Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I want a Yeti-mon really badly.
Abomasnow feels left out.

(Side note, D/P are a decade old now. Time flies ;_;)

Also, looking at the revealed Alola region art, I don't see our luxury hotel (or aquarium?) that we saw in the first screenshots revealed at SuMo's initial announcement. Perhaps there is more to the region that we don't yet know about..

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Has no one else mentioned our possible rival yet? He seems like a good candidate.
One possible rival. He appeared in the shot with a male PC if I'm not mistaken, and the opposite-gender PC has to do something. It worked in Unova, it could've worked well in Kalos if there weren't so damn many, and I have no doubt it'll come again (and hopefully work again) in Alola.

There are some clues in the descriptions about how the starters will turn out to be, which I'm surprised no-one has mentioned yet.

Rowlet: "drawing near to its opponent without being noticed, and then lashing out with powerful kicks"
So Rowlet is clearly a physical attacker, that much is obvious. The not-being-noticed thing kind of points to priority, which ties in with the gale wings idea someone had.

Litten: "Logical but also passionate, Litten always remains coolheaded and doesn't show its emotions on the surface."
The most tenuous of the three, this suggests that Litten will be a special attacker, but doesn't really say anything else other than that. In general cat-themed mons tend to be frail and fast so there's that, but it's kinda stretching.

Popplio: "Popplio's swimming speed is known to exceed 25 mph."
Ok this couldn't be any more obvious, clearly a mon based on speed. Interesting because the design would lead you to think of something slow and bulky ala Walrein so the final evolution will probably be much more sleek like a real sealion. Possibly a mixed sweeper in the same vein as Infernape and Greninja since neither attacking stats are obviously emphasised, or it could mean it ends up being more status-focused which could tie in with its water balloon attacks. "Popplio can snort out balloons made of water! Watch it spin water balloons into a playful battle strategy!"

Anyway nothing concrete there just some food for speculation :]

Edit: from here http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokemon.shtml

One possible rival. He appeared in the shot with a male PC if I'm not mistaken, and the opposite-gender PC has to do something. It worked in Unova, it could've worked well in Kalos if there weren't so damn many, and I have no doubt it'll come again (and hopefully work again) in Alola.
He could be our Shauna/Tierno/etc though, as his hair doesn't match the PC when shown without a hat.

There are some clues in the descriptions about how the starters will turn out to be, which I'm surprised no-one has mentioned yet.

Rowlet: "drawing near to its opponent without being noticed, and then lashing out with powerful kicks"
So Rowlet is clearly a physical attacker, that much is obvious. The not-being-noticed thing kind of points to priority, which ties in with the gale wings idea someone had.

Litten: "Logical but also passionate, Litten always remains coolheaded and doesn't show its emotions on the surface."

The most tenuous of the three, this suggests that Litten will be a special attacker, but doesn't really say anything else other than that. In general cat-themed mons tend to be frail and fast so there's that, but it's kinda stretching.

Popplio: "Popplio's swimming speed is known to exceed 25 mph."
Ok this couldn't be any more obvious, clearly a mon based on speed. Interesting because the design would lead you to think of something slow and bulky ala Walrein so the final evolution will probably be much more sleek like a real sealion. Possibly a mixed sweeper in the same vein as Infernape and Greninja since neither attacking stats are obviously emphasised, or it could mean it ends up being more status-focused which could tie in with its water balloon attacks. "Popplio can snort out balloons made of water! Watch it spin water balloons into a playful battle strategy!"

Anyway nothing concrete there just some food for speculation :]

Edit: from here http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokemon.shtml
Based on the extra descriptions you mentioned, I'm calling that Litten will evolve to become Fire/Poison, as it produces oil from it's skin to help fuel its flames. So it makes sense why it'd become Fire/Poison. Also, being Fire/Poison, it would be really unique, and stand out from Pyroar and Houndoom. Also, maybe the tuft of fur that spikes up when it attacks is where it stores it's oil?

Abomasnow feels left out.

(Side note, D/P are a decade old now. Time flies ;_;)

Also, looking at the revealed Alola region art, I don't see our luxury hotel (or aquarium?) that we saw in the first screenshots revealed at SuMo's initial announcement. Perhaps there is more to the region that we don't yet know about..
Given that Hawaii is an archipelago, we're fairly sure there are multiple islands.

Bendiving : I never really noticed that bit about Rowlet kicking things. Here's hoping we get Grass Wan Shi Tong instead of Grass Blaziken. Kinda expected that with the Litten, so probably expect something closer to Pyroar and Raikou vs Persian and Entei. Also: yeah, they generally mention the speed on fast pokemon.

This thing better get Brave Bird.

Anyway, I think I want to have Rowlet as a starter, not because I'm particularly attracted to its design, but because it's a Flier right off the bat, which is pretty neat, and I also reckon a tropical region won't be hurting for Water-types.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hey guys, my uncle works at Nintendo and I've got some top secret leaked game footage here!

To be more on topic, Popplio is the single best starter to date. The Dewgong and Sealeo lines are two of my favourites in the franchise, and this third seal line isn't going to disappoint. It literally encompasses derpiness perfectly. From its cry being onomatopoeia'd as "Bwarf?" to its battle animations, it takes all of the cute elements of being oblivious and derpy and shoves it all into one design. I just hope that they don't do what they seem to be doing as of late and try to make its final design look over-intimidating.

As an aside on an incredibly minor point, what the fuck kind of name for an attack is Leafage? LEAFAGE? I've learned a lot about etymology from this franchise and a lot of different cultures are referenced in things like attacks, but I can't see Leafage helping me with this. It looks ugly, it has no purpose and it's just SO unimaginative. ;~;

Hey guys, my uncle works at Nintendo and I've got some top secret leaked game footage here!

To be more on topic, Popplio is the single best starter to date. The Dewgong and Sealeo lines are two of my favourites in the franchise, and this third seal line isn't going to disappoint. It literally encompasses derpiness perfectly. From its cry being onomatopoeia'd as "Bwarf?" to its battle animations, it takes all of the cute elements of being oblivious and derpy and shoves it all into one design. I just hope that they don't do what they seem to be doing as of late and try to make its final design look over-intimidating.

As an aside on an incredibly minor point, what the fuck kind of name for an attack is Leafage? LEAFAGE? I've learned a lot about etymology from this franchise and a lot of different cultures are referenced in things like attacks, but I can't see Leafage helping me with this. It looks ugly, it has no purpose and it's just SO unimaginative. ;~;
Leafage = Leaf + plumage.

I'm guessing it'll be a grass equivalent to Ember and Water Gun, which we for some reason have never had.

I think Leafage is supposed to be the grass equivalent to ember and water gun? I mean, we already have Vine Whip, but you wouldn't expect an owl to learn that.

I'm guessing it'll be a grass equivalent to Ember and Water Gun, which we for some reason have never had.
I got sniped, GDI

Last edited by a moderator:
Bendiving I wouldn't put tooo much stock into dex stuff though. Remember, the dex talks about Skarmory and Dragonite being insanely fast, when in reality, they aren't exactly speedfreaks!
Don't forget this legendary Pokedex entry for Escavalier: "They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears"

Vine Whip says hi.
But Vine Whip is physical now...

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

That doesn't mean it's not a terrible name. They could have chosen a better portmanteau than leaf and foliage, or even done foleaf instead. That looks better than Leafage. >_>

So what about Lunaana (i think thats how people call it?) being Fairy/Dark? Looks like an amazing typing.
This is what I have been thinking as well. It could have Moon-related moves typical of Fairy-types, like Moonblast and Moonlight, and the Dark-typing could fit the night theme of the Moon.

I'm not sure about the lion, though. Fire seems quite obvious, but what else could it get?

The lion reminds me too much of something from the Power Rangers it triggers me quite a bit.

If hes not Fire only, I would say Psychic/Fire or Electrik/Fire.

Vine Whip also hits slightly harder than Ember and Water Gun for some reason. And given the japanese name for Leafage is "This Leaf" (according to selebii) we can assume that more pokemon may get it.

Lunaala could be: Flying/Fairy, Flying/Psychic, Flying/Dark or Flying/Poison. However Flying/Psychic and Flying/Dark seems a little unlikely due to Lugia and Yveltal (so far no uber legendaries have shared a typing.) in my opinion.

So what about Lunaana (i think thats how people call it?) being Fairy/Dark? Looks like an amazing typing.
I'm actually hoping to see Fairy/Ghost, although Ghost/Flying would fit too. I really just don't want it to be dark since we've had a Dark legendary just this gen.

Considering their main concern is always viability/playability within the game, there may be a lot of water routes, but Rowlet's Grass/Flying typing probably indicates much, much more Grass and Bug types to fight against. It's hell trying to get through forests/jungles with pure Grass so the secondary STAB was probably just deemed necessary (Game Freak could have easily designed/left Rowlet as a pure Grass type without any explanation other than "it stays on the ground").

Over all, I am pleased. The owl is fucking adorable. The fire kitty is okay however, water seal can gtfo. So ugly. The lion is also okay, but the bat is ugly. The region looks pretty so far, just please do not have a lot of surfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)