Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now that the sites have been updated, Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam are moves that ignore the opponents' Abilities. Useful to hit random Wonder Guard, Multiscale and Sturdy users, I guess.

Lots of new videos in Japanese.
Don't know why they don't have English versions though.

The fact that Lunala's trailer still didn't show it's HP at Level 50 annoys me more than it should.

Love the kooky little lab the professor's holed up in though. He's gonna be quite the character.

It has been confirmed that Pokémon Sun & Moon will be featured on Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3 on June 14th 2016 which feature new information and developer stories, while Pokémon GO will have a Q&A on June 15th 2016 and an E3 2016 Pokémon Special on June 16th 2016.
Edit @ 14:34: In a special video on the Japanese site, the Pokédex lists the Alola Pokédex and the MeleMele Pokédex.

It has been confirmed that Pokémon Sun & Moon will be featured on Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3 on June 14th 2016 which feature new information and developer stories, while Pokémon GO will have a Q&A on June 15th 2016 and an E3 2016 Pokémon Special on June 16th 2016.
Edit @ 14:34: In a special video on the Japanese site, the Pokédex lists the Alola Pokédex and the MeleMele Pokédex.
But where's my BrawlBrawl Pokédex and Smash4Smash4 Pokédex?

Well I got the Psychic typing right at least.

Wish they gave us a definite new Pokemon besides another Rotom forme.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, on the subject of the signature moves: I bet Solgaleo's is Physical while Lunala's is Special... But what about the fact that they ignore abilities? Does that mean stat boosts count when using it vs an Unaware pokemon? Because with the typings being Ghost for Lunala and most likely Steel for Solgaleo... It isnt like you have to worry about stuff like Flash Fire or Levitate. Heck, what WOULD be the use of ignoring abilities for those types?
From a Gen VI perspective, it looks kind of useless. But Gen VII might turn the tables in some way. Perhaps there will be Steel or Ghost immunity abilities? Perhaps the ability mechanics will be overhauled to a point where ignoring abilities is a huge deal for individual moves? I mean, imagine if we saw a move or ability that said "prevents the opponent Pokémon from changing formes in the midst of battle" when Gen VI was announced. We'd think "that would counter Castform, Cherrim and Zen Mode Darmanitan. And Meloetta, I guess. Big deal". However, knowing what we do today, such an ability would have shattered the Gen VI metagame. In Gen V, we'd think such an ability would be useless. In Gen VI, we'd all agree it would be broken.

Keep in mind that we might have some situations this generation too. We observe the new Pokémon and their abilities from a Gen VI point of view, without any knowledge of the changes Gen VII will bring to the table. Gen VI added things so ludicrous that if we had been told about them beforehand, we'd dismiss them as the rambling wishlisting of an insane fan. No reason to think this won't be different.

They seemed to have reverted the gyms to their Gen 1/2 styles. You can see them dotted around the region in the HQ map.

I only see two of them, one on island 1 and one on island 2 (the one you showed), and with all those fancy buildings everywhere I doubt they will revert back and use something so simple for Gyms.

Well that was... disappointing.

Blatantly reused type combinations with rebranded abilities for the new legendaries. Pokémon use the exact same models as their Gen VI counterparts did, with the faded colour scheme and stupid floating models completely intact. The rival acts like Gen VI's "oh hi bestie whoops I got beaten again lol" pack of "friends". I don't see what point there is to putting a Rotom in your Dex, or rather I don't see that not becoming annoying in some way or the other.
Maybe I'm just miserable.

Map looks nice though, seems they're holding on to the tradition that you only get an Ice setting only after the 6/7th badge like they have for the past 6 generations (because we wouldn't want you to use those OP Ice types so soon!), but apart from that the terrains seem surprisingly diverse.

From a Gen VI perspective, it looks kind of useless. But Gen VII might turn the tables in some way. Perhaps there will be Steel or Ghost immunity abilities? Perhaps the ability mechanics will be overhauled to a point where ignoring abilities is a huge deal for individual moves? I mean, imagine if we saw a move or ability that said "prevents the opponent Pokémon from changing formes in the midst of battle" when Gen VI was announced. We'd think "that would counter Castform, Cherrim and Zen Mode Darmanitan. And Meloetta, I guess. Big deal". However, knowing what we do today, such an ability would have shattered the Gen VI metagame. In Gen V, we'd think such an ability would be useless. In Gen VI, we'd all agree it would be broken.

Keep in mind that we might have some situations this generation too. We observe the new Pokémon and their abilities from a Gen VI point of view, without any knowledge of the changes Gen VII will bring to the table. Gen VI added things so ludicrous that if we had been told about them beforehand, we'd dismiss them as the rambling wishlisting of an insane fan. No reason to think this won't be different.
So I was thinking and since both pokemon don't have the types they should( fire for solgaleo, fairy and dark for lunala) I can see these as "dormant" forms and the active forms have the "true typings" similar to hoopa

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I only see two of them, one on island 1 and one on island 2 (the one you showed), and with all those fancy buildings everywhere I doubt they will revert back and use something so simple for Gyms.
It's possible the early game gyms look like that. I'm sure there will be a few other "cooler" gyms.

On a different note, I feel like the towns on Island 3 have to either be hidden within the canyon (there's a path leading into it) and/or inside the giant tree. It feels weird to have a giant island with only one Pokémon Center.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Damn, this region looks small at a glance, but it's huge. I count six Pokémon Centres on the northeastern island, and five more on the southeastern, most of them located in a town or settlement. The southwest island is a massive wilderness, and there are buildings all over the islands that easily could be a dungeon/story element of their own.

What's more, there appears to be very little "fluff" in Alola. Most other regions have huge forests, mountain ranges, great plains or rivers we could not access. They were only there to fill out the map. In Alola, it seems like there is a route going everywhere. Every forest, cliff or beach you see will probably house some route or dungeon. I'm really looking forward to explore it all.

Blatantly reused type combinations with rebranded abilities for the new legendaries. Pokémon use the exact same models as their Gen VI counterparts did, with the faded colour scheme and stupid floating models completely intact. The rival acts like Gen VI's "oh hi bestie whoops I got beaten again lol" pack of "friends". I don't see what point there is to putting a Rotom in your Dex, or rather I don't see that not becoming annoying in some way or the other.

Map looks nice though, seems they're holding on to the tradition that you only get an Ice setting only after the 6/7th badge like they have for the past 6 generations (because we wouldn't want you to use those OP Ice types so soon!), but apart from that the terrains seem surprisingly diverse.
Cloyster at gym 3, vanillite at gym 4 both able to be used vs gym 4 and 5.

Gen 1 and 5 averted that rule.

navi of pokemon....
yay rowet is safe for now

Anyone notice the trainer's bracelets? They got those gems from the Japanese logos. No Mega stone on them; perhaps Mega-evolution is going to be earned post-game?

Strangely, Serebii states that there are two Pokédex listings, one of which is known as Alola. (We already knew that.) Serebii refers to the other as "MeleMele". What exactly does this point at?

EDIT: Does this mean that Alola is only one of the islands out of four?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)