"Worst Pokémon Ever"

Treecko's problem is that it was created to be a special attacker with all these moves that became physical the next gen... And then we have Mega Sceptile which didn't even rectify that situation with a strong attack boost. I mean it has Leaf Blade, Thunder Punch, Dragon Claw, and others that all used to be special in the generation it debuted in. I've been telling people how Sceptile had one of the worst transitions with the physical-special split.
Not necessarily created to be a special attacker... It seems to me that Sceptile's focus was (and still is) mostly with the sharp leaves on its forearms. (and some other physically oriented attacks) Even when it was introduced, it still had Fury Cutter, False Swipe, Cut, Crush Claw, and Aerial Ace, and their typing was physical. The generations after gave it more Physical moves that emphasized cutting/slashing, but I guess since it has always been able to learn Swords Dance, that makes it okay to not worry about its still higher Special Attack stat in Game Freak's eyes. (other than throwing in a couple of Special moves)

kangaskhan.gif
Where to start where to start.

1. Anime This Pokemon right here Inspired the most cringy and all time one of the worst Pokemon episodes, The Kangaskhan Kid.

2. Competitive This thing nearly ruined competitive for me. Well it's mega form at least. This thing had parental bond fake out which was extremely annoyying and power punch to increase its already good attack made this thing very annoyying and hard to beat. It also got stab boost plus 1.5 x return, so. It was also very predictable in Non smogon official tournaments for competitors

3. RBY: Kangaskhan was hard to catch and very annoying for compeleting pokedex in RBY. It runs a lot, and has a low catch rate. It also is kinda hard to find. Kinda like a mini chansey.

I nominate Greninja. Whenever that sprite pops up in party during Battle Spot, I face palm so hard that my face becomes handsome squidward, or relatively sexy and not ugly. Hear me out:

Greninja is nowhere near bad in design or competitive use, but in terms of how overused and the lack of filtering for ubers online in this damn game, he can potentially whoop your unsuspecting ass like other greninjas. If you haven't lost to 1 greninja, keep playing, you'll lose to one. Also he's got a dick.

Cerberax

Dancing through life
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, whenever someone brings up Pokémon that are terrible competitively, the only one that keeps consistently popping into my head is Sunflora. Its special attack is good I guess, but it's too fragile to really make use of Solar Power and too slow to reasonably benefit from Chlorophyll. I'm not usually one to be like "oh this Pokémon needs an evolution and that Pokémon needs an evolution" but Sunflora could probably use one at this point...

I consider Regigigas as the worst Pokemon.
- Disgusting amount of efford needs to put into to get it
- It is terrible offensively as its ability makes his attack almost useless and has no notable special moves to work with its average special attack
- defensively good stats but no recovery and not even protect to benefit from it

And that thing suppost to have legendary status and rule over the Regis...which each of them are significantly more useful than Regigigas.

- It is terrible offensively as its ability makes his attack almost useless and has no notable special moves to work with its average special attack
- defensively good stats but no recovery and not even protect to benefit from it

And that thing suppost to have legendary status and rule over the Regis...which each of them are significantly more useful than Regigigas.
To top it all off, even if it didn't have Slow Start... it really wouldn't be that great among it's fellow legendaries.
I mean, it'd be pretty good in OU and such, maybe even banned; but it seems like it'd be pretty crap up against the other legendaries.

I'll bring to the one everyone forgot about until they had to GTS him in XY.

Lumineon! A Pokemon with mixed offenses of 69, mediocre bulk and it's highest Stat is the decent 91 speed.

Literally the only funny thing it has going are 3 decent abilities, Swift swim and storm drain help him hit harder than a wet noodle in rain or when hit by a water move!...basically like a weter noodle! And water veil so he cannot be burned when threatening you with waterfall backed up by 69 attack!

He also gets some unique quirks, like learning both u turn and bounce by level up!

Also it a freaking fish that learns Defog!

Eat your heart out Martine!

In all seriousness this Pokémon deserves a special mention for being so unremarkable and forgettable despite having cool quirks in its movepool and coming from a cool ass fish from real life...yet somehow being the Pokémon everyone forgot that existed unless they wanted to complete their dex.

Last edited:
Sure doesn't help that Finneon and Lumineon were fishing-exclusive in their debut generation, all but ensuring that you'd never encounter one in the wild unless you were specifically searching.

Edit: Looks like not only that, but they were also Pokewalker-exclusive in HGSS, fishing-exclusive in Gen V, and DexNav-exclusive in Gen VI. Wow.

Last edited:
Lumineon is kind of a failure in every regard. I could excuse bad abilities and bad stats, not every pokemon is meant to be a competitive powerhouse. But I can't forgive that design, specifically the color palate.

Gamefreak took inspiration from three of the most colorful fish in the sea:

upload_2016-7-30_12-41-13.jpeg

And they gave it the most blah color pattern ever.

Darkblue and lightblue are the worst color contrasts they could have picked. Even in real life they are made to camouflage a fish into the background (many open ocean fish are light blue on the bottom and dark blue on top, so that they blend into the water around them depending on which angle you are seeing them from)! This fish was born to be forgettable!

It could have been salvaged if they used that splash of pink as an actual splash instead of a pink mole on it's tail-fin, as it does have a decently inspiring body-design with the butterfly fins. It would have been interesting if they took the butterfly-fish to a logical climax by giving it butterfly wing patterns (like vivillion and beautifly). But they went above and beyond to hide that, so it really just looks like just a fish. What were they thinking?!

Finneon... actually isn't too bad. The better use of the pink really comes out here, so it really boggles me as to why they toned that down in the evolution. Finneon's main problem (other than evolving) is that the interesting part of the design is in the back, meaning that it looks really dull when shown from the front.

This is probably more apt for the design thread, but I'm the last one that posted there so it's all locked up for me until someone bumps it.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
But, it turns into Gyrados. I don't mind Magikarp because it does have some nice Pokedex entries and works well as the fish no one wants.

I'll go and nominate Voltorb.

The design is literally a Pokeball with some eyes glued on. It is annoying, Arceus help you if you find it in a Nuzlocke and it uses Self Destruct, and it's... it's....
Why.
"B-but Voltorb's design is good. It's poking fun at the JRPG mimic archetype."

But I digress, here's my nom

But I digress, here's my nom
[it's a Burmy]
To be honest, I really liked Burmy and Wormadam design-wise. Their stats aren't fantastic, but in-game Wormadam is passable, and the way Burmy's evolution changes depending on where it is really interested me. Ground/Bug (which one of the Wormadam's gets) also wasn't a common dual-typing, so overall I thought the Burmy line was pretty cool.

What makes Burmy such a problem in my opinion is that it learns Protect naturally, and the AI spams it in the most annoying way possible. Protect is bad enough, but using it meaninglessly is just irritating. So Burmy just ends up leaving a bad taste in the mouth. It's too bad, really.

IMO, Conkeldurr is one of the worse Pokemon when it comes to design. Even worse is the fact that it had so much potential: Timburr is adorable, and Conkel's lore (teaching humans how to make concrete?) is downright genius.
But then they added so much muscle to it that it looks like its wearing water wings. I mean, I like a good buff Pokemon every now and again but... Uggghhhh

Lumineon is kind of a failure in every regard. I could excuse bad abilities and bad stats, not every pokemon is meant to be a competitive powerhouse. But I can't forgive that design, specifically the color palate.

Gamefreak took inspiration from three of the most colorful fish in the sea:

And they gave it the most blah color pattern ever.

Darkblue and lightblue are the worst color contrasts they could have picked. Even in real life they are made to camouflage a fish into the background (many open ocean fish are light blue on the bottom and dark blue on top, so that they blend into the water around them depending on which angle you are seeing them from)! This fish was born to be forgettable!

It could have been salvaged if they used that splash of pink as an actual splash instead of a pink mole on it's tail-fin, as it does have a decently inspiring body-design with the butterfly fins. It would have been interesting if they took the butterfly-fish to a logical climax by giving it butterfly wing patterns (like vivillion and beautifly). But they went above and beyond to hide that, so it really just looks like just a fish. What were they thinking?!

Finneon... actually isn't too bad. The better use of the pink really comes out here, so it really boggles me as to why they toned that down in the evolution. Finneon's main problem (other than evolving) is that the interesting part of the design is in the back, meaning that it looks really dull when shown from the front.

This is probably more apt for the design thread, but I'm the last one that posted there so it's all locked up for me until someone bumps it.
I like Lumineon, i just find the Pokemon annoying because it was one of the only Pokemon I couldn't get into the dex at the end of Pokemon Diamond when I needed to move on to the national dex!

Last edited:

Which is exactly why we needed Primal Regigigas in ORAS. A huge missed opportunity, if I say so myself, unless they've planned it for SM.

Anyway, I really like Regigigas myself; just not in battle. I never got why it had Slow Start in the first place. Other Legendary that are waking up from their slumbers don't have this kind of Ability either, which just really bothers me. However, Regigigas still ranks among my favorite Normal-types, and at least it's not as useless in the Mystery Dungeon titles, where it's actually pretty damn good.

I do agree on Finneon and Lumineon being extremely unremarkable Pokémon. They're so easy to gloss over and I outright forget they even exist sometimes. Not exactly a good thing, if you ask me. As for Burmy: Definitely an interesting Pokémon, though I will agree the Protect spam can be extremely annoying.

In my opinion, the worst Pokemon is klinklang, and for that matter, its whole evolution line. I'll give klink a bit of a pass because it itself is not wholly terrible, but its evolutions are wholly uninspiring. Each evolution is just "let's just add another gear". Now someone would probably bring up that dugtrio and magneton are the same thing, but at the very least diglet is cute and dugtrio is kinda cool- they have a personality. And then there's magneton, which is based off of a magnet or electromagnet, something with actual power. But klinklang is just a couple geometric pieces of metal thrown together with an unchanging face. It falls below even barbaracle in my book, which is not something to be proud of.

I would like to nominate Heatmor. It's a fire-type ant-eater that preys upon the Bug/Steel Durant, which at first glance makes perfect sense. Until you start doing damage calculations, that is:

252 Atk Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatmor: 406-478 (130.5 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatmor: 306-360 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Hustle Durant Dig vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatmor: 326-384 (104.8 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course Hustle could miss, but even with Stone Edge, Heatmor still has a 64% chance to get knocked out by the thing it's supposed to prey upon. Umm... why isn't this thing extinct already?

Heatmor fits right in with with Delibird and Farfetch'd; pokemon that Game Freak created purely to troll the hell out of. Farfetch'd is the worst survivor of all time (pro tip: don't carry the vegetable that your predators like to eat you with). Delibird is the worst Rapid Spinner of all time, and Heatmor is the worst predator of all time! I actually like what Game Freak did with Heatmor, though. I think it's cool that the continued the tradition they started with Delibird and Farfetch'd, but made it much more subtle than either of them. Heatmor actually has good stats, AND it has a major type advantage over Durant so at first glance it appears to be a reasonable predator. You have to get into the core mechanics to realize how hard Heatmor got trolled.

Oh yeah, one more thing: I highly doubt that pokemon "just get knocked out" in the wild. I highly doubt that a colony of Durant, after having KO'd a dangerous predator, would say "well, obviously its HP is zero now so nothing more for us to do!". No, they're going to literally tear the unconscious Heatmor to shreds, if for no other reason than to make sure it can't try and coin-flip for a Hustle miss sometime down the road, though honestly if Durant are anything like IRL ants, they'd probably just eat it. So yeah, during its lifetime, a Heatmor may fry 1-2 Durants if it gets a hustle miss, but in the end, it's doomed.

Out of those moves, though, Durant only naturally learns Dig. And I'm pretty sure they don't have any EVs when you catch them, though I'm not sure if that affects the OHKO - if not then Durant is faster and easily outclasses it's 'predator', if so then Durant is toast after it attacks.

Makes me wonder why natural selection hasn't sorted out the Truant variants, though I guess that's why they're rare. :D

Out of those moves, though, Durant only naturally learns Dig. And I'm pretty sure they don't have any EVs when you catch them, though I'm not sure if that affects the OHKO - if not then Durant is faster and easily outclasses it's 'predator', if so then Durant is toast after it attacks.

Makes me wonder why natural selection hasn't sorted out the Truant variants, though I guess that's why they're rare. :D
Well:

0 Atk Hustle Durant Dig vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatmor: 260-308 (83.6 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, one-on-one I guess Heatmor *barely* wins. Still though, the fact that with just a little bit of EV training (EV training that Durant could technically do on its own!) the ant can beat its predator is still hilarious. Also, remember that in XY, hordes are 4 Durant to 1 Heatmor, so Heatmor may fry one Durant, but it then gets mauled by the remaining 3. Still a pretty crappy predator. As for the Truant ones, they never leave the colony, so they are safe from Heatmor (unlike real ant-eaters, Heatmor can't breach Durant's colony; it has to hang out just outside and try and grab them when they come out). However, Durant probably evolved to find Truant about as sexy as we find 800 lb humans, so that's most likely why it's rare.

Edit: One more thought: it is true that Stone Edge is a TM move. However, because TMs are reusable, it's not impossible to imagine some trainer accidentally dropping the Stone Edge TM near a Durant colony. If that ever were to happen, then the entire colony would become Heatmor-proof. Heck, they could even share it with other colonies. (Pokemon are smart enough to understand trainers orders; I'm sure they could figure out how to work a TM). And of course, even with uninvested attack, Stone Edge does Heatmor in:

0 Atk Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatmor: 326-384 (104.8 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Oh, those above three posts are hilarious!

The designers clearly didn't think this through! My guess is that Heatmors ambush Durants while they are out hunting. They might even hunt in packs, to avoid the fate that would come with failure, because we know what that means!

It's also possible that Durant's lack of attacks with reach gives Heatmor an advantage that he doesn't have in the games.

"Sure, that's it. Charge right at me. So I can roast your head!"

Maractus, I initially was going to say Krabby because it looks like a crab, it's Japanese name is literally crab and it evolves into a bigger crab.

But Maractus is so useless competitively and pretty much universally forgotten in terms of design that I think I've only ever see it on Battle Factory and even then it's unremarkable to the point where it dies straightaway.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Over the weekend, I actually came to remember a solid contender for this thread. At least in the category "Pokémon we never wanted", it has to be up there:

Chingling.

Why is that so? Well, first, some background. Namely, this guy:

In Ruby and Sapphire, Chimecho was probably the one Pokémon you'd be the least likely to catch, for three reasons:

One, it could only be found on the very summit of Mt. Pyre, where it was a 2 % encounter in the tall grass. That meant you were likely to sift through fifty Shuppet and Duskull before finding it. Tell me, in such a far-off location as Mt. Pyre, who would want to spend enough time in that grass to find Chimecho, unless the dice rolled Chimecho's way really early? You have one reason to even visit the summit of Mt. Pyre, and that is for one story moment. Two, if you come back to return one of the Orbs, which is only in Emerald, I believe. The only other Pokémon found in the grass, Shuppet and Duskull, can also be found inside Mt. Pyre. Okay, in Ruby Shuppet is 3 % more common in the tall grass than it is inside the mountain, and vice versa for Duskull in Sapphire and Emerald, but you really have no reason to go into the grass at the summit even if you are hunting for a right-natured specimen of the version-uncommon type. The only reason you have to go into the grass at all is to find a hidden Rare Candy. But you have no reason to stick around for long enough to encounter a Chimecho. The point is, Chimecho is extremely rare.

The second reason: 65/50/70/95/80/65 = 425. Those are Chimecho's stats. It's no Luvdisc, but as far as BST goes, it's between Wormadam and Emolga (other Pokémon with that total: Marowak, Sunflora and Swoobat). Chimecho has far worse stats than other Psychic types in RSE, such as Grumpig, Gardevoir, Claydol, Xatu, Medicham (if you factor in Pure Power), or even Solrock/Lunatone. I suppose it can claim higher stats than Kadabra, but only because Kadabra skimps its Physical stats to excel on the Special side. Chimecho also lacks the moves to do anything worthwhile, with a movepool consisting of Confusion, Psychic, and a whole bunch of crappy Normal-type moves, all of which are Physical since this is Gen III. I suppose you could teach it Shock Wave if you wanted a damaging Special move that is not Psychic, but that was a one-off TM with far better mileage on other Pokémon. Your only other option would be Hidden Power, and we all know how reliable that move is for casual play...
Point is, Chimecho is extremely weak, which makes it unattractive, and even disappointing considering the effort it requires to be found.

The third reason: Guess how many trainers in the game use Chimecho? This isn't possible to check on Bulbapedia or Serebii, but according to TVTropes it is zero. Coinciding with the fact that Chimecho has the highest index number in Gen III, which means it was the last Pokémon coded into the game, it seems like the designers all but forgot about Chimecho. It is used by nobody, not even giving a hint of its existence in the games. Of course, it was used by James in the Anime, which gave it the advertising it needed not to be the most obscure Pokémon ever until Lumineon was released.
Point is, Chimecho is extremely obscure, meaning you won't even learn about it unless you look it up.

So, why is Chimecho not the worst Pokémon ever? It's hard to find, very weak, and even hard to discover if you didn't watch the already-then long-stale TV series. It's so hard to find, which builds expectations, yet so weak that it becomes an epic disappointment when you eventually get it.

Well, at this point, Gen III, Chimecho could possibly be the worst Pokémon in existence, but it still had potential. Chimecho's stats are slightly higher than, but overall comparable to, those of Kadabra, Metang, Duosion and Gothorita. It has lower BST than, among others: Sneasel, Misdreavus, Piloswine and Magneton. Overall, Chimecho compared well to middle-evolutions, there was no reason why its line should be capped. Gen IV was right around the corner, promising evolutions to many Pokémon of previous generations. Even Porygon2, its BST a monstrous 515, got an evolution. Apparently for the last time, Game Freak would make proper additions to evolution chains, giving a permanent upgrade to the monster previously considered the apex of its family. Chimecho had potential, Gen IV had promise, and the designers had plans for the two to converge.

So what did Chimecho get?

Gosh-darned Chingling. A pre-evolution. And that was it.

You know, Game Freak, when fans compared Chimecho to a middle-evolution, hinting that its line should longer, we didn't wish for an addition on that end of the chain. Chimecho was already borderline useless. Chingling is even more so. Why would you even want to catch a Chingling? We all knew Chimecho is worthless, and having a pre-evolution does not make it stronger in the end. Nobody wants to catch Chimecho. Catching a Pokémon that requires actual investment to eventually become Chimecho? Now, that has to be among the worst Pokémon ever.

I think the worst Pokemon are the elemental monkeys' evolutions. The base forms are fine enough (I like Pansage!). However, there's something about the Simis that is just off in their design; I suppose bland is the right word. In addition, their movepools are really lackluster.

Crabominable. Once again Gamefreak have no idea what to do with offensive ice types by making it slow and thinking high HP will make up for it. At least give it ice shard. In my opinion a horrendous design (mainly the Clemont hair and goofy face). Not even good in game because it only evolves right before the end of the game IIRC. Its pre evolution also always interrupts when I want to pick berries!

I personally feel the Jigglypuff line is pretty horrible. These Pokemon have some of the worst stat distributions in the game, with their offenses being mediocre and their defenses and speed being horrible and offsetting their amazing HP. For a fully evolved Pokemon of a 3 Pokemon evolutionary line, Wigglytuff's Base Stat total is surprisingly low at 435 (425 before the gen 6 buff) which is lower than a fair amount of middle evolutions like Electabuzz and Sliggoo. In game and competitively, there really is no reason to use it as a Normal type over Clefable apart from having slightly better availability because Clefable just does everything Wigglytuff could do, but better due to its better stat distribution, abilities, and Movepool. While Gen 6 did give Wigglytuff a few notable buffs by giving it Competitive, better Special Attack, and giving it the new Fairy typing (making it the best Giratina-O Counter, go figure), its still not enough to improve its standing in comparison to other, better Pokemon, as its still outclassed (and bad) as both a Normal and Fairy-type.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)