Pokémon GO

Will there ever be a competitive moveset/strategy discussion? If there is going to be one, would you reckon it'd happen on this thread, or another thread altogether?

I wanted to know about Pokémon Go and saw reddit. Whoa, we can now see best stats and start min-maxing like we always do here. I'm happy that my very first favourite Vaporeon is praised for being one best thing, I'll get one main.

Still, that reddit thread link only shows best Pokémon and moves as of now, not the meta yet, no? I imagine seeing meta game of this with gym formations, both attacking snd defending. With Pokémon moves limited, immunities can probably play a good part when there are many people who has no idea about it, no?

To the casual user yes, but we can see by the detailed stats that people have been data mining and finding this info amongst the code of the game. Once you have the numbers it's easy to figure out which combos are most efficient and useful with a simple algorithm
Is the only way to find these 'hidden' stats to hack the game and look at the code? Is there a way we can get specificly good stats?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
There is no solution given at the moment so the best thing you can do is sit tight and hope that the Pokemon you're hunting is close to you.

There's a theory going around that the GPS coordinates switched to city level which is why everything is 3 steps even though the mons are probably really far from you. This is why the in-game profile maps on the Pokemon are either white or blown up in terms of distance.

To be honest, the vast majority of pokemon in this game can be made into good pokemon compared to other people's if just increase the CP of the pokemon. The hardest looking gyms so far are the ones with the higher CPs I see.

Apparently you can e-mail the Pokemon company/Niantic with proof of disability, Pokemon come to you so you can still play even though you're unable to walk and catch them. This is just a *rumor* I've heard but it sounds really nice so I'm going to believe it for now.
Has there been anything announced regarding this?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The servers have officially cooked it. I haven't been able to play for the last 3 days, and I can't even log into the Pokemon Global Link to sign up for the Battle Spot competition this weekend because too many people are signing up for Trainer Club accounts... Did they just underestimate how much of a global phenomenon this was going to be? Because they certainly weren't prepared.

I went on a roadtrip yesterday to this beautiful beachside town for lunch and a hike, when I finally got the app to work it turned out there were a ridiculous amount of Pokestops and like 8 people were dropping lures all over the place, so I got really excited at the idea of catching some cool stuff but the app kept crashing and I had trouble logging back in each time I reopened it. As I would pass by groups of people also playing I could hear them complaining about the same problems. I hope they get this stuff sorted because when the game works it's so damn fun :(

I'm sorry about your problems. :/ Yeah, I guess they really just didn't expect the game to be as popular as it is, which is a little ridiculous, because pokemon has always been popular. Oh well. They apparently want to do bi-weekly updates, though from what I've been seeing, most people just want them to fix the servers before they try to implement any more features. With the way things are now, idk how they're gonna be able to add over 700 more pokemon like they plan to do, lest the servers just completely die on us.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
There is no solution given at the moment so the best thing you can do is sit tight and hope that the Pokemon you're hunting is close to you.

There's a theory going around that the GPS coordinates switched to city level which is why everything is 3 steps even though the mons are probably really far from you. This is why the in-game profile maps on the Pokemon are either white or blown up in terms of distance.
This explains why the map for me isn't even close to were I live (as in, it's not even in the circle that is highlighted). I also have the three steps bug at the moment, worked fine the first few days, but not since. I'm still not sure how that step thing works 100% to be honest.

The biggest problem I have with Go (and yes its really annoying), is that I feel like the distance to interact with Pokestops is way, way too small. It's far smaller than the size which you can interact with Pokemon over. Why is this the case? I have a stadium next to me, which is locked 90% of the time, and I am not sure you can actually get close enough to hit the Pokestop because its not at the front gate, but it's at the Entrance to the building (which is at the opposite end of the site). Seems ridiculous this is the case for such a huge arena that the Pokestop interaction distance is less than 10 meters. If you were sat in the stands, you couldn't interact with it for instance.

On the other side of things, at least there are a good number of stops in the City (I live on the outskirts and only have 3 Pokestops near me) and there are three gyms that I can see from my desk (but obviously not interact with). One of those has changed hands probably 3 times this morning, going from Yellow to Blue to Red. It also runs pretty well on my shitbox of a phone which is nice.

On this point, I feel like people in cities have a massive advantage over those people who live out in the countryside. There are fewer Pokestops and I am not sure if the Pokemon distribution is any different at all. Surely the further from a City you go, the more powerful/rare the Pokemon should be? Seems silly to gimp people in that way. City people have more Pokestops, which means being able to catch more "trash" mons to level up one in particular. Especially as Pokeballs cost a decent amount comparatively and you can get 5~10 from a Pokestop. If anyone can say if this is right or long, please let me know!

Honestly; the game is really interesting, but its almost unplayable at the moment. The GPS sometimes doesn't link up properly with the amount of distance you've walked (seems like it would be easy to see if you did x distance under y time and compare it with a "maximum speed"). This makes Eggs pretty difficult to hatch. I'm not sure if steps count if the app isn't open (like you can't have your screen locked or anything) which I think is pretty silly. It nearly always takes me two attempts to sign in (I can live with that at the moment). There also seems to not be a huge distribution of mons (I cannot wait for other gens to get added, GenWunners be damned). All I have here is a lot of Magikarp (which I'm good with) and then most of the "generically" common mons. Hell, Spearow and Caterpie have eluded me so far...

As someone who lives in rural Australia the game is next to unplayable. Only one pokestop in my town, and I'm lucky to encounter one Pokemon an hour. They don't even spawn within walking distance of my house. (And for the hopes of rarity in the bush, I'm up to level 6 from a day in Sydney and back home it's still just pidgeys/ratatas/zubats)

Okay, does anyone else experience a glitch in which your avatar ends up in a place that you aren't? It's happened to me a few times before, and it's usually nothing major (like it'll show my avatar across the street when I'm really in my house), but this time...
View attachment 65641
I'm in the ocean???
I'm late, but isn't Pokemon GO using Google Maps to provide the map data? When I used it before, Google Maps often shows me in some ocean initially until GPS signal is found. I suppose it's something similar to this.

DHR-107 said:
This explains why the map for me isn't even close to were I live (as in, it's not even in the circle that is highlighted). I also have the three steps bug at the moment, worked fine the first few days, but not since. I'm still not sure how that step thing works 100% to be honest.

The biggest problem I have with Go (and yes its really annoying), is that I feel like the distance to interact with Pokestops is way, way too small. It's far smaller than the size which you can interact with Pokemon over. Why is this the case? I have a stadium next to me, which is locked 90% of the time, and I am not sure you can actually get close enough to hit the Pokestop because its not at the front gate, but it's at the Entrance to the building (which is at the opposite end of the site). Seems ridiculous this is the case for such a huge arena that the Pokestop interaction distance is less than 10 meters. If you were sat in the stands, you couldn't interact with it for instance.

On the other side of things, at least there are a good number of stops in the City (I live on the outskirts and only have 3 Pokestops near me) and there are three gyms that I can see from my desk (but obviously not interact with). One of those has changed hands probably 3 times this morning, going from Yellow to Blue to Red. It also runs pretty well on my shitbox of a phone which is nice.

On this point, I feel like people in cities have a massive advantage over those people who live out in the countryside. There are fewer Pokestops and I am not sure if the Pokemon distribution is any different at all. Surely the further from a City you go, the more powerful/rare the Pokemon should be? Seems silly to gimp people in that way. City people have more Pokestops, which means being able to catch more "trash" mons to level up one in particular. Especially as Pokeballs cost a decent amount comparatively and you can get 5~10 from a Pokestop. If anyone can say if this is right or long, please let me know!

Honestly; the game is really interesting, but its almost unplayable at the moment. The GPS sometimes doesn't link up properly with the amount of distance you've walked (seems like it would be easy to see if you did x distance under y time and compare it with a "maximum speed"). This makes Eggs pretty difficult to hatch. I'm not sure if steps count if the app isn't open (like you can't have your screen locked or anything) which I think is pretty silly. It nearly always takes me two attempts to sign in (I can live with that at the moment). There also seems to not be a huge distribution of mons (I cannot wait for other gens to get added, GenWunners be damned). All I have here is a lot of Magikarp (which I'm good with) and then most of the "generically" common mons. Hell, Spearow and Caterpie have eluded me so far...
I completely agree on the interaction distance for Pokestops, they are literally just sending you items. I don't see any reason for them to not have a wider radius. It would probably help ease some fears about trespassing if they increased that distance as well.

The rural/urban divide is definitely a massive gap. I went to a cottage over the weekend and didn't see a single pokestop in the nearby town, and no pokemon show up where the cottage was at all (and there is cell service). I didn't spend too much time looking for pokemon in the town up there, but I didn't notice a big difference in distribution in what I did see. Having more rare pokemon show up would make it more interesting for those who lived in the country, but there would still be the issue of leveling up. I can imagine how difficult leveling would be unless you pay-to-win and it will honestly turn a lot of people off unless they adjust it somehow.

Overall, in the city, I've had an amazing experience with the game. I was able to download it in Canada before it was officially released, so the server issues haven't been too bad where I live (I'll see if that changes today though). There still seems to be plenty of people playing, though, and it's been amazing to go around and see people experiencing the game together. I've been trying to hold one gym near my house, which has been fun despite how frequently it gets taken. I feel I might as well keep doing it though, since otherwise there is no use for potions and revives. Anyways, I hope it gets better for everyone as time goes on and I'm excited to see where this game goes.

As someone who lives in rural Australia the game is next to unplayable. Only one pokestop in my town, and I'm lucky to encounter one Pokemon an hour. They don't even spawn within walking distance of my house. (And for the hopes of rarity in the bush, I'm up to level 6 from a day in Sydney and back home it's still just pidgeys/ratatas/zubats)
Same problem with me, you'd think they'd put some rare ones out in the bush, or at least have some distribution AT ALL. I have to constantly use insense unless I drive the 20kms into town.

Is the only way to find these 'hidden' stats to hack the game and look at the code? Is there a way we can get specificly good stats?
I got you fam. Read below

=======

So I didn't see this posted but this is good resource for checking your mon's IVs. This thread from r/TheSilphRoad has the link to the IV calculator spreadsheet. Make a copy of the spreadsheet and it's your to play around with. If you want to be competitive and make the most of your Pokemon check this out and go from there. It's pretty easy to use just enter your Pokemon's name, its HP value, Combat Power, Dust Price and if you've powered it up. From there it will spit out, it's hidden stats (Stamina, Attack, Defense) and then a percentage of how close to IV perfect that pokemon is. If you end up getting a multiple possible values, you'll have to power it up to be able to get a more precise numbers on its IVs.

Link to spreadsheet

Edit: The guy posted an updated version here. Spreadsheet link here.

Last edited:
Well Pokemon Go is finally being nice to me :P

I nearly screamed when a Dragonite turned up on my map. Unfortunately I couldn't find it. I only cried for an hour. Fuck these glitches. This proves that you can find OP af Pokemon like Dragonite. I've also had a Vileplume show up 3 times but I haven't been able to find it.
However, as it turns out, my area does have Pokestops, but a lack of them, and I'm running out of Pokeballs. My Pokemon aren't strong enough yet: my strongest is a 525 Hypnom so I've got no chance at taking on gyms. So, I'll just cry a little at my unluckiness, and hope and pray I hit level 10 without running out of Pokeballs.

I need to get more levels under my belt to get my wild encounter CP up a bit more. I'm barely at level 7 and having trouble getting anything with even 100 CP right now among Com Mons, much less anything particularly interesting to put on a Gym once I do.

A couple mons I like having but lack candy to Power up: Cubone, Eevee, Gastly.

Any truth to rumors of sub-location or time of day affecting things like? Like Zubat/Gastly at night or Water Pokemon around lakes/ponds?

I need to get more levels under my belt to get my wild encounter CP up a bit more. I'm barely at level 7 and having trouble getting anything with even 100 CP right now among Com Mons, much less anything particularly interesting to put on a Gym once I do.

A couple mons I like having but lack candy to Power up: Cubone, Eevee, Gastly.

Any truth to rumors of sub-location or time of day affecting things like? Like Zubat/Gastly at night or Water Pokemon around lakes/ponds?
Yes. Idk about Zubat, but generally, ghost types like Ghastly can be found more at night, water types can be found more by water, grass types around green landscapes, fire types on sunny days, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)