Battle Maison Discussion & Records

The other day a Gallade4 out-sped my Mega Khang however I wasn't paying attention and thought nothing of it. Again just my Mega Khang got out-sped by a Gallade4 again.

Trainer: Black Belt Sebastian
Game: Alpha Sapphire

Mega Khang @ 152 Speed
Opps Gallade @ 145 Speed [According to the resources in OP.]

Battle starts.
Opp sends out Gallade.
I start with Khang.
Khang Mega-Evolves.
Gallade uses Close Combat.

Or am I being a dumba$$ and missing something?

Last edited:
The other day a Gallade4 out-sped my Mega Khang however I wasn't paying attention and thought nothing of it. Again just my Mega Khang got out-sped by a Gallade4 again.

Trainer: Black Belt Sebastian
Game: Alpha Sapphire

Mega Khang @ 152 Speed
Opps Gallade @ 145 Speed [According to the resources in OP.]

Battle starts.
Opp sends out Gallade.
I start with Khang.
Khang Mega-Evolves.
Gallade uses Close Combat.

Or am I being a dumba$$ and missing something?
You're missing that you keep your base speed on the turn that you mega evolve. That's why, in close cases like that, you should definitely use fake out. (If you can't, switch.) Next turn you'll outspeed him because you'll have your higher mega speed though.

I've decided to play Battle Maison Super Singles to kill some time while sitting on trains and try to finally get that 200 win streak (and maybe more).
Since I don't want to use any of the overused Maison Megas/cores, I'm currently trying to come up with something more original.
I've tried a Mega Gengar, but that thing is too fragile and has no way to boost and sweep. It's just not good against the AI. Next.
Well, the second Mega I've tried to make work is Altaria and let me tell you... it is fun and has some neat tricks to keep the AI guessing since the MEvo changes it's typing and therefore it's resistances and immunities.
BUT without a doubt the most disgusting thing that I've found to mess with the AI is Torment Heatran.
I actually really like my current Torment Heatran + Dragon Dance Mega Altaria core, but have not found that perfect third Pokémon yet.
I've tried Cresselia variants and it was okay. I've tried Suicune and almost got destroyed by Starmie and OHKO spam Walrein. Almost... good that Heatran refuses to die and the AI has no idea how to deal with it.
Watch this: EABG-WWWW-WW4G-7ZMD (78th and for the moment last battle. Streak is still going.)

Any ideas what would be a good fit for Heatran + Altaria?

Last edited:
Congrats man!
That is honestly quite the accomplishment.
I looked at the most of the vids. It's remarkable how bulky porygon2 is even without eviolite.
As for the crit on Tauros, sorry I laughed! That shit sucks to play through however.
(Anger point is such a ridiculous and luck based ability.)

I'm doing a streak right now with lum Garchomp, mega Scizor and specs greninja and I'm sitting at 120 wins currently. I think I'm going to copy your Greninja spread, mine's just max spe and spa. Is underspeeding stuff like Alakazam4 really worth it though?
I guess it is based on your success but I'd like to hear your input.
Thanks!

Edit- Ah, of course you have Aegislash with priority to dismantle Alakazam. The teammates' role is always important. At the same time I'm always concerned about those lastmon 1v1 situations though.

I just lost the streak at 134 wins by the way. Specs Latias that scored a Draco meteor crit on Scizor on the switch and then trick room cresselia of all things hit surprisingly hard, with Scizor not alive to counter it. I might post about it later, since it's my second longest streak and all.
There are indeed some bulky & annoying threats in the Maison, including that Porygon2. However, even Ferrothorn4 falls to +6 Outrage..!
Haha, it's ok, I think I laughed too at the time, though I couldn't quite believe my eyes.

Feel free to use the same spread, as you'd probably know it has more bulk, has similar power of a LO variant but doesn't take recoil. This lets it take on would-be threats (Weavile/Vaporeon4 for instance) and come out on top most of the time. The only things it doesn't outspeed compared to max-speed Timid are Alakazam, Dugtrio, Sceptile, Hawlucha & Zebstrika, all of which are dealt with by Aegislash. It's a godsend being able to PP-stall effectively and get Lefties back every turn, and there's so many opportunities to setup freely.
Looking at it now, though, you might be better served by the standard Life Orb set; your team doesn't really appreciate taking Focus Miss, you've got an Electric-immunity which is good, but Dugtrio & Hawlucha4 could be annoying otherwise. I've been crit-flinched by Sky Attack a few times... also keep a potential Unburden in mind after it uses the Power Herb. Same with Sceptile1/3, but you should be able to deal with them.
Hmm, what kind of build is your Mega Scizor, speedy SD, bulky SD/Roost etc?

You're missing that you keep your base speed on the turn that you mega evolve. That's why, in close cases like that, you should definitely use fake out. (If you can't, switch.) Next turn you'll outspeed him because you'll have your higher mega speed though.
Only Sucker Punch Kangaskhan should attempt this, mind you, because if Gallade is Steadfast, you'll still fuck yourself six ways from Sunday by flinching it. The speed boost Gallade receives will outspeed her mega form.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've tried Cresselia variants and it was okay. I've tried Suicune and almost got destroyed by Starmie and OHKO spam Walrein. Almost... good that Heatran refuses to die and the AI has no idea how to deal with it.
Watch this: EABG-WWWW-WW4G-7ZMD (78th and for the moment last battle. Streak is still going.)

Virizion could have handled both of those handily (with Sacred Sword for Walrein4, could tank the Starmie4 Psychic), you have additional Steel-type coverage, an addtional lure for Poison-type attacks for Heatran to switch into, and a way to beat the Ground-types that threaten Heatran. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit of a thought question:
It's Battle #408 of my current Triples streak. I'm facing Black Belt Sebastian, and the leads line up something like this:

vs.

Mienshao4 switched out immediately, which confused me:
- It's not like she couldn't hit Aron--typically, it's Fake Out or HJK on the little guy
- If she was looking to avoid the potential Explosion from the ally Carbink4, she could have just used Wide Guard
- it's not like anyone within range had a Ground attack to target her with (she switched out to Aerodactyl4)--Megarupt has Earth Power, but obviously that's out of reach

So, what was the AI's logic in switching here? The only thing I can come up with is that the AI decided the smart thing to do was to go to Aerodactyl4 and have it take the ensuing, resisted Carbink4 Explosion. Outside of that, I'm struggling.

Last edited:
I've decided to play Battle Maison Super Singles to kill some time while sitting on trains and try to finally get that 200 win streak (and maybe more).
Since I don't want to use any of the overused Maison Megas/cores, I'm currently trying to come up with something more original.
I've tried a Mega Gengar, but that thing is too fragile and has no way to boost and sweep. It's just not good against the AI. Next.
Well, the second Mega I've tried to make work is Altaria and let me tell you... it is fun and has some neat tricks to keep the AI guessing since the MEvo changes it's typing and therefore it's resistances and immunities.
BUT without a doubt the most disgusting thing that I've found to mess with the AI is Torment Heatran.
I actually really like my current Torment Heatran + Dragon Dance Mega Altaria core, but have not found that perfect third Pokémon yet.

I've tried playing around with an M-Altaria team here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-122#post-6010366

The Problem I find with DD M-Altaria in the Maison is that you have to choose between coverage or set up/ status protection with the choice between Sub or a EQ/Dragon Claw attacking move. Heatran becomes your number 1 problem with a mono-Fairy attack, as well as Steel and Poison pokemon.

In that aspect, i recommend Gastrodon. It covers Altaria's Poison and Steel weaknesses, is an Ice-Resist that isn't weak to Water, can counter Heatran, blocks Paralysis and Freeze(Scald) and isn't too worried by burn. Plus you have 2 4x grass resists as switch ins.

In the two examples you brought up. Only Psychic would have done anything to Gastrodon. Walrein is a bit tricker, but you can stick Sub on Altaria to wait it out or Gastrodon can carry Clear Smog if you don't want to worry about Lax incense hax

Last edited:
Virizion could have handled both of those handily (with Sacred Sword for Walrein4, could tank the Starmie4 Psychic), you have additional Steel-type coverage, an addtional lure for Poison-type attacks for Heatran to switch into, and a way to beat the Ground-types that threaten Heatran. Just a thought.
I've tried playing around with an M-Altaria team here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-122#post-6010366

The Problem I find with DD M-Altaria in the Maison is that you have to choose between coverage or set up/ status protection with the choice between Sub or a EQ/Dragon Claw attacking move. Heatran becomes your number 1 problem with a mono-Fairy attack, as well as Steel and Poison pokemon.

In that aspect, i recommend Gastrodon. It covers Altaria's Poison and Steel weaknesses, is an Ice-Resist that isn't weak to Water, can counter Heatran, blocks Paralysis and Freeze(Scald) and isn't too worried by burn. Plus you have 2 4x grass resists as switch ins.

In the two examples you brought up. Only Psychic would have done anything to Gastrodon. Walrein is a bit tricker, but you can stick Sub on Altaria to wait it out or Gastrodon can carry Clear Smog if you don't want to worry about Lax incense hax
I'll try your suggestions and report back. The streak is currently at 175 wins with a Heatran + Mega Altaria + Cresselia team.

Last edited:
So I came up with a team and was wondering what yall think of it. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hoping it finally takes me to 200.

Pokemon 1: Gyarados | Item: Gyaradosite
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Intimidate / Mold Breaker
IVs: 31/31/31/XX/31/31 | EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves: Dragon Dance - Substitute - Waterfall - Crunch

Pokemon 2: Ferrethorn | Item: Rocky Helmet
Nature: Relaxed | Ability: Iron Barbs
IVs: 31/31/31/XX/31/0 | EVs: 252 HP / 88 DeF / 168 SpD
Moves: Gyro Ball - Protect - Power Whip - Leech Seed

Pokemon 3: Dragonite | Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Multiscale
IVs: 31/31/31/XX/31/31 | EVs: 252HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Moves: Roost - Dragon Claw - Extremespeed - Fire Punch
I've gone back and forth on using leftovers for Ferrothorn or Dragonite, and settled on Rocky Helmet and Lum Berry. I figure Leech Seed / Protect should work for Ferrothorn, and Dragonite will need to be Roost often to maintain Multiscale. Ive also tossed around the idea of using an offensive DD Dragonite, but I want to see if i can make a bulky Dragonite work first. Any feedback and criticism is welcome.

Well, considering the number one Singles Streak is a M-Gyarados one, this certainly can work. But i do advise you to take a look at his warstories and his experience, starting from here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-165#post-6481019

Basically, i think your other two pokemon do not do a good enough job of covering up for your M-gyarados weaknesses.

Type issues: Gyara is 4x weak to Electric, yet your best switch in is Ferrothorn. Dragonite can't come in either as it would be weakened so hard by the fast Electrics before it could fire off an Earthquake. Worse, you can't do much if say a CB Tyrantrum comes in to wreck your day too.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
^ in all fairness, Ferrothorn beats Tyrantrum pretty handily with Intimidate taken into account (Gyro Ball is a guaranteed 2HKO even with no investment whereas -1 Head Smash is like a 4HKO with his spread), if you're looking for an actual counter to that thing Ferrothorn is probably the best you're gonna get after Aegislash / Garchomp as far as Maison-viable Pokemon go. And the typing synergy with Gyarados is legit sweet.

So I came up with a team and was wondering what yall think of it. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hoping it finally takes me to 200.

Pokemon 1: Gyarados | Item: Gyaradosite
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Intimidate / Mold Breaker
IVs: 31/31/31/XX/31/31 | EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves: Dragon Dance - Substitute - Waterfall - Crunch

Pokemon 2: Ferrethorn | Item: Rocky Helmet
Nature: Relaxed | Ability: Iron Barbs
IVs: 31/31/31/XX/31/0 | EVs: 252 HP / 88 DeF / 168 SpD
Moves: Gyro Ball - Protect - Power Whip - Leech Seed

Pokemon 3: Dragonite | Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Multiscale
IVs: 31/31/31/XX/31/31 | EVs: 252HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Moves: Roost - Dragon Claw - Extremespeed - Fire Punch

I've gone back and forth on using leftovers for Ferrothorn or Dragonite, and settled on Rocky Helmet and Lum Berry. I figure Leech Seed / Protect should work for Ferrothorn, and Dragonite will need to be Roost often to maintain Multiscale. Ive also tossed around the idea of using an offensive DD Dragonite, but I want to see if i can make a bulky Dragonite work first. Any feedback and criticism is welcome.
Gyarados + Ferrothorn works typing synergy wise (as seen by Carl's 354 streak with Gyara / Ferro / Gliscor), but on the other hand Gyarados + Dragonite doesn't seem too good because they have no defensive or offensive synergy to speak of (especially Rock is big with how easily Ferrothorn is gonna get worn down), and Dragonite also does little to cover Gyarados + Ferrothorn's weaknesses and some more specific Pokemon that the combo is weak to, like Togekiss, Slurpuff, and Barbaracle.

Take what I'm saying with several grains of salt because I haven't played singles in like five months, but overall I get the feeling that this team lacks offensive presence / power on the backups and will be too easily overwhelmed. If the lead is unfavorable for Gyarados, this team won't sweep, and while Dragonite / Ferrothorn can probably defeat one of the types you want them to without much trouble, they're 100% gonna get worn down in the process because they're slow + not too powerful, meaning the opponent will likely break through your team if they bring multiple foes you rely on Dragonite or Ferrothorn to handle. In theory, that seems like bulky Dragonite's main problem, how it has trouble killing foes in a format where the opponent doesn't switch, which is especially bad if the foe can set up on it. Looking at the leaderboard, pretty much every goodstuff team in the top 10 runs multiple setup Pokemon, the lone exception being my Greninja / Scizor / Gliscor (of which Greninja generally is not gonna get worn down because it's not supposed to take any hits in the first place and Gliscor is, well, Gliscor and kind of counts as a setup Pokemon anyway), so that kind of suggests already that the lack of sheer potential power is gonna be an issue.

If you're open to changing your Pokemon, a suggestion might be swapping out Dragonite for Garchomp to better synergise with Gyarados. Setwise, I like SubSD, but since that leaves you boned even harder by Togekiss, I'd rather go with Iron Head over Sub. For Gyarados, it might be an option use the same spread I did (84 HP / 212 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 172 Spe), which is tailormade to always defeat Garchomp4 (though i don't want to figure out all scenarios vs Ferrothorn right now, it might be less bad in practice to face than I feel it is right now). And on Ferrothorn, Protect's intended purposes seem too nonspecific and situational to me--how about running Thunder Wave instead to slow down Pokemon like Latios?

In all fairness, aside from Electric / Rock, Garchomp still isn't super at patching up the holes in Gyarados + Ferrothorn (e.g. Noivern, Togekiss), but I don't want to just recommend Gliscor (which Gyarados + Ferrothorn really really wants) and it should still work reasonably well :/

Hi all, continuing my trophy quest in ORAS - my recent Super Triples Streak came to an end after shocking even myself in getting through more than 50 battles in my first attempt at a new battle type. This team was designed a little more robustly than my Doubles team, which combined favourites and objectively decent Pokemon and this team was no different. Very proud of how they went and further thrilled to earn a second spot on a records list xD. Triples was interesting for me, discovering them in Gen 5 like most others, I never really took to Triple Battles as I found the layout in Gen 5 confusing and visually cramped. Gen 6 resolved that problem with 3D sprites, but I still had no idea how to fight in a Triple battle - I read and researched and like most things in Pokemon, ultimately decided the best way to learn was through a 'Baptism of Fire' sort of approach and it was best to just force experience onto myself. Picking it up and being comfortable with the format by around Battle 30 was a fantastic feeling and I feel like this Battle Maison experience has opened up a whole new format for me in Pokemon both casually and competitively. My streak ended at 148 consecutive wins (frustratingly short of 150, but what'ya gonna do), here's the Team:

Super Triples Team

Bastiodon (m) Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
Moveset: Rock Tomb, Protect, Wide Guard, Toxic.

Details: Good lord, talk about reliability. I've always liked Bastiodon - mainly from its design, but also for the sheer arrogance of its details. A Rock/Steel type, overwhelmingly a horrid combination defensively with insane defenses, Sturdy and a startling ability to take hits and continue to annoy the other side. Bastiodon was literally the bulk of the support on this team without which the entire battle strategy would surely have failed. Being a fossil Pokemon, Bastiodon was and is notoriously difficult to breed and getting an Egg Move like Wide Guard onto it involved a sick, grueling trial of an Alomomola sleeping with a mudkip before passing it on to my Shieldon. Regardless, any half decent Breeder knows the time spent will be worth it and it surely paid off here. Bastiodon was a tank. The front line of my Super Triples Team would go: Bastiodon (Left), Mega-Gardevoir (Centre) and Gyarados (Right). The AI seem to have a propensity for hitting bulky Pokemon, they must be programmed to start wearing them down as soon as possible to avoid later problems, Bastiodon used that to his advantage beautifully. Wide Guard provided not only invaluable protection in Triples, it protected Gardevoir from crippling physical attacks and at times stumped the other side completely. Earthquakes became useless, Gyarados or Garchomp could spam Earthquake freely with my team protected and Bastiodon himself essentially became immune from an Earthquake death. Rock Tom may seem an odd choice, but it was also incredibly fun to use. The idea was to use Rock Tomb's speed lowering guarantee to (a) Cripple White Herb users, and (b) Make sure any ultra fast opponents would be slower than Mega-Gardevoir by the time she used Hyper Voice. It worked for ages and this strategy never failed even in the final battle. Toxic and Protect are self explanatory, but I would take this time to note that yes, it is better to be offensive than defensive in the Battle Maison - but Bastiodon was too fun and is one of my favourites, I wasn't leaving him out and he has my thanks for easily keeping up with the likes of Garchomp and Scizor. An excellent Triples Pokemon.

Mega-Gardevoir (f) Gardevoirite
Nature: Timid
Ability: Trace (Before Mega Evolution), Pixilate (After Mega-Evolution)
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
Moveset: Psyshock, Protect, Encore/Thunder Wave, Hyper Voice.

Details: Gardevoir has been and remains my favourite Pokemon period. When she was given a Mega Evolution and it wasn't completely silly and instead was a beautiful enhancement of what she already was, I was overjoyed. Her new Fairy typing, Hyper Voice and her Special Attack are an insane combination that can rarely be lightly taken by any opponent. Hyper Voice in Triples is self explanatory. Usually I would Protect first turn with Gardevoir while Bastiodon would get to work alongside Gyarados. The only reason I wouldn't instantly mega evolve was if Trace picked up a useful ability, such as Lightning Rod or Water Absorb - but this was rarely the case. Encore flipped with Thunder Wave various times throughout the streak, mainly because Encore was very limited in usage and there was rarely a need for it, Thunder Wave was more useful as a final move before Mega Gardevoir fainted, but I know see in Hindsight another attack like Thunder Bolt may have been equally useful. Psyshock was there for hitting specially defensive walls and poison types. Beautifully designed and beautifully executed, my Gardevoir proved herself again and again, every now and then netting a triple kill and instantly crippling the other side and doing so with a fantastical flick of her dress and a splash in the blood of her enemies. Truly, wonderful.

Gyarados (m) Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
Moveset: Waterfall, Protect, Dragon Dance, Earthquake

Details: Gyarados is a classic. Here, the intimidate drop provided additional bulk not only to himself, but also for Gardevoir who always appreciated it. A typical first turn would simply involve a Dragon Dance either while the opponent focused on a protected Gardevoir or wasted away an electrical attack on the Focus Sash. After a Dragon Dance, removing the electric threat became key, which Bastiodon and Gardevoir would do, while a Dragon Danced Gyarados would proceed to decimate the enemy. Funnily enough, the battles where Gyarados succeeded the most were against Veterans whose cheap legendaries rarely carried electric moves and who tended to flat out ignore Gyarados - allowing him to sweep slowly but surely through their ranks. A truly sturdy and reliable Pokemon, while often the first to faint - he's almost always drag at least 2 opponents down with him.

Scizor (m) Sitrus Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Speed.
Moveset: Bug Bite, Protect, Sword Dance, Bullet Punch.

Details: Scizor is an objectively amazing Pokemon. It's typing, stats and ability make it a force to be reckoned with. It hits hard enough by itself with Technician and its legendary attack stat, but after a Sword Dance there's not much that can confidently take a hit from either Bug Bite or more prominently, Bullet Punch. Due to the flurry of resistances, it would often be the case that Scizor would get off a Swords Dance while the enemy wasted turns on Bastiodon. As a result, many bulky Pokemon and legendaries fell to this beast, and he has my thanks. Removing Fire types was generally the priority mid-match, but the sitrus berry was far more useful than I had originally expected, preventing many guaranteed 2HKO or 3HKO's and allowing Scizor to finish sweeping through them. Bullet Punch cannot be praised enough this gen. The abundance of bulky Pokemon and Fairy types meant it often proved essential. In the final battle against a pitiful Sub-Leech Venusaur, I should have gone with Bullet Punch over Bug Bite, hoping that the sub would fail and then being able to finish it off. Hindsight is 20/20....

Conkeldurr (m) Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 244 HP/ 252 Atk/ 12 SpD
Moveset: Mach Punch, Knock Off, Ice Punch, Drain Punch

Details: This was the first time I had ever used any member of the Conkeldurr family line in any Pokemon context, casual or competitive. I loved him. The raw bulk and arrogance of his punches cracks me up. Iron Fist combined with his lethal attack made him a great back up to send in as the 4th or 5th Pokemon, smashing his way through walls and speedy attackers on the enemy team who thought they could finish him quickly. Assault Vest saw Conkeldurr take special attacks even from legendaries and fight back with a powerful Drain Punch or Ice Punch. Knock Off was iffy, I rarely used it - but when I did it really helped, especially against bulky Musharna or Blissey. The moveset is pretty self explanatory, Conkeldurr was sent out, he proceeds to punching his opponent, hard.

Garchomp (m) Expert Belt
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed.
Moveset: Dragon Claw, Protect, Rock Slide, Earthquake.

Details: No one needs an explanation as to why Garchomp works. He's one of those few blessings Gamefreak have granted us. The typing, the stats and the visuals are enough of a justification. Garchomp went on and off my drafts for a Triples Team here, but ultimately came back due to his excellent and consistent KOing record and his resistance to many of the moves that threatened the rest of the team. The Expert Belt gave the extra 'oomph' needed to clear through several opponents and many games were won with just Garchomp standing and a weakened opponent. The Ice weakness is notable, but the rest of the team (mainly Conkeldurr's Fighting punches and Scizor's Bullet Punch) could deal and eliminate Ice Types before Garchomp entered the fray. Garchomp was the physical equivalent of Mega-Gardevoir, who after her fainting, would take over and proceed to decimate other dragon types, any defensive type or even neutrals, with Earthquake. Garchomp is a beast that deserves its competitive hype and its usefulness in the Battle Maison should not be understated.

Concluding Thoughts
: As I said earlier, I was personally shocked that this team pushed 149 wins xD I was more than happy to take it though, funnily enough there werent a lot of 'close matches' - the loss just came and it came suddenly. This team did me well and I'll be picking and taking from this and my Super Doubles team to create a Multi-Battle team. At the time of writing this I have 4/5 Trophies, having won 50 battles in Rotation, which I'll keep playing to see how far I get. Might mention that I do not enjoy Rotation Battles. The increased chance factor and AI irrationality irritate me. Triples however, have found a place in my heart!

Defeat: The last battle was quite frankly, embarrassing. It was a simply team that I underestimated and the enemy got several vital criticals that ensured victory for them. The last showdown with Venusaur and Scizor was also a mess, although I maintain skepticism that Scizor's Bullet Punch could one hit a Venusaur.... A disappointing battle overall. Especially given the prior success of the team. Oh well.

Super Triples Streak: 148 Battles in ORAS.

Battle Video: DGBW-WWWW-WW4G-LWN3

upload_2016-7-23_14-4-33.png

Thanks for Reading! :D

Hoy. Came through to get some ideas for the maison and get some feedback for the triples team I'm using for my current run. Currently have an ongoing streak of 300. Already have all 5 trophies and more BP than I'll ever need but I'm still having fun with it. I used R Inanimate's team for the trophy in X but decided to try out Trick Room stuff this time. I ended up with a team similar to one of ReptoAbysmal's after a couple revisions.

The Squad

Slowbro (F) @ Focus Sash [Slowsis]
Ability: Oblivious
Nature: Sassy
IVs: 31/2/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP / 52 DEF / 204 SP. DEF
-Trick Room
-Scald
-Heal Pulse
-Sunny Day

I went through a few other Trick Room leads before settling on Slowbro. Oblivious allows me to not care about Taunt, and Focus Sash helps for those rare few times the AI decides to aim a super powerful Crunch or Leaf Storm at her instead of Aron. After TR is up she wants to put up Sunny Day for Camerupt to allow it to spam Eruptions and watch the world burn. Although Scald is weaker in the sun, that 30% burn chance still comes in handy often; it can also thaw her out if she's unfortunate enough to get frozen on turn one. Scald is godlike. I kind of wish it were the one water move to get stronger in the sun but that would make too much sense and be even more broken than it already is. EVs let it handle the mindless Earthquake spam a little better without allowing PorygonZ to download a special attack boost.

Lvl. 1 Aron (F) @ Berry Juice [Aron Ryan]
Nature: Who cares
IVs: What are those
EVs: Nah
-Endeavor
-Protect
-Toxic
-Sunny Day

...Yep. Typical scumbag Aron. Also a secondary sun-setter if Camerupt already mega-evolved or if Slowbro is busy.

Camerupt (M) @ Cameruptite [Ground Beef]
Ability: Solid Rock -> Sheer Force
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 SP. ATK / 252 HP / 4 SP. DEF
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Solarbeam
-Protect

The main attraction. I initially had Rock Slide instead of Solarbeam to hit T-flame, Moltres and Volcarona + partner. I switched when I decided I would be using Sunny Day much more often to put a very large dent in anything that doesn't double-resist fire. With this guy on the team, the AI just looooves throwing every water-type in the game at me. Sunny Day helps to survive any water move weaker than Hydro Pump, and Solarbeam allows me to not have to deal with their shit if I don't feel like it. Also Rock Slide misses are annoying, and Sheer Force means I can't get any flinch hax of my own. Because Camerupt isn't "slower" than Slowbro until after it mega-evolves, I usually wait until turn two when it can throw up the sun and burn away. If I really need 'Bro to Scald something then I'll have Aron do it or put it off until later. Even without the sun Eruption still hits like a truck full of Wailords.

Machamp (F) @ Assault Vest [Joan Cena]
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Brave
IVs: 31/31/31/15/31/0
EVs: 252 ATK / 156 HP / 100 SP. DEF
-Dynamic Punch
-Knock Off
-Bullet Punch
-Stone Edge

She's gonna get in the ring and put boots to asses at the ORAS SUUUPPPEEEERRRR SSSLLLAAAMMMM.
Conk arguably fits this role better, but 'Champ has been a favorite of mine since gen 1. Sadly Bullet Punch is much weaker than Conk's Mach Punch, occasionally failing to kill other priority mons when I need it to. But that's just fine because Conk doesn't have a perfectly accurate, 150 BP Confuse Ray. Bright Powder, Lax Incense, and Double Team spam are annoying but thankfully Machamp just does not care about any of it. EVERYTHING is getting punched in the mouth, and anything that survives is likely to punch itself in the mouth out of fear of getting punched by Machamp again instead. It's downright hilarious to watch Unfezant use Fly or Dugtrio use Dig to "safety" only to get punched the fuck out and made a fool of. The idea of a female Machamp horrifies me, but it was the first ideal one to pop up during breeding so I just went with it and give it an appropriate nickname.

Dusclops (M) @ Eviolite [Hatred]
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 31/10/31/31/31/0
EVs: I forget, 252 HP, rest split between defenses
-Trick Room
-Torment
-Will-O-Wisp
-Night Shade

Secondary TR setter, bulky badass, and Aron's usual tag-in if something goes horribly wrong turn one. I'm still not 100% sold on this moveset; Torment is occasionally useful for screwing over anything that's choice-locked, and Will-O-Wisp to neuter the Earthquake spam is cool but my heavy hitters are usually ripping them a new one anyway. It initially had Sunny Day but I felt like three setters was overkill when only one of my Pokemon benefits from it. There have been a fair few weather wars; one of them ending with my opponent setting up Sandstorm after both Slowbro and Aron were KO'd. But that's one match out of 300, probably not worth it. Idk, I want to keep this guy on my team for the amazing bulk, I'm just not sure how to better utilize him in triples.

Clawitzer (M) @ Life Orb [Mr. Krabs]
Ability: Mega Launcher
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 SP. ATK / 252 HP / 4 DEF
-Water Pulse
-Dark Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam

I love this guy. He's the main reason why I decided I felt like going far in triples. Not only does he hit stupidly hard but he can launch nukes from the other side of the field without the AI being able to do a goddamn thing about it. Any 3v1 is pretty much a guaranteed win if he's still alive. I went back and forth between Life Orb and Choice Specs. Specs is great for slightly more power with no recoil; however in a few situations he's been forced to switch in early to eliminate a significant threat but locked himself into a move that wasn't effective against any other enemies. So I settled on Life Orb; he's more likely to miss out on the OHKO against douchebags like Walrein4 but that's the price you pay for versatility.

Previous Members

Reuniclus (M) @ Mental Herb [Invader Zim]
Ability: Magic Guard
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 SP. ATK / 252 HP / 4 DEF
-Trick Room
-Recover
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

My initial Trick Room lead up until win #120. It worked perfectly fine until this happened: 8HFG-WWWW-WW4G-MZNM
Decently bulky while also hitting fairly hard. Magic Guard allowed him to not care about sand, hail, toxic, or burns. Mental Herb allowed him to not care about Taunt, confusion, or Attract. And it was great. He'd still be here if Tyrantrum4 didn't send him to the shadow realm.

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP, a bunch in DEF, forgot the rest
-Trick Room
-Moonlight
-Psyshock
-Ice Beam

...She came from a wonder trade. I haven't caught the Cresselia in my game yet due to Crescent Isle's incredibly sporadic spawn rate so I gave this one a try. I had never used a Cress before so I was pleasantly surprised to see it shrug off super effective hits like it was a damn MegAggron. Levitate also allowed it to dodge all of the EQ spam. It was always pretty much a guaranteed TR setup on turn 1 with the Mental Herb + DAT BULK. Ultimately I dropped her since she's just too fast (slow?) for what this team wants out of a TR lead. Even with a Sassy or Relaxed nature and 0 speed I doubt it'd be much different. Used from match #121 to #125. #126 and on has been all Slowbro.

Replays:

DVLG-WWWW-WW4G-MNQU
Win #300

AVWG-WWWW-WW4G-ML8E
A stressful match with THREE!! leading water starters and a backup Serperior4. Lots of tough choices had to be made

3WXG-WWWW-WW4G-MMS8

A Super annoying Trevenant decides to deactivate Trick Room thrice >_>

TGEW-WWWW-WW4G-MNN8
Slowbro goes down turn 1 to Leaf Storm + Earthquake

Last edited:
There is really no reason to run Sunny Day on Slowbro. It doesn't outspeed M-Camerupt under TR and thus the optimal user will always be Aron.

While it could be argued that Slowbro could use it in the event Aron is gone, or on a turn which both Aron and Camerupt are protecting (which mitigates the issue caused by the discrepancy, sorta) Slowbro is better served by Flamethrower. It actually kills a lot under the sun and allows Slowbro to hit Water Absorb, Dry Skin and Storm Drain targets for Aron. It's important for Slowbro to make as much out of its little offensive presence as possible, to keep Aron around as well as avoiding some waste. Camerupt frequently and easily OHKOs both targets in range by itself, and if Slowbro can assist for a KO and not have to switch, so much the better.

It took me nearly 300 battles to put a Rindo berry on Slowbro, so it's understandable that you'd go so long without seeing the general weakness of a Focus Sash. First, unless the user is Tyrantrum4, your defense investment makes Crunch absolutely no concern whatsoever. Unless you're facing Ace Trainer Jai, your Leaf Storm user will always be Serperior4, who will outspeed most of the spread damage users who are frequent users of said moves. See where this is going, yet? Eat a Leaf Storm, and the Blizzards, Earthquakes, Surfs and so on which you'd normally easily survive are now your death sentence.

You do have a backup setter, which I declined to use, but momentum is everything, and that wasted turn with an Aron and Camerupt having no reliable Protect for that second turn puts you at a disadvantage regardless. Multiple switches are tough to work in your favor.

I had something else to say, but I'm keeping my mouth shut because I want to see if you can beat my streak with that, and in all honesty I'd prefer you not making your team even more similar to mine :P

Smuckem

Battle Video: DGBW-WWWW-WW4G-LWN3
Well, if you were going to lose, you might as well have lost to another goodstuffs team, with very little type overlap and a very bright color scheme to boot.

Regardless, congrats on getting Bastiodon repped on the Triples leaderboard.

DVLG-WWWW-WW4G-MNQU
Win #300
I really liked this, several opponents who can give Aron TR teams trouble were nullified efficiently in a few turns. Excellent work there.

AVWG-WWWW-WW4G-ML8E A Super annoying Trevenant decides to deactivate Trick Room thrice >_>
You sure that's the right code? Not getting anything here.

I had thought about Flamethrower, but held off on it so far because of my tendency to mega evolve on turn 2 while Aron Endeavors something Sturdy, sashed, or fire-resistant on Camerupt's side. In the beginning I was more liberal about attacking with Camerupt on turn 1 instead of Protecting if I thought I could get away with it, but I've come to assume that everything is going to mash the Earthquake button until it breaks. Rindo berry also makes sense but I'm worried about getting cockblocked by Tyrantrum4 again. If there's an answer to both that monstrosity and Serperior4 I'd love to find it. :p

The sheer number of spread moves amidst the things that have potential OHKOs on your Slowbro build still makes the Focus Sash flirting with useless. You already played a battle with the nightmare scenario, and I promise it will continue to happen.

As for evolving Camerupt turn 2, it gets an enormous boost under TR with its speed drop and that is very helpful for killing a number of things with more than 22 speed and equal to or less than 40, which means fewer free hits on Aron. There are a small assortment of common Set 4s like this, and I really don't see what Camerupt gains from staying vanilla for a turn. On top of that, M-Camerupt improves its defenses greatly, which means fewer things will target it a second time, notably Armaldo4 Stone Edge and HJK.

Last edited:
Only Sucker Punch Kangaskhan should attempt this, mind you, because if Gallade is Steadfast, you'll still fuck yourself six ways from Sunday by flinching it. The speed boost Gallade receives will outspeed her mega form.
Wow you're right! I completely forgot about his ability, my bad.

Josh C., my Scizor is the bulky roost/sd kind, with full hp investment, and it still was nearly ohko'd on the switch by a spec'd Latias's Draco meteor crit (while non mega).
I panicked, and not realizing it was choice spec'd, predicted it was the other Latias and would use thunder on me, so I switched back to garchomp. You can guess what happened next.
That's what happens when you don't know all the sets.

I'm going to post the team anyway, and in doing so - IMPORTANT - I'm formally requesting that my run on the leaderboards with mega Metagross be taken down.

This team had a run of 134 wins.
Garchomp
Jolly nature
Lum Berry - I was divided over the item at first, but now I'm certain I made the right choice. Sash is too situational and hardly ever comes into play. Yache is nice but I have two switches to absorb ice attacks. Given my personal hatred of status, Lum is the best bet.
Max attack max speed
Earthquake
Swords dance
Dragon claw- I decided not to go with outrage here. After a sd I have plenty of power without being locked in.
Rock Slide- the hardest move to choose. I was divided over stuff like iron head or fire fang. But I like rock slide's range of targets.

(Mega) Scizor- I was thinking of going with Mega Metagross here but ultimately decided I just couldn't handle the weakness to EQ with no ground immunity on the team. So Scizor it is then.
Adamant nature
Scizorite
Max hp and attack
Bullet punch
Bug bite
Swords dance
Roost
Standard mega Scizor here. He's amazing, although I was disappointed with the final battle where a crit spec'd Draco meteor nearly killed him, and effectively ended my run.

Greninja
Timid nature
Choice specs- I really don't like recoil and I value the extra damage, so I went with specs, my team is fairly bulky so I can switch out a lot anyway
Max sp at and spe - I'm thinking of changing this in the future
Scald- I have this over Surf because I find myself switching in from Garchomp a lot, who attracts ice moves. Then i'm locked into a water move versus what is often a water type however, so I need to switch to Scizor :/
(This hardly ever happens though)
Ice beam
Dark pulse- if I chose this move in my final battle, I would've won
Grass knot
Overall, this team achieved second place for me in terms of a super singles best.

I'm posting the video because it's mandatory, even though it's very embarrassing. Like I said before, I only switched into Garchomp because the Latias I'm most used to encountering always uses thunder on Scizor.
(I wasn't sure if I'd outspeed the Latias or not with chomp, I was just gonna take the chance. Turns out I wouldn't.)

After doing a mock battle, the best switch in that scenario is obviously Greninja, who survives the second Draco meteor handily.

EABW-WWWW-WW4G-PMFN

P.s. I know, my nicknames suck!

You sure that's the right code? Not getting anything here.
Oops, fixed. My B

The sheer number of spread moves amidst the things that have potential OHKOs on your Slowbro build still makes the Focus Sash flirting with useless. You already played a battle with the nightmare scenario, and I promise it will continue to happen.

As for evolving Camerupt turn 2, it gets an enormous boost under TR with its speed drop and that is very helpful for killing a number of things with more than 22 speed and equal to or less than 40, which means fewer free hits on Aron. There are a small assortment of common Set 4s like this, and I really don't see what Camerupt gains from staying vanilla for a turn. On top of that, M-Camerupt improves its defenses greatly, which means fewer things will target it a second time, notably Armaldo4 Stone Edge and HJK.
I'll go with your Rindo berry idea, since Tyrantrum4 hasn't actually targeted Slowbro yet, usually opting to go after Camerupt or Aron with Head Smash instead. I usually will mega evolve turn 1 if there's something that out-slows it before but not after. Any other time I'm still fond of evolving turn 2 just to benefit from Slowbro's Sunny Day while also Endeavoring something that Eruption won't OHKO. As for going after your streak, eh, I'll set my goals much smaller for now then entertain that idea if I happen to break 1K :p

Last edited:
Finally getting around to using Call_Me_Charlie 's Triples team (the one using Flareon and Pikachu, of course) and i just had a gr8 battle (which I sadly forgot to save) where Trick Room basically destroyed my team. On the turn it finally ran out, I was down to Pikachu (right side) against Walrein (right) and Clawitzer (left). Thunderbolt OHKO'd Walrein (who had taken a small bit of damage before). Mega Launcher Water Pulse from Clawitzer failed to OHKO Pikachu and Pikachu fried it with Thunderbolt after auto-center.

Moral of the story: never underestimate Pikachu of all things. There's a reason I'm using this team. Actually 2 reasons: 1) Flareon, my favorite Pokémon ever, and 2) Pikachu, my second-favorite Pokémon ever. I love this

Smuckem

There's a third reason: 3) Call_Me_Charlie, who attacked Triples from multiple angles in the time he was active here, all kinds of fresh directions that, for the most part, have not been replicated. It's cool to see someone giving one of those teams a spin (you were the one who initially challenged him to use Flareon, right? Memories...).

I personally doubt I will ever get close to topping his records, but if I hypothetically were ever to do so, I would actually feel bad about it; I liked all of his concepts and want his records to sit there on the leaderboard like eternal monoliths, never budging.

Then again, as I say that I have plenty of motivation to keep chasing after him:
- On the verge of getting back to 500--as I type this, I'm about to start Battle #500 on my current streak
- After that, a set of hurdles to clear: my personal best--> Theron (what I would consider to be a pseudo-Sky Battle squad)--> Faroth --> pidj (what I would consider to be a pretty ballsy, high-risk, high-reward team)--> the void in the 600s (a.k.a. The Colossal Hole)
- We now have these two new hot-shots clambering up behind me
- A member of my current team is not yet repped on the Triples leaderboard...let's see how far I can get it
- And now you're back on the saddle...nuts

Well, back to it I guess.

There's a third reason: 3) Call_Me_Charlie, who attacked Triples from multiple angles in the time he was active here, all kinds of fresh directions that, for the most part, have not been replicated.
ok yeah that is reason 3 i am sorry i forgot. that's an important reason too. tbh im totally contemplating trying out one of the other teams he posted after this, they just seem so ridiculous and fun

(you were the one who initially challenged him to use Flareon, right? Memories...).
He posted a team that had Electrode and Chatot in it, and I off-handedly remarked something like "if you can make that work, anything is possible. (now if only i can see a team with Flareon)" and his response was to not only find a way to use it but reach 200 wins with the team that included it. I didn't even ask him or anyone else to try to use Flareon, I mentioned it more as a pipe dream than anything, which made it all the more amazing when that team showed up and it included flareon and it included flareon because i mentioned flareon

- And now you're back on the saddle...nuts

Well, back to it I guess.
I don't believe I'm anything of a threat, honestly. I'm just doing this as "something to do while watching youtube videos" to the point I'm not damage calcing, or checking sets, or anything of the sort (which I'd argue are far worse mistakes to make when playing Triples than when playing Singles) so it's very likely my streak is not going to go anywhere. I'd like to see how far it will get before I finally lose, and then when I do lose I want to take it to 200 wins for the sake of being able to say "this team is Starf-worthy as well" (again, flareon and pikachu are my two favorites so i just want to see them get to 200) but not any further.

But then again I've been saying that this whole time. After 50 in each mode I said "screw the Maison, no more of this". Then I decided to go for 200, and said "screw the Maison, no more of this". Then I decided to keep playing Singles because I felt like it (sitting on solid 500 with Durant/Drapion/Cloyster, for the record). Then I decided to get 200 wins in each mode, and said "screw the Maison, no more of this". Now I'm playing with this Flareon team and saying in advance that I will likely go "screw the Maison, no more of this", except what's probably going to happen is that I'm going to keep playing the Maison because I guess I like it more than I thought I did. (After I stole everyone else's teams, that is.)

edit: yeah i lost on like 220 or some shit lmao

Last edited:

Smuckem

Posting a completed streak of 538 wins in Omega Ruby Super Triples.

Operation Smash the Washing Machine Mk.II: Sixth Man Award

After the end of 21 Master Balls, I decided to give the last member of that Bench a chance to contribute, when he was denied playing time due to that run being ended. So, I took the majority of O.S.W.M. once again replaced Eelektross with that last Bench player, and went on what I assumed at the time was going to be a short fun run...

The team itself is a straightforward Trick Room featuring the popular Dusclops/Aron Doubles core and some other folks. The team is personally special due to being some of my earliest IV breeding projects, the TR setter being the centerpiece of my Spooky Cup team, and half of the team being used for Scrappy Skirmish. Earlier variants of this team had my in-game Cresselia as a TR setter, my in-game Regirock as an abuser, and Imperfect Carbink1 as support.

5GGGOT2 (Dusclops) (Lvl.53) (F) @ Eviolite (Left)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 230 HP / 80 Def / 200 SpD
IVs: 31/11/31/0/31/0
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Trick Room
- Night Shade
- Gravity

Arguably my pride and joy among all of my IV breeding projects. Based on the Gen V Guide to Gravity and one of its recommended Dusclops builds, this set has Will-O-Wisp replaced with Pain Split for reliable healing, and is made to set both TR (cause it's TR) and Gravity (to get around evasion hax without relying on powerful, inaccurate attacks, and to give my Earth Power users a little assistance against Flyers and Levitators). As the rest of the team is offensive and could muscle past most Ghosts, as well as having two members who can deal with bulky special walls, I find both Brick Break and W-o-W unnecessary. Besides, it's Bold and can only do so much with Brick Break anyway. It's obscenely bulky and virtually always lasts the entire battle, and with 30 Speed at Lvl.50 it finds plenty of opportunities to Pain Split when needed. Pain Split also allows for a couple of neat combos when TR's up: heal up off of Gastrodon while the slug uses Recover (leaving you with two healty 'mons) and bring Aron back to full health if it's still alive (essentially giving it a 1UP and additional chances for Endeavor shit). Short for "5th Gen Guide to Gravity Offensive Team 2nd".

InspireZheng (Aron) (Lvl. 1) (M) @ Berry Juice (Center)
EVs: N/A
IVs: xx/0/31/0/31/31
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Sunny Day
- Toxic
- Protect
- Endeavor

As the name implies, inspired by R Inanimate and his FEAR Aron. Same old story, although having the zeroed offensive IVs will come in hand at some point I imagine. Since being used for my 250-win streak, he has had Sunny Day inserted to support Megarupt's Eruption and cancel out opposing weather.

TestCano (Camerupt) (Lvl.53) (F) @ Cameruptite (Right)
Ability: Magma Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def/ 252 SAtk
IVs: 3/2/14/31/28/28
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Protect
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp

My in-game gift Camerupt, used mainly as a way to test the power of Megarupt in a generic TR team (hence the nickname). The shitty IV spread is due to me acquiring it well before I thought I would have the patience to ever soft-reset for good ones. In any case, she's here to spam its STAB moves under TR. Will-O-Wisp is filler. Recently, though, I have found it useful to lure Water attacks to be absorbed by...

Totenclone (Gastrodon) (Lvl.52) (F) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 100 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA / 64 SpD
IVs: 25/31/31/31/31/31
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

As the name suggests, based off of R Inanimate and Totenblume. The EV spread and Nature are the same, but I have replaced Muddy Water with Scald and Protect with Recover, the idea being that my other attackers will have cleared the field of Grass types and other miscreants by the time it comes out to play. Scald was chosen for accuracy, having no teammates who can resist Surf, and to get around the Wide Guard users, all of whom are physical, to burn them for spamming their stupid troll move.

SkateSig (Kecleon) (Lvl.52) (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
IVs: 31/31/31/17/31/27
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Another inspiration from the turskain TR roster, this Kecleon has Fake Out replaced with Sucker Punch for wider coverage and as an additional option to get out of "TR down" jams. Fire Punch has been changed due to already having two Fire attacks featured. As this is a backup and not directly supporting Dusclops, Fake Out has a hard time finding a purpose here. The team's designated physical attacker and priority user, providing some much needed Fighting coverage and Protean mind games, which helps to mitigate the high Speed IVs somewhat. Named after Eddie Hunter and his signature move, the Migraine, which is basically what I got trying to get the Ability and IVs right on this, my hardest breeding project to date. Due to the removal of Eelektross, as well as having Ice coverage on Totenclone, Ice Punch has been moved aside to provide the team with some missed Electric coverage.

The sixth slot was occupied by:

"PlagueTreant" (Trevenant) (Lvl.68) (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 SDef
IVs: 31/31/31/xx/31/0
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Phantom Force
- Rest

The last of ReptoAbysmal's gifts to me (like, this was literally the last trade conducted that day), he has become a hell of a fit within this team, performing a number of roles:
- Providing Grass STAB coverage, and a second option to handle Grass/Grounds once Aron faints
- Providing a second physical attacker, thus balancing the team a little more offensively
- Being able to promote some flinch hax with TR-enabled Rock Slide (on top of Rock coverage in general)
- The designated "Protect Hunter" who targets Protect/Detect users while teammates go after everyone else (though I found few situations where he was needed for this)
- Syncs with Aron by being able to exploit Sunny Day with his ChestoHarvest combo
- Acts like a secondary lure for opponents, as next to Aron he is the most frail member of the team defensively
- Can switch-in on Normal & Fighting attacks aimed at Aron, for those instances when Aron needs to be preserved for breaking down bulkys and walls later in the battle. He can also take resisted Ground attacks for Aron and Megarupt, as the situation dictates

"Nicknamed" after the neutral creature from Warcraft III.

The team quickly found itself on something far more than a fun run by Battle #230 or so. The increased synergy offered between Trevenant and all of the other team members, on top of my increasing Maison experience, allowed for slightly faster flow through Triples. It also meant that some of the things that gave me trouble in my last couple of runs (Conkeldurr4, bulky Water-types, certain Ghost-types like Golurk4 and Drifblim4, isolated Trick Room users in non-Psychic/Hex Maniac teams, Mold Breakers) were worked around far better this time around. I also found that I played Megarupt more brazenly than previously; if no one with non-Discharge spread moves or Water attacks was within range, I would often hit Eruption Turn 1 instead of Protect, which helped to speed up some battles.

Speaking of threats:
- Jynx4: While typically Fake Out bait for Aron, there would be times where Blizzard or Lovely Kiss would come into play. As such, the risk of getting frozen/put to sleep and having TR stopped cold gradually became a worry.
- Golem4/Avalugg4: Of all the 'mons who "outsped" my non-Aron/Dusclops core team members, these were the nastiest to deal with. Golem4 had Rock Slide and potential Sturdy to turn the tables on me, and Avalugg4 just hit hard under TR, while very rarely going for Avalanche (which would give me the advantage back).
- Veterans: While this team matched up better defensively against these rosters than the Roslindale Condores/Quetzales, offensively it struggled a little more, due mainly to how many of these Legendaries resist or just tank full-power Eruption (I've gained some more respect for the Kamis' bulk and typing after this run), as well as how many Pressure wielders are among their ranks (which puts limits on Endeavor and Eruption spam).
- Slowthings: Both the Set 4s as well as those Sets that mixed-set Trainers use. They are alwys high-priority targets, but them vacilitating between attacking Aron/Megarupt immediately and canceling out my TR makes it tough to figure out how to best deal with them.
- Snow Warning: the bane of Aron's existence, as it's impossible to cancel this out with Sunny Day on Turn 1 without putting Aron in grave danger. Usually, I have to take a turn or two facing the hail head-on and switching Aron out before I can end it. Abomasnow may very well be the single biggest threat to this team, despite the fact that half of the team has super-effective coverage against it.
- Status hax on Dusclops: Rock Slide flinches, freezes, and confusion were big problems for my TR setter. There were numerous situations where she would start across from a Blizzard user, Rock Slide user, Mandibuzz4, Absol4, or King's Rock holder and I would be crossing my fingers hoping that the match would not begin on a sour note.
- Sky Attack: the bastards using this move changed things up on me from the last O.S.W.M. run: instead of solely targeting Dusclops (with the flinch chance being a concern), all three leads were targeted with roughly equal frequency, making battles with them a guessing game. This run has to be the most I've encountered Unfezant3.

Interesting things noticed throughout this run:
- A very high frequency of certain trainer classes: namely, Ace Trainers, Punks, Veterans, Monsieurs, Madames, and Backpackers
- Among Veterans, I surpringly encountered Set 3/4 and mixed-Set trainers about as often as Set 1/2 trainers.
- Most of my arch-nemeses, former and current, were pretty much neutered during this run. Pinsir4, Froslass4, Weezing4, Virizion1,Vaporeon4...none of them could hurt The Blob! Tentacruel4 was still a minor douche, though.
- Megarupt had the bulk to suvive all kinds of super-effective spread attacks, which was cool and allowed me to play some mind games with the AI afterward. Imagine if I had actually SR'ed her IVs to begin with!
- After struggling to find any Monotype opponents in my past runs, I fought four MonoFlying teams and two MonoWater teams throughout this.

All kinds of interesting battles arose from this run, so I've decided to make some space from my last couple of runs and share some of them in addition to the proof-of-streak:

Battle #54: vs. Hunter (Lilligant/Lanturn/Walrein/Donphan/Whiscash/Vaporeon) (Set 4) -- Triple Fissure
WCJG-WWWW-WW4G-T6GL
Battle #129, vs. Joan (Nidoking/Quagsire/Kangaskhan/Shiftry/Medicham/Jynx) (Set 4) -- Tetra Fake Out
K8XW-WWWW-WW4G-T7WL
Battle #192, vs, Bunny (Dusknoir4/Latias3/Goodra4/Milotic2/Sylveon2/Gyarados?) -- likely the hardest Bunny battle I've ever had up to this point. Dusknoir4 acts very erratically, making the first six-seven turns a struggle
EHSW-WWWW-WW4G-T8G3
Battle #242, vs. Rolf (Mandibuzz/Vanilluxe/Floatzel/Yanmega/Accelgor/Muk) (Set 4) -- Mandibuzz4 is its usual annoying self, turning this into one of the few battles where TR never goes up. Smart play with Aron and Kecleon saves this from falling apart
MMVW-WWWW-WW4G-T9G3
Battle #245, vs. Lalani (Greninja3/Delphox2/Samurott3/Sceptile2/Feraligatr1/Infernape2) -- a whole lot of Water priority is rendered a whole lot of useless thanks to Totenclone. Also, as the cool kids at the Silly Things You've Seen in Other Metagames thread like to say, Delphox2 ever
XDUW-WWWW-WW4F-FW3X
Battle #342, vs. Hazel (Swampert/Walrein/Tentacruel/Wailord/Kingdra/Blastoise) (Set 4) -- one of the Monotype battles
U9PG-WWWW-WW4G-TAP8
Battle #392, vs. Azure (Empoleon4/Tyrantrum4/Regirock1/Bisharp4/Aurorus4/Dugtrio4) -- my most recent encounter with Azure Regirock, arguably my second-favorite Maison opponent
M4NG-WWWW-WW4G-TB3Y
Battle #414, vs. Sigurd (Reuniclus/Jynx/Aurorus/Avalugg/Abomasnow/Slowbro) (Set 4) -- Special guest appearance by the Condores/Quetzales, with the sixth lot occupied by a Speed Boost Blaziken I received in a recent trade (many thx to NOSUPASS). Unfortunately, the occasion is not a happy one, as a semi-hail team tries to ruin my parade. Given that both Snow Warning wielders were present, perhaps this was a foreshadowing of sorts...and look, there's fucking Jynx4!
EZDW-WWWWW-WW4G-TBCM
Battle #476, vs. Eleanor (Terrakion4/Cresselia4/Suicune3/Regirock3/Moltres4/Virizion3) -- the closest battle in the streak, the only one that came down to a 1v1 situation, thanks mostly to Cresselia4 being a constant nuisance
V5UW-WWWW-WW4G-TCRX
Battle #539, vs. Cobb (Walrein3/Politoed4/Abomasnow2/Froslass4/Mamoswine4/Kingdra4) -- amazingly, this was the first time Cobb has led with a Snow Warning Abomasnow. As a result, this was the first time he has had a truly threatening team against me. With five Blizzard users set up, and a Turn 1 Dusclops freeze, you can imagine how quickly this went south...on the plus side, after the recent fascination with Froslass and reading about the headaches that it caused on the Subway, it was cool to see Set 4 contribute to a loss.
E8RG-WWWW-WW4G-TDN5

I was so happy with how this turned out; I had said some time back that I would give O.S.W.M. another go, and not only have I done so, I have taken it to very nice heights...and I have found a Maison hail team that gives the Subway's hail teams a run for their money! Oh, and I have gotten Trevenant repped on the Triples leaderboard.

Faroth, Theron, and pidj remain safe on said leaderboard...for now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)