2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is De Gea first choice for Spain currently? (I know De Gea is their best keeper but the coach makes strange decisions what with Bartra, Fabregas, Vasquez and not including Martinez, Gabi, Saul ).

The England team is still looking like a selection nightmare. The midfield will probably be Rooney, Dier and Alli but you want Kane and Vardy up front together somehow and Wilshere is a talent that I'm sure Roy would want to fit in the team. 4-4-2 diamond is the obvious answer but the team would lack width and it only ever truly works if you employ a defensive counter-sucker punching style and punt long balls up to the front two while the back 8 keep it tight and support on the break.

That's not the style that Roy has been trying to implement at all so then it leads to a 4-3-3 where you drop Wilshere and play a conventional midfield three of Rooney, Dier and Alli. I would personally put Vardy at the focal point and Kane on the wing (unlike Hodgeson) because Kane naturally likes to drift (giving him freedom out wide and centrally) while Vardy is faster and far more comfortable as the spearhead. The system can be balanced by playing a traditional winger on the other wing and Sterling would be perfect for this role. However Kane on the wing is not as efficient as when he's alongside Vardy.

Which leads us to traditional 4-4-2 but then you'd have to drop one of Rooney, Dier and Alli (I know what you're all thinking) and potentially play Lallana or Wilshere or Henderson or Milner on the wing (unless you wanna play Rooney or Alli there). This is again inefficient and once the players start to drift the shape starts to look like the 4-3-3 mentioned previously...

So what's the solution? Personally I think Hodgeson will play Vardy as an impact sub and Kane will lead the line. I also think he has half an eye on dropping Dier and playing Wilshere in the defensive mid role. This could lead to a Rooney-Wilshere-Alli midfield with Sterling and Lallana or Milner on the wings which sounds quite like a Hodgeson kind of team that is kinda slow in the build up, designed to dominate midfield, recycle possession and kinda has balance. What it would lack though is the explosive partnership of Vardy and Kane and a true DM. I really can't make up my mind what would be best and only time will tell what the final line up will be I guess. But as a whole this could all be pointless because the team is very young and kinda shit when you look at the squads of France and Germany, Spain, Belgium and even Portugal! Plus you never know with some dark horses like Russia and Wales and Italy if they decide to 1-0 their way to another cup.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
4-3-3 is the most likely shape, and as long as Rooney is played as a sub (he's an awful CM honestly), with a midfield of Dier, Alli + whoever is fit from Henderson/Wilshere/etc the team should be fine, it's not a bad lineup.

A midfield diamond seems okay too, England's fullbacks (Rose and Walker) are good at providing width (it's what they're best at probably).

Overall, as long as Rooney doesnt start the lineup and structure of the team should be fine. And to be honest, I dont think there are many strong teams in the tournament, Germany, Spain and France are the strongest but they look more vulnerable than other times, so England or another dark horse may have a shot.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
we've just appointed garry monk as manager which is a decent scoop for us, i didn't think anyone would touch the leeds job when we have an insane owner

shame we'll still have below average players and still finish bottom half leading to monk's sacking. the cycle continues.

Overall, as long as Rooney doesnt start the lineup and structure of the team should be fine.
You know that's not gonna happen. Woy Owlface dropping England and Man Utd Captain Marvel Wayne Rooney? That's about as high a chance as Gerrard signing for Man Utd.

I actually don't think the squad is bad but Woy picked players who are just recovering from injuries or are out of form. Then, he wasn't good at tactics (he had Liverpool in the relegation zone before he was sacked) so I think he's going to get found out by the better teams in the tournament. Oh, and having only Smalling as a decent CB is a big headache too (Stones and Cahill have had an average season. )

It is less for the start of the European Championship, but these 6 days I will do forever. But there want to see good football and international stars in action.

On the other hand I still faces some signing Bartra seems confirmed by Dortmund. I'm a big fan of Dortmund and I'm not sure to forget a defense as Hummels is the best way. It also surprised me how easy it has missed the club. Anyway, I guess more money to sign. I would love Bellerin for the post of D. Alves, I see no other better now.

So it seems Alves is officially goin to Juventus F.C. While I'm not a fan of that team (Inter supporter here lol) I have to admit the team seems to be pretty much solid, especially if the club manages to get also Mascherano. The only disappoint in those purchases is that both players are getting old so they can be useful for the club just for 2-3 years if they manage to perform well. If Mascherano renews his contract with Barcelona, then Kovacic seems to be the backup option, though the guy has to prove himself yet since he's doing p bad ever since the departure from Inter.
So Juventus now can play both 4-4-2 and 3-5-2.
4-4-2: Buffon; Evra/A.Sandro, Chiellini, Bonucci, D.Alves; Marchisio, Mascherano/Kovacic(?), Khedira, Pogba; Dybala, Mandzukic/Zaza (Morata will likely leave)
in case Juve doesn't get either Mascherano or Kovacic, Khedira will play at their position while Hernanes will play as offensive midfielder though he had a bad season so it seems Juve should get a stronger player.
3-5-2: Buffon; Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli/Rugani; Evra/Sandro, Pogba, Khedira, Marchisio/Mascherano/Kovacic, Alves/Cuadrado; Dybala, Mandzukic/Zaza.
Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)