Resource ORAS OU Metagame Discussion

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados actually sets up on Tank Chomp if you Intimidate it, since Dragon Tail can't break the sub at -1.

-1 0 Atk Garchomp Dragon Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 67-79 (20.2 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Of course you should still attempt to weaken it most of the time before attempting a sweep

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados is super underrated right now since everyone is using Lando-T or Rotom-W as there checks to everything and Gyara sets up on Lando and Rotom-W is so easy to wear down its hilarious. People also really like Tangrowth and Amoonguss which Gyara sets up on with either sub or Taunt. Feraligatr is also a good mon right now just because of how well it pairs with offensive mega scizor. Keldeo is a common offensive check to both and one can wear down Keldeo for the other pretty easily. Regular Gyara works too, since SD Scizor can lure Rotom-W with Bug Bite, though most good players will scout and/or not have Rotom-W be their only Scizor check, so it doesn't work as well as Gatr/Scizor.

Whaddya guys like running on your LO Torns? I've generally run it with Taunt/Superpower/H-Wave/Hurrimiss but am pretty unsure of Taunt's usefulness, especially when running another stallbreaker. I've seen HP Ice used in the final slot before, but it seems like a bit of a waste since most Chomps/Landos hardly have any reason to sit infront of Torn.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
U-turn is underrated in life orb torn because of the switch initiative that it gives coupled with the fact that regen heals off LO recoil

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Hp ice/icy wind is for gliscor which (technically) walls you if the LO gets knocked off afaik. I guess it also hits zapdos and thundy as well though I'm pretty sure it's not the main reason it's used.

Reactions: dk

AAamen

☆Ojama: gg team italy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Taunt on Torn-T it's not a bad slot it's useful against suicide leads like Azelf or SashGarchomp, and then give a little support against stall

Hey guys, I found new, amazing, topic to discuss. This World Cup replay. ABR vs craing

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-172100

I think this is one, single most beautiful replay of World Cup ;_;. As much antimeta as you can imagine. It really shows potential of pokemons which are not a+ in viability ranking.
Really can't believe someone actually put Fly in a serious moveset and was actually successful in using it.

My life until now has been a bunch of lies.

Gyarados can use ice fang for chomp or Natural gift for Ferrothorn
Agreed, I always pack Ice punch to take on dragons. I tend to have DD/Ice Fang/Waterfall/Earthquake which does what it needs to do but, like my entire metagame history, doesn't take me over the top.

Which is what I need lol

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Aye im new to the forums and such but have any of you ever tried scarf heatran with eruption? I cant be the only one who uses it. I find it to be pretty reliable and puts a hole in some teams when uses correctly and at full HP. I have been using it since late 2013 in mono and OU on a few of my teams. Im not sure if this is common or not though. Thoughts?

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
eruption heatran has to be quiet nature which is really shitty for a scarfer and you get outsped by tons of relevant shit even wiht maximum investment not to mention the prevailance of hazards making it basically unusable outside like trick room teams (not like trick room is really that usable either but w/e)

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
eruption heatran has to be quiet nature which is really shitty for a scarfer and you get outsped by tons of relevant shit even wiht maximum investment not to mention the prevailance of hazards making it basically unusable outside like trick room teams (not like trick room is really that usable either but w/e)
Oh shie yeah you're right quiet nature does suck but I have been using the generic taunt set lately. Eruption is only good at full hp and during longer battles it just wears down and is not as effective as the taunt set is. Although I will still use eruption every once in awhile I just wanted to hear some feedback :p

Wouldn't it be better for Mega Heracross to have Skill Link as its ability? So that you can swords dance to boost rock blast and its other multiple hit attacks

Wouldn't it be better for Mega Heracross to have Skill Link as its ability? So that you can swords dance to boost rock blast and its other multiple hit attacks
Idk what you're talking about since Mega Heracross has Skill Link by default. So you don't have a choice in its Mega Ability, only in its base form.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Heracross can only have Skill Link... it's pre-mega ability is what you chose between.

Edit: goddammit Magic -_-

Aye im new to the forums and such but have any of you ever tried scarf heatran with eruption? I cant be the only one who uses it. I find it to be pretty reliable and puts a hole in some teams when uses correctly and at full HP. I have been using it since late 2013 in mono and OU on a few of my teams. Im not sure if this is common or not though. Thoughts?
It's not common at all. The closest analogue for Heatran (very strong fire type nuke) would be something like Specs Overheat/Fire Blast.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
It's not common at all. The closest analogue for Heatran (very strong fire type nuke) would be something like Specs Overheat/Fire Blast.
Oh okay thanks. Didnt think it was common tbh. I dont think I ever tried specs on it before though. I will give that a try :]

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You'd use it for the things it can switch into over Volc, but yeah it's generally p. bad

So is there a reason why Greninja is banned from OU instead of just Protean? 'Cause I feel like that ability was the thing making him way too good and not just Greninja himself.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So is there a reason why Greninja is banned from OU instead of just Protean? 'Cause I feel like that ability was the thing making him way too good and not just Greninja himself.
Protean is not broken on Kekleon, which uses it to decent effect in NU. Smogon tries to ban the thing that causes the least amount of collateral damage, so in this case, Greninja was banned instead of Protean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)