believe is the main problem with Diglett, not its supposed limits on teambuilding, Gothita does the same thing. Gothita also traps Croagunk and a plethora of other Fighting-types that Diglett can't check while boasting better coverage than Diglett anyways. Now I'm not saying that Gothita is broken, either, or that it limits teambuilding. Diglett's EQ isn't even guaranteed to OHKO Skrelp, so if you play smart, you're not going to have as big of a problem as you'd think. Skrelp is also just countered by pretty much every Pokemon that knows Earthquake. Pinning that on Diglett is pretty silly, in my opinion.
In my opinion, you have a very wrong understanding of Skrelp. It is bulkier than you think, and definitely doesn't lose to anything with Earthquake. In fact, the only EQ that actually OHKOes Skrelp at full HP is LO Diglett. Not even max Attack Eviolite Drilbur can do it. The fact that you say this really makes me question if you really understand what you're talking about.

In any case, the problem is not that those Pokemon are entirely unusable, and I don't believe I ever said that. I simply meant that Diglett impacts their viability, which was a response to you saying that Diglett adds diversity through checks rising from obscurity to defeat it. Gothita as a trapper not at all similar to Diglett, because it is not only much weaker, but also more predictable than Diglett is. As I said before, Skrelp is OHKOed by LO Diglett's EQ, but Gothita only does 80%, thus allowing it to get OHKOed by Hydro Pump 56% of time, or all the time after SR. Gothita has this problem across the board, being unable to KO most Fighting-types besides Croagunk, it can't OHKO most things with its coverage moves, and it has very little utility outside of Trick. It's also locked into the move it chooses as a result of its Scarf, leaving it entirely open to being taken advantage of after it gets a KO. The same can happen to Diglett occasionally, but not as often since it can change moves and has access to moves like Substitute and Memento. Gothita is not at all on the same level as Diglett.[/quote]

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The idea that Diglett drastically limits versatility and renders otherwise viable Pokemon unusable would be much more convincing if it didn't contradict with the data we have -

| Rank | Pokemon | Use | Usage % | Win % |
| 3 | Diglett | 26 | 32.50% | 46.15% |
| 12 | Croagunk | 14 | 17.50% | 57.14% | + 2 wins
| 16 | Chinchou | 12 | 15.00% | 58.33% |
| 22 | Ponyta | 7 | 8.75% | 42.86% | + 1 loss
| 29 | Skrelp | 6 | 7.50% | 33.33% |
| 42 | Larvesta | 1 | 1.25% | 100.0% |

Chinchou used Berry Juice four times, Eviolite three times, and Choice Scarf five times. Although Choice Scarf is Chinchou's most popular item, it definitely isn't its only option.

| Rank | Pokemon | Usage %
| 5 | Diglett | 24.54460%
| 6 | Chinchou | 24.31680%
| 17 | Larvesta | 10.53895%
| 19 | Ponyta | 9.10966%
| 22 | Croagunk | 8.01394%
| 41 | Skrelp | 3.29294%

Skrelp is the only one of those that isn't solidly LC OU.

As for Chinchou's item usages:
| Berry Juice 36.839% |
| Choice Scarf 35.491% |
| Eviolite 26.764% |

Not only are the Pokemon that are supposed to be rendered unviable by Diglett doing fine, some of them are even being considered to move up.

Maybe SPL has a small sample size, or the ladder has some quality issues, or the viability rankings are subjective. But it's unfair to discount all three of them when they clearly point towards Diglett certainly not preventing the effective use of Diglett-weak Pokemon, even at the highest level of play.

I know this sounds obvious, but it's really important for us to remember that having Diglett on a team does not instantly make the opponent's Chinchous and Croagunks disappear. Even if they have the potential to be revenge-killed, it is often limited to just that; Diglett struggles immensely to actually get in on its targets. In addition, many of these Diglett-weak Pokemon have some way to deter Diglett from even revenge-killing them. Croagunk can run Bulk Up, Fire-types can use Flame Charge, and bulky Chinchou can hold Eviolite to avoid the OHKO from Diglett's Earthquake (or run Agility). I don't think metagame adaptions should be held against Diglett since that's just how a metagame evolves. If Foongus was banned, we might see less Ice Beams on Chinchou. If Magnemite and Chinchou switching into Chinchou were banned, then Water Absorb Chinchou would probably see more use.

As for Pokemon like Trubbish and Stunky that aren't great in a Diglett-less metagame but even worse with Diglett around, I don't think it's fair put the blame on Diglett for the same reason that we're not asking for a Fletchling ban because it threatens Deerling and Chespin, or why the people who want Mienfoo gone aren't complaining about how it limits the viability of Lickitung and Inkay. As long as some Pokemon are better than others, there will always be Pokemon that have their viability hampered because they are weak to more popular Pokemon.

edit @ celestavian's response below, and I guess also a tl;dr: my point is that Diglett doesn't reduce versatility like you said. Of course specific threats get better with or without Diglett, but the things that will see more use already see use; the net result isn't an increase in diversity.

Last edited:
Going off of what apt-get said, I feel like this is clear bias running behind the idea of the retest (I personally don't care about missy anymore so don't put me down for that), but I do understand the issues apparent from the last one, uninformed arguments and a lack of suspect-test knowledge is leading a lot of people into voting even though they'd realize under proper discussion why they were factually incorrect in some parts, similar to how celes responded to iron caliber (no shots just truth, just 1 person helping another understand more), and thats what suspect discussion is. Theres no harm in retesting as long as people put some research behind what they say, theory is all well and good but diglett is a shitty mon in a vacuum. I know this sounds like I am pro-ban (I'm not) but I just want to clear up some things and not get into actual discussion-I don't plan on laddering or posting again (maybe to the latter). GL to anyone laddering though!

Celestavian

Smooth
A quick reply to Levi here about the viability rankings: Most of those 5 Pokemon you mentioned have actually gone down in the rankings from where they once were. Chinchou and Ponyta were both once A+ and both can be attributed to the rise of Diglett (though Flame Charge Ponyta is helping to make a strong case to move it back to A+). Vulpix was once A ranked, and Croagunk was once ranked A-, and may have been A at some point in the past if my memory serves me correctly. Also, once again, who ever said Diglett was making any of these Pokemon unviable?

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My issue with Diglett is how it impacts building. Sure, Chinchou/Ponyta/Croagunk are all still ranked fairly high, but that's because of how well they perform in general, which doesn't always account for Diglett. The moment these mons face Diglett in a matchup, they suddenly become a bit of a defensive liability. Whereas these mons are amazing because of how nicely they compress roles, they suddenly can't defensively check anything with voltturn reliably, as if you mispredict once they're gone. We all know that Diglett is commonly run alongside voltturn, so this amplifies the problem. These mons can adapt their moveset to help deal with Diglett, but this is barely dealing with Diglett. Ponyta will not always have a FC under its belt, Croagunk will not always have a BU under its belt, and Chinchou will not always have an agility (lol) under its belt. These mons have to sacrifice a turn of setup just to not be bait for Diglett, and this is often not always possible due to the pressure that offensive voltturn teams, Diglett's favorite style team, place on you. I was talking with Levi, and we both agreed that it's not Floondig or Shelldig alone that's entirely problematic; it's how those cores already pair up nicely with voltturners. It is paired along voltturn that these cores shine, as the voltturners are able to pivot and trap the shared checks for the sweeper component of the core. I talked earlier about role compression, and that's a big deal of why the mons that Levi pointed out are so high. They uniquely check different combinations of mons in the meta. No other mon can check both pawniard and fights like Ponyta and Croagunk can. Ponyta even takes this a step further, being able to check birds and revenge kill many things with its high speed too. Chinchou has the ability to hard stop magnemite, birds, as well as water spam. Larvesta is like a Ponyta that doesn't lose to Timburr, in exchange for checking birds and RK ability. Skrelp is basically the only offensive fighting type check that can actually switch into fighting types and deal out significant damage (snubbull doesn't count because, while it may be able to reach 18 attack, its stab is mediocre so it never ends up hitting that hard). Vulpix is irrelevant to this point because it's offensive in nature. My point is, these mons all have roles unique to them, and that's why they're ranked accordingly so in the viability rankings thread. But, in practice they are used much less than their rank and ability would suggest just out of fear of being a deadweight in matchups versus Diglett. The point of building teams is to build as consistent and good teams possible, and when you have an integral part of a core weak to ground, then the team just isn't that consistent because it struggles greatly in matchups versus Diglett. It's not like Diglett limiting teambuilding for styles other than offense is a new thing either; way back when in the Missy era, Diglett was causing a ruckus, to the point of forcing people to run Archen, as it was most viable thing (next to defensive tirt) back then to check Fletchdig (obviously not anymore due to metashifts). My point is, Diglett puts a bit of a cap on teambuilding. It forces you into similar patterns of avoiding defensive ground types as primary checks to whatever, and with avoiding them, you run into issues with teambuilding such as being unable to cover like 95% of threats completely. It doesn't force games where you just autolose to things, as, even with Diglett, no good team should ever just lose from T1 to an Abra, rather that it just puts strain on your team that could otherwise be avoided by using defensive ground weak mons as primary checks. This creates an element of matchup in LC on both sides: if you have a "dig-proof" team, you're more likely to be weak to random things like smash ZHB tirt or rock blast Omanyte, but if you instead try and optimize your team overall, you risk equally, if not more, poor matchups versus Diglett.

edit: My thing with voltturn and dig: sorry if i was unclear, but i meant that voltturn benefits diglett immensely, not necessarily the other way around

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A quick reply to Levi here about the viability rankings: Most of those 5 Pokemon you mentioned have actually gone down in the rankings from where they once were. Chinchou and Ponyta were both once A+ and both can be attributed to the rise of Diglett (though Flame Charge Ponyta is helping to make a strong case to move it back to A+). Vulpix was once A ranked, and Croagunk was once ranked A-, and may have been A at some point in the past if my memory serves me correctly. Also, once again, who ever said Diglett was making any of these Pokemon unviable?
Ponyta has been nommed to rise again back to A+ several times, not just because of Flame Charge but because it matches up solidly versus a lot of the meta and Diglett only forces smarter plays with it. Diglett does limit it, yes, but Flame Charge has adapted around it and is a quality innovation. Croagunk wasn't moved down due to Diglett's usage, yet more so in the fact it is often limited in what it can actually do vs what it ca do on paper. If anything AcroFoo, Gothita, Drifloon, and Gastly's rise in viability is more impactful on Croagunk than Diglett's. Vulpix was dropped due to sun not being the juggernaut it use to be, and because as a wallbreaker 17 speed does not help versus offensive teams making Abra, Gastly, Houndour because Sucker Punch, or even Doduo able to play this role so much better than Vulpix. Diglett does also limit Vulpix, but is not the main reason for it's drop. Especially considering what does Vulpix switch in on so that Diglett can trap it. The LO set has to get a kill for Diglett to trap it, which means Vulpix did what it was suppose to. And, you know, it can play around Diglett. Chinchou is the most directly affected by Diglett, but the high viability of another Pokemon does suppress the viability of other pokemon.

No one says that Diglett makes these pokemon unviable, but to claim that Diglett reduces diversity would mean that Diglett would have a meaningfully adverse effects on what it can trap. Diglett is not shown to have a negative affect on variety or versatility, at least to a greater extent than other pokemon such as Fetchling or Pawniard do.

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
So I'm going to bring up points from the discussion madoka and I had this morning, which she brought up in her post and I felt was pretty productive. This is all assuming that Diglett and its cores aren't broken which from what I understand is the general consensus (and is supported by its win rates), since pretty much all of the arguments for Diglett's banning are based on the idea that it is overcentralizing as opposed to outright broken.

One thing madoka and I agreed upon is that the argument that Diglett limits defensive checks can mostly be pinpointed to foodig and, to a lesser extent, vulladig. Cores like floondig and shelldig don't really limit defensive checks because Drifloon and Shellder lack the means to safely get Diglett into play, so it involves a lot of smart switching to have Diglett trap what it needs to, and the defensive checks end up still being able to do their jobs. Cores relying on Volt Switch to get Diglett in, like magdig, also fall into that category because Volt Switch can be blocked. Frailer U-turn cores could theoretically pose a nuisance, but in practice, it's often so risky to use U-turn with, say, Fletchling on things that it's trying to force out (do you really want to click U-turn against that Gastly?), that this is rarely the case. Mienfoo's U-turn into Diglett, especially slow Mienfoo's, is quite different because it is a low risk, usually low but potentially very high reward move thanks to Regenerator and its decent bulk; the same applies for Vullaby thanks to its fantastic mixed bulk, although not as well due to its Stealth Rock weakness and lack of Regenerator. I mention this so it's clear that Croagunk and Ponyta can still be used as part of defensive cores, just not as a means to deal with foodig or vulladig specifically.

It's not like defensive cores are nonexistent and balance is dead, of course - not every bulky core requires a Fire-type or Croagunk or Skrelp. I would argue that Ponyta is the main Pokemon of those listed that's really hard to replace in these cores from a defensive standpoint, because Foongus can deal with most of what Croagunk and Skrelp try to check except for Ponyta, which would be able to carry Wild Charge in a Diglettless metagame. There are also a fair number of extremely strong defensive cores that do not involve Poison- or Fire-types at all, generally carrying Porygon and/or Spritzee, that are not weak to foodig or vulladig. But madoka's point still stands because the variety of defensive cores that can be used to handle foodig/vulladig is noticeably hindered by Diglett.

I'm not trying to disagree with madoka's post, but instead offer a different way to look at it. The number of defensive cores that can beat foodig/vulladig may be limited, but at the same time, Diglett forms (what were at one point) new and interesting cores with offensive Pokemon like Shellder and Magnemite. These cores aren't overwhelming to the opponent from a teambuilding perspective, but can still be very potent. It's not just cores directly involving Diglett, either - various bird and water spam cores are able to function so well because of the metagame trends Diglett has induced. What I mean is that as far as metagame health goes, Diglett is a mixed bag by reducing the number of defensive cores but increasing the number of offensive ones. What would logically come out of a Diglett ban, and what we have seen so far, is that the dominant team style has shifted from bulky offense to balance. (With that being said, bulky offense is still very strong in a Diglettless metagame, and there are plenty of great balance cores in the current metagame; they're probably second only to the other in each case because of issues with hyper offense/semistall in both metagames.) Basically, I feel that overall, Diglett doesn't really restrict teambuilding, because for every instance where it makes a core less viable, it makes up for it by allowing for another core.

I think we need to take a bit of a step back here. First of all, viability rankings have absolutely no place in a thread like this. Not only is that shit irrelevant, the process for deciding which Pokemon are where is questionable, and the criteria is rather loose. Sure, a subjective general consensus isn't meaningless, but there's almost no valid application of that thread when talking about specifics, specially between like A and A+. Those threads are basically for fun and has some occasional use as a threatlist - since it does reflect current trends and bandwagons.

Second, I think all of us at some point when we are staring at a team with a few mons on it and we need that infamous Fire + Fighting counter and we go, SKRELP and celebrate with our awesome team. Then immediately we go "oh wait, Mienfoo U-turns to Diglett and I probably lose gg." and start from square one and start venting about Diglett to someone. The same thing happens with Fire / Fletchling counter + SR user. You say, oh, it can just predict once and I basically lose, gg. Maybe I'll just use Special Tirtouga with Ajet!!.......!........ya.......fuck Diglett. Now, as we all relive this frustrating moment, which I apologize for putting you through, I would like to point out that this point in time is basically the driving force behind Diglett's..."annoying"... influence.

Do I notice it as much when I actually play? Not really. I think the limiting factor of Diglett rarely actually goes beyond the teambuilding stage.

Tying this all together - I don't think we should be focusing on the resulting play / usage / what people think are "otherwise good" mons in the current metagame. I think, if we do want to take a closer look at Diglett, it should be from the perspective that it really strongly, more than anything else, impacts what Pokemon you can use for what roles in the team-building without being too focused on "what people actually do". Because what we actually do is work around it. In other words, I want to know "should we have to work around it?"

Last edited:

Michielleus

is a Top Tiering Contributor
Rands Slam Winner
I've voted no ban in the last suspect, and seeing the suspect again with little to no change in the metagame has left me a bit disappointed.
There has been little change in the LC metagame for quite some time, only getting minor changes like Skrelp's ability or the rise of Drifloon. I get that the LC metagame might need a breath of fresh air, but why do it with a suspect that has already been done? Because users 'complained' about it? I feel like those users have had their turn to complain, there surely are other things that warrant a suspect (even last suspect people were complaining about missy not getting attention, now they're getting ignored again).

I feel like some people here think that some Pokémon are not to be considered in teambuilding because of how easily they can be trapped and killed by Diglett. Some examples are Ponyta, Croagunk and Chinchou.
However, as Levi has already established, this does not immediately exclude them from the playfield.
These mons are still viable, but because of Diglett, their usage has a downside. Many Pokémon have a downside; you try to patch up these downsides when teambuilding.
Using Diglett has downsides, too. Playing with Diglett means you're playing with 5 Pokémon defensively, because Diglett does not live any attack. After Diglett gets a kill, the team that used it gets a huge loss of momentum. It's also really reliant on making the correct predictions. I'm not saying it's bad, but trapping is a legitimate strategy (just like using pursuit) and Diglett is the most obvious one to pull it off, but Diglett's trapping does not warrant a ban.

Having said that, how am I supposed to get a feeling of the new Diglettless metagame if I keep facing the same 4-5 people on the suspect ladder? LC needs an activity boost.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I am ready I shouldn't do anything else now just wait right?? I wanna start building shitty poison cores
you have to post that screenshot on the Alt Identification Reqs Thread, found here.

Also I think you might need to take another screenshot because that doesn't say anywhere whose /rank you're viewing.

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just stating being weak to Diglett is a "downside" is a bit of an exaggeration. These mon's defensive niches are completely overlooked because of susceptibility to trapping, as Heysup stated more concisely than I did, otherwise the team faces matchup issues.

Anyways, that's not the main point of this post. Levi said that it's alright having Dig in LC because, while it limits more defensively-inclined teams, it makes just as many more offense ones viable. However, LC, just by nature, has the inclination to be offensive, as a result of how level 5 rolls work. Having Diglett in the metagame just pushes this further, limiting balance cores to several mons that can kinda easily be exploited by offense due to lack of diversity in consistent, viable options for balance/semi-stall. As we've seen, the meta without diglett has been pushed to balance, with offense kinda being disregarded, and I think that's what a lot of people have issue with. Despite this, offense is still very much so viable, it just has to be done in a different way. If you check my reqs post, you can notice that I accidentally leaked a few teams, two of which were offense that I built. I do believe that that is what offense in this meta will be like; one or two fast wallbreakers, a speedy mon, 1 cleric/bulky mon, and then the rest filler. It's different from offense currently in that the bulky mon/cleric is absolutely necessary and needs to have absolute staying power, which can make it a bit of a momentum killer, but it's not that bad because you can patch what it loses momentum to with the two fillers on your team. That was more or less my formula for offense in this meta, and I certainly do think it's viable. Furthermore, more playstyles besides just offense/bulky offense are viable now as well, with balance and semistall teams (however still no full stall, as full stall just doesn't really work well in LC) definitely making an impression the first few days of the ladder. Given time, I think we'll see a meta that has much more free teambuilding, which is what the ladder was to show -- just how exactly restricting diglett is when trying to build.

2 cents from a nobody.

Sure, Diglett is annoying. But it isn't dominating anything, or shaping the meta around it any more than other top tier threats. Diglett isn't even unique in what it does, if one really wanted to, Trapinch could be used to secure a KO on many of the same things Diglett can (Including Diglett, humorously enough). Diglett does not require particular attention when teambuilding, since checks to Diglett are rather common. While it does mean that some pokemon are basically unusable while it is alive, this is no different than the effect that Dugtrio has, and Dugtrio chills at RU despite this trick. Really, that's all Diglett has going for it. A trick. If properly prepared for, it is really no more of an issue than, say, a Sturdy+Berry Juice trick, or a standard weather team. It has a trick to disarm before you can get at the squishy center.

Diglett doesn't really damper an adaptive meta, because Diglett isn't really a tough problem to run over with its sketchy attack, and wet tissue paper defenses. Priority wrecks it, a reasonably bulky pokemon can shrug of Diglett's worst, and even supporty pokemon can probably 2HKO it with basic stab attacks.
Unless there is going to be a push to subdivide LC into more tiers, banning Diglett seems rather arbitrary. Diglett has nowhere near the power of the other banned LC pokemon. As an experiment, fine, but this shouldn't be a permanent thing.

Really, all this racket, making such a mountain out of a molehill...

2 cents from a nobody.
Trapinch could be used to secure a KO on many of the same things Diglett can (Including Diglett, humorously enough). Diglett does not require particular attention when teambuilding, since checks to Diglett are rather common.While it does mean that some pokemon are basically unusable while it is alive, this is no different than the effect that Dugtrio has, and Dugtrio chills at RU despite this trick. Really, that's all Diglett has going for it.
Diglett has been talking a good amout of attention when teambuilding since Missy left really, it's just gone above the average thought being abused in Cores more then anyother poke as it has sutch wide utility with about any pokemon really. Suggesting Trapinch gets all the KO's is somewhat correct from a onesides perspective but in practice many pokemon have U-turn, Super effective moves or status to block Ground types in particular like Chinchou has Scald, Ponyts has Will-O (and no a rest-talk set wouldn't allow you to beat it) and lastly Larvesta has U-Turn. Pokemon you need to trap just plain ignore you with either offence or any of the other utility(and there's allot really). These and many more pokemon are able to by pass Trapinch but did need a scarf or odd coverage with Flame Charge in order to not plain lose to Diglett. Offen ending up with unfortunat coverage compaired to what the poke should be running ,like your team might need Wild Charge over Flame Charge on ponyta or bulkier Chinchou etc. Some problems can be build around but some can't and limiting sutch nessesairy utility is plain wrong imo. Even when we are doing a suspect on the magnitude of this restricting. I did be posting a full personall post if I did need to talk again about how restricting I have found it be and not in the ''helpfull to the metagame'' way. Diglett might not be argued for it's defence however bar to any priority can actualy KO diglett: Extreem speed zigzagoon, fletch, Sucker Punch from a powerfull dark type and that's it really it's smaller then people make it sound? That's it actually as Croagunk can't KO with Vacume, Quick attack/Feint are rater piss weak, Mach from Timburr does some damage sure but not mutch more then 50% damage, sure that's some damage, but in no way will it be picking up a KO or hindering it mutch. The only way I can see that be hindering is with Substituding.
Before I continue more about why Trapinch is in no way compairable to Diglett is because Trapinch just lacks about everything really lol. It's defences are by LC standerts fairly low hitting an average amout if nearly compleatly investing in them, this is especially important if you want to concider a Rest-Talk set or generally a bulkier and slower form of Diglett. It's attack is good but with eviolite you actually end up hitting weaker then Life Orb Diglett. It's speed is so horendous it's offen noted to need Trick Room to work effectively or a bulkier spread like the updated one that is now in the analysis(Special Thanks Levi :p).

Diglett is a revenge killer, if it's send out on a turn it shouldn't be doing it's job, it's used wrong or it's your last poke. Either way it's not how diglett should be portraied. Meaning it should always be alive to trap Ponyta, Chinchou, Larvesta etc. Lastly, Compairing RU to LC is poor, while Dugtrio has simalar use and utility. It did end up being used in OU in some little amouts with a Sashed + Revenge set or a Choise Band set picking up on some important pokemon to provide the utility no other can even compaired to, say Excadrill. It's not a Trick, it's utility and it has one so wide and bright that it can abuse it with many and for many pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)