Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what it looks like, Disguise is prety much like a free substitute on switch in.

That...is pretty cool. I wonder if it can absorb status like a Substitute too.

"Limited to Pokemon obtained in Sun and Moon"

Oh god we're going to have to rebreed everything in Alola for official comp stuff huh. RIP kalos pokes.
Wait... anyone has the screen of any Pokemon's profile in Alola if they have the blue pentagon, or is it new mark? I don't want to leave my hard earned Latios and Xerneas alone.

... at least my breedable units are mostly female so I can adjust it again, but....

Gen VII has now won me over for the simple fact that apparently you can now 'fix' IV's. If they do nothing else that will be enough for me. IV's was/is a mistake and an unnecessary complication. This corrects several things such as less than perfect legendaries, ubers and bred shinies.

But what I like the most is that the starter you chose at the begining of the game (soft reset for nature lol) can now follow you into the post-game world of competitive battles. You dont have to leave your buddy in the box anymore :)

Just dont' give them a better hidden ability game freak...

Headcrab or whatever its called seems like it will be a pain in the ass to catch in the wild, though. Not that I actually would unless it turns out to have a cool evo or something.

Problem is by the time you've used taunt they'll already have hit you and removed what Disguise is useful for. I think Disguise's best application would be for setting up; assuming Mimicyu (is it a C or a K? Japanese names vs English names always gets to me in this early reveal period) has decent offensive stats.
It's Mimikyu. It retained its Japanese name, and 'c' only exists in Japanese through 'ch-'.

The point that hypno28 is making is that this change to the IV system inherently makes the game easier, and follows the trend that GF has been on for the past few generations. Depending on the availability of the Bottle Caps, they've more or less rendered breeding obsolete beyond the point of getting the basic information together. Whether anyone thinks so or not, breeding itself is a challenge; it might not have required much thought or input beyond the planning and setup stages, but there was still a time cost involved in getting the final product.

Also, given the fact that Pokémon's most basic core concept is based off of some kids collecting bugs in a park, I find whatever realism there is to the games quite invigorating. This is a world of magical and elemental creatures, yes, but the fact that a system of genetic code for each pokémon has always been an aspect that I've respected about the games. Realism is important, and this system made it feel more real, even if it was irritating at times. Even so, this Hyper Training mechanic will be good for expanding the competitive field, and I'm glad for this, just as I'm glad that the caveat for this training is that the pokémon has to have a maxed level. It means that people will still have to put some work into it, and it won't just be like using the bottle caps to pay at a vending machine for the perfect form of whatever pokémon catches their eye.

Wait... anyone has the screen of any Pokemon's profile in Alola if they have the blue pentagon, or is it new mark? I don't want to leave my hard earned Latios and Xerneas alone.

... at least my breedable units are mostly female so I can adjust it again, but....
We haven't seen a screen yet, unfortunately. In any case, the battle competition does have the only options as "include pokemon from bank" and "Sun/Moon caught pokemon only" so... yeah. More than likely it's a new symbol.

I don't think it is a good ability; I think it's just supposed to be a gag.
If the pokemon is fast, then it would be a pretty decent ability. If not, then yes its pretty bad and just a joke ability. Though at least it has some sort of use in battle unlike some past abilities, like Run away and Illuminate

These new infos are actually exciting!
If Hyper Training is in fact IV Training, then I can finally get my legendary mons with competitive stats. I've waiting since gen IV for legendary distributions, VI gave me legendaries, 3 random IVs and Destiny Knot for breeding which was OK, and now I can finally get my perfect legendary 'mons. YAY!

This might be nitpicking but I hate when I play online using my 3DS, the Battle Animations option is always on. I Hope they add an option to disable them with the new custom torunament so battles become faster.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So from what it looks like, Disguise is prety much like a free substitute on switch in.

That...is pretty cool. I wonder if it can absorb status like a Substitute too.
That would just break the cart, allowing you to PPwast anything by continuously switching between two Mimikyu. I'm pretty sure it works only once, and not for status moves (unless it also breaks the disguise).

About Hyper Training, it looks still time consuming, probably more time consuming than regular breeding for competitive lvl 50 Pokémon. But it removes the luck aspect and change it with "if you take the time, you'll be rewarded, period" instead of counting on the law of big numbers and not knowing when will be the reward. And I really like it.

With Mimikyu's ability like this, I'm going to hold on to the vain hope that Zoroark's ability gets updates in a similar vein.

I'm liking these new pokemon alot. Bewear is an excellent pun name and is adorably dangerous. Mudsdale is so powerful it can punch holes in asphalt when it runs, and it can weigh 2028.3 lbs!
Bounsweet's entire life is filled with dark comedic suffering, Comfey is what Chimecho SHOULD have been, and Wimpod is....interesting

It does make sense to me that they increased the Trainer ID digit number. With the expansion of playable languages, the risen popularity from Pokémon Go - albeit something that couldn't have been very accurately predicted on the scale it's popularity actually reached - and the fact this is the 20th Anniversary, it's likely they expect more players than usual, hence them making a larger number of Trainer IDs so people are less likely to have the same ones.

Gen VII has now won me over for the simple fact that apparently you can now 'fix' IV's. If they do nothing else that will be enough for me. IV's was/is a mistake and an unnecessary complication. This corrects several things such as less than perfect legendaries, ubers and bred shinies.

But what I like the most is that the starter you chose at the begining of the game (soft reset for nature lol) can now follow you into the post-game world of competitive battles. You dont have to leave your buddy in the box anymore :)

Just dont' give them a better hidden ability game freak...
And then you realised your starter doesn't have the oh so precious Egg Moves / Nature.

We haven't seen a screen yet, unfortunately. In any case, the battle competition does have the only options as "include pokemon from bank" and "Sun/Moon caught pokemon only" so... yeah. More than likely it's a new symbol.
... I pray to Arceus this won't be true and they will still include those from XYORAS. After all, while Gen5 had RNG manipulation and cheat codes, why bother limiting again from Gen6 which they thought to be formidable in security (well, maybe not), when they then include option to fix IV there? Even if it requires something, it doesn't seem to be something exclusive to some regions and the hardest I can think to get bottle caps is from Battle Facilities... and I have thousands of those thanks to my Triples team.

Unless they're that serious and the next game slot for the pentagon is scrapped, thus Zygarde was really abandoned in Kalos....

Forget it... DragonWhale confirmed it, it's a +. Oh well....

Gah, this made me sentimental and gets close to wishlisting....

Still... my perfect Latios I got in my Birthday....They better make Lati twins available there ngaaaaa!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
It does make sense to me that they increased the Trainer ID digit number. With the expansion of playable languages, the risen popularity from Pokémon Go - albeit something that couldn't have been very accurately predicted on the scale it's popularity actually reached - and the fact this is the 20th Anniversary, it's likely they expect more players than usual, hence them making a larger number of Trainer IDs so people are less likely to have the same ones.
So basically getting an event mon nicknamed went from 1/1 million to 1/10 billion?

Well that happened. I really like the new Pokemon and abilities. Have the Pokemon been put on the main site yet, because I'll refrain from making a post about all of the Pokemon until that happens.

And then you realised your starter doesn't have the oh so precious Egg Moves / Nature.
Thats why I am hoping I don't NEED any egg moves for my starter. Getting the right gender and Nature is going to be hard though, but worth it. I try to make it a point that my first pokemon team in each game has the starter in it.

... I pray to Arceus this won't be true and they will still include those from XYORAS. After all, while Gen5 had RNG manipulation and cheat codes, why bother limiting again from Gen6 which they thought to be formidable in security (well, maybe not), when they then include option to fix IV there? Even if it requires something, it doesn't seem to be something exclusive to some regions and the hardest I can think to get bottle caps is from Battle Facilities... and I have thousands of those thanks to my Triples team.

Unless they're that serious and the next game slot for the pentagon is scrapped, thus Zygarde was really abandoned in Kalos....

Gah, this made me sentimental and gets close to wishlisting....

Still... my perfect Latios I got in my Birthday....
I do hope that they allow past gen pokemon. Starting from scratch every gen is stupid.

It's Mimikyu. It retained its Japanese name, and 'c' only exists in Japanese through 'ch-'.

The point that hypno28 is making is that this change to the IV system inherently makes the game easier, and follows the trend that GF has been on for the past few generations. Depending on the availability of the Bottle Caps, they've more or less rendered breeding obsolete beyond the point of getting the basic information together. Whether anyone thinks so or not, breeding itself is a challenge; it might not have required much thought or input beyond the planning and setup stages, but there was still a time cost involved in getting the final product.

Also, given the fact that Pokémon's most basic core concept is based off of some kids collecting bugs in a park, I find whatever realism there is to the games quite invigorating. This is a world of magical and elemental creatures, yes, but the fact that a system of genetic code for each pokémon has always been an aspect that I've respected about the games. Realism is important, and this system made it feel more real, even if it was irritating at times. Even so, this Hyper Training mechanic will be good for expanding the competitive field, and I'm glad for this, just as I'm glad that the caveat for this training is that the pokémon has to have a maxed level. It means that people will still have to put some work into it, and it won't just be like using the bottle caps to pay at a vending machine for the perfect form of whatever pokémon catches their eye.
I still disagree that breeding is now obsolete. it still seems faster to get 5IV's and a destiny knot then leveling up a pokemon to level 100 and using how ever many bottle caps. Plus there is still egg moves, natures, and abilities.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank fucking christ for Hyper Training, now I don't have to worry about sitting my ass in front of Solgaleo and praying that the misery of soft reseting ends quickly and mercifully!

The new symbol does sound annoying since gamefreak is probably gonna require it for a lot of stuff. Let's hope that Bottle Caps are easy to find! If not, I might have to reset Pokemon Moon and farm lots of bottle caps that way (assuming you get Magearna fairly early in the game)

I still disagree that breeding is now obsolete. it still seems faster to get 5IV's and a destiny knot then leveling up a pokemon to level 100 and using how ever many bottle caps. Plus there is still egg moves, natures, and abilities.
This. IV manipulation is mostly for things like "Wow! This one has the right nature and ability, 31 IVs on this stat, 31 on another... and 0 on the most important one!?" so you can fix it.

More like fine-tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)