2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayern played better but Atletico Madrid got the away goal they wanted, which was all they really needed to do. Oblak was exceptional. The La Liga dominanace in Europe continues, and now ATM have to win it all now, one does not beat Barcelona and Bayern and not win it all.

In a year were Leicester city won the prem, what are the odds that man city doesn't win it all and pelligrini can leave with his middle finger towards man city ownership and and a champions league medal in the other hand

Chelsea: it may have been a shit season for us, but seeing Hazard crush the very souls of those scum from Tottenham was one of the best non-title finishes I could hope for.

As a huge Ranieri fan (he was the coach when I started supporting Chelsea)/Vardy appreciator/blue jersey aficionado/fan of an underdog story, massive props to Leicester for winning the league. I am genuinely so happy for them, and eagerly await the Hollywood adaptation of their season.
In a totteham fan perspective, this demonstrates the amazing progress Tottenham have made this season, as that kind of result would be a point gained in previous years.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In a totteham fan perspective, this demonstrates the amazing progress Tottenham have made this season, as that kind of result would be a point gained in previous years.
yeah, as a tottenham fan i was fine w/the result but just hate that chelsea feels like it accomplished something in a season where theyre going to finish 9th without european football next year lmao

Chelsea spend a ridiculous amount of money to play shitty football. Atletico spent 30m euros on Griezmann but other than that their squad is relatively cheap in comparison. Chelsea get more hate than they deserve for the way they play but the fact no one apart from Chelsea fans likes the club shows you how the hate towards Chelsea isn't just to do with the football they play. It's about how they go about their business and how dense some of their fans are.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Chelsea spend a ridiculous amount of money to play shitty football. Atletico spent 30m euros on Griezmann but other than that their squad is relatively cheap in comparison.
Whaaaat?

Atletico's transfers this season:

Chelsea's:

I mean you can point out that Atletico made a profit by selling Jackson to a chinese team for more than it cost them, but tbh that was for the most part that they got lucky that a team paid them so much after Jackson's awful season.

Last edited:
Whaaaat?
(pictures)
I mean you can point out that Atletico made a profit by selling Jackson to a chinese team for more than it cost them, but tbh that was for the most part that they got lucky that a team paid them so much after Jackson's awful season.
I stand corrected for this season. I only looked at the current squad and forgot about Martinez. But if you look at the overall investments over the last few years Chelsea have spent a large amount more on their squad than Atletico which was the point i was trying to make, evidently quite poorly

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I stand corrected for this season. I only looked at the current squad and forgot about Martinez. But if you look at the overall investments over the last few years Chelsea have spent a large amount more on their squad than Atletico which was the point i was trying to make, evidently quite poorly
Still, it is not like Atletico is a low budget team anymore, they may be a tad more efficient that the big 'superteams' at making transfers, but they still spent 40 million in Falcao, 35 million for Jackson, the list goes on. However, I do think you are right (in a way) despite your post being factually wrong.

The reason why Chelsea are always bashed for their play while Atletico is praised over and over again, whether they deserve it or not, is because Atletico still has the ''underdog'' tag that makes people root for them. The media has helped a lot with that, always talking about how low budget they are, and painting it like a cinderella story year after year, and I mean, they are a really good team, but the media does a really shitty job writing about how teams actually play, and just go for the big headlines ''Underdogs Atletico played with huge passion'', ''Chelsea parking the bus again'' etc even when it's far from the truth.

And honestly, Atletico don't deserve much praise for their semifinals against Bayern, aside from Oblak, who played out of his mind in the second leg. They were outplayed for the most part, and relied a lot in time-wasting shenanigans to hold on in both legs, something that shouldn't be condoned at all. However, the media talks about it just the same way the talked about their matchup against Barcelona in the quarterfinals, in which they were the better team and nullified Barcelona's offensive threat in a quite impressive fashion.

That's what annoys from the media and the treatment Atletico receives, the times when they actually play great (vs Barcelona in 13-14 and 15-16) should be praised, but they should receive backlash the times they play mediocre and have to resort to dirty tactics in order to hold on to the game (vs Real Madrid in 13-14 finals, and this season semifinals vs Bayern)

Those arrogant moaning bunch of divers can cry all the way back to Spain. The referee was quite lenient or they would have ended up with 9 men. Whatever, we're in a European final. Bring on Sevilla! (Yeah, we're the underdogs but whatever)

The league table looks straight out of a FM 2013 save, fucking hell. I thought I would never see anything as notable as the 2012 finish again but it's been blown out of the water. Even back in December when my friends who sort of keep up with the Premier League started asking me if I'd heard about Leicester I remember telling them the story of Hull City in the 0809 season, quite glad to be proven wrong though!

As for Liverpool being in a European final, I'm fucking over the moon. Haven't had a chance to watch the game but spoiled myself on the way home from work, just had to know the score (was certain it'd be some fucking boring 1-1 draw). Klopp has the club dreaming again and I can't wait for next season, I loved Rodgers and thought he was tops but realistically he was never going to compare to the year we finished second, all the wind went from his sails.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
yeah, as a tottenham fan i was fine w/the result but just hate that chelsea feels like it accomplished something in a season where theyre going to finish 9th without european football next year lmao
13139163_906968686081119_6887064173496875626_n.jpg

Chelsea spend a ridiculous amount of money to play shitty football. Atletico spent 30m euros on Griezmann but other than that their squad is relatively cheap in comparison. Chelsea get more hate than they deserve for the way they play but the fact no one apart from Chelsea fans likes the club shows you how the hate towards Chelsea isn't just to do with the football they play. It's about how they go about their business and how dense some of their fans are.
It's been a while since we've spent "a ridiculous amount of money"; in fact, refraining from doing that in the summer is the main reason behind our horrific title defense this season. United (and City) have been the ones doing all the spending lately and the former have been berated for the same, by fans and media alike.

Still, it is not like Atletico is a low budget team anymore, they may be a tad more efficient that the big 'superteams' at making transfers, but they still spent 40 million in Falcao, 35 million for Jackson, the list goes on. However, I do think you are right (in a way) despite your post being factually wrong.

The reason why Chelsea are always bashed for their play while Atletico is praised over and over again, whether they deserve it or not, is because Atletico still has the ''underdog'' tag that makes people root for them. The media has helped a lot with that, always talking about how low budget they are, and painting it like a cinderella story year after year, and I mean, they are a really good team, but the media does a really shitty job writing about how teams actually play, and just go for the big headlines ''Underdogs Atletico played with huge passion'', ''Chelsea parking the bus again'' etc even when it's far from the truth.

And honestly, Atletico don't deserve much praise for their semifinals against Bayern, aside from Oblak, who played out of his mind in the second leg. They were outplayed for the most part, and relied a lot in time-wasting shenanigans to hold on in both legs, something that shouldn't be condoned at all. However, the media talks about it just the same way the talked about their matchup against Barcelona in the quarterfinals, in which they were the better team and nullified Barcelona's offensive threat in a quite impressive fashion.

That's what annoys from the media and the treatment Atletico receives, the times when they actually play great (vs Barcelona in 13-14 and 15-16) should be praised, but they should receive backlash the times they play mediocre and have to resort to dirty tactics in order to hold on to the game (vs Real Madrid in 13-14 finals, and this season semifinals vs Bayern)
Well said, couldn't have put it better myself. Despite all they've accomplished, I still find myself rooting for them mainly because they still feel like underdogs.

Here's to hoping that the annual linesman Down Syndrome has run its course in a fairly meaningless match and will not be featuring in the DFB Pokal final. I get that video replays slow the pace of the game down, but with things like goals and penalties, video replays are a must.

Hopefully, once the scars left by Sepp Bastard heal FIFA finally comes to its senses and introduces video replays.

And yes, I will be in favor of video replays even if they lead to Dortmund losing a cup final/domestic trophy.

As for Liverpool being in a European final, I'm fucking over the moon. Haven't had a chance to watch the game but spoiled myself on the way home from work, just had to know the score (was certain it'd be some fucking boring 1-1 draw).
Go get them, tiger. Prove that a team that can beat Dortmund can beat the world. Despite our painful semifinal exit, our (or at least my) friendship with Liverpool will never die. YNWA

P.S. I understand that there was once a Liverpool goal (I think against United?) that was supposed to have been beautiful to look at, but wasn't televised because of a power cut. Apparently footage of that goal has emerged and it lived up to every bit of its hype. Do you know about this?

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Terribly unfortunate way to go out, really hope he's offered an extension, it would be wrong not to keep him on, he deserves to retire here.

Terribly unfortunate way to go out, really hope he's offered an extension, it would be wrong not to keep him on, he deserves to retire here.
You mean Terry? Yeah, a shame. His off-the-field antics makes it hard to respect him but as a player, I think he has established himself as a Chelsea legend. Going off that way is unfortunate but it's better than the shameful showing we did for Gerrard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)