Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Can someone give me some partners for Lucario? I've been wanting to try him out lately because he seems like a cool late-game cleaner or wallbreaker.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How do IVs affect recoil damage? People always say to change IVs for an odd number for LO recoil, or leftovers, etc. I don't see the significance in doing so. What's the point of changing IVs?
Gonna answer similarly to Bendiving, but I'm gonna go into detail about a variety of optimal HP numbers you could try and aim for.

Like he said, calculations regarding HP are always rounded down to the lowest value divisible by 1. It never rounds up, so this makes finding optimal numbers a piece of cake. A general rule of thumb to follow is to make things which involve losing HP not divisible by the fraction you lose, and for numbers with regard to healing HP the opposite should be followed. For example, when using Sub it is ideal to hit a a number that is not divisible by four (if a 'mon with 20 HP uses sup it will lose 5 HP, giving it 4 subs, but if it has a HP stat of 19 it will lose 4 HP and be able to use it 5 times) wheras with Leftovers you want to aim for a number divisible by 16 (if a mon has 160 HP it will heal 10 per turn with Leftovers wheras a 'mon with 159 HP will only heal 9). There are a handful of exceptions to this, but most of the tine you are safe sticking to those basic guidelines. I'll now list the optimal numbers to go for.
  • Substitute: Ensure HP is nit divisible by 4
    • For 101 HP substitutes, optimal number varies based on base HP:
      • If base HP=100, run maximum HP investment (gives stat of 404)
      • If base HP>100, aim for 405-407 HP (allows for one extra substitute to be made)
  • Belly Drum+Sitrus: Ensure HP is divisible by 2 (Belly Drum puts user into Sitrus Berry range)
  • Belly Drum+Sub+Salac OR Sub+pinch berry: Ensure HP is divisible by 4 (Belly Drum+Sub puts into Salac Berry range)
  • Life Orb: Depends on stat. Please note that the ranges for all barring the third bullet point are very subjective and vary from Pokémon to Pokémon as well as player to player, so take it with a pinch of salt:
    • If it ends in 0 or 1, lower IVs to make the number end in 9
    • If it ends in 7 or 8 AND you can get the stat higher, add investment until it reaches a number ending in 9
    • If it ends in 9, the number is already optimal
    • If it ends in 3, 4, 5 or 6, the extra investment or drop in IVs is usually big enough to have a very slight effect on damage output or bulk and, as such, can be considered unworth altering
  • Leftovers: Ensure stat is divisible by 16 provided that it doesn't majorly impact bulk. Range in which this is worthwhile varies and is up for interpretation.
  • Poison Heal and Dry Skin (rain): Ensure HP is divisible by 8. Always worth going for due to always being within four stat points of optimal value.
  • Entry hazards: Varies depending on rock effectiveness and grounded status. Ignore for Magic Guard users:
    • For 4x rock weak Pokémon, ensure number is odd
    • For grounded Pokémon barring Volcarona and Larvesta and for un-grounded 2x weak Pokémon, ensure HP stat is not divisible by 4.
    • For un-grounded 1x effective Pokémon, ensure HP is not divisibly by 8
    • For un-grounded 0.5x effective Pokémon, ensure HP is not divisible by 16
    • For un-grounded 0.25x effective Pokémon, ensure HP is not divisible by 32
  • Residual damage: Varies depending on damage type:
    • For hail and sandstorm, ensure HP is not divisible by 16 unless holding Leftovers
    • For burn, regular poison, Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, Solar Power, Dry Skin (sun) and partial trapping (as well as probably a load of other stuff that I'm forgetting), ensure HP is not divisible any 8
    • For Rocky Helmet, ensure HP is not divisible by 6
    • For Curse and Aftermath, ensure HP is not divisible by 4
    • For Super Fang (not technically residual damage, but close enough) and one other thing which elludes me, ensure HP is not divisible by 2
    • Bad poison is difficult to account for due to increasing damage. Just follow the guidelines for fractional damage of each interval until you feel no need to continue preparing for it.
  • Sitrus Berry: Ensure HP is divisible by 4
  • Reversal and Flail: Ensure HP is one higher than a number divisible by 100 provided it can be reduced attained using IVs
There's probably stuff I missed, but that is as much as I can remember on the spot. You don't need a lot of that most of the time, but I thought I'd still list it for the sake of completeness.

Can someone give me some partners for Lucario? I've been wanting to try him out lately because he seems like a cool late-game cleaner or wallbreaker.
I think that hippowdon, rotom-w, lando-t RH chomp, azumarill, air balloon heatran, manectric, and m-beedrill would all be pretty good partners

Had a quick question about EV's. I understand how it all works expect one thing i have just come across when training my mons. The cap is 510 and stats are increased in multiples of 4 now my mon has 248 hp - 180 SpD and 77 Def totaling 505 but my defense only needs 3 points to get the last stat point obtainable.
Im using super training to increase my EVs so if i was to use a L defense training bag to give it 12. Would it just give my mon 82 defense which is the last 5 points of the 510 cap? Or does it increase it to 89? Or not give me any points at all. Seems a silly question but i spent a while breeding a flawless mon and i dont want to mess the evs up so figured id get an answer from you kind people, Before i mess things up and have to reset and start again :/

It will give it 5 points making defence 82, which is the same as 80 (you always have 2 extra useless EVs leftover). Anything else you add after the cap has no effect and isn't logged

Anyone know a good defensive core for reuiniclus? My reuni set is phys def calm mind. I always like to build a core with a phys def mon and sp def mon but in this case should i just get a sp def partner since reuiniclus is phys def? or should I build a separate defensive core? I want my renuiclus to be a late game sweeper so idk, any suggestions?

Anyone know a good defensive core for reuiniclus? My reuni set is phys def calm mind. I always like to build a core with a phys def mon and sp def mon but in this case should i just get a sp def partner since reuiniclus is phys def? or should I build a separate defensive core? I want my renuiclus to be a late game sweeper so idk, any suggestions?
Usually people pair it with defensive Mega Altaria since it handles a host of threats towards it. So that's a start.

I'd personally use OTR though

I was wondering if people still use defiant Thundurus? During XY it was a serious threat, with people willingly switching in Latis or Chansey expecting a Tbolt and getting crippled severely by knock off (and then superpower in Chansey's case), haven't seen the thing in ages. Do you guys reckon it's still viable?

I was wondering if people still use defiant Thundurus? During XY it was a serious threat, with people willingly switching in Latis or Chansey expecting a Tbolt and getting crippled severely by knock off (and then superpower in Chansey's case), haven't seen the thing in ages. Do you guys reckon it's still viable?
It's viable, but in general you can run a mixed set with Prankster since everyone loves Thunder Wave support. I'd be more inclined to Defiant for a completely physical set, but even then Prankster would be better.

It's not really a SIMPLE question, but since my thread got locked and I got linked to this one, I guess I'll ask it here (copy/paste of my thread):

Hey guys,

I hope I didn't miss an already existing topic where you should post something like this (if I did, sorry, and I'd be grateful if a mod moved this). I was wondering why there are only offensive or balanced sand-teams nowadays. I remember a long, long time ago, so-called "TSS"-teams were pretty popular (Toxic/Sandstorm/Spikes), which were similar to nowadays' stall teams, just with a sand-twist. Have those kind of teams simply fallen out of vogue? Do people just not play them because more offensive sand versions are better? Or are they just outright not viable anymore?

And if you had to build a team like this anyways, OU-viability aside for a second, how would you make it look? My thoughts were something like this (just a rough outline):

- Hippowdon: Obvious choice, defensive one of the 2 sand setters, mixed wall, can put up SR and phaze to increase hazard damage
- Skarmory or Ferrothorn: Spike setter and physical wall, not sure which one would fit better, Skarm can PHaze and has more reliable recovery, Ferro is good against water types that naturally threaten sand?
- Chansey: Cleric to get rid of status and help to actually accomplish the stalling. Don't think wish is needed because almost all mons in the team have recovery already? Also special wall
- Excadrill/Starmie/Tentacruel: Spinner is preferred over defogger in this kind of team for obvious reasons, not sure which one would fit though. Excadrill has mold breaker to get through spinblockers, Starmie is good against other water types, has recovery and scald, tentacruel has a 3rd type of hazards with TSpikes. Leaning towards Excadrill or Starmie though, because TSpikes might be overkill if I have 2+ mons with Toxics
- Mega-Sableye: Might be overkill to have another hazard control, but more reliable than spinners (esp if not having excadrill for mold breaker), also mixed wall and can burn/poison to help rot people and stall. It's also a spinblocker.
- Swampert/Keldeo/Suicune/Rotom-W/Slowbro: Bulky water type to help with water weaknesses, also at least SOME offensive pressure?(Swampert might seem odd without Mega evolve and rain, but he also has the benefit of not taking sand damage)

Other options I thought about are Bulky Talonflame to check grass, Magnezone to trap Steel types, and Defiant users to not only have a spinblocker, but also someone to punish Defog.

Just some random thoughts, would be interesting to hear what more experienced battlers think about it. Already thanks for your replies :)

Sart

Last edited:

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
It's not really a SIMPLE question, but since my thread got locked and I got linked to this one, I guess I'll ask it here (copy/paste of my thread):

Hey guys,

I hope I didn't miss an already existing topic where you should post something like this (if I did, sorry, and I'd be grateful if a mod moved this). I was wondering why there are only offensive or balanced sand-teams nowadays. I remember a long, long time ago, so-called "TSS"-teams were pretty popular (Toxic/Sandstorm/Spikes), which were similar to nowadays' stall teams, just with a sand-twist. Have those kind of teams simply fallen out of vogue? Do people just not play them because more offensive sand versions are better? Or are they just outright not viable anymore?

And if you had to build a team like this anyways, OU-viability aside for a second, how would you make it look? My thoughts were something like this (just a rough outline):

- Hippowdon: Obvious choice, defensive one of the 2 sand setters, mixed wall, can put up SR and phaze to increase hazard damage
- Skarmory or Ferrothorn: Spike setter and physical wall, not sure which one would fit better, Skarm can PHaze and has more reliable recovery, Ferro is good against water types that naturally threaten sand?
- Chansey: Cleric to get rid of status and help to actually accomplish the stalling. Don't think wish is needed because almost all mons in the team have recovery already? Also special wall
- Excadrill/Starmie/Tentacruel: Spinner is preferred over defogger in this kind of team for obvious reasons, not sure which one would fit though. Excadrill has mold breaker to get through spinblockers, Starmie is good against other water types, has recovery and scald, tentacruel has a 3rd type of hazards with TSpikes. Leaning towards Excadrill or Starmie though, because TSpikes might be overkill if I have 2+ mons with Toxics
- Mega-Sableye: Might be overkill to have another hazard control, but more reliable than spinners (esp if not having excadrill for mold breaker), also mixed wall and can burn/poison to help rot people and stall. It's also a spinblocker.
- Swampert/Keldeo/Suicune/Rotom-W/Slowbro: Bulky water type to help with water weaknesses, also at least SOME offensive pressure?(Swampert might seem odd without Mega evolve and rain, but he also has the benefit of not taking sand damage)

Other options I thought about are Bulky Talonflame to check grass, Magnezone to trap Steel types, and Defiant users to not only have a spinblocker, but also someone to punish Defog.

Just some random thoughts, would be interesting to hear what more experienced battlers think about it. Already thanks for your replies :)

Sart
Yh offensive sand> sand stall. Sand doesn't even give you the extra dmg required on stall teams.

Yh offensive sand> sand stall. Sand doesn't even give you the extra dmg required on stall teams.
I know they're better per se, the question is more: Why can't we make sand stall work TOO? It would be a more unconventional way of abusing weather. Usually you want something like sand rush to double speed and sweep, in this case you just want sand as an additional form of residual damage, to support hazards and PHazing, while having a team that mostly is not affected by the sandstorm itself?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know they're better per se, the question is more: Why can't we make sand stall work TOO? It would be a more unconventional way of abusing weather. Usually you want something like sand rush to double speed and sweep, in this case you just want sand as an additional form of residual damage, to support hazards and PHazing, while having a team that mostly is not affected by the sandstorm itself?
Mostly because sand is limited to 5/8 turns as of gen 6, meaning that you have to keep sending your sand setter in in order to really make use of it, which isn't always possible, especially when you're running a defensive team and need to keep everything as healthy as possible. It's better to make use of the limited sand turns by sweeping the opposing team.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And thats also why stall variants that existed on gen 5, like rain stall and sun stall, arent a thing anymore. Weather cutted down to limited turns means you are better making use of those turns offensively, like Albacore said.

Was on the ladder this past two days and I seem to run into Rain teams with Mega Swampert often (like 1 every 2 games). May I know what is the trigger for this sudden rise?

Also, something I have been wondering - why is Force Palm Breloom not a thing? It's an STAB move boosted by Technician and has a nice 30% chance to inflict Paralysis. Sure, things like Grass-types don't care about Para but this totally cripples mons like Talonflame, Torn-T, Mega Metagross and Zards.

Last edited:
What are common checks for threats against all out attacker M-Gardevoir and defensive support Ttar ? Curerntly trying to build a team around those twos, but I am not entirely sure how to proceed from that point on since I can't decide which mon to pick to check/switch in for steel types.

Ok, so I'm creating an offensive team and was wondering the following:
  1. Is ScarfChomp used as much as BulkyChomp?
  2. What is a the usual set for ScarfChomp?
  3. What is a great counter for ScarfChomp?
Any info regarding this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)