2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly not too bothered after Dortmund's loss. I didn't expect that with Gundogan injured and Hummels leaving to Bayern that we would match Bayern blow for blow for 120 minutes and only lose by one goal in the penalties. Compared to last year, that's already an improvement and finishing ten points behind Bayern and twenty plus points above third is more than I could've imagined. Today's match showed that we do have the potential to challenge Bayern if we keep our best players. Granted, unless we get 500 million euro tomorrow we will find it tough to keep our best men in the squad--but if Tuchel took a relegation candidate (before January, at least) to second and to a cup final, he damn well can take them all the way. Especially with Ancelotti at the helm, who always seems to concentrate on the UCL more than he does on the domestic league. That said, I've got a few things to say...

1.) Burki is not overrated. He was superb at Freiburg, but move from a relegated team to Germany's second best and you will find it hard. (Weigl is an exception). In Freiburg's matches last year he scrapped at Bayern's attack. This year? He was inconsistent. He could be as awful as Koln last December or as superb as today. Give him another year--he's showing signs of improvement.

2.) Speed just isn't gonna cut it with Auba anymore. We could sort of ignore it against lower tier teams where he got dozens of chances per game but against top teams like Bayern, that just won't do. Tuchel must improve his finishing and his first touch--in fact, he even had the chance to finish it for us close to the end of extra time! Dembele's a clinical finisher who plays on the wing who has issues with teamwork. Auba has Tuchel's tactics down but his finishing sucks. Auba's proven that wingers can move to strikers and excel: could something similar happen with Dembele?

3.) Whatever you do, make Mkhitaryan sign an extension. Apart from increasing morale after losing our team captain to Bayern, he has been one of, if not the best, Dortmund player this year. His vision and passing are godlike and he's disgustingly underrated. First System of a Down and now him. Armenia, you make me proud.
For (2), Henry kind of did it first and became one of the best strikers of all-time.

For (3), I agree. I was pissed when he signed for Dortmund when we were in for him last time. Could have dragged us over the line. Perhaps because he isn't proven at an international tournament, people underrate him.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
walker starting against turkey, be fuming if he starts over clyne at the euros - walker can't defend for shit

Barcelona win the Copa Del Rey again. Sevilla had such a great opportunity after Mascherano got sent off and they blew it. The fact that towards the end of the game they completely lost their shape and got Banega sent off is even worse. Congrats to Barcelona, but it's more Sevilla just being bad than Barcelona playing well, because even when it was 11 v 11 they still were playing quite poorly.

For (2), Henry kind of did it first and became one of the best strikers of all-time.

For (3), I agree. I was pissed when he signed for Dortmund when we were in for him last time. Could have dragged us over the line. Perhaps because he isn't proven at an international tournament, people underrate him.
I feel really sorry for Miki and Auba tbh. There's few ironies greater than world class players who will never play at the World Cup or a similar international competition. They go in the pile of football-related entities I feel sorry for. 1954's Hungary will be your tour guide.

Which team do you support, Passer?

Relegation candidate?
Poor way to express it, but we did finish the Hinrunde (first half of the season) last year in 17th place. Our tactics just weren't working and morale was down the shitter: if you wanna read more about it, here: http://spielverlagerung.com/2015/09/15/team-analysis-tuchels-borussia-dortmund/

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Poor way to express it, but we did finish the Hinrunde (first half of the season) last year in 17th place. Our tactics just weren't working and morale was down the shitter: if you wanna read more about it, here: http://spielverlagerung.com/2015/09/15/team-analysis-tuchels-borussia-dortmund/
The team ended the season in 7th place, qualifying for the Europa League. Hardly a relegation candidate. Most of the side issues were also solved by the end of 14-15 season too, but it's not like Borussia Dortmund was ever truly a relegation candidate, even when the team was in 17th place they were playing much better than their position on the table suggested, and it was (for the most part) a combination of a slump in finishing, and punctual defensive/goalkeeping errors that caused the losing streak.

It's official now, club and (former) coach have issued statements! I hope LVG returns as a youth manager sometime in the future, but for now let's forget these three years have ever happened and be great again!

Jeong

Banned deucer.
I think the show and level return to English football with both named on the bench. I hope not wrong.

On the end of CL; I say 1-1 and Atletico Madrid win on penalties. To the excitement of all it would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)