Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting thing to note aside from the biology argument:

Popplio is a sea lion. They just happen to make it the one water animal that is the closest in looks to a dog. They also happen to, moreso than any other seal or sea lion pokemon (Seel, Sealeo, Samurott), make it look like a dog. So if we think of it as a dog, we have:
  • A dog that is super-effective against a cat
  • A cat that is super-effective against a bird
Think about it.
The fact that apparently sea lion is water dog in some lenguajes kind of makes this funny.

Rowlet might be the best starter ever (if it doesn't get shafted on stats and/or movepool, as Grass-types almost always do). Litten is almost disappointingly generic, hopefully it becomes something more interesting because "deviantart sparklecat" is a little boring. I want to like Popplio, but its face is goofy in a bad way, hopefully it becomes cooler when it evolves.

I'm getting some idea from this thread of people's preferences, but I wanted to make a poll to see the exact spread. I'll be sharing this elsewhere to to try and get a large sample size, but if you're willing:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10182188

(And please, if you have other groups of pokemon-loving people, feel free to share this. I'll be keeping an eye on the results.)

What's wrong with cartoony?

Seriously, while I base my choice on final evolutions this might be the first time I pick the grass starter on my first playthrough.
Aww Yiss! I knew i wasn't the only one to remember this.

Do you guys think we'll get anything new in Corocoro, or just screens from the trailer?

When XY was announced, we basically had the same type of trailer, with a few more locations but overall the same type of thing (3 starters with name/typing and 2 untyped, unnamed legendaries). Did the first Corocoro for that give anything extra past the trailer? I assume we might get a similar amount of info here.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you guys think we'll get anything new in Corocoro, or just screens from the trailer?

When XY was announced, we basically had the same type of trailer, with a few more locations but overall the same type of thing (3 starters with name/typing and 2 untyped, unnamed legendaries). Did the first Corocoro for that give anything extra past the trailer? I assume we might get a similar amount of info here.
I don't recall the corocoro really having anything. They promised something this time, but I'm guessing its going to be the same info we got from the trailer.

Reactions: MK
Never underestimate my ability to ram a joke into the ground
Thank you.
I'm getting some idea from this thread of people's preferences, but I wanted to make a poll to see the exact spread. I'll be sharing this elsewhere to to try and get a large sample size, but if you're willing:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10182188

(And please, if you have other groups of pokemon-loving people, feel free to share this. I'll be keeping an eye on the results.)
There's also this poll done by The Dex's PokéKellz:
https://twitter.com/PokeKellz/status/730009461872467969
At the time of this post, Rowlet has 50%, Litten has 33%, and Popplio has 17%.

Also, I think Rowlet is infecting our avatars.

Reactions: JES
I have a feeling that Litten may be based on an Egyptian cat.
Maybe. The other popular guess is a tiger, since we don't have a true one of those yet (Raikou is the closest). And it would be a missed opportunity to not name it Fryger.

Not that filling in our "real animal" pokedex is exactly on Gamefreak's minds, seeing as we have our second owl and a third or fourth sea lion derivative. Crossing my fingers on a dolphin pokemon. I mean, they can't be avoiding it on porpoise, right?

Litten's facial stripes & tufts really kind of cement a lion cub look to me, just wish they incorporated a lighter underbelly.

It's colors are certainly what you would expect from a poisonous creature. Obviously it wouldn't be surprising if it was dark type either.

Don't know if this has been said and it's too late to comb through all the pages since I last checked smogon, but Lunaala looks like it's part psychic type to me. There are "psychic" vampires in mythology so i think it's definitely plausible. perhaps it's special move is a psychic version of giga drain. It's secondary type is probably not flying. I think dark or fairy are more possible.

and the dog is afraid of a bird...
And we have a bird that is super-effective against a dog!
Well, more of what I'm noticing is that there may be a starter pattern here, similar to last gen. Last gen we had palladin/mage/ninja, wheras this gen it seems to be continuing having the three as a connected trio in the form of Dog/Cat/Bird, three animals commonly associated with each other. Again, another bit of a stretch, but just interesting to note.

Now one thing I have to mention, because it's got to come up sooner or later, is the question (and I'm sorry if this has been brought up already): will there be a new type introduced?

I remember when X and Y came up everyone thought there would be a new type from the start (with sound and light as common guesses), and the discussion on it was shut down because "there was too much of it" and "it was highly unlikely". Well, we did end up getting a new type, so that was kind of bad reasoning, but I do remember it getting out of hand last time. It was all speculation and almost nothing based in what we knew (at least until Sylveon was announced), which is why it had been shot down.

That being said, I think the topic should at least be broached, as we don't know the legendary typing and there is now precedent, what with X and Y introducing fairy type.

For me, I would guess no, even with not having clear legendary types. It's too soon after X and Y adding fairy to mess with the metagame again. They need time to flesh out the fairy type, so I doubt it's something they'll do.

However, playing the opposite end of the spectrum, I could see a potential "space" or "cosmic" type, applied to both legendaries, based on the oddly tech/space look of their eyes/visors/whatever those are. It would fit with sun and moon and would fit pokemon that exist as well. However, again, I think this is highly unlikely. I just wanted to put the topic out there so we could have it and be done with it. We don't know the legendaries' typings yet, so it is possible that they're hiding it for that reason as with Xerneas, but I think that's highly unlikely.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
can u stop stretching shit to match random patterns its triggering me so hard :pirate:

edit: to clarify: if the animal itself does not match your pattern your pattern is not real. That should not really be an issue. Trying to guess at the design philosophy/synergy between the starters and saying, oh well rowlet bird litten cat....popplio NOT DOG but u know if u think RLLY HARD..... is DOG???????? is so riddled with confirmation bias it's just farcical.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Now I have had some time to put my thoughts together (and tidy the thread up a bit, please don't double or triple post if possible, you have an edit button...) I am actually even more excited than when I was yesterday.

The region looks stunning. We have ACTUAL HILLS. No grids?! The long shot of the (presumably) early area of the game looks amazing. Lots of water, lots of chilled out people. Maybe we will get some cameos from people like Brawley or Wattson with their Surfing/Hawaiian themes. I am really hoping we get a Surfing minigame or something akin to the Ash thing where he won the Orange Islands badge. That would be really awesome. Glad trainer customization is back (at least it looks that way), let's just hope that there are more options than there were in XY (especially for boys).

The starters...

Well... I am firmly on team Popplio. I think the design is cool and I am very interested in seeing where they take it. Like others I hope the strange nose is a link to possibly having an Elephant Seal as a final evo. Water/Fighting maybe... Elephant seals are known for their huge size and power, and the bulls especially fight very aggressively over cows. I like the colours and the artwork is cute af... Actually, most of the artwork is cute. I dislike cats so Litten will likely be the last one of the Starters I use.

Rowlet looks cool, shame about the typing... Although given we are in a tropical setting, Ice Types might be few and far between. I like the look and I think it has some real potential for evolutions regarding the owl aesthetic. Several directions they could go with this one. Bit confused why they teased it's first move as it seems they have added a parallel to Water Gun/Ember finally (Vine Whip has never been equal). Also opens up some other ideas that some of the new moves will add more variance within types.

Litten is just a cat, the biography/dex entry type thing gave it a few possibilities with its "oily fur". Sounds interesting from a concept side of things... Let's just hope it doesn't turn into some twisted fire/fighting oil wrestler Pokemon... Other than that let's hope we get something a bit different out of its design. I'd love to see a full on tiger/sabretoothed cat as a starter (let's keep it quadruped please GF).

The legends look fantastic... I thought Solgaleo looked a bit more like Sabreleomon than the Zoids, but both analogies work out really. Definitely a Light V Dark theme going on with those two. Both seem to be incredibly complicated designs as well with all of the stars/little details which you have to freezeframe to pick out.

All the footage we've seen is fairly low key really. No hints of gym leaders or anything of that description as of yet. I liked the fact we had two trailers, the Japanese one really focuses on what Pokemon is all about! Something that brings all of us here together for talk and enjoy one of the biggest franchises on the planet.

Want a possible justification for that? Rowlet is a Grass/Flying bird. Popplio is a seal, which historically has led to a secondary Ice type. Now, which type sort of forms a type triangle with Ice and Flying, being weak to one both offensively and defensively and hitting the other super-effectively?
Don't jinx it :(

Attcks signatures of Legendaries

Last edited:
Have we had any guesses as to Solgaleo/RoboAslan or Lunaala/OlympiaRising's legendary association? I get that it's sun and moon, but I feel there's something more than just being "legendary of the sun" or "legendary of the moon". Plus we already have Cresselia and Darkrai as full moon and new moon legendaries, so I don't think we'll just have a "moon" legendary.

• Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza represent Sea, Earth and Sky
  • Zekrom and Reshiram are Truth and Ideals or Dreams and Ideals or something like that
  • Palkia and Dialga as Time and Space
  • Giratina as Antimatter
  • Arceus as god
  • Jirachi as wishes
  • Xerneas and Yveltal as Life and Death

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, time for that long post with my thoughts on this trailer, that I sort of promised yesterday.

First and foremost: Gen VII is real! To me, the games might as well have been announced yesterday. What we got in February was more of a "declaration of intention" to give us Gen VII. Until now, it just felt just as faraway as Gen VIII without anything concrete to build on. Now, however, we have actual stuff to look forward to. We won't just have any ol' adventure, we now know we're going to the tropics. While some may bemoan the fact that it means two tropical games in a row, I'm happy enough. If the same art team worked on ORAS and SuMo, they've already got a lot of practise with that setting before they even started work on Sun&Moon.

Trainer customisation is back, and I think it's here to stay. I don't think we've had distinct, expressive player characters since Gen IV or so, and the player character was always meant to be whatever the player wanted anyway. Or rather, it's meant to be you, so the trainer model is merely a placeholder design for most intents and purposes. Making it customisable just futhers that notion.

What we've seen of the region so far looks gorgeous. Actual terrain, vibrant foliage, and it seems like they've gone to some effort to integrate the buildings in the setting too. The (starting?) town we see in the trailer has buildings placed in an off-grid manner, set beautifully against the hillside, rather than the square-grid-plonked-on-a-field layout we've had in previous games. The seaside harbour street looks really good too, more like an actual town than a collection of random buildings. Seeing the shore line without 90-degree angles is also a huge plus. I think I'll give some further comments on the region in a separate post later, so as not to interrupt the flow of thoughts.

I also notice that the camera seems to be angled much lower than we've been used to previously. The games are transitioning from a distinct top-down perspective almost to third person, which gives us a much closer look at the landscape, and opens up possibilities for more scenic vistas or intricate little details. The overworld design of Pokémon has always been somewhat limited by hardware and software, but it seems like the designers are becoming more and more free to create something detailed and beautiful. We're now walking with the player character, rather than looking down on him from above. Gen VI experimented a bit with this, but I think this is much more polished and refined. Maybe not perfected yet, but much closer to what the designers are aiming for in the long run.

As for the new Pokémon, many other people have already provided comments better than I can. It seems like the creature designers are avoiding bipedal humanoid starters this time 'round, which makes sense since Kalos had all three starters turning humanoid by the end. Then again, humanoid designs have sprung from the most unlikely starting points before (Sewaddle, for instance), so I might be wrong. I feel surprisingly un-frustrated at the thought of Rowlet taking the Blaziken route, though. As for the legendaries, I agree with the general sentiment that the Moon legendary trumps the Sun one when it comes to originality.

All in all, I think they delivered a fine piece of promotional material in the end. It took them a while to show something concrete, but what we got certainly doesn't disappoint. I'm excited for Gen VII now, in a way I hadn't been until yesterday. My curiosity is poked, and I can't wait to find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)