Battle Maison Discussion & Records

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've updated things through here, so as always, please let me know if you spot any errors or omissions. Just today, I noticed that I had Adamant Zoroark listed twice in singles, but I've finally caught that and consolidated the two entries.

To add a more substantive issue to this post, I've been musing about whether we "missed" anything in Subway play, in light of what we've learned in the XY and ORAS Maison. For example, while both Chansey and Gliscor got some use in the Subway, neither had anywhere near the level of success they've subsequently achieved in the Maison. Is this just a function of the Maison letting these Pokemon team with mega evolutions, coupled with the Maison's narrower threat list due to using mainly set 4 foes? Or did we just fail to identify how best to take advantage of their strengths? Could we go back to the Subway and put together a massive Gliscor streak? Are there other Pokemon that we used successfully this generation that may have been worthy of more Subway play?

For reference, our Subway leaderboard is here. I'm definitely interested in hearing people's thoughts about what we might have missed!

Ok so like I'm making a Singles Durant team and I have a Truant Durant and a Moody Glalie already and I want help on the last member, what are some good suggestions?
Is your Glalie carrying a mega stone? If not, guys like Mega Kang, Scizor, or Gyarados are always solid additions to any team. Even if it's not a mega, just something that can manage a sweep on it's own, without relying on Durant to give it free setup, will get you out of those panic situations where Truant Durant fails you.

Another way to go would be to add something that can help guarantee Durant will be able to entrain unhindered. Any way you can prevent the enemy from taunting, such as being able to taunt first for example.

Is your Glalie carrying a mega stone? If not, guys like Mega Kang, Scizor, or Gyarados are always solid additions to any team. Even if it's not a mega, just something that can manage a sweep on it's own, without relying on Durant to give it free setup, will get you out of those panic situations where Truant Durant fails you.

Another way to go would be to add something that can help guarantee Durant will be able to entrain unhindered. Any way you can prevent the enemy from taunting, such as being able to taunt first for example.
I think I'll try out normal Gyarados with a Lum Berry and see how it works. Thanks for the tip!

I've updated things through here, so as always, please let me know if you spot any errors or omissions. Just today, I noticed that I had Adamant Zoroark listed twice in singles, but I've finally caught that and consolidated the two entries.

To add a more substantive issue to this post, I've been musing about whether we "missed" anything in Subway play, in light of what we've learned in the XY and ORAS Maison. For example, while both Chansey and Gliscor got some use in the Subway, neither had anywhere near the level of success they've subsequently achieved in the Maison. Is this just a function of the Maison letting these Pokemon team with mega evolutions, coupled with the Maison's narrower threat list due to using mainly set 4 foes? Or did we just fail to identify how best to take advantage of their strengths? Could we go back to the Subway and put together a massive Gliscor streak? Are there other Pokemon that we used successfully this generation that may have been worthy of more Subway play?

For reference, our Subway leaderboard is here. I'm definitely interested in hearing people's thoughts about what we might have missed!
I got somewhere around 650-660 in the Subway on my only attempt with Moody Glalie a long time ago. Lost because I stopped looking at sets after battle 200 and assumed Darmanitan4 was the same set as 6th gen like pretty much all the other Subway set 4s. Basically Glalie did just around half with Frost Breath as its Sub broke and I figured that even if Darmanitan survived, didn't miss, and got a crit on Glalie the next turn I'd be able to finish it off with Durant. All that happened, plus Darmanitan had a Sitrus Berry to get it out of X-Scissor's KO range. I forget if I had no other attacking moves on Durant or if I used Rock Slide and missed on the last turn.

Other than that, the battles were all very easy. Infinite Sand Stream from a lead was kind of annoying and Frost Breath being weaker than it is this generation definitely had an effect on the last battle and probably some others, but no Infiltrator Chandelure/Unaware Quagsire plus the fact that the AI would use status moves on my Sub more than made up for it. Definitely just as capable (if not more so) of 2,000+ as it is in the Maison.

I bred a Sableye with zeroed-out defensive IVs because I wasn't sure how being autoleveled to 50 would change what the AI did; no clue if it actually made a difference because after a while I basically stopped using Flash with Sableye if I had any doubt about what Pokemon was leading against me. Otherwise weak attackers would take way too long and possibly use too many PP to KO Sableye.

I also remember some battle I had to win in a Struggle war with Glalie because the 3rd Pokemon was something like a Lapras or Walrein that had actual attacking moves plus Rest and I'd already wasted a lot of Frost Breaths due to being impatient against the lead and attacking before Special Attack was very high. So yeah, Moody Glalie definitely got missed as a set-up sweeper. I definitely remember suggesting it in the Subway thread, but I couldn't try it out myself because I was in college and didn't even have a 5th gen game at the time. Even with Durant in general, for quite a while into 6th gen people were just using an offensive spread with 2 of the 3 non-Entrainment moves being attacks that would never have to be used.

There are probably too many situations in which stally Pokemon would get overwhelmed by the stronger critical hits for them to make much of a difference.

Last edited:
I've been taking on the Maison and now I've managed to hit a streak of 500 wins in Super Doubles.

Video: UEQG-WWWW-WW4F-5ARF

Team:

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Fake Out

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 164 HP / 76 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

I've been taking on the Maison and now I've managed to hit a streak of 500 wins in Super Doubles.

Video: UEQG-WWWW-WW4F-5ARF

Team:
I've spent countless hours breeding a female HP: Ground Sylveon for battle maison (and I still don't have it).
I've been theoryming about a team relatively similar to yours (Kangaskhan/Secret/Sylveon/Secret).

I'm really interested in your reasoning regarding the EV spread on Sylveon.

I love your team btw, I wish you good fortune going 1,000+ with it!

I've spent countless hours breeding a female HP: Ground Sylveon for battle maison (and I still don't have it).
I've been theoryming about a team relatively similar to yours (Kangaskhan/Secret/Sylveon/Secret).

I'm really interested in your reasoning regarding the EV spread on Sylveon.

I love your team btw, I wish you good fortune going 1,000+ with it!
I got an untrained lvl2 hp ground sylveon u can have for free (the one in my trade thread) if u get bored with breeding..it is male though so im guessing the point is that u want female and thats y its taking u so long!! :/

Hi, I feel like I should give my two cents on this topic. Indeed, since I don't own a gen VI cartridge (I have no 3DS actually), I have to stick with the subway if I want to play in-game battle facilities. However, I frequently lurk on this thread in addition of the subway leaderboard to give me inspiration.

So, to answer your question(s), I actually tried Gliscor in a Singles team which I built as a "Gen V Kangliscune" : Cloyster / Gliscor / Suicune. For the record, Suicune was the same as Jumpman's ( icy wind variant), Cloyster was the same as Peterko's (Naughty nature with surf) and Gliscor was Jolly with near max speed (I felt speed was the superior choice over special bulk because moving first means you can sub before the opponent has a chance to crit). It worked... okay I guess. My best was a 407 streak which was ended by a Backpacker of all things (Set1 pokes) with Froslass1 (Hail / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Ominous Wind) getting two stats boosts in a row with Ominous wind after surviving +2 spear and then sweeping my team (the lead Forretress had conveniently set Stealth rock + spikes, making the OHKO on Suicune possible). Anyway, even some hax happened, it showcased this team's problems with fast special attackers ; All froslass sets are annoying because Suicune doesn't have Sub and Shadow ball crits/Sdef drops hurt, Starmie4 is an asshole with BoltBeam + King's rock, Gengar can poison/paralyze Cloyster and is not really Suicune's best friend, and Tornadus is dangerous as well thanks to Hurricane being a lovely move in the AI's hands (120BP + 30% confusion chance).

Now, if this was Gen VI and Mega Kangashkan was in Cloyster's place, I wouldn't have as much problems with all those special threats (well except maybe for Tornadus who is still a nuisance with focus blast), because Kangashkan can simply sucker punch most of these before they get a chance to move. My point is, it is kinda hard to make mons that are awesome in the Maison work as well in the subway, without access to the new mons they synergize so well with. Gliscor + Suicune were awesome together, and cloyster is still awesome as well, but the synergy was certainly not as good as with Mega Kanga in its place, given the sheer difference in length between my streak and Jumpman's (considering mine was the best of 5 attempts). Looking at the leaderboard for the battle maison, another successful streak using Gliscor is the current number 1, the awesome Mega Gyarados/ Gliscor / Aegislash team from The Dutch Plumberjack. This one would be even harder to "replicate" in the subway considering 2 of the 3 members are unavailable (MegaDos & Aegislash). The closest team that would be possible in the subway would be Gyarados / Gliscor / Ferrothorn, which is obviously much less appealing with the ice weakness (Ferrothorn doesn't really like switching on ice moves considering he hates being frozen) and regular Gyarados lacking in power compared to other dragon dancers in the subway.

So, by looking at all these successful teams and with my modest experience in the subway, I feel like something like Gliscor is as good as the pokemons it supports : the most successful "goodstuff" teams in the Maison were built around powerful sweepers that are not available in Gen V, and those sweepers also take a huge part in these insane streaks I see in the Maison and not in the subway. I haven't had the to try Eviolite Chansey in the subway yet, because it's kind of a pain to get a good Seismic Toss Chansey on a Gen V game (probably the reason why not many people used it in the subway days), but looking at successful Chansey teams in the maison I see the same "problem" : things like Mega Salamence and Aegislash that have such a good synergy with Chansey are not present in the Subway, and similar teams would be less reliable. So as far as goodstuff teams are concerned I feel like you have probably been "spoiled" by the lengthy streaks that are possible in the maison, and pokemons that took part in such streaks like Gliscor or Chansey would definetely good in the Subway, but the streaks won't be as massive without the rest of the "goodstuff" that is available in the Maison. Of course it all depends of your definition of "massive", because by looking at the Subway leaderboard someone could consider a streak of 500 massive after all. Now if you're looking to break the subway I think a Durant team has the best shot at pulling a "Maison-worthy" streak, considering it hasn't changed much between Gen V and Gen VI (although Drapion is certainly not as good without Knock off and Steel resisting Dark, but at least Dragonite and Glalie are viable I guess). Now, it would take at least as much of motivation/dedication as VaporeonIce and GG Unit to go for thousands of battles in a legacy facility with a Durant team. But I guess this dedication is another reason for the success in the Battle Maison compared to the Battle Subway, after all.

(Hoping this is understandable/readable. I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not the most prolific poster either, as you can see)

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, to answer your question(s), I actually tried Gliscor in a Singles team which I built as a "Gen V Kangliscune" : Cloyster / Gliscor / Suicune. For the record, Suicune was the same as Jumpman's ( icy wind variant), Cloyster was the same as Peterko's (Naughty nature with surf) and Gliscor was Jolly with near max speed (I felt speed was the superior choice over special bulk because moving first means you can sub before the opponent has a chance to crit). It worked... okay I guess. My best was a 407 streak which was ended by a Backpacker of all things (Set1 pokes) with Froslass1 (Hail / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Ominous Wind) getting two stats boosts in a row with Ominous wind after surviving +2 spear and then sweeping my team (the lead Forretress had conveniently set Stealth rock + spikes, making the OHKO on Suicune possible). Anyway, even some hax happened, it showcased this team's problems with fast special attackers ; All froslass sets are annoying because Suicune doesn't have Sub and Shadow ball crits/Sdef drops hurt, Starmie4 is an asshole with BoltBeam + King's rock, Gengar can poison/paralyze Cloyster and is not really Suicune's best friend, and Tornadus is dangerous as well thanks to Hurricane being a lovely move in the AI's hands (120BP + 30% confusion chance).
This points to a larger...er, point I have noticed about the Subway, looking back through that thread and what were pointed out as threats. It goes beyond, "the Subway had a larger threat list due to using a larger variety of sets"; I would argue that certain trainer classes were built (intentionally or inadvertently) to make certain sets more dangerous than they are on their own/actually are, due either to appearing on certain themed trainer classes (and thus having better synergy with their teammates), or appearing more frequently due to being in the roster pools of more trainer classes. As a result, the community may have overrated some sets' threat levels at the time, and these have been subsequently exposed as less threatening on their own merits.

In the above instance, how much of that was Froslass1 being a dangerous set on its own (after a couple of boosts), how much of that was Froslass1 being paired with a teammate that it would never be teamed with in the Maison (and having a couple of boosts), and how much of that was the inherent surprise of Set 1 trainers popping up so deep into a streak? Was it the set, or the trainer class and what it has access to? How much of these special attackers' threat level is tied to the trainer classes who tend to pile on said attackers in the Subway (other than Tornadus, who admittedly has a very narrow number of trainers it can be used by), and how much of that is said attackers actually being a pain to deal with (note that, of these, only Starmie4 has been regularly noted as a problem set in the Maison, at least in this thread).

While I have pointed this out earlier with Pinsir4, and I also feel this with regards to most of the Subway's Steel-types and Set 3s (due to fewer trainers specializing in them in the Maison), one of the biggest losers in this respect may have been:

#1 worst mother fucker in the Subway

Froslass "FU"
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31-31-31-31-31-31
EV spread: 0-0-0-255-0-255
Lv.50: 145-90-90-132-90-178
Moves:
~ Blizzard
~ Icy Wind
~ Shadow Ball
~ Destiny Bond

So, I had a break from Battle Subway for 3 days because it made me so pissed that I was overreacting after each loss...I was kind of lucky that my internet was down for a few hours because I wanted to post a ridiculous battle log back then but my anger faded away after a while... (it was about a 1% miss followed by a signal beam confusion + 2x hurt itself and finished by a showdown 1on1 drifblim CH shadowball vs darm to kill me)

I´m stupid and today I played again. I slapped a Cloyster (sash/smash) + Infernape (LO,FO,mach,OH) lead together, with Latios & Scizor as backup. It worked surprisingly well and I was thinking to myself, nice to have a team that is not weak to Ice (3 resists, 1 weak)...

#68 vs Psychic Boldbat: Chandelure, Golurk, Medicham, Froslass
1. Ape Overrheat Golurk, 75%, Cloyster Rock Blast, 5th hit CH, Chande fainted, Golurk Hammer Arm, Cloyster 38/126.
- foe Medicham
2. Cloy out, switch in Scizor, Ape Overheat, Golurk fainted, Medicham Psycho Cut, Ape fainted.
- me Latios, foe Froslass
3. Scizor Bullet Punch, Lass Focus Sash, Lass Blizzard, Latios at 52/156, Latios frozen solid (obviously targeting Lass), Medicham HJK, Scizor fainted.
- me Cloy
4. Latios frozen solid, Lass Blizzard, Latios fainted, Cloy 12/126, Medicham HJK, Cloy fainted.
0-2

Here, I´m countered like crazy...I mean I can´t Shell Smash nor Fake Out, also can´t OH Chande because of potential Flash Fire and Rock Blast doesn´t OHKO chande without a CH (the 5th hit CHing happened in the last encounter, as well)...Chande would Heat Wave and Golurk attacked Cloy, too...

"In hindsight", adamant LO medicham FO does 24-29 to Cloyster and it was at 38, so the switch turn 2 was stupid as it does 125-150 damage to Medicham with Icicle Spear (sure OHKO after LO)...it would´ve been 3-1...I suck

doesn´t change the fact that I still hate Froslass 4 with a passion, because:
- can´t be OHKO´d by normal means thanks to Focus Sash
- lol 178 speed, ties with Latios
- Blizzard always hits you
- Blizzard often freezes you
- Blizzard often CHs you
- it will avoid up to 3 attacks thanks to Snow Cloak
- it won´t have to avoid more because you´re a goner by the time you miss 3 times no matter what team you use
- hi I will Destiny Bond on the turn I avoid your attack and be "safe" from Bullet Punch next turn and free to freeze you...

This thing by itself has cost me so many streaks, way too many...

I´m done with the Subway...[size=-2]at least for a couple of days[/size]

Having 0 Spooky Manor visits both yesterday and today doesn´t help my cause, either, as I would like to use some of the Pokémon in there...it´ll take like 3 months for me to get them
Without the benefit of having Ice Workers around (which have more concentrated rosters and have a higher probability of having Abomasnow appear), being part of the roster pools of Maison Hail specialists (who seem to pop up less frequently for whatever reason), and being part of rosters where it doesn't sync with its teammates as well (Psychics/Hex Manaics, which feature some speedy attackers but tend to lean more toward bulky 'mons, and goodstuffs trainers where it could team with any number of incompatible partners) makes this not-so-much-the-worst now. With that said...

have you ever tried using that set? i think you could theroeticly learn a thing or two using it a few times, see how the AI handles it due to it murders all human players, who nos it could be amazing vs the AI haaaaa (seriously doubt it mind). I think that if you tried using it and learnt its weaknesses/strengths through using it you could learn a thing or two.
keep your friends close but your enermies even closer kinda thing;)
I have taken this philosophy to heart and am always trying to incorporate such sets into my teams, as a way to try and judge the overall, objective threat level of an individual set. The Subway may have been a very skewed way of making such assessments, looking back...fortunately, the Maison system makes it much easier to isolate individual sets and make such assessments "in a vacuum". (Case in point, Wailord4 remains roughly as threatening now as it did back then, which is "merely annoying, but a bitch to actually take down without Grass Knot").

Of course, the Maison giving its roster access to Hidden Abilities may have changed the dynamics to enough of a degree that that last point may be rendered moot.

EDIT: Somewhat relevant side note, I enjoyed peter's rant sufficiently enough that I have created a Cursed Body Replica Froslass4 in tribute. Now, I can assess how dangerous it still is by trying to build my own teams around her:
- does she still fit in Hail teams about the same, without the benefit of Snow Cloak? Do these have to be more nuanced (as in standard competitive Hail teams, or MonoIce teams), or can I still use Maison Hail teams and make her work?
- How much does having Cursed Body change things up for her in non-Hail teams? It obviously gives her a little luck-based boost, but can she work at all outside of the snow in a Maison team, or is she just filler/dead weight?
- How much does the addition of Triples/Rotations formats, as well as the subtraction of the Wi-Fi train, change her threat level, both as a Maison opponent and a potential team member?

Last edited:
I've only used Cursed Body with Jellicent in a bulky spread, and while it's an excellent ability I think bulk is the key to getting mileage out of it.

On the other hand, without Hail being reliably set it's the undeniably better ability, since presumably the move(s) being disabled will also benefit her teammates. However, it may not seem like it kicks in frequently enough since Froslass is still bodied by neutral hits. It can activate on death, so there's that.

Smuckem

RE: The Greninja3 discussion from pg.186

After a lot of time searching for (and forgetting about) this, I FINALLY have a post-Dana Greninja3 encounter to share:

Battle #245, vs. Lalani (Greninja3/Delphox2/Samurott3/Sceptile2/Feraligatr1/Infernape2)--a whole lot of Water priority is rendered a whole lot of useless thanks to Totenclone. Also, as the cool kids at the Silly Things You've Seen in Other Metagames thread like to say, Delphox2 ever.
XDUW-WWWW-WW4F-FW3X

Last edited:
In the above instance, how much of that was Froslass1 being a dangerous set on its own (after a couple of boosts), how much of that was Froslass1 being paired with a teammate that it would never be teamed with in the Maison (and having a couple of boosts), and how much of that was the inherent surprise of Set 1 trainers popping up so deep into a streak? Was it the set, or the trainer class and what it has access to? How much of these special attackers' threat level is tied to the trainer classes who tend to pile on said attackers in the Subway (other than Tornadus, who admittedly has a very narrow number of trainers it can be used by), and how much of that is said attackers actually being a pain to deal with (note that, of these, only Starmie4 has been regularly noted as a problem set in the Maison, at least in this thread).
Froslass1 is "usually" not dangerous on its own (at least for the team referenced here) because its moves are weak without boosts, and it can easily pp-stalled either by switch-stalling between Suicune and Gliscor, or simply by using icy wind with Suicune so that Gliscor can do the "pp stall by spamming protect/sub" routine. However, in this particular case, the combination of entry hazards + boosts made both options impossible (since Froslass' speed was also boosted, icy wind was moot here), so I'd say it was definitely the combination of the right teammate and the right combination of hax.

As for the Set 1 trainer, there was no "surprise" as far as I'm concerned because in the Subway you can expect all sets anywhere in the streak (although Set4 are admittedly the most common, followed by Set3 pokes). The aforementioned trainer class (Backpacker) is definitely common enough to take notice that they carry "unusual" sets. However, the surprise here was these unusual sets actually posed a problem, because Set1 pokes are usually a joke honestly. When it comes to trainer classes, the most threatening are obviously the ones who can carry multiple sets of the same pokemon, which is especially problematic when these sets require different responses. To give another example with my team, Abomasnow3 is a huge threat due the combination of grass/ice coverage for Gliscor/Suicune and priority ice shard to kill a 1HP Cloyster, and thus requires attacking immediatly, but Abomasnow4 on the other hand is set-up bait for Suicune ; unfortunately the only way to tell them apart when facing an Ice Worker is to eat a wood hammer with Suicune (both sets will use Focus blast + ice shard on Cloyster). It doesn't help that pokemons on the roster of an Ice Worker are likely to take advantage of the hail, unlike Gliscor / Suicune who lose their recovery with the infinite hail.

So yeah, the trainer class definitely matters in the Subway. Another noteworthy trainer class which always induces panic on sight is the Roughneck, which only use pokemons carrying OHKO moves ; while substitute obviously helps against them, there is nothing that can be done about them leading with a fast OHKO user and getting a 1st turn hit (Pinsir4 that you mentioned is a good example, although Cryogonal3 and Rapidash3 are also clear offenders). I don't know how much trainer class matters in the Maison, but there are definitely trainers you do not want to see too often in the Subway.

I got an untrained lvl2 hp ground sylveon u can have for free (the one in my trade thread) if u get bored with breeding..it is male though so im guessing the point is that u want female and thats y its taking u so long!! :/
Thank you kindly for the offer but I finally managed to breed it myself using time machine breeding method:

Sylveon ♀

Nature: Modest | Ability: Pixilate
IVs: 31/xx/31/30/30/31

Moves: Detect - Wish - Yawn - Fake Tears
OT: Eppie | ID: 28182 | Region: Kalos

Well, I've finally done it. Mum - quick, get the camera!

Posting an ongoing 1,000-win streak in Super Singles.

Battle No. 1,000: HBUG-WWWW-WW4F-PH8S ("Greninja putting in the finest")

I've been using the same exact team as detailed here.
It was honestly such a relief to achieve this milestone, especially before SM's release. There were a few stumbles along the way, even in the 100-200's, but I'm glad I was able to persevere. Huge thanks again to the creator turskain, this is a very cool team!

I honestly can't think of much to elaborate on, but I will say this: the Maison can be harsh and cruel, so only play when you feel like it. This may sound trivial, but I believe many of my fails were a direct cause of being in a bad mood at the time (impatience, not bothering to use Showdown's calculator, misjudgement, forgetting about Trainer themes etc).

Obviously I'll continue the streak until I lose, so I'll keep you guys updated. For now, I'll leave some interesting/unfortunate/entertaining Battle Videos here. Happy Maisoning everyone!

By the way, I hope any of you won't be offended by the nicknames of my Pokemon. My cousins (who also play) and I have a habit of coming up with immature nicknames, often involving profanities of some sort. It's just an in-joke thing.

DGZW-WWWW-WW4F-PEBA ("Dual Lum")
L92G-WWWW-WW4F-PESX ("Perfect")
HQCW-WWWW-WW4F-PFBY ("OutPassed")
UEZW-WWWW-WW4F-PFP9 ("Complete Bull-$@*#")
PRXG-WWWW-WW4F-PGFF ("Exploud forgot his glasses")
KXXW-WWWW-WW4F-PGUQ ("Perfect2")

Last edited:

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
Nice going, Josh C. Great battle videos as well, I laughed a little at the ridiculous Tauros vid.

I've been working on a Sharpedo streak and the genIV Battle Factory gold print. Write-ups are a hassle to get done, but hopefully I'll have something to post soon.

Nice going, Josh C. Great battle videos as well, I laughed a little at the ridiculous Tauros vid.

I've been working on a Sharpedo streak and the genIV Battle Factory gold print. Write-ups are a hassle to get done, but hopefully I'll have something to post soon.
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Yeah, that was probably the single time where I didn't want the crit.

Smuckem

Excellent work, Josh: with this win, you've bypassed everyone who merely had good-to-great Singles streaks and are now nipping at the heels of the true Singles streaks savants (whom I've dubbed "The Old Hunters"). I don't think I can ever get tired of watching people get high streaks with shiny Dragonite.
-------------------------------------------------------
I have begun to lose respect for Toxicroak4 as a threat: it has taken the mantle of the most easily manipulated set out there, at least among the Set 4s. Between Singles and Triples, I don't think I've ever seen it behave differently from what I expect, given the nature of my current teams in those formats.

Wonder if it's as easily predicted in the other formats...

Last edited:
Cheers Smuckem! Though I was in that group not too long ago..being an avid Shiny hunter, I realized battling with inferior, regular-coloured Pokemon was unacceptable. I'm certainly no stranger to the Masuda Method.

Toxicroak4 is slightly irritating for my team if it Taunts first, since I can't setup with Dragonite. But I'd just switch-stall until it finally uses Gunk Shot so I can get to +1, then Roost off the damage. Shiftry4 on the other hand is laughable, as I can drain all of its Sucker Punch PP while reaching +6 and remain at full health!

so, it looks like Sun and Moon will introduce a mechanic where you can raise your Pokémon's IVs after they reach level 100. Not EVs, IVs.

It looks like the "entry barrier" (so to speak) for the Battle [facilities] is about to get one hell of a lot lower.

so, it looks like Sun and Moon will introduce a mechanic where you can raise your Pokémon's IVs after they reach level 100. Not EVs, IVs.

It looks like the "entry barrier" (so to speak) for the Battle [facilities] is about to get one hell of a lot lower.
I hope
Bottle Caps
can be bought via Battle Points.
Either way, I hope for Nintendo's sake they will start developing Action Replays because after this info I take it many will purchase one..

I don't like any IV raising mechanic, other than RNG or hardcore breeding by the way..

Eh, if it's anything like the feathers or ability capsules, bottle caps will not be easy to come by, at least not from the getgo.

I can bank my breeding stuff to be able to resume that (which for all I know will still be faster than farming bottle caps) but what I'd really like is a way to transfer my many many hold items from OR to S/M. Thousands of BP were spent on various things and while I'll inevitably regain the BP anyway, I'd rather not be limited in the pokes I can use based on what little I've got on hand. But we'll see how they handle that.

Eh, if it's anything like the feathers or ability capsules, bottle caps will not be easy to come by, at least not from the getgo.

I can bank my breeding stuff to be able to resume that (which for all I know will still be faster than farming bottle caps) but what I'd really like is a way to transfer my many many hold items from OR to S/M. Thousands of BP were spent on various things and while I'll inevitably regain the BP anyway, I'd rather not be limited in the pokes I can use based on what little I've got on hand. But we'll see how they handle that.
even if they're really hard to farm, it'll probably still be a lot more efficient to grind those for legendary pokes, than to have to reset over and over and over and over....

Perhaps. It took a few hours of resetting to get a 31/xx/29/31/26/31 Mewtwo in X. If it takes at least that long just to get, say, twenty bottle caps, it'll probably still entice people to SR for legends just to get something similar, to avoid having to waste that much time making up the difference. I do hope they maintain the "three perfect IVs" mechanic, that was a huge help and was the only reason I ever caught legends of the quality I did.

Well, I've finally done it. Mum - quick, get the camera!

Posting an ongoing 1,000-win streak in Super Singles.

Battle No. 1,000: HBUG-WWWW-WW4F-PH8S ("Greninja putting in the finest")

I've been using the same exact team as detailed here.
It was honestly such a relief to achieve this milestone, especially before SM's release. There were a few stumbles along the way, even in the 100-200's, but I'm glad I was able to persevere. Huge thanks again to the creator turskain, this is a very cool team!

I honestly can't think of much to elaborate on, but I will say this: the Maison can be harsh and cruel, so only play when you feel like it. This may sound trivial, but I believe many of my fails were a direct cause of being in a bad mood at the time (impatience, not bothering to use Showdown's calculator, misjudgement, forgetting about Trainer themes etc).

Obviously I'll continue the streak until I lose, so I'll keep you guys updated. For now, I'll leave some interesting/unfortunate/entertaining Battle Videos here. Happy Maisoning everyone!

By the way, I hope any of you won't be offended by the nicknames of my Pokemon. My cousins (who also play) and I have a habit of coming up with immature nicknames, often involving profanities of some sort. It's just an in-joke thing.

DGZW-WWWW-WW4F-PEBA ("Dual Lum")
L92G-WWWW-WW4F-PESX ("Perfect")
HQCW-WWWW-WW4F-PFBY ("OutPassed")
UEZW-WWWW-WW4F-PFP9 ("Complete Bull-$@*#")
PRXG-WWWW-WW4F-PGFF ("Exploud forgot his glasses")
KXXW-WWWW-WW4F-PGUQ ("Perfect2")
Congrats man!
That is honestly quite the accomplishment.
I looked at the most of the vids. It's remarkable how bulky porygon2 is even without eviolite.
As for the crit on Tauros, sorry I laughed! That shit sucks to play through however.
(Anger point is such a ridiculous and luck based ability.)

I'm doing a streak right now with lum Garchomp, mega Scizor and specs greninja and I'm sitting at 120 wins currently. I think I'm going to copy your Greninja spread, mine's just max spe and spa. Is underspeeding stuff like Alakazam4 really worth it though?
I guess it is based on your success but I'd like to hear your input.
Thanks!

Edit- Ah, of course you have Aegislash with priority to dismantle Alakazam. The teammates' role is always important. At the same time I'm always concerned about those lastmon 1v1 situations though.

I just lost the streak at 134 wins by the way. Specs Latias that scored a Draco meteor crit on Scizor on the switch and then trick room cresselia of all things hit surprisingly hard, with Scizor not alive to counter it. I might post about it later, since it's my second longest streak and all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)