2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth does Sterling get to play almost the entire match and Vardy gets benched?

confusedjackiechan.gif

Also I hope by the end of today all those whiners about having 24 teams would finally shut up, all the aces barely got a win if at all, Romania couod have gone the distance and Albania blew it why only God knows...

How on earth does Sterling get to play almost the entire match and Vardy gets benched?

confusedjackiechan.gif

Also I hope by the end of today all those whiners about having 24 teams would finally shut up, all the aces barely got a win if at all, Romania couod have gone the distance and Albania blew it why only God knows...
It's like the first chance Hodgson gets to bench Vardy he takes it because he's not playing for Man Utd/Man City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea when really Vardy has been player of the season and arguably star player for the Premier League Champions (if not Vardy then Mahrez). It frustrates me to no end that Hodgson picks names over form. That, and a defensive mindset. I was happy with the team selection because it was attacking and the first half showed that. Second half Hodgson opts to react as opposed to act and invited Russia onto a weak defence. Why? Keep piling the pressure, especially when they have to attack (which they hadn't done at all until 60 mins in) after Dier's goal.

I really don't get why Raheem Sterling plays in the English Team more than 5 minutes per match. He's a donkey boy who the only thing he knows to do is run like a retard towards the baseline and cross to the pitch without A SINGLE TEAMMATE IN THE AREA. Jesus, I really don't get it.

And the Drinkwater snub was ridiculous.

Rooney was good today simply because there was no pressure. And if that is the best that England can do, then everyone claiming they are a contender for the euro's is just straight up trolling. The best player on the field had zero pressure on him all game

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.

confusedjackiechan.gif

The reason why people whine about 24 teams is because the format is awful (and unfair), not because of the teams themselves. People are right to complain about it, see:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/and...-will-play-little-part-in-euro-2016-1.2459018

Apparently 2 fans have died amidst the violence after the game (that had started before as well). Or at least, fighting for their lives.

People need to learn to behave/drink responsibly. Reports are that the English started it (wouldn't be the first time) but it's stupid and has no place in any entertainment venue.

Decent game but no cutting edge from England. Not just being a biased Arsenal fan but I honestly think England need Wilshere. His passes were so much faster and the timing of the release was sharper than anyone else on the pitch when he came on. This could be controversial but I'd play him instead of Alli. Alli is playing the role of attacking mid and central ball carrier but Wilshere is far more creative and one of the best central dribblers around. His all-round game is not as good as Alli and he takes far more risks but that's a good thing as a no.10 imo. The reason I'd keep Rooney is for the control and the experience. Of course Wilshere could replace Lallana which I'd also like to see but that places massive responsibility on Sterling. I think Hodgeson has the right formation but he just needs to tweak it to get the best personnel to play that system. 4-4-2 diamond won't work no matter how good it looks on paper because the players just don't suit it.

It's a shame about the fan violence. Don't know who to blame until we hear more. People shouldn't be losing lives for this shit!

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Well that's an England game if ever I saw one

I don't why I'm surprised tbh - they do this every time. They played well but not as well as the commentators think they did - we rarely broke down a shitty Russian side that couldn't string 5 passes together, and despite constant pressure we needed an Akinfeev fuck-up from a freekick that shouldn't've been given to score (Though tbf Akinfeev did pull off a worldie save just beforehand). After that we wasted so many more opportunities and so the Russian goal was inevitable.

In terms of individual performances, I think it was Rooney > Walker > Sterling, Sterling was brilliant in the first half but almost nonexistent in the second. It seemed like every attack for England came through Rooney's through balls/crossfield passes, so all the naysayers about him can shut the fuck (Which includes me before the game tbh). Lallana was shit throughout, Kane had an off-day, and Hart was surprisingly piss-poor with his delivery.

Overall we'll still get out of this group but manage to fuck up to the point where we need like an 89th minute Smalling header against Slovakia to nab 2nd or something.

Also why the fuck was Kane taking the corners? He has a good presence in the box godammit!
lol

easily our best player in the first half

e: @ fan violence, don't believe everything you read. i have mates out there and there's a violence originating from the russians and local french dodgies. not saying our fans will be innocent ecause they won't, but there is more than meets the eye

For fan violence you need to wait for all the details to emerge before casting blame. For england in general, they need something in between Rooney's midfield distribution and the shot on target. Alli, sterling, lallana, and even kane at times were trying to drop back into that role and created some decent chances but a lot of the chances could be credited to they were playing russia instead of well built chances. And not taking those chances is going to absolutely kill them. If only they had a forward who regularly took those chances consistently during the premier league season and ended up winning because of it...

Woy be like "I thought we can be satisfied with our performance tonight." lol. Memories of the draw Liverpool got against Northampton springs to mind.

He got his selection horribly wrong tonight, as to be expected of him. Wayne Looney had a good game? That's because England were playing a pub team who couldn't string 5 passes together or defend as a unit. Why was Harry Kane taking corners? That makes as much sense as Young playing as No.9

Forgot about "50-mil rated young talent" Raheem $terling. Hahahaha. Gets the ball -> Runs into blind alley -> Loses the ball -> Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Not sure why bringing on the not at all match sharp Wilshere to defend a slim lead was thought to be a good idea. Tbf Russia didn't threaten at all in the match and were fortuitous to have their once chance and one goal but the little things do come back to hit you in the end as it did there.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Nation of fuckin chokers... English football never fails to disappoint
Watched the game at a party and I just fuckin went straight home after it was done because I couldn't fuckin take it

lol

lallana easily our best player in the first half
You're kidding me, right? He got into decent positions and then fucked up great chances with some shitty finishing. He lost the ball on numerous occasions and any threat on the right-hand side came from Walker (who along with Sterling n Rooney was prob one of the best players in the first half), not fucking Lallana.

The reason why people whine about 24 teams is because the format is awful (and unfair), not because of the teams themselves. People are right to complain about it, see:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/and...-will-play-little-part-in-euro-2016-1.2459018
Huh, well I guess I was reading the wrong crowd then. Why don't they just reward top number 1's with third placed teams instead of having it automatically based on which group you were drawn into, I mean ofcourse it's unfair that way...

Surprised that the massive bang in the last moments of the game was a flare gun being fired. In a nation gripped by fear of terrorist attacks, that's shocking security.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Huh, well I guess I was reading the wrong crowd then. Why don't they just reward top number 1's with third placed teams instead of having it automatically based on which group you were drawn into, I mean ofcourse it's unfair that way...
Because there are only 4 third placed teams, and there are 6 group winners. It would better if the Round of 16 was randomized, but it still makes for an unfair, and not very exciting Group Stage. The Eurocup Group Stage has usually been highly entertaining because it was ''stacked'' and good teams were eliminated, as only 50% of the teams could advance. However, the 24-team format means that 75% percent of the teams qualify, so the group stage is very dull, as the stakes are very low.

The ''best thirds'' rule also means that the best strategy for most teams is just to draw all their matches or to win one and then try to ''not lose by much'':

Also read:

http://www.espnfc.com/european-cham...make-euro-2016-group-stage-a-defensive-battle

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
What a sweetly hit volley from Modric! Everyone knew Croatia would win, they're just better, but that wonder strike aside, their finishing was piss poor, really expected more from Mandzukic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)