Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing a split pokedex like kalos had. One section per island.
I'm not entirely sure on that. This is being listed as separate from something called the Alola Dex; the Kalos dex had three sections within it rather than being a section itself.

I looked at the new map and 2 curiosities caught my eye.
First: I found the island from the first trailer, it took me some time because the volcano looks different.
Second: If you look at the very top right corner of the ''total'' map, you can see an island hidden behind clouds.
What are you guys's taught on this? It could be that the region is bigger than we expected, they're at least hiding details on the map. I enclosed 2 pictures to make my point clear.

Old Island found:

Hidden Island:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not entirely sure on that. This is being listed as separate from something called the Alola Dex; the Kalos dex had three sections within it rather than being a section itself.
Keep in mind "Hawaii" is the name of the entire state/region and also the name of an individual island (the big/main island). Alola could be similar.

It's more likely that Alola is the name of the entire region (i.e., it will show your total dex count) and MeleMele is the name of the starting island. That would explain why both counts are identical in the video.

I looked at the new map and 2 curiosities caught my eye.
First: I found the island from the first trailer, it took me some time because the volcano looks different.
Second: If you look at the very top right corner of the ''total'' map, you can see an island hidden behind clouds.
What are you guys's taught on this? It could be that the region is bigger than we expected, they're at least hiding details on the map. I enclosed 2 pictures to make my point clear.

Old Island found:

Hidden Island:
Linked the wrong image in the second one, but I see what you mean in the top right. I think they have hidden stuff like this before, like on the ORAS map. Not out of the question.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These islands look fairly small to me. Or perhaps this is standard map size and just looks small due to the detail.

And the pokedex talks now? That's pretty interesting

I decided to post another things because it is unrelated to my previous post.
If you look at the battle scene, it seems that the ''Circle'' we're used to is completely gone.
I like it to be honest, as it makes for more immersion, what do you guys think?

EDIT: There are also no ''circles'' in the first trailer. And shockwave527 saw it too. (Just thought it'd be nice to give him credits even though I saw his post after I posted.)

Last edited:
A theory of lore for why Solgaleo and Lunala have such weird typings.

Solgaleo and Lunala, as pokemon of Sun, and Moon, were constantly fighting to keep more of the time of the day to themselves. As a result, the third legendary(which I will call Marshadow) eclipsed the Sun or Moon to balance out the time. Eventually, the constant changes were too much, and Lunala and Solgaleo were banned to the earth, so that the sun and moon would be in balance. As no longer the entities of the Sun and Moon, the legendaries lost their original typings of Fire-Psychic and Dark-Fairy to become the pokemon they are now. To regain their power, the gems on the bracelets allow for them to rise to their original forms.
These islands look fairly small to me. Or perhaps this is standard map size and just looks small due to the detail.

And the pokedex talks now? That's pretty interesting
yeah, but it seems as if there is little to none of unexplorable land

Lots of new videos in Japanese.
Don't know why they don't have English versions though.

The first and 3rd video seem interesting. The first showcases the in-game map? I see 2 huge sections of clouds, one in the middle and down and one in the top right, I think this could be 2 new island they have been hiding. I hope it isn't DLC though. The Island on the top right cloudy section can also be seen in the English trailer (see my previous post.)

One thing I'm surprised no one has brought up yet: back when Pokenchi revealed a clip of the battle system and showed off the HP bar for the first time, there was some talk about whether it was longer than 48 pixels this time around. That got quashed since the clip was cropped, making proper size comparisons impossible. Now that I believe we have a full view of the screen while the HP bar is displayed, can anyone check how many pixels long it is?

Damn, this region looks small at a glance, but it's huge. I count six Pokémon Centres on the northeastern island, and five more on the southeastern, most of them located in a town or settlement. The southwest island is a massive wilderness, and there are buildings all over the islands that easily could be a dungeon/story element of their own.

What's more, there appears to be very little "fluff" in Alola. Most other regions have huge forests, mountain ranges, great plains or rivers we could not access. They were only there to fill out the map. In Alola, it seems like there is a route going everywhere. Every forest, cliff or beach you see will probably house some route or dungeon. I'm really looking forward to explore it all.
I got the same feeling. The top-down views we got of the map reminds me a lot of the view we get in oras while soaring. While soaring the map looks reasonable small, but we all know it is quite big. Also because of the many volcano's and possible caves, there could be a lot of content not visible from the thus-far shown trailers.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One thing: the pokedex is fucking snazzy, if u watch the rotom dex japanese trailer every mon has a new piece of pose artwork for their dex entries as you flip through entries, AND apparently this art is different from their official art? (looking at rowlet's and litten's as examples)....so much more personality for mons now, yes! Hopefully you still get to look at their models though

Lunaalas revealed info is so freaking disappointing I'm so saddened right now. Reused, useless abilities don't help either. Solgaleo while unexpected seems viable but Ugh. Doesn't even matter if lunaala is fast and frail like people were saying as then sucker punch still says gg and that's a rampant move.

Having done such a terrible job on reshiram and zekrom and an amazing job on xerneas and yveltal you'd think they'd model them similar to the latter and not the former but i guess not.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, had another thought: since the Pokedex has a Rotom inside it, perhaps some of the in-game puzzles will involve using said Rotom to hack or manipulate machinery (i.e. jump out of your dex, into a computer, etc.)? I doubt the Dex-Rotom will actually battle, breed, or otherwise be able to interact with pokemon though.

edit: or perhaps this means more than just your Dex will be rotom compatible...the PC system especially comes to mind, might make it a bit more interactive and 'fun' to organize your Pokemon with instructions filled with personality

Lunaalas revealed info is so freaking disappointing I'm so saddened right now. Reused, useless abilities don't help either. Solgaleo while unexpected seems viable but Ugh. Doesn't even matter if lunaala is fast and frail like people were saying as then sucker punch still says gg and that's a rampant move.

Having done such a terrible job on reshiram and zekrom and an amazing job on xerneas and yveltal you'd think they'd model them similar to the latter and not the former but i guess not.
I beg your pardon, did you just call Multiscale useless?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up but at 1:07 in the American trailer you can see Kukui say that the region is chock full of nothing but rare Pokemon. So they might actually pull a B/W.
I think that this is proved incorrect simply by the whole "rotom dex" thing. We saw Salamence and Gengar in the trailer, yes, but those may have just been placeholders. However, Rotom is confirmed to be a major part of this game, so I'd find it hard to believe that that would be the only returning Pokemon in the regional dex.

Another reason to believe they won't be pulling a B/W again is simply the fact of Mega Evolutions. Last generation only one mega-evolution was of a 5th generation Pokemon if I'm not mistaken, and the only one from gen 6 was a legendary. I assume if they add more they will be coming from past generations, which would make it hard to keep as a feature if old Pokemon were not present naturally in the region.

I also want to state that, while no one really thought this would be a thing in the first place, we basically have confirmation that there will not be a new typing. They did not keep the typings of the legendaries hidden for long, so there's probably not much happening on that front.

Lastly, Corocoro should be coming up next. Do we expect anything new from them? Or just reiterations of what was announced in the trailers and on the website?

lol

For a longer answer, I doubt we'll get anything major at this point. If we've gotten any good news from them in the past few months, it's their lack of news being an indication of Game Freak/TPCi/whatever moving away from them as their main source of info. We might get some minor things and maybe a new Pokémon or Mega or two, but it won't be really big or exclusive for long. imho.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Super cool.

As far as ignoring abilities, this means if you use a +1 Sunsteel Strike or Moongeist Beam against, say, Unaware Clefable that it will still count your own positive stat boosts. You'll also be able to critical hit through Battle Armor and OHKO through Sturdy.

Solgaleo's type surprised me a little, but I will be interested to see if they have Primal Reversions that alter their types. It does feel somewhat close to Metagross considering it's got Steel/Psychic typing with a Steel sig. move and a Clear Body clone, but it's not like Steel/Psychic is a bad typing anyway. Lunala's type makes sense and I don't see them changing it in a Primal Reversion. If they do, though based on sig. moves It'd probably change to Fire/Steel and Fairy/Ghost respectively.

That said, Psychic/Ghost isn't even a bad typing except for that horrible 4x Dark weak, but even then Lunala is almost guaranteed to learn Moonblast so Darkmons won't be able to switch in casually.

The region looks epic, and it looks like you'll get a 3rd person perspective in wild areas which is new and completely boss, like being in Pokemon XD but for the entire game.

The hype is real guys. Next info on the 14th!

Cool vids. On my phone right now but I'm not entirely sure why people are so up in arms about Lunala's typing as if Ghost isn't one of the best offensive types in the game. I can't think of anything outside Yveltal, Darkceus, and EKiller that have typing and bulk to switch in. From a pure lore standpoint though, this does at least leave the option open for Ghost/Fairy Mismagius mega (fingers crossed).

Solgaleo's typing came out of left field for sure but its promising. Looks cool af still.

Moar Psychic legendaries :(

I liked the twist for the design of the legendaries, Solgaleo is a reflector/solar panel and Lunala is the emitter/projector when normally the sun is the emitter of light and the moon is the reflector. I just wished they didn't make them psychic types, if Solgaleo is the devourer of the sun and uses the energy like a solar panel Steel/Electric would've made so much sense, heck it even lights up yellow when it is about to attack. Lunala not being a flying type irks me, hate it when Pokemon without wings are flying type but winged pokemon that are clearly flying/floating are not flying type and/or not immune to ground.

My dislike for the overused psychic type aside. I'm very interested in the story for this game. While there is a dualism in the legendaries representing the sun and the moon their secondary typings contrast with each other in an odd way. Sort of like the gen4 legendaries they were all dragons but their secondary types represented a concept rather than just being the counter-type. In this case Steel being a hard material and Ghost intangible. If Solgaleo is Psychic/Steel and Lunala Psychic/Ghost, then maybe the third legendary will be Psychic/Water as a throwback to gen4 xD gen4 remake confirmed Anyway I'm looking forward to what silly evil organization we will have to face this time. Will they try to steal the sun/moon? Maybe their plan is to send Solgaleo to the sun so that it eats it or have Lunala block the sun rays. I wonder what silly excuse they will come up with haha.

Excusing the primals and mega Ray who get 100 extra BP for free, Xerneas is the single most powerful cover legendary ever created. Gamefreak probably wanted to dial the power creep back a little.

Lunala looks pretty solid, I feel. Defensively, that typing is pretty atrocious. It should be offensively too, but Moongeist Beam or whatever it's called could be amazing. Ghost STAB is great offensively and mostly inhibited by the highest BP move being Shadow Ball. If this move is 100 BP or so, it's gonna rock. Stat distribution and movepool are going to determine a lot, imo. If it can join Lugia in escaping the base 90-100 speed quagmire cover legendaries have been wading in and get something like Roost or Recover (seems reasonable) I think it'll be solid. Sincerely doubting we have another Kyurem situation on our hands.

Someone noticed that all the Pokemon featured in this trailer all had 0 IVs, just like how most ORAS screenshots had 100 HP EVs with 31 IVs. This means that Solgaleo's HP is likely base 152(!!!). If Lunala gets that, the only thing stopping it is Yveltal.

I just realised from the QR Code page....

Share QR Code Patterns of Pokémon!
You can display the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught in your own Pokédex. If you and a friend show each other the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught, you can both register the Pokémon in your Pokédexes!
So, I foresee that some people will gather the QR codes for all Pokemon and then it'll just take effort of scanning +720 QR codes to complete the Pokedex now? Or...?

Excusing the primals and mega Ray who get 100 extra BP for free, Xerneas is the single most powerful cover legendary ever created. Gamefreak probably wanted to dial the power creep back a little.

Lunala looks pretty solid, I feel. Defensively, that typing is pretty atrocious. It should be offensively too, but Moongeist Beam or whatever it's called could be amazing. Ghost STAB is great offensively and mostly inhibited by the highest BP move being Shadow Ball. If this move is 100 BP or so, it's gonna rock. Stat distribution and movepool are going to determine a lot, imo. If it can join Lugia in escaping the base 90-100 speed quagmire cover legendaries have been wading in and get something like Roost or Recover (seems reasonable) I think it'll be solid. Sincerely doubting we have another Kyurem situation on our hands.

Someone noticed that all the Pokemon featured in this trailer all had 0 IVs, just like how most ORAS screenshots had 100 HP EVs with 31 IVs. This means that Solgaleo's HP is likely base 152(!!!). If Lunala gets that, the only thing stopping it is Yveltal.
Wait, how do we know everything in the trailer has 0 IVs? Is it also 0 EVs and if so how do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 32)