SINNOH CLASSIC

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm... are there any Pokemon exclusive to gen 4 / 5 Pokebank shenanigans that would be useful? Only one I can think of is Helping Hand Togekiss, who I imagine could work nicely with Garchomp (sorta like what I do with Landorus-T when I play on XY Doubles hehehehe). However after that, I'm sorta at a loss. Only other ones I can think of are maybe... Helping Hand Dusclops or Follow Me Magmar? I imagine those are pretty niche though.

On the bright side if there really isn't much else, that'd mean that we wouldnt have a situation like Johto Classic were the legendary dogs had really useful moves locked away behind an event!

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hmm... are there any Pokemon exclusive to gen 4 / 5 Pokebank shenanigans that would be useful? Only one I can think of is Helping Hand Togekiss, who I imagine could work nicely with Garchomp (sorta like what I do with Landorus-T when I play on XY Doubles hehehehe). However after that, I'm sorta at a loss. Only other ones I can think of are maybe... Helping Hand Dusclops or Follow Me Magmar? I imagine those are pretty niche though.

On the bright side if there really isn't much else, that'd mean that we wouldnt have a situation like Johto Classic were the legendary dogs had really useful moves locked away behind an event!
Follow Me Blastoise could be useful

Also, I imagine Dragonite and TTar are banned because in gen 4, it was impossible to get them without events at level 50. Heatran is weird though so Platinum enabled you to pull it off.
Actually, you could Pokeradar Larvitar and fish for Dratini in Diamond and Pearl, so I doubt that's the reason.

Lack of Mega on Venusaur is actually another reason too; Mega Venusaur would be damn near untouchable in the meta. Non-Mega still works though, I have not forgotten the ever-raining days of Gen 5.
Staraptor might see use too. Intimidate, Tailwind, Ground Immune, and vicious STABs (also possibly buffed by Reckless) are no joke, and with Talonflame out of the book it isn't seeing much competition.
This is going to be so fucking fun. I will almost certainly bring back my ancient but legendary Ninetales.

No, fuck HailRoom, I fucking hate HailRoom. Its retarded and I have had waaaay too many narrow victories against it.

Also, with TTar gone and things like Volcarona not existing, Cresselia is almost certain to be THE S-rank support and a nightmare with CM. Scizor and Heracross guys.
WOHOO! Hyped for this as well. Always happy to see another Ninetales fan; I too ran one in Gen IV competitively for a bit. But this time she has Drought instead of Flash Fire and no pesky Ttar to ruin her day in the sun...muahahah >:-)

What set are you considering running on ol' Nine?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Actually, you could Pokeradar Larvitar and fish for Dratini in Diamond and Pearl, so I doubt that's the reason.
He meant the level that they both evolve at (Lv 55). Multiplayer battles back then didn't scale Pokemon levels to lv 50, which meant that Pokemon level 51 and higher couldn't be used in competitions like VGC back then, hence why they're both banned.

He meant the level that they both evolve at (Lv 55). Multiplayer battles back then didn't scale Pokemon levels to lv 50, which meant that Pokemon level 51 and higher couldn't be used in competitions like VGC back then, hence why they're both banned.
OH! That makes complete sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Ludicolo will be big here.

- Rain will be everywhere, because Tyranitar is banned and the other weather sucks in Doubles without Mega Stones
- Ice Beam kills Garchomp
- it is immune to Rage Powder and threatens Azumarill with a Grass-type STAB and doesn't really care about Aqua Jet
- it learns Fake Out
- no Talonflame

EDIT: WTF Soul Dew? I'm so playing this.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
yeah I really like the look of this comp, Pearl was my first game so the nostalgia factor is strong here :) Worth noting that a lot of the better Dark-types are gone from this format (Scrafty, Bisharp, Hydra) so the ones that remain, such as Weavile, are going to be even better still. Sableye is the best Prankster in the meta as well (Murkrow only really has Tailwind and maybe Feather Dance over it). Empoleon has the typing for anti-rain (the neutrality to Ludicolo's Grass attacks is key here) but other than Icy Wind it doesn't bring much in the way of Doubles support :( speaking of anti-rain, Parasect. gotta love Parasect <3

US/EU rules have updated with the ban of Phione.
I can't wait for this competition since I've better feeling with Doubles. Imo Cresselia, Scizor, Rain stuff, Hail stuff, Staraptor, Smeargle, Infernape and redirection mons are the biggest threats.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
too bad it gets bodied by ice beams
spdef takes like 30% from most ice beams which is hilarious. doesn't stop it from dying to weavile though ;(

but really, spore wide guard and rage powder on the one mon is a dream. it hard stops rain, trick room and azumarill and it's weaknesses aren't too difficult to cover (it stops heat wave and rock slide by itself). so far it's been performing really well on the team I mocked up, more than adequate as a replacement for amoonguss at the very least

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please post relevant calcs when making a statement concerning a Pokemon's matchup against another Pokemon. It's pretty obvious Parasect doesn't take 30% from a rain sweeper's Ice Beam. It's a fucking Parasect, not a Chansey.

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 99-117 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Dry Skin recovery and Sitrus Berry recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Dry Skin recovery and Leftovers recovery

Yeah, I don't see this happening either...

4 Atk Parasect X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 116-140 (74.8 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Dry Skin recovery and Sitrus Berry recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Dry Skin recovery and Leftovers recovery
Never use Leftovers in Doubles ^^

Never use Leftovers in Doubles ^^
With Protect, Dry Skin and item clause it is definitely possible to make a case for Leftovers Parasect. No idea what you're talking about.
Not everybody will be willing to give his one Sitrus Berry to a Parasect. lol

Oh and Doubles Ferrothorn does run Leftovers too. As does Cresselia. Saying never is just wrong.
Heatran, Aegislash, Suicune, Milotic and a bunch of other stuff says hi too...

No Mega Stones also makes item clause even more annoying.

Last edited:
Hey guys, new here (or, more accurately, long time on-and-off lurker)

Looking forward to participating in this one. I don't know a whole lot about doubles metagames, unfortunately. Kinda got stomped in the June International, but that's OK.

Yo guys,what about TrickStorm?
I mean Hippowdon is viable and has Sand Stream as well and we can also use Storm Drain Cradily, and Sand Veil Garchomp.
Bronzong,eviolite Dusclops,Dusknoir,eviolite Pory2, Claydol and Slowbro/king look like pretty good trick room setters to me.

I mean if you think about it you just need some mons to counter the rain teams (Tangrowth looks awesome in that regard) and I remember TrickStorm was pretty effective through all 4th gen.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
inb4 Soul Dew Lati@s S+++ Rank
Don't worry, Soul Dew will almost undoubtedly be banned. Almost every competition they seem to forget to include those bans on the list at first, but even in competitions that allowed the big guys like Xerneas and Mega Ray, I don't think Soul Dew was allowed.

Also re: weather, I think Hailroom with Abomasnow looks incredibly dangerous in this so I wouldn't completely ignore non-rain weathers. In fact I'd say rain's new tools since 2008 (where it was actually already a thing) is another thing that makes Hailroom appealing as something with a generally good matchup against it. Good Ice types in general seem highly dangerous though, Weavile in particular seems incredibly annoying to like every seemingly dangerous threat bar Azumarill, Infernape and kind of Rhyperior.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So Nelson Tangela came up with this sick moody team, and some of us have been using it on the ladder (I have too).

I may have underestimated Smeargle tbh, because of one big factor I didn't take into account: Entrainment!

With this move, Smeargle can put Moody on really bulky stuff like Cresselia, Suicune, and Porygon2, making them fucking monsters to take down. Combine this with Quick Guard support, and I think Smeargle might be something we might need some finesse to prepare for! I'm not sure if I'm gonna use this on cart (because I expect people to prepare for it and my luck with Moody is a bit iffy lol), but I certainly want to prepare for it now! I'm thinking of Feint Pokemon to try, and maybe Perish Song mons for some teams to prevent Moody from destroying everything. I also almost got owned by Taunt Crobat, so I imagine that could be good. Just gotta watch out for Icy Wind though...

We might want to discuss this some more, because even if this Smeargle Entrainment strat doesn't end up being common, its one of those strats that's very easy to lose to if you don't prepare for it.

Also for entertainment value: here's a mirror match we had with the team! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392757219

EDIT: Here are some replays Nelson Tangela has, he doesn't have time to post atm

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392785187
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392782689

Last edited:
So Nelson Tangela came up with this sick moody team, and some of us have been using it on the ladder (I have too).

I may have underestimated Smeargle tbh, because of one big factor I didn't take into account: Entrainment!

With this move, Smeargle can put Moody on really bulky stuff like Cresselia, Suicune, and Porygon2, making them fucking monsters to take down. Combine this with Quick Guard support, and I think Smeargle might be something we might need some finesse to prepare for! I'm not sure if I'm gonna use this on cart (because I expect people to prepare for it and my luck with Moody is a bit iffy lol), but I certainly want to prepare for it now! I'm thinking of Feint Pokemon to try, and maybe Perish Song mons for some teams to prevent Moody from destroying everything. I also almost got owned by Taunt Crobat, so I imagine that could be good. Just gotta watch out for Icy Wind though...

We might want to discuss this some more, because even if this Smeargle Entrainment strat doesn't end up being common, its one of those strats that's very easy to lose to if you don't prepare for it.

Also for entertainment value: here's a mirror match we had with the team! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392757219

EDIT: Here are some replays Nelson Tangela has, he doesn't have time to post atm

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392785187
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392782689
I need that team in my hands!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)