Lower Tiers ORAS NU Viability Rankings

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why are we still arguing about vanilluxe, good God? It has its niche as a strong ice type with a decent base speed while being able to have a form of priority to take out weakened mons. It has already dropped to somewhere in c rank because it still has strong ice attacks and ice will also be good in nu, so just leave it

I definitely disagree with this. Charizard is in the right place in A+, because it has a lot more going for it than Pyroar and I think it's unfair and not right to compare it to Pyroar. Pyroar only has Specs/LO/Flame Plate, with lacking coverage.
Charizard on the other hand, has a plethora of sets that all accomplish different things and support teams in different ways.
In all honesty, Deej actually has a solid point to compare them. And I wouldn't say Charziard supports teams as teams support him, some players even complain in the NU room about how it's tough to pull off his sets anyways. And sure Pyroar has lacking coverage but when you think about it, being able to hit past substitutes with Hyper Voice and being able to pull off will-o-wisp is definitely not that bad. And sure Zard's choice specs hits hard but it does have counters:
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 124-146 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- 82.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 88-104 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
And if you mean all sets, well I would say thats kind of true but, with the new team preview so it doesn't really matter as you know if it's going to be special or physical and Steelix with Toxic and Roar can be good with Lanturn and Sliggoo; as physical zard isn't really touching Steelix unless it has eq in which it has to trade wisp for and lix can just toxic it and pressure it.
By the way, sure Charizard has wisp to punish switch-ins but I would rather use U-turn Scyther to gain momentum and constantly pressure the other team as wisp invites in fat mons that can just take off the status and spread status right back; I mean, sure it takes up some turns but it can be quite annoying. And U-turn can be more beneficial as some players have complained about choice lock zard while with Scyther it can get out with STAB U-turn and keep up the momentum as well as being easier to get to your spinner/defogger safer. Also, Charizard isn't that bulky so some rock moves will keep it down for the count and some physical monsters can afford to run rock-type moves such as Hariyama.
Just in my honest opinion, whatever set you are running with zard, there is probably another mon that can do it better and then some while actually being easier to use.
Seriously A- or A rank are not bad ranks so I don't see the problem. I mean, it's outclassed, its hard to use as other players have said before. Some players that play a lot like Deej even think DD is the better set and think that that set is pretty crappy. It has 4mss. It can be bad with momentum. It's speed tier isn't the best. It can't bluff as well as sceptile can about being physical or special due to team preview. ETC ETC ETC. BUT it can still be good just not A+ good.
Look at the other A+ rank mons, they don't need as much help as Charizard does, they function really well and they don't get so easily stopped by what they are trying to accomplish. Sure, Swellow may not be able to 2HKO the whole tier BUT at least it has U-turn AND it has tailwind for support. Garbador is the best spiker in the tier and it's so annoying to verse as it can threaten gunk shot poisoning on defoggers and rapid spinners as well as aftermath shenanigans. A lot of these mons aren't as easily pressured as zard is. They still function no matter what, Charizard does not. To me, maybe Charizard can fit in well with the A rank mons as a lot of those mons can put in work and are dangerous but they can be stopped.

i honestly think the best set on vanilluxe is icicle plate w/ freeze dry / ib / ice shard / toxic since toxic lets you bop and wear down switch ins like yama / magmortar. you dont even need coverage because freeze dry + IB hits everything in the tier barring fires, especially because our 2 relevant defensive steels are neutral to ice. i think what punch is missing, and why vanilluxe should most definitely stay at least C+ is that it acts as a stupidly strong breaker (because nobody brings ice, let alone freeze dry resists. if you went over the SPL stats i could guarantee that >50% of the teams wont have an ice resist) that isn't directly forced out by sceptile / swellow due to the fact that it's not locked into any of its moves and can threaten them immediately with ice shard. the point about lapras and ice shard doesnt make any sense cause lapras is ALWAYS choiced which means that it's never going to click ice shard unless you specifically bring it in to, which doesnt make any sense.

also please stop making over-exaggerations in your posts to try and either prove your point or discredit someone else's. obviously glalie is a completely different situation because it hits like wet paper and vanilluxe is actually strong. it just makes you come off as worse and doesn't really improve the quality of the discussion or the subforum. i'll post more on zard later cause its amazing

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It has its niche as a strong ice type with a decent base speed while being able to have a form of priority to take out weakened mons. It has already dropped to somewhere in c rank because it still has strong ice attacks and ice will also be good in nu, so just leave it
If Ice attacks alone made a Pokemon, the likes of Regice, Rotom-F, and Cryogonal would not be in such deplorable positions.

The base Speed difference between Lapras and Vanilluxe honestly only matters when it comes to fighting Abomasnow, and Vanilluxe isn't exactly killing Aboma in a hurry either since it cannot afford Flash Cannon, more on this later (also at which point you may simply consider your own Abomasnow instead). Aside from that, everything that occupies that Speed tier are either opponents Vanilluxe still loses to or are opponents Lapras can still handle. Even the aforementioned cases in Ludicolo and Barbaracle are not good examples since they would hardly ever face a mon that risks easily KOing them without boosting their Speed first; no team uses Vanilluxe under the impression that they are sufficiently safeguarded against those two. In the event that those two are boosted, a healthy Lapras still fares better since it can at least try to tank the Giga Drain / +2 non-Stone Edge attack instead of getting drowned by boosted Water attacks like Vanilluxe would.

Why are we still arguing about vanilluxe, good God?
You tell me; I am running out of arguments to give while the only rebuttals I've had so far fall along the lines of "Vanilluxe can do things too" without actually explaining what they are. I mean the E Ranks can 'do things too' if that's the logic used here.

I've had to deduce for myself that Vanilluxe's only true niche lies in a singular moveset in Ice Beam / Freeze-Dry / Ice Shard / Explosion, aka the only moveset it can run that doesn't leave it hopelessly outclassed by something; none of that HP Ground or Flash Cannon shit. Am I the only one who acknowledges Vanilluxe's sole role as a sort of hyper-offensive suicide Thick Fat lure? I don't know why Can-Eh-Dian is taking the much slower Toxic route with his Vanilluxe when it cannot afford to, nor do I understand the notion that Lapras "being always Choiced" prevents it from considering Life Orb at all. So you can bring up this funky alternate Vanilluxe set and yet shun the idea of LO Lapras? Do you not see something odd with this sentiment?

I don't usually try to overexaggerate/rant about something, but I legitimately don't understand what you people see in Vanilluxe that makes you rate it so much higher than the C and C- Rank mons, or even the D mons. Vanilluxe is heavily outclassed in any other role, especially the wallbreaker part, since literally the only worthwhile thing Vanilluxe can do that Lapras can't is Explosion, which basically defines this Pokemon at this rate. And even then, its niche of luring Freeze-Dry resists and blowing them up can be put into question against faster variants of Grumpig and AV Magmortar, though going Naive to help with this shouldn't be a huge deal since it is the only thing Vanilluxe has got going for it. Oh, you're saying triple STAB + Explosion leaves it walled by Aurorus and Piloswine? Well TOO BAD, that's what you signed up for when you considered Vanilluxe; and it's far more practical to just use Lapras instead of putting Flash Cannon on your Vanilluxe at that point.

Oh, Vanilluxe's troubles aren't over yet! It's one thing to have a cool lure set; it's another thing to have the lure set be your only truly viable set. This not only opens up many consistency issues compared to the other Ice-types (when would you consider Vanilluxe over other Ice-types?), but also means that Vanilluxe's surprise factor gets weakened as a result, which is kind of a bad thing since Explosion can only be used once. The Explosion niche thing warrants like a C- / D Rank for Vanilluxe at the very best (and that depends on how popular Freeze-Dry resists are). Judging from what you said about the scarcity of Freeze-Dry resists, that honestly only serves to weaken Vanilluxe's niche as opposed to strengthening it, and it's likely only going to go downhill for Vanilluxe from there, sooner or later (probably starting from Sceptile getting the boot, if it happens).

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In all honesty, Deej actually has a solid point to compare them. And I wouldn't say Charziard supports teams as teams support him, some players even complain in the NU room about how it's tough to pull off his sets anyways. And sure Pyroar has lacking coverage but when you think about it, being able to hit past substitutes with Hyper Voice and being able to pull off will-o-wisp is definitely not that bad. And sure Zard's choice specs hits hard but it does have counters:
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 124-146 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- 82.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 88-104 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
And if you mean all sets, well I would say thats kind of true but, with the new team preview so it doesn't really matter as you know if it's going to be special or physical and Steelix with Toxic and Roar can be good with Lanturn and Sliggoo; as physical zard isn't really touching Steelix unless it has eq in which it has to trade wisp for and lix can just toxic it and pressure it.
By the way, sure Charizard has wisp to punish switch-ins but I would rather use U-turn Scyther to gain momentum and constantly pressure the other team as wisp invites in fat mons that can just take off the status and spread status right back; I mean, sure it takes up some turns but it can be quite annoying. And U-turn can be more beneficial as some players have complained about choice lock zard while with Scyther it can get out with STAB U-turn and keep up the momentum as well as being easier to get to your spinner/defogger safer. Also, Charizard isn't that bulky so some rock moves will keep it down for the count and some physical monsters can afford to run rock-type moves such as Hariyama.
Just in my honest opinion, whatever set you are running with zard, there is probably another mon that can do it better and then some while actually being easier to use.
Seriously A- or A rank are not bad ranks so I don't see the problem. I mean, it's outclassed, its hard to use as other players have said before. Some players that play a lot like Deej even think DD is the better set and think that that set is pretty crappy. It has 4mss. It can be bad with momentum. It's speed tier isn't the best. It can't bluff as well as sceptile can about being physical or special due to team preview. ETC ETC ETC. BUT it can still be good just not A+ good.
Look at the other A+ rank mons, they don't need as much help as Charizard does, they function really well and they don't get so easily stopped by what they are trying to accomplish. Sure, Swellow may not be able to 2HKO the whole tier BUT at least it has U-turn AND it has tailwind for support. Garbador is the best spiker in the tier and it's so annoying to verse as it can threaten gunk shot poisoning on defoggers and rapid spinners as well as aftermath shenanigans. A lot of these mons aren't as easily pressured as zard is. They still function no matter what, Charizard does not. To me, maybe Charizard can fit in well with the A rank mons as a lot of those mons can put in work and are dangerous but they can be stopped.
I don't want to go too in-depth in to this argument because I don't want to come over as a rude, hardheaded person because I 100% respect your opinion and can see where you are coming from.
I think there are many more things to go over on the Viability rankings, one of which I will go which is why I'm going to keep it short but here are some things that Zard has over Pyroar:
- It's a fighting check. even though it's highly pressured by SR, it can still come in on most Hariyama and Hitmonchan sets, especially the Physical wisp-set, which doesn't have an item and makes it an even easier switch-in to Knock Off. Sure, its a shaky check, but it can switch in to most things while Pyroar can't as it will easily get boned by a Mach Punch / CC.
- It has recovery in Roost and isn't limited to max. 5x switching in when SR are on the field as it can find an opportunity to Roost off most damage dealt to it when switching in to things that it resists. Zard also has actual defensive utility, which Pyroar absolutely doesn't.

And if you mean all sets, well I would say thats kind of true but, with the new team preview so it doesn't really matter as you know if it's going to be special or physical
Yeah I have to agree with you here. the surprise factor isn't really a big deal, even though people normally don't really pay attention to items in the team preview. It's a good way to scout though, although I think I saw someone post something about special zard w/o an item and Acrobatics > Air Slash, which looked really promising to me. The surprise-factor is fairly small with Zard, but the same thing can be said for Pyroar. there are 3 main moves and then a toss-up between WoW, Overheat, Flame Charge, Wild Charge, or Taunt. I'd say the former ones are the most used and I haven't seen Wild Charge being used a lot at all, as it's more of a counterteam-thing.

with that being said I definitely can see where you are coming from but I think Zard is right where it belongs at the higher end of A+.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok now I also wanted to touch on this thing as it has been sitting at A+ for way too long and I think it's good enough to be S-Rank.
A+ -> S
Steelix is pretty much a staple on almost all Balance-teams, because it is so good at what it's supposed to do. It checks so many things and there is almost no reason not to consider using it as a Rocker on stall-balance teams, and even on offensive teams that need a solid pivot + rocker.
Steelix is easily comparable to the other bulky grounds in the tier but the Steel-typing does it really well and here are some things Steelix has over Rhydon, Piloswine or Torterra.
  • it can switch-in and beat Musharna without too much trouble. most Musharna's run Psyshock (atleast in my experience) and even after a couple of CMs, Steelix has no trouble dealing with it as Heavy Slam + Toxic is way too much damage for Mushy to handle.
  • not losing to Kangaspikes as badly as the other rockers. Steelix' immunity to Toxic Spikes, resistance to normal, combined with taking pitiful damage from Earthquake/DrainPunch.
  • not having an exploitable (4x) weakness which makes it hard to lure in. Rhydon can be lured and beaten by Swellow's HP Grass while it is supposed to be a counter to Swellow. Steelix, on the other hand, is weak to Heat Wave, but 1. doesn't take that much from it and 2. will see it coming and is always wary of it.
  • it will almost always get up SR, because of Sturdy. Xatu (common) and Taunt-users (not-so-common) are the only thing that stop it from getting up SR, and with the amount of spinners we have, those rocks are there to annoy your opponents team for the most of the game. most defoggers really hate Toxic too (Pelipper, Mantine) which most Steelix' run too.
One of the few reasons I can see for Steelix not to go S-Rank is that Xatu beats it, which is pretty huge. Regular defensive Xatu doesn't get 2HKOd by Heavy Slam and always prevents Rocks. This is a really valid argument against it going S-Rank but honestly Xatu isn't a staple on most teams and has to be wary of not getting Pursuit-trapped in order to keep SR off the field for as long as possible.

There hasn't been that much discussion on Steelix, but I think there should be more posts and thoughts about it since ever since it has joined the tier it's been popular as shit, and there's a good reason for that.

I don't want to go too in-depth in to this argument because I don't want to come over as a rude, hardheaded person because I 100% respect your opinion and can see where you are coming from.
I think there are many more things to go over on the Viability rankings, one of which I will go which is why I'm going to keep it short but here are some things that Zard has over Pyroar:
- It's a fighting check. even though it's highly pressured by SR, it can still come in on most Hariyama and Hitmonchan sets, especially the Physical wisp-set, which doesn't have an item and makes it an even easier switch-in to Knock Off. Sure, its a shaky check, but it can switch in to most things while Pyroar can't as it will easily get boned by a Mach Punch / CC.
- It has recovery in Roost and isn't limited to max. 5x switching in when SR are on the field as it can find an opportunity to Roost off most damage dealt to it when switching in to things that it resists. Zard also has actual defensive utility, which Pyroar absolutely doesn't.

Yeah I have to agree with you here. the surprise factor isn't really a big deal, even though people normally don't really pay attention to items in the team preview. It's a good way to scout though, although I think I saw someone post something about special zard w/o an item and Acrobatics > Air Slash, which looked really promising to me. The surprise-factor is fairly small with Zard, but the same thing can be said for Pyroar. there are 3 main moves and then a toss-up between WoW, Overheat, Flame Charge, Wild Charge, or Taunt. I'd say the former ones are the most used and I haven't seen Wild Charge being used a lot at all, as it's more of a counterteam-thing.

with that being said I definitely can see where you are coming from but I think Zard is right where it belongs at the higher end of A+.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok now I also wanted to touch on this thing as it has been sitting at A+ for way too long and I think it's good enough to be S-Rank.
A+ -> S
Steelix is pretty much a staple on almost all Balance-teams, because it is so good at what it's supposed to do. It checks so many things and there is almost no reason not to consider using it as a Rocker on stall-balance teams, and even on offensive teams that need a solid pivot + rocker.
Steelix is easily comparable to the other bulky grounds in the tier but the Steel-typing does it really well and here are some things Steelix has over Rhydon, Piloswine or Torterra.
  • it can switch-in and beat Musharna without too much trouble. most Musharna's run Psyshock (atleast in my experience) and even after a couple of CMs, Steelix has no trouble dealing with it as Heavy Slam + Toxic is way too much damage for Mushy to handle.
  • not losing to Kangaspikes as badly as the other rockers. Steelix' immunity to Toxic Spikes, resistance to normal, combined with taking pitiful damage from Earthquake/DrainPunch.
  • not having an exploitable (4x) weakness which makes it hard to lure in. Rhydon can be lured and beaten by Swellow's HP Grass while it is supposed to be a counter to Swellow. Steelix, on the other hand, is weak to Heat Wave, but 1. doesn't take that much from it and 2. will see it coming and is always wary of it.
  • it will almost always get up SR, because of Sturdy. Xatu (common) and Taunt-users (not-so-common) are the only thing that stop it from getting up SR, and with the amount of spinners we have, those rocks are there to annoy your opponents team for the most of the game. most defoggers really hate Toxic too (Pelipper, Mantine) which most Steelix' run too.
One of the few reasons I can see for Steelix not to go S-Rank is that Xatu beats it, which is pretty huge. Regular defensive Xatu doesn't get 2HKOd by Heavy Slam and always prevents Rocks. This is a really valid argument against it going S-Rank but honestly Xatu isn't a staple on most teams and has to be wary of not getting Pursuit-trapped in order to keep SR off the field for as long as possible.

There hasn't been that much discussion on Steelix, but I think there should be more posts and thoughts about it since ever since it has joined the tier it's been popular as shit, and there's a good reason for that.
To be honest Ive been running a more offensive variant of Steelix with 244 HP/ +176 Atk/88 SPdef that can pressure Non-Max Def Xatus that run 252hp/252 Def Timid by being able to 2hko them 26% of the time while they can only 2hko you with heat wave 14% of the time (and they have to hit twice). Plus most Xatus are switching into Lix to prevent rocks so they are playing a risky game with spamming Roost and praying you dont get a crit/high rolls. However, Max Def Xatus with Bold or Xatus with Rocky Helmet give you issues however Max Def Xatu gives up a good speed tier for things like Base 70s and it can easily get 2hkoed by Chans Ice Punch now that it cant outspeed and bop with psyshock. Also giving up on Colbur means they have to run another fighting resist. Also, giving up on a bit of spdef isnt the worst thing in the world since Tauros isnt too common and they are running Scarf mostly so they dont have the LO to 2hko you with FBlast plus they have to be locked into Fblast in the first place which is setting them back. Rambling at this point but I dont see why Lix cant get around Xatu and on more offensive teams it can just run SF LO special with rocks and easily 2hko Xatu unless it gets some CMs under its belt first.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes yes Lapras and Vanilluxe are not the exact same Pokemon, and neither are Ursaring and Zangoose, or Kingler and Samurott, etc. Do these minuscule semantics really matter in the larger picture here, because simply being "unique" does not save a mon from being unranked around here; the existence of an E Rank to begin with is proof enough.

See this is what I don't understand about this: you say these are the reasons you say that Lapras cannot afford Life Orb while Vanilluxe 'can', but why even bother with Vanilluxe at all? I don't see why LO Lapras cannot operate in a similar fashion to LO Vanilluxe about not eating direct hits (albeit it takes them much better) while still having the option to switch into things, while Vanilluxe barely offers anything in return; a slightly better Speed tier to outspeed a select few Pokemon and a stronger Freeze-Dry that doesn't net much more KOes aren't reasons to warrant Vanilluxe over Lapras alone, and the other offensive Ice-types kind of overshadow it from there. In any case, if Abomasnow's Snow Warning and overlapping weaknesses with fellow Grass-types is bothersome, this still does not particularly justify Vanilluxe over Lapras. I can tell from these examples that Vanilluxe is just another "super-team-specific mon" that has to dig around for all sorts of scenarios to warrant use over its competition.
I guess that's true to some extent but if you're not running Lapras for its defensive merit I'd still use Vanilluxe most of the time. It's faster (which does in fact matter against a bunch of threats I've already talked about) and a stronger Ice Beam is still useful because Water resists are more common than Ice resists. Explosion is also more effective vs most Thick Fat mons than Pump.
I don't really know what argument you're trying to make about Vanilluxe's advantages over Lapras being "intact"; just know that the Hydro Pump advantage alone overshadows whatever advantages Vanilluxe has by a huge margin. One of Vanilluxe's biggest issues is its reliance on iffy coverage moves like HP Ground and Flash Cannon to circumvent resists, or be forced to use Explosion to trade 1v1 instead of punching through cores over time, not to mention the 4MSS Vanilluxe would face by having to fit dual Ice STAB + coverage moves + Explosion + Ice Shard. Meanwhile all Lapras needs is dual STAB (which can easily include Ice Shard), which gives it fairly consistent power even if it whiffs its intended target.

But hey like if you want to keep Vanilluxe ranked so badly, might as well rerank Glalie to C Rank as well eh? Its Freeze-Dry, like Lapras's, still nets similiar KOes as Vanilluxe's, it also has Ice Shard and Explosion, it actually hits the 80 Speed tier. Hell, it has Earthquake to hit Magmortar and Super Fang to smack Hariyama; you don't even need Explosion! It gets Spikes too, so why not? Surely a Pokemon with so many "unique" advantages deserves even more credit than Vanilluxe amirite? Why not rank other things like Furfrou, Unfezant, Wigglytuff, Ariados, etc.?
lol I thought this would've been obvious if you thought about it like, at all, but you're either just not understanding my points or refusing to understand. Mayhaps the reason Vanilluxe is better than some stupid LO Glalie set is that it actually WORKS in practice, and because people have found reasons to run it on certain teams? Idk why you're so fixated on comparing every other set you talk about to random shitty ones, but you're not pulling that on me. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
But seriously though, why do we insist at keeping Vanilluxe ranked like our lives depended on it? Mons like Ampharos, Kingler, and Ursaring that could also theoretically work on paper didn't receive anywhere near as much unwarranted support. Even PU acknowledges how bad it is.
PU also doesn't have Sliggoo ranked. Sliggoo for E???

And as a matter of fact, I have used Vanilluxe, so if you're just gonna accuse me of theorymonning and ignore all my points I'm done responding to you.

Thanks for respecting my opinion man, and I don't think you're rude at all. I'm just going to make one last post about Charizard going to A/A- then I'm done as I don't want to seem like I'm harping on this subject.
As you've said though, Charizard is a shaky check to fighting types which goes along with my point that it doesn't do it's job right and I'd rather use a different pokemon that's more reliable at being a fighting check/counter. And you said that Pyroar offers no defensive utility and actually it does, it can come in on Articuno and and threaten it out with a fire blast, it can give ice types a tough time sometimes. Pyroar can also come in on hex users and prevent wisp abuse. Of course, t-wave and volt switch can be a hassle. It also can come in on gourgeist and force it out and if Hariyama is sitting in the back, it can wisp it just like zard can. So, as you can see, it can pull off some cheeky things too.
Also, Charizard is forced to roost which gives the opponent a free turn most of the time, with that being said, it can have a timer too like Pyroar does when coming in on rocks. And that's also IF charizard is running roost and not a choice specs or LO all-out-attacking set.
Can't wait to read your post by the way Can-Eh-Dian.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I guess that's true to some extent but if you're not running Lapras for its defensive merit I'd still use Vanilluxe most of the time. It's faster (which does in fact matter against a bunch of threats I've already talked about) and a stronger Ice Beam is still useful because Water resists are more common than Ice resists. Explosion is also more effective vs most Thick Fat mons than Pump.
- You're making it sound as if LO Lapras suddenly loses all of its defensive merit, even though it still has more of it compared to Vanilluxe.
- I've explained countless times how the Speed rarely ever matters; it'd matter more if Vanilluxe can actually secure reliable KOes on the things it outspeeds to avoid damage altogether, but it usually doesn't. And how likely is it that Vanilluxe would get to face off against unboosted Ludicolo / Barbaracle as opposed to +2 Speed Ludi and Barb? Barb needs to have Stone Edge / Cross Chop to pose a threat to Lapras in the first place, which it usually doesn't carry.
- Lapras doesn't have to be too concerned about Water resists when it can, you know, STAB Freeze-Dry them. Lapras has pretty much the perfect move to complement its most powerful attack; Vanilluxe's Ice Beam + Freeze-Dry coverage is much narrower in comparison, and its best (only) response against Freeze-Dry resists involves blowing itself up.
- You're making a big deal out of this whole 'stronger Ice move' thing, but realize that being the strongest at a particular move doesn't always mean something if they don't offer enough over the competition (how many times do I have to bring up Kingler, Ursaring, and Ampharos?).

lol I thought this would've been obvious if you thought about it like, at all, but you're either just not understanding my points or refusing to understand. Mayhaps the reason Vanilluxe is better than some stupid LO Glalie set is that it actually WORKS in practice, and because people have found reasons to run it on certain teams? Idk why you're so fixated on comparing every other set you talk about to random shitty ones, but you're not pulling that on me.
- The Glalie comment was half-facetious, it was more a jab at the concept at anything being made 'viable' if the standards are set low enough. And let's be real here, that Glalie set I suggested isn't that far off from Vanilluxe in terms of execution: you lure the Freeze-Dry resist and blow up on it, while having Ice Shard to justify its usefulness outside of that role, just that its lesser power makes it even worse at this (although its Explosion is pretty sufficiently powerful). But hey, better Speed tier and access to Spikes, that gotta mean something right?? (no, no it doesn't)
- The more enlightening fact here is that you're implying that Glalie set I posted is 'shitty' instead of 'being even worse than Vanilluxe'. This leads me to believe that you're more bashing on the fact that the Glalie set's niche is bad as opposed to being outclassed. If that were the case, is Vanilluxe's niche even that great (by which I mean good enough for C+) in the first place?

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
And as a matter of fact, I have used Vanilluxe, so if you're just gonna accuse me of theorymonning and ignore all my points I'm done responding to you.
First off, when did I ever imply that you have not used Vanilluxe / theorymonning? Secondly, pot calling the kettle black here?

Look, I acknowledge that Vanilluxe has some sort of niche, aka Exploding on Freeze-Dry resists and has access to Ice Shard. The first bit can be cool for supporting your Fire-types, and Ice Shard helps to keep it somewhat relevant should it not be able to pull off the BOOM properly. However, how valuable / practical is this niche? For starters, you're not using Vanilluxe for its powerful Freeze-Dry (Aurorus and Lapras have shown that Freeze-Drys only need to be sufficiently powerful in this tier) and certainly not for the strength of its Ice Beam (several more powerful Ice-types are available). If one wanted an Ice-type attacker that can fend off Water-types and have Ice Shard, there are still options (Aboma and Lapras). This relegates Vanilluxe's only role to pretty much just an Explosion lure with a moderately strong Ice Shard. At this point, the conditions for justifying Vanilluxe's role on a team are so super-specific it borders on the line of counterteaming; I'd argue you'd likely be better off just tweaking / innovating one of our good Ice-types to handle your teambuilding issues. Nearly, if not every Pokemon in the lower ranks seem far less team-specific than Vanilluxe in comparison. I for one find it extremely difficult to believe you hadn't wished your Vanilluxe were some other Ice-type a majority of the time, but at this point I've exhausted myself on trying to reason with you anymore. I'll come back to Vanilluxe if Sceptile leaves the tier, since that would serve to devalue its Ice Shard, and Vanilluxe's worth in this tier, even further.

Btw remember the whole situation regarding my rant on BW Carracosta to drop in Rank which resulted in the removal of my badge, only for it to happen anyway and I managed to reearn my badge anyway? You're only delaying the inevitable here, ras.

Last edited:
ok no more Vanilluxe discussion. It is now blacklisted. Punchshroom, we have voted on it before and most people disagree with you. If I see any more Vanilluxe discussion in the next while it will be deleted and infracted.

Kiyo edit:

SERIOUSLY GUYS STOP ATTACKING EACH OTHER, IF YOU POST ABOUT ANOTHER USER IN A NEGATIVE WAY I'M DONE WITH THE WARNINGS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cased

Banned deucer.
S Rank: Pokemon in this rank fill all of the main criteria and then some with a strong proficiency in one or more of the positive traits. If a Pokemon in this rank has any downsides, they are usually tame or eclipsed by their obvious assets.

A Pokemon I think fits that description definitely has to be Tauros.
A -> A+/S: How do you even prep for this thing? It 2hkos just about everything in this tier after Stealth Rock. I believe Iron Tail over Zen Headbutt is the best set since you can cause so much damage to Mega-Audino, Rhydon Cradily, non-Roosting Archeops, and things of that nature. I just don't see what's a great switch-in to this Pokemon. Bulky SubRotom is pretty bad currently in my opinion, which is the only thing you can really switch-in /comfortably/. It's also one of the only Offensive Pokemon in the tier where all its switch-ins must be at 100% in order to switch-in without huge threat of 2hko! It backs this up with great Speed, which is what separates it from basically all the Pokemon that 2hko the tier (Rampardos, Abomasnow, etc you know). It has really solid Defense for an Offensive Pokemon, and by experience, it's much harder to check with priority than most Offensive Pokemon. I know it's a prediction game because you don't always Earthquake that Omastar, switch-in, Fire Blast that Steelix switch-in, and Iron Tail that Rhydon on the switch, but I just think its Sheer power (pun), Speed, and lack of reliable switch-ins (even good switchins) make it really tough to handle, making it worthy of S! Its only downsides I can see to Tauros is the fact that it is technically set-up fodder for Shell Smash Pokemon if played correctly, -SpD nature for effective use of Fire Blast (dont switch-in on special moves), and it's revenged by the best thing in the tier, but hey who isn't? I think those are eclipsed by Tauros's assets. I'll settle for A+ until Sceptile leaves the tier.

dam my callout got removed, hate Mr. Incredible Kiyo

Last edited:
from C+ to B+
So basically this mon is ridiculously good without Sawk in the tier. 2 fantastic defensive abilities, amazing utility, great bulk, versatile movepool, reliable recovery, the list just goes on. Not to mention having decent speed, allowing it to outspeed wallbreakers such as Samurott with minimal investment. So your crucial Heal Bells are no longer stopped by stupid Taunt users (some of them at least)! Hell, Miltank can even act as a wincon with Curse while still keeping its cleric utility. Have I mentioned that it's probably the most reliable defensive ice resist in the tier? With Sawk gone from the tier, stall is becoming a serious force in the meta largely thanks to Miltank becoming this impenetrable wall. Oh and it gets Thunder Wave. This is a big rise but honestly this is the mon that has benefitted the most from Sawk getting the axe and it should be reflected as such.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
In addition to the above Miltank post I would add you can use Punishment on Miltank to be a surprisingly great CM Xatu counter when in conjunction with Body Slam's paralysis chance. This also lets you run Thick Fat while being able to target Rotom and Mismagius still, the latter of which you easily 2HKO after a Nasty Plot Boost and you have a good chance to OHKO if it Subbed down or took SR + two turns of Life Orb recoil.

The drawback to this is that you cannot use Miltank as a reliable Psychic counter for your stall team since Mesprit does too much with +1 Psychic and Musharna doesn't get 2HKO by Punishment after 2 CM boosts. Additionally Punishment has low PP which can always be a problem if your opponent is smart. Overall however you have to give credit to Miltank for its other roles (one of the best clerics and Ice resistances).

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

A ---> A+
This is definately one of the most hardest hitting Pokemon in the tier and alongside its good speed tier makes it a top threat. Its coverage is phenomenal being able to run and lure everything it feels like it wants to which is really nice for teambuilding. I do understand that the meta is infested of Rotom but there are plenty of checks and good teambuilding. Work Up is terrifying if you lack a revenge killer being able to just snap bones by its fingertips. Not to mention it can be slapped onto an offensive team like 80% of the time. For such as powerful and defining Pokemon it should be A+

Small thought, not really a nomination:
Could Vigoroth move higher? Like, I know it's still really outclassed but with some of its biggest threats and counters in Sawk and Gurdurr gone, it can now maintain a higher niche and could possible be considered for C- or something? It's still terrible but I think it might be able to function a bit better in its unique role now that some of its biggest checks are gone.

Is there also a chance that Throh might move up? Before it was really outclassed but now I think it has the ability to fill the gap that Sawk and Gurdurr left behind.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Short update this time around.
Code:
Rises:
Tauros A -> A+
Miltank C+ -> B

Drops:
Vanilluxe C+ -> C
Rotom-S A- -> B+
Camerupt B- -> C+
Nominations that we did not follow through with:
Code:
Steelix A+ -> S
Dodrio C- -> C
Charizard A+ -> A
Given that it was a pretty significant nomination, I'll give some explanation on why Steelix was not moved up, paraphrased from Hootie:
It's kinda like Lando-T in OU in the sense that it's really reliable pivot into a lot of the meta, but it's never all that threatening by itself unless it specializes in the specific role, its also find it not too hard to wear down throughout the course of the match.
Aubisio We just voted on Vigoroth and Throh in the last update before this one, and I would like to see some more discussion on them with some stronger arguments and evidence to back it up before considering to move them up. I understand that these two amongst some others have received a fair amount of "hype" with the absence of Sawk and Gurdurr but just saying that its counters are gone or that it fills a gap that was left behind isn't really enough. I'm not entirely opposed to moving them up in the near future, but some more discussion on them would be appreciated, especially on Vigoroth.

Im just going to quickly state why Throh should move up to B- or B:

The fist and most obvious reason, Sawk is gone as well as Gurdurr. This is really big for all fighting types that are Hariyama because it gives them more of a niche. Especially Throh; Throh is similar to Gurdurr because it sets up Bulk Up and aims to be a late game sweeper that relies on bulk to eat up priority and Flying-type moves. However the path splits when you take into account Circle Throw. With the rise of KangaSpikes and hazard stacking in general it is much more advantageous to have a Pokemon that can phase things out and do damage to them at the same time no less. Not to mention that with drops like Steelix to eat up Flying-type attacks as well as the rise of Rotom for spin blocking, taking out defoggers and its ability to cripple Pokemon with trick or status very easily allows Throh to abuse this niche even more. Also, Throh is damn bulky which is really nice in this meta, it also only has 3 2x weaknesses and with Swellow opting to run Specs as well as the sheer lack of Fairy-types in NU Throh truly has to worry about Psychic-types and special nukes like Sceptile. But the best thing is that your opponent can't really switch into Throh. If they switch they risk letting you either BU, Rest, or Circle Throw. If your opponent switches out to a Ghost-type they have to worry about not only stopping Throh but also the possibility of Knock Off. Throh can even opt to run Ice Punch or some other coverage move that fits its team. I almost completely forgot to mention it, Throh gets Guts; Guts works amazingly well with RestTalk and on a Bulk Up user in general. Nothing will want to status you.

Just to show of its bulk against some heavy hitters:

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 153-180 (34.4 - 40.5%) -- 49.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 191-226 (43 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Xatu Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 250-296 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 170-204 (38.2 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And at +1 Throh can dish out some nice chip damage:

+1 0 Atk Throh Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 280-330 (103.3 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Throh Circle Throw vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 104-126 (29.5 - 35.7%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (granted it isn't a lot steelix also has to go through hazards if spike stack and it doesnt get to stay in)
+1 0 Atk Throh Circle Throw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 114-134 (32.3 - 38%) -- 95.2% chance to 3HKO

And after Guts:

+1 0 Atk Guts Throh Circle Throw vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 158-188 (44.8 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Guts Throh Circle Throw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 168-198 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Guts Throh Circle Throw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Audino: 118-141 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 Atk Guts Throh Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 250-296 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

These calcs are here just for some quick demonstrations, there will always be different situations. It should be noted that it isn't even that difficult to get Throh to +1 and Throh can really abuse mons that are passive or mons that have somewhat weak special hits.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Gonna try and fight rank inflation here

A+ => A-

Busken has three main sets: special sweeper, physical sweeper and support.
Special sweeper just isn't worth it imo. Three of our top 5 fast special wallbreakers are fire types already which means people are prepared and our poor chicken faces stiff competition. The 2 main things combusken has over them is speed boost and fighting stab which both really aren't worth the cons (like being much weaker than pyroar, zard and mag). Having 85% and a 70% acc moves as your two main stabs just makes this a bad set, statistically speaking (and this is a statistics game). Not to mention you have to run LO to acheive any sort of sweep which makes you vulnerable to just about any non-bug attack. This set alone imo is barely worth a C rank.
Second set is physical sweeper which is already much better and much more unique in the tier, but still has it's flaws. The thing is, setting up a SD means you're very likely to take some sort of damage on that turn and then you have to go around sweeping with a 1/3 recoil main stab with a shitty uninvested hp stat, so chances are you ain't going much further than 1 or 2 kills. Plus you don't really have a good fighting type move (sky uppercut being your best bet I believe), and there's still some stuff to wall you like quagy (who I could see rise with sawk gone).
Third set, support. More reliable than the 2 others to actually pass up some speed and access to wow is nice, but you can't burn the fire types you'd usualy think of setting up on and uninvested flare blitz ain't hurting them much either. The main downfall to this set however is simply there isn't that much in NU that highly benefits extra speed alone. Nothing comes close to sweeping in NU with just some extra speed and a sub if it's lucky. This means you're probably gonna have to set up again with whatever is recieving the boost and that's not exactly easy and slowly enters the gimmick team category.

A+ => B+

I like Kanga, but I don't think he should be this high. I mean his double priority is nice, but it seems to me it's really his main thing going for him. Getting in kanga is often a 2 turn notice for rocks on your side of the field as he's not prepared to face the great majority of rock setters of the tier even if he predicts the switch (in fact if you predict, you might aswell double switch). He isn't exactly killing much walls either actually. Gourgeist large, Mushy, Maudino and probably even quag (too lazy to calc) can all take a DE and heal off. I don't have much more to elaborate, I just don't see a reason to keep him this high, he's not that strong, not that fast (short to rotom and all 95's) and doesn't beat any particular top tier mon you really have to be cautios of. He just stops sweepers but even then he's super predictable and fake out/sucker punch are 2 of the easiest moves to switch into and he's one of the easiest mons to abuse with rocky helmet (switch in on fake out and DE recoil + helmet = huge recoil). Personnaly, for similar priority options, I'd choose yama over kanga any time (even though they're very different mons, the former just fullfills a lot more roles and isn't SR bait). Kanga is also one of the shittiest mons you can get when it comes to facing the rather popular standard stall team which carries gourgeist large, steelix, Maudino and sometimes quag (2 fillers are sliggoo and something with defog for those who don't know what team archetype I'm refering to).

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A+ => B+

I like Kanga, but I don't think he should be this high. I mean his double priority is nice, but it seems to me it's really his main thing going for him. Getting in kanga is often a 2 turn notice for rocks on your side of the field as he's not prepared to face the great majority of rock setters of the tier even if he predicts the switch (in fact if you predict, you might aswell double switch). He isn't exactly killing much walls either actually. Gourgeist large, Mushy, Maudino and probably even quag (too lazy to calc) can all take a DE and heal off. I don't have much more to elaborate, I just don't see a reason to keep him this high, he's not that strong, not that fast (short to rotom and all 95's) and doesn't beat any particular top tier mon you really have to be cautios of. He just stops sweepers but even then he's super predictable and fake out/sucker punch are 2 of the easiest moves to switch into and he's one of the easiest mons to abuse with rocky helmet (switch in on fake out and DE recoil + helmet = huge recoil). Personnaly, for similar priority options, I'd choose yama over kanga any time (even though they're very different mons, the former just fullfills a lot more roles and isn't SR bait). Kanga is also one of the shittiest mons you can get when it comes to facing the rather popular standard stall team which carries gourgeist large, steelix, Maudino and sometimes quag (2 fillers are sliggoo and something with defog for those who don't know what team archetype I'm refering to).
I really don't agree with this. Kangaskhan has been one of the most consistent mons and has such a big influence on the current metagame that it even has an entire team archetype devoted to it, called KangaSpikes. KangaSpikes is currently one of the most popular and consistent team archetypes on the ladder, mostly because it has such a good matchup vs. most other archetypes used, even vs. stall (if played expertly, of course). most teams rely on Xatu to keep off hazards, and Kangaskhan / KangaSpikes in general does a pretty good job at pressuring Xatu. I don't think Kanga should be compared to Hariyama just because they both have Fake Out. Kangaskhan isn't used only as a Fake Out mon, but shits on phys. def walls like Weezing (adamant silk scarf Double-Edge does around 45%), something Hariyama fails to do. and yeah, of course Kangaskhan has checks and counters, but every A+ mon has that. EQ does a significant amount to Steelix, and Steelix can easily be worn down throughout the match, especially with Spikes up. I do agree with the fact that it struggles vs. stall sometimes, but Adamant Silk Scarf Double-Edge pressures things like M-Audino quite a bit, although you do weaken yourself with Recoil quite a lot.
I really don't think Kangaskhan should be in the same boat as Rotom-Fan and Haunter.

Sweet Jesus

I really don't agree with this. Kangaskhan has been one of the most consistent mons and has such a big influence on the current metagame that it even has an entire team archetype devoted to it, called KangaSpikes. KangaSpikes is currently one of the most popular and consistent team archetypes on the ladder, mostly because it has such a good matchup vs. most other archetypes used, even vs. stall (if played expertly, of course). most teams rely on Xatu to keep off hazards, and Kangaskhan / KangaSpikes in general does a pretty good job at pressuring Xatu. I don't think Kanga should be compared to Hariyama just because they both have Fake Out. Kangaskhan isn't used only as a Fake Out mon, but shits on phys. def walls like Weezing (adamant silk scarf Double-Edge does around 45%), something Hariyama fails to do. and yeah, of course Kangaskhan has checks and counters, but every A+ mon has that. EQ does a significant amount to Steelix, and Steelix can easily be worn down throughout the match, especially with Spikes up. I do agree with the fact that it struggles vs. stall sometimes, but Adamant Silk Scarf Double-Edge pressures things like M-Audino quite a bit, although you do weaken yourself with Recoil quite a lot.
I really don't think Kangaskhan should be in the same boat as Rotom-Fan and Haunter.
Put 2 decent players against each other and make them play that stall archetype team I menitonned vs kanga spikes and I would bet on stall much more than I would on kangaspikes. If kangaspikes does win it will probably be 100% due to spikes and other team members and 0% due to kanga, let's face it. The only thing kanga does threaten of that team archetype is unboosted sliggoo and probably the defogger, so he's nowhere near threatening in terms of forcing switches.

I wasn't saying kanga is similar to yama and am not trying to compare them on what they can or cannot do. I'm just saying that I'd see yama fitting in a team more easily as a fake out + second priority user. I agree though, no one fills kanga's niche better than kanga, but his niche is nowhere near A+ level.

Now I don't agree about kangaspikes bieng that effective, but I mostly don't agree kanga abuses spikes support more than other mons enough to make him A+ level just because of it. Think of it for a second, nearly everything is good with spikes support and it's hard to say kanga causes that much more switches than anything else (phazers and voltturn do just as much). Now there's a couple of things I find misleading of your reply. First off «most teams rely on Xatu to keep off hazards». No, most teams rely on defog/spin and momentum (like not putting kanga on the field) to keep hazards off the field. The fact kanga himself is good against xatu is pretty irrelevant too, since he's not setting anything xatu wants to bounce back. Ok kanga does quite a lot to the levitating wall that is weezing, but it's still not 50% and after a wow or simply a third of weezing's hp (D-E) and 2 or 3 helmet damages, there isn't much interesting left of kanga and you're probably just wishing you had used tauros. Besides, you need quite a lot of spikes for kanga to deal with walls such as gourgeist super, steelix and rhydon. Audino can also abuse D-E recoil and regenerate if it hasn't already mega evolved.

In any case, keeping kanga this high just because he's good with spikes support ain't A+ material to my ears more than putting victreebell in A+ because it's good with sun support is to most people's ears. I really like kanga and I like his style and used him plenty in my four years of playing this game/tier. Without having thought this out, I'd probably be on your side, but after encountering a couple of kangas, using him and thinking this through, keeping him this high just seems misleading to people who don't know the tier, he's not a top tier threat, he's walled by just about any wall in the tier.

Last edited:
Kangaskhan's main role isn't breaking walls, it's checking common offensive cores with its strong priority and decent bulk. The most consistent team archetypes in the meta rn are balance and bulky offense, which means Kanga has a good match up vs most of the teams. Not to mention it's also the best T-spikes abuser (T-spikes decimate teams once grounded poisons go down), and silk scarf double edge rivals tauros' lo rock climb when it comes to power. Tbh, it's one of the main reasons why it's a good idea to run a good steel or rock type on your team as a normal resist cause its stab is extremely spamable and all of this makes it a+ worthy, even though stall has answers for it. Sry if im incoherent, im in kind of a rush, just wanted to get this out there

Last edited:
There's a couple of things I want to point out regarding your posts, Sweet Jesus. I really don't agree with most of your points and especially with such a low placement for Kangaskhan.

Gonna try and fight rank inflation here

A+ => B+

The double priority is exactly what makes Kangaskhan such a formidable threat. It means it can double up on its role as not only a strong all-out attacker, but also as a revenge killer. This, in turn, means that it can fit on a variety of teams by being a potent threat against both balance and offense at any time in the match. However, it's not like the only thing Kangaskhan does is click Fake Out all the time; Double Edge is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. It might not be able to 2HKO everything in the way, but it chunks the majority of the tier's strong physical walls very well. You mentioned how some of those mons can just "heal off" but I'd much rather put it as "they're forced to heal off" which in turn, allows you grab back the momentum immediately. It allows you to keep the pressure on even if it's not the most favoured matchup for Kanga and chunk these Pokemon for its teammates. This is very important to note in the case of offensive teams, especially Normal spam.

I also think the Yama/Kanga comparison is completely off; Yama's Bullet Punch is much, much less powerful and really doesn't lend itself to the kind of revenge killing Kangaskhan is capable of. The difference in speed should also be quite apparent. You mention Kangaskhan's speed tier as a downside, but honestly, it's quite decent- it can already pressure faster things with its priority combo and slower things often won't appreciate its stronger STAB. I also think you're being unfair to Kangaskhan when it comes to the stall matchup- yes, it's probably its least favoured since it cannot abuse priority to the greatest extent, but as Shadestep noted above, it's not absolute dead weight to the point it would be a downside. Besides, stall is not the only thing you'll be facing and stall archetypes are only starting to catch fire. I wouldn't say they're quite as dominant as, well, KangaSpikes itself.

tl;dr: It's decently strong, has very strong priority which makes it a good generic revenge killer, an excellent matchup vs offense, abuses TSpikes and Spikes to the fullest degree, influences teambuilding by incentivizing Normal resists, and has a large impact on the metagame by being the core of one of the most popular builds in the tier. I believe this is enough to keep Kangaskhan in A+, and even if I were to agree with some of your points, B+ is far too low for such a splashable and impactful Pokemon.

Sweet Jesus

Ok so the general consesus seems to be I'm wrong and I guess I'll just drop that nom then, but I just want to point out these arguments for kanga aren't convincing me at all. Tell me as much as you want kanga is good with multiple hazards on the field, it just emphasizes how he lacks power (and mainly coverage) when they're not on while just about anything is good with hazards. A standard team has a very strong chance of having 2 mons that can take kanga (the rocker, who won't need to heal and will just set rocks for free and a standard wall that might be forced to heal to take another hit, but will still have dealt damage through DE recoil and maybe hazards (and let's not pretend 3hko'ing walls is something rare and A+ worthy)). Add to that the the fact that the same standard team probably has 2 or 3 mons faster than kanga and probably 2 mons that are immune to the spikes you all seem to cherrish so much. Yeah he might have sucker punch for the faster mons, but it's not ohko'ing anything relevant bar stuff that will probably wow/lovely kiss/sub instead of attacking and it remains the easiest move to switch-in ever.
Once again this is a statistics game, you want proabilities on your side and with a plethora of walls and rockers, DE recoil, great vulnerability to rocky helmet and iron barbs, complete loss of momentum against nearly anything that sets rocks, a very frequent dilemma between DE and a priority that does nothing to a switch-in, a non attacking mon or a faster prio user, no immunity or resistance to any hazards or any status, you're not putting probabilities on your side. Kanga might work well from time to time like a B+ mon does but the fact he's «neutral» and «balanced» doesn't make him consistant, it just means there's a trillion different ways around him.

Besides, these I don't consider as good arguments:

influences teambuilding by incentivizing Normal resists
People have been using normal resists in NU since forever and kanga is just one of the 100 reasons to carry one (I'd be much more concerned about swellow, zangoose and tauros since practically anything that walls those walls kanga while the opposite is not true)
I also think the Yama/Kanga comparison is completely off
Refer to my last post which I quoted here
I wasn't saying kanga is similar to yama and am not trying to compare them on what they can or cannot do. I'm just saying that I'd see yama fitting in a team more easily as a fake out + second priority user. I agree though, no one fills kanga's niche better than kanga, but his niche is nowhere near A+ level.
By fitting a team I mean yama can take special attacks (and status if you run guts) aka he has another role than attacking he's therefore easier to throw on a team while you'll have to make a place for kanga making it harder to not be weak to this and that. I repeat, I know kanga can do plenty of things yama can't, that's not my point.

Besides, stall is not the only thing you'll be facing and stall archetypes are only starting to catch fire
Ofc stall's not the only thing you're gonna face, it doesn't change the fact kanga is worthless against stall... And don't tell me he's not that bad against it, kanga is pretty much the definition of a mon that's worthless against stall, it's a staller's dream mon to face! It takes damage from all hazards and his own attack, isn't immune to toxic or burn, isn't spinning or setting hazards, isn't setting up, isn't healing or pp stalling and isn't threatening to half the team which is more than enough to wall it forever.
Stall might not be that common (imo because it requires patience, skill and makes every game a little bit the same which can be boring) but it's not bad at all right now and I'd see it as one of the most consistent strategies for a tournement battle. In fact, I have a very hard time teambuilding right now because of how hard it is to plug mons that punch holes into the stall archetype without being completely worthless to every other team.

EDIt: some people in NU room told me they'd agree to see it drop but not all the way to B+. I can go with that too, my main point is it should drop. How far it should drop is also debatable.

Last edited:
I would like to chime in on this Kanga argument - I think it is perfectly fine where it is at. I think focusing on its matchup versus stall is not an accurate way to analyze it, considering stall is not very common on the ladder and that isn't really its role.

Kanga has great matchups versus a lot of top threats which is why its so good.

Wallbreakers - Kanga outspeeds the good majority of wallbreakers in the tier and can almost always OHKO after SR and a layer of spikes

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 237-280 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 288-340 (90.8 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 313-370 (97.5 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Aqua Tail vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Aurorus: 228-270 (58.7 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Faster Threats - Double priority
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 99-117 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO + 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 110-130 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swellow: 105-124 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO + 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swellow: 116-137 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pyroar: 91-108 (29 - 34.5%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO + 252+ Atk Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pyroar: 101-119 (32.2 - 38%) -- 95.7% chance to 3HKO

Walls
too lazy to calc, but DE does about 40-50% to Mesprit, Garb, and Weezing, and Aqua Tail does as much to Rhydon. Steelix is obv a hard counter..

why are there four fire types in a+? esp when people are telling me that the justification for camerupt potential dropping is that there are too many things that wall fire types right now. i refuse to believe that combusken, charizard, magmortar, and pyroar are all roughly equally viable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)