Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... anyone mind explaining how did stall get popular in OU again? Was it really because Hoopa Unbound got banned a whiled back?

Meanwhile Aggron is gonna be smashing bitches with them headsmash

Twixtry

Bentley coupe riding with stars
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So... anyone mind explaining how did stall get popular in OU again? Was it really because Hoopa Unbound got banned a whiled back?
Stall has been the most effective playstyle on the ladder for a long time, because people on there don't know how to break it. And with the Hoopa ban it got even better.

Honestly, quag and amoongy going to OU just means there're fewer stallmons to annoy other tiers, so I can't say I'm super upset about them moving up. They'll probably go back down once people realize they suck, though

iouk

formerly Cucumber God
Honestly, quag and amoongy going to OU just means there're fewer stallmons to annoy other tiers, so I can't say I'm super upset about them moving up. They'll probably go back down once people realize they suck, though
Quagsire and Amoonguss do not suck. Quagsire maybe deserves to be in a lower tier but Amoonguss is right where it belongs.

Guys, on the bright side! Sun and Moon isn't too far away, so Ambipom may be NU by default when Sun and Moon come out!
Inb4 everyone in UU starts using Ambipom next gen

But yeah, the only "Default" tiers are OU and Ubers. It takes the time to gather usage stats before the other tiers can be created.

Ambipom is #41 in RU and Aerodactyl is somewhere near #70
Can people learn to utilize the drops effectively please
Like, Manectric was dropped to NU but it's already really good in RU

Ambipom is #41 in RU and Aerodactyl is somewhere near #70
Can people learn to utilize the drops effectively please
Like, Manectric was dropped to NU but it's already really good in RU
Manectric is decent in RU, its better with Amoonguss gone, but its not the biggest threat, but people do definitely need to stop using Ambipom

Manectric is decent in RU, its better with Amoonguss gone, but its not the biggest threat, but people do definitely need to stop using Ambipom
Manectric is definitely good in RU. Better than Jolteon, even. Ambipom is trash and needs to move to NU though.

I disagree on Manectric being better than Jolteon. Overheat is a nice coverage move, and it can arguably use Choice sets better due to Switcheroo, but other than that Jolteon is superior - it's much faster, and slightly stronger.

I disagree on Manectric being better than Jolteon. Overheat is a nice coverage move, and it can arguably use Choice sets better due to Switcheroo, but other than that Jolteon is superior - it's much faster, and slightly stronger.
First, check the VR. Manectric is ranked higher by 2 places, pretty sure. There hasn't been much discussion about it.

In a metagame where momentum is key, Jolteon finds itself walled by the best pokemon in RU - Mega Steelix. Manectric easily dispatches of Mega Steelix with Overheat, allowing it to spam STAB more. Also, having access to Overheat allows it to beat the shit out of any regen core in all of RU, withour being taken advatage of, while having more speed than other core-breakers, like Abomasnow.

RU is not your typical metagame. If this were, say, UU, I would 100% agree with you, but RU relies so much on pivoting to get past bulky pokemon that a more reliable pivot, like Manectric, is needed.

Last edited:
"Sylveon moved from OU to UU"
"Conkeldurr moved from OU to UU"

I saw someone on another area who said that those two mons moving to UU would never happen. It did. Now time to see how powerful they are.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
| 57 | Pelipper | 3.843% |
| 59 | Muk | 3.697% |
| 61 | Torterra | 3.421% |

I'd love to compose an entire post about why NU players should not use these mons. However I don't have time right now.

So

NU Players everywhere! It would be in your PERSONAL BEST INTEREST in order to NOT USE THESE POKEMON. There may or may not be consequences including but not limited to: sudden appearances of brown spots in your vision, hallucinations of missing gunk shots, withdrawal from pancakes, or death. K thx bye

| 57 | Pelipper | 3.843% |
| 59 | Muk | 3.697% |
| 61 | Torterra | 3.421% |

I'd love to compose an entire post about why NU players should not use these mons. However I don't have time right now.

So

NU Players everywhere! It would be in your PERSONAL BEST INTEREST in order to NOT USE THESE POKEMON. There may or may not be consequences including but not limited to: sudden appearances of brown spots in your vision, hallucinations of missing gunk shots, withdrawal from pancakes, or death. K thx bye
I agree with you on Muk and to a lesser extent Pelliper, but Torterra's actually a solid mon in NU especially with Aggron joining the tier. Its Rock Polish set is faster than Aggron and Rhydon, and thanks to STAB Wood Hammer can get through Pokémon like Poliwrath, Gastrodon and Claydol, which Aggron and Rhydon struggle with. Its Stealth Rock set isn't very good I'll admit, but Torterra is still a good mon to use in NU.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't it have to drop to UU first, earliest it could drop would be 4 months considering quick drops right, plus it'll probably hang around OU until a new stall archetype gets popular
Because it jumped two tiers it'd return to RU as opposed to dropping a tier at a time.

I agree with you on Muk and to a lesser extent Pelliper, but Torterra's actually a solid mon in NU especially with Aggron joining the tier. Its Rock Polish set is faster than Aggron and Rhydon, and thanks to STAB Wood Hammer can get through Pokémon like Poliwrath, Gastrodon and Claydol, which Aggron and Rhydon struggle with. Its Stealth Rock set isn't very good I'll admit, but Torterra is still a good mon to use in NU.
"still" it was pretty crap pre-drops and is honestly only considered decent/borderline good because of these drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)