Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its because of the ball on its nose. I always liked how the pokemon were natural-looking, but unless a pokemon is specifically man-made, to be related to a human thing makes it kind of uncool.
Not picking on you, but I guess you REALLY were irked by the Timburr line. I'd admit I was for a while (especially the dex entry saying Conkledurr taught humans how to make concrete)

I keep saying it but if Popplio evolves into a water fighting elephant seal all the focus it's gets on its nose and neck would make a lot of sense, add in a horn for nose(elephant seals can roar up to the same decibels of a chain saw apparently), hyper voice aura sphere and some clown motiffs and this will be a beast.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Much hype.

Looking at the model and artwork of Solgaleo, that thing is buff. Definitely did not skip leg day. Imagine if it's Fire/Fight... *dragged off*

As for Lunaala -
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA BATMAN! BATMAN! /hype

It's seriously awesome, and I notice both of the legends have a sort of "cosmic" imprint on their face and their eyes look like they're showing through a visor.

Onto starters:
Rowlet is instantly lovable. Great design. I agree "Leafage" is a lame attack name but there's no guarantee that's the finalized English translation.
Litten is cute. To the people complaining "too many fire cats," well, basically every single Fire-type is based off a warm-blooded animal, usually small-to medium sized mammals and almost all of them caniforms or feliforms, but occasionally primates or birds. There are exceptions but basically expect a lot more fire dogs, cats, foxes, and badgers to come. Pyroar for example shows gender differences in manes, which is cool. I'm going to guess the box legends are Genderless and manifestations of an ideal, as most Legends are.
Popplio is something which shocks you initially but grows on you over time. Mostly it's the clown nose. It's an adorable sea lion though.

I'm more interested to see their evolutions and what other kinds of new attacks there are, and yes, Megas, of course.

no the style though
Other than they both look like lions, because they are both lions, not really. The manes are fairly different in style given that Solgaleo's mane comes out to distinct points and looks like a sun. Pyroar's mane is a lot more rounded with a few hook-shaped tufts of fur to break up the pattern. In addition to this, Solgaleo's face pretty much has a Sun outlining it's face, breaking up the mane into sections while Pyroar's mane is designed to look like a coat of arms.

No, they pretty much have "They're both Lions" in common, but are as different as Entei (another lion) is from Pyroar.

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There's also a stone called tiger's eye (or something like that) if I remember right. I'd actually love an awesome fire/rock type.
While yes, there is a gemstone commonly referred to as "Tiger(s) Eye" it has very little relation to volcanic activity (pesudo-'metamorphic'). Though I still feel a strong resemblance to rocks with this Pokemon and its facial features do bear a mild resemblance to the upside down archaic Han character or the very uncommon Kanji character that can make up the word, "black" or "dark" which is also used to form the word "Obsidian" - which happens to have a great deal to do with volcanic activity being igneous and all.

The difference being that Stroke 6 (the small 'line') and Stroke 8 (the long 'line') are reversed on its face.

[Insert terrible editing]

Edit: Clarification.

Please don't gang up on me if you're a part of this crowd, but...

I don't get the hate for Popplio. I've personally wanted a seal-esque starter for some time now and I fail to see why peeps don't like Popplio.

Mind you, I have no issue if you don't like it, but this quite honestly bugs me...
The water is wet and there is too much of it.

Its a genV gripe commonly called the "it's too close to an existing design so it sucks" mentality.
It's not the fact it is "too close to an existing design" (I hate that mentality*). The reason that people don't like it is that Popplio is goofy looking in a bad way. And when compared to the good designs of Litten and Rowlet (the latter of which is so cute that it knocked off Gengar as my favorite Pokémon), it just makes it look even worse by comparison.
A seal starter is fine. It's just the aesthetics that people hate.

Yeah, if Litten evolves into a Fire/Fighting-type, I might finally lose it. I think we can retire that typing for starters until Generation XXVIII (I wouldn't mind seeing a non-starter special attacker of that typing with No Guard, Fire Blast, and Focus Blast, but that's wishlisting...).

*I'm looking at those who don't like The Force Awakens because they think it is too close to A New Hope.

Reactions: JES
I'm just really hoping that Marshadow is a marsh-based Poison legendary... 6 generations and still no Poison-type legendary.

I'm Team Litten, considering the others have more generic cartoon-like designs, but Litten looks unique.

All the starters look awesome. Popplio is my personal favorite, but I'm probably gonna start off with Rowlet as I have started every generation before this with the water starter and I want to give a grass type starter a chance for once.

The region looks small, but that is most likely due to it being a group of islands rather than one connected land mass, similar to the Hawaiian Islands that the game's location is based upon.

Really hoping this game has some sort of subplot involving Zygarde. Maybe collecting secret cell Zygardes scattered thought the region or something. Just don't want the devs to completely abandon them.

Reactions: JES
The starters are always the most important aspect of a new generation in my view, so I'm quite pleased that these are the best initial starter designs since Sinnoh, possibly even Hoenn.

Rowlet: Definitely going with grass this gen, grass/flying has been my #1 choice for a new starter since the lead-up to gen V when I rationalized that Snivy would surely end up part Flying or Electric if not the wished-for Dragon. I love that they finally went back to making a dual-typed first stage starter for the 20th anniversary. The design is very balanced, it just looks slightly too round but I'm sure it will grow out of this, and looks excellent in flight. The silent leaf quill attack is so badass for a first stage too.

Litten: The color scheme is great, much more balanced than Tepig, and the proportions are fine unlike Fennekin. It would look so much better if it only had a single red ring per leg though. The body isn't large enough to support two, and it gives it an unfortunate looney-toon-esque look, as well as reminding me of the stereotypical cartoon striped prison uniform. Love that GF is giving a reasoned explanation for it's fire abilities, and in keeping with the feline design. Fire/Dark is the obvious route, but I can see Poison as well and hope it goes there.

Popplio: You can obviously see what they were going for here, and I think they executed the goofy circus seal concept perfectly fine, if a bit safely / simply (though the official art of it's bubble being used for bouncing tricks is a great touch) it's just that conceptually this has no appeal to me whatsoever. Definitely better than Oshawott though, as I find them pretty similar in style. Water/Fairy seems reasonable and would be my choice as well based off just this form. Hopefully not another monotype.

Solgaleo (?): Honestly when I saw this I almost instantly thought of Liger Zero from Zoids, plus a white mane from the blue lion Zoid. The design works but feels very bland to me; coming off Pyroar's debut doesn't help as people have mentioned. Could see Fire/Electric or pure Fire even, as we've not actually had that for a 680 legend iirc. A step down from the Kalos cover legends tbh.

Lunaala (?): The design gets better every time I look over it again, taking elements from a constellation, dreamcatcher (brilliant, fits with night theme too), and the large ears of bats. The skeletal core looks like it's a husk protecting the blue sprit within, which helps push my prediction towards ghost rather than dark or psychic. But as pointed out, the moon has been correlated with Fairy attacks in Pokemon, and it wouldn't make much sense for it not to get STAB on Moonblast, so Fairy/Flying or Ghost/Fairy with levitate are my predictions, but I would still be happy with Ghost/Flying. If I was every remotely in doubt about version choice, this design would have sealed it easily.

Much hype.

Looking at the model and artwork of Solgaleo, that thing is buff. Definitely did not skip leg day. Imagine if it's Fire/Fight... *dragged off*

As for Lunaala -
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA BATMAN! BATMAN! /hype

It's seriously awesome, and I notice both of the legends have a sort of "cosmic" imprint on their face and their eyes look like they're showing through a visor.

Onto starters:
Rowlet is instantly lovable. Great design. I agree "Leafage" is a lame attack name but there's no guarantee that's the finalized English translation.
Litten is cute. To the people complaining "too many fire cats," well, basically every single Fire-type is based off a warm-blooded animal, usually small-to medium sized mammals and almost all of them caniforms or feliforms, but occasionally primates or birds. There are exceptions but basically expect a lot more fire dogs, cats, foxes, and badgers to come. Pyroar for example shows gender differences in manes, which is cool. I'm going to guess the box legends are Genderless and manifestations of an ideal, as most Legends are.
Popplio is something which shocks you initially but grows on you over time. Mostly it's the clown nose. It's an adorable sea lion though.

I'm more interested to see their evolutions and what other kinds of new attacks there are, and yes, Megas, of course.
leafage is the confirmed name via website

It's not that there is anything wrong with bipedal Pokemon, it's just that there has never been a fully-evolved quadrapedal starter except arguably non-Mega Swampert
Plus in addition to all of the ones that the rest mentioned, we have Serperior going the opposite direction and having NO legs. In fact, Gen VI is the ONLY generation where we didn't have at least one non-purely bipedal starter.

Ok, gonna give my 2 cents on everything and start reading from here to hopefully catch up on all that has been said. Sorry if I repeat any points.

Region:
  • Looks great. Hoenn has been my favorite for a while, mainly because the tropical region led to great, vibrant pokemon designs and beautiful environments. I hope the same happens with Alola.
  • The map seems fairly small, so I wonder if like Hawaii we'll have islands and this is just a small part of the region. I hope that's not it (what we've seen isn't the only location, I mean) or there's something I'm missing, because there should be so much more.
Starters:
  • Rowlet: #TeamRowlet. While not the same hype as I initially had with Chespin, I am still in love with this starter. I love flying-type pokemon and birds, so an Owl starter is something I'm super excited for. I've been wanting grass/flying for a while, as we've had a penguin and chicken so I knew grass needed something bird-based and we got it. The bowtie is awesome and I hope it stays throughout the evolution.
  • Litten: I really like this guy, and he'll probably be my second choice. Very cool, good coloring, and probably going to become an awesome Fire/Dark panther.
  • Popplio: This guy, I don't know how to feel. He's cute, confident, but doesn't appeal to me. The circus design feels weird with the other two, which are more natural, although his art is great. I'm predicting pure water or water/psychic for the final form, and some signature circus/bubble move.
  • General: Last generation, we weren't sure how the starters would end up looking in their final evolutions, and all except maybe Greninja ended up looking bad. The humanoid look just did not work for me at all. I'm excited for these 3, however, as I feel they'll all have good final evolutions and I can't see how they could really go wrong.
Legendaries:
  • Solgaleo (?): I don't know how to feel about this guy. The face weirds me out, seeming too mechanical. I don't love it, but I don't have an issue with it. Kinda cool, I guess. Probably Fire type.
  • Lunaala (?): This is definitely my pick. An interesting legendary with a great design. Similar to Chespin/Rowlet, not the same "OMG need to have" I felt with Yveltal, but I love the design and can't wait to use it. No clue for typing, Flying/something?
Random bits:
  • There was a Meowth in the Japanese trailer, so no "black & white" type of thing with entirely new pokemon.
  • I can't wait for this game, it looks great!

About the types of Solgaleo and Lunaala:
For a probable Fire type, there is a noticeable lack of red and orange in Solgaleo's design, much like Reshiram. The small orange details change to a yellow glow when it's charging an attack, as seen in the trailer. Psychic, Electric and even Normal seem to be plausible typings as well. I'm hoping for a nuclear themed attack, but it seems too bold for Gamefreak.
One thing I noticed is that Lunaala's body is purple, when dark blue would make a bit more sense with the night sky aesthetic. This, coupled with the skeletal details on it's shoulders and wings make it look less like a Dark type and more like a Ghost or Poison type. Moon is associated mainly with Fairy and Psychic types, which are the most likely types for it's light blast attack. Fairy/Ghost is my bet, though Psychic/Poison would be cool as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)