Pokémon GO

Yup, there is a timed attack pattern. People have found that the attack rate of a defending Pokemon is always 1.5 seconds, and the AI will always try to use the Special when possible.
where do you tap when you want to use the special? It's still unclear to me.

Edit: there's been news of more dangers! Some British people got trapped on an island off of western supermare. Apparently it was a poke stop and they were trying to catch a jigglypuff! Almost got killed!

Last edited:
As you might already know, I really love Machamp, so I want to ask: Has anyone confirmed that Fighting types do Spawn more often at RL gyms, Stadiums, and Arenas etc? My local gym doesn't seem to have any of them...

I woke up to find something odd. Dig now hits for 70 Base power.

Turns out they updated it. Water Gun is nerfed to 6 Base power. There'll be more to see. At least this will... sighs, reduce the viability of my loved Vaporeon.

Actually, they screwed up in balancing the moves. Dig hits stupidly for 70 power, while Dragon Claw only 35. Hyper Beam is at 120, ensuring Snorlax to take tyranny as Vaporeon just left. And other stupid things.

A Dragonite appeared in Morse Park, Hong Kong.
And the next day, gyms around will be filled by Dragonite, ha.

Last edited:
I woke up to find something odd. Dig now hits for 70 Base power.

Turns out they updated it. Water Gun is nerfed to 6 Base power. There'll be more to see. At least this will... sighs, reduce the viability of my loved Vaporeon.

Actually, they screwed up in balancing the moves. Dig hits stupidly for 70 power, while Dragon Claw only 35. Hyper Beam is at 120, ensuring Snorlax to take tyranny as Vaporeon just left. And other stupid things.

And the next day, gyms around will be filled by Dragonite, ha.
This has been noted. I was just about to post the full list in fact.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v99uo/move_powers_have_been_updated

It seems Niantic is able to change both Nests and Pokemon moves without any updates required. This new discovery means that Niantic can change the entire "meta" on a whim.Should prove very interesting.

where do you tap when you want to use the special? It's still unclear to me.
You tap the Pokemon you're using. So if you have a Vaporeon out with a full meter, and you want to use Hydro Pump, then tap and hold your Vaporeon for a bit.

The recent move update means viability rankings are going to change. You can already see some preliminary changes to the DPS rankings in the comments section of Count Bleck's link. Seems like most of the top tier stays the same, but special attacks are now much more important due to most of them getting a power boost (and simultaneously, most fast attacks getting nerfed).

Also, for those of you who don't know about it yet, this website is able to show you all the current spawns around a specified location. Just enter your approximate location and place the marker. Pokemon from lures and incense don't show up since only you can see those, but all the natural spawns are shown. Good for figuring out what changed with the update in your area.

https://pokevision.com/

You tap the Pokemon you're using. So if you have a Vaporeon out with a full meter, and you want to use Hydro Pump, then tap and hold your Vaporeon for a bit.

The recent move update means viability rankings are going to change. You can already see some preliminary changes to the DPS rankings in the comments section of Count Bleck's link. Seems like most of the top tier stays the same, but special attacks are now much more important due to most of them getting a power boost (and simultaneously, most fast attacks getting nerfed).

Also, for those of you who don't know about it yet, this website is able to show you all the current spawns around a specified location. Just enter your approximate location and place the marker. Pokemon from lures and incense don't show up since only you can see those, but all the natural spawns are shown. Good for figuring out what changed with the update in your area.

https://pokevision.com/
I often find that poke vision doesn't always work e.g. I found a Pidgey next to me and poke vision didn't show this when I refreshed the page. It's probably better than poke radar though.

So I went out to see a friend today and it turns out my bank gives me free internet which is right next to a memorial park with three poké spots, two of which had lures up today. Me and her spent like two hours there just catching pokemon and getting poke balls
Also there were so many Drowzee everywhere like goddamn my town is full of child kidnappers

I've been looking into nests but unfortunately can find very little information online. In particular I'm hoping to find a good nest somewhere in Stockport, UK but there's absolutely nothing to my knowledge bar 292000 Drowzee. Manchester I'm sure must have some nests (especially since London has a dedicated list) but information is primarily focused on American locations.

The official spreadsheet with the DPS rankings has updated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4uffha/pokemon_dps_total_damage_calculator/?sort=new

The main change due to the base power update is that all the Pokemon that were good because of Water Gun and Mudshot got knocked down a lot, with Vaporeon, Slowbro, Golem, and Blastoise being the only ones to stay at the top. Alakazam also got hit hard, falling down to irrelevance after Psycho Cut got shafted. Other significant changes include Wigglytuff and Rhydon shooting nearly to the top in viability because Pound and Mud Slap are now so much stronger relative to the other quick attacks. Most of the previous top tier are still top tier though, just with some shifting around in order. And in general, it seems most Pokemon that didn't rely on Water Gun or Mudshot got a boost.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So the newest update did interesting things.

Trainer Avatars can now be re-customized (why this wasn't a feature before I don't know).
Adjusted moves damage (as many of you have noticed).
Improved memory issues (now you won't have to burn through your data, just your battery!).
Updated some animations, graphics, and displays.
Oh, and this little thing of removing footprints of nearby Pokemon.

Well the good news is you don't need to worry about the 3-step glitch, but now you're left wondering how far away a "nearby" Pokemon is. Not really a solution bu more giving up. Not saying they shouldn't get rid of it, but replace it with something else, say like something which pointed you in the direction the Pokemon is. Who cares if its "nearby", tell us where to go! Either give a "You have # meters to go" or a compass pointing North, South, East, and West. This is why people are using PokeRadar, Niantic CEO John Hanke. There's a difference between exploring your environment with a known goal/destination and wandering around lost. The former is fun and when you arrive to your intended place you're excited for the upcoming encounter, the other is annoying and the relief of finding what you're searching for is more so you don't have to look anymore.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I went ahead and tried the game just to see what the hype was about, but I ended up deleting it; not because it isn't fun, but because it's freemium.

If you want the ethical concerns of freemium apps explained to you better than I will explain it in this post, watch South Park episode 18x06 (Freemium Isn't Free). I will open by saying that I suffer from an addictive personality, i.e. I can get addicted to literally anything. After reaching level 12 or something, I found it difficult to play the game without spending any money at all. First, when I was actively trying to avoid microtransactions, I spent hours sandwiched between two Pokestops to end up with just 40 Pokeballs, which wasn't even enough to last until the next level. So, basically, when I find myself playing, I can choose between either excessive grinding or wasting all of my money on microtransactions. I ended up spending more on this app in less than a week than I spend on Spotify every month.

In a nutshell, if you have an addictive personality, don't touch this with a ten-foot pole.

There's a difference between exploring your environment with a known goal/destination and wondering around lost. The latter is fun and when you arrive to your intended place you're excited for the upcoming encounter, the other is annoying and the relief of finding what you're searching for is more so you don't have to look anymore.
Sorry to go grammar nazi on you, but I believe you mean the former, not the latter.

In any case, I agree. Getting rid of the footprints is really not much of a solution. Here's to hoping they can actually fix it and bring it back, or, like you said, replace it with something else.

I'm glad you can change your avatar. I was beginning to regret mine lol
I went ahead and tried the game just to see what the hype was about, but I ended up deleting it; not because it isn't fun, but because it's freemium.

If you want the ethical concerns of freemium apps explained to you better than I will explain it in this post, watch South Park episode 18x06 (Freemium Isn't Free). I will open by saying that I suffer from an addictive personality, i.e. I can get addicted to literally anything. After reaching level 12 or something, I found it difficult to play the game without spending any money at all. First, when I was actively trying to avoid microtransactions, I spent hours sandwiched between two Pokestops to end up with just 40 Pokeballs, which wasn't even enough to last until the next level. So, basically, when I find myself playing, I can choose between either excessive grinding or wasting all of my money on microtransactions. I ended up spending more on this app in less than a week than I spend on Spotify every month.

In a nutshell, if you have an addictive personality, don't touch this with a ten-foot pole.
I wouldn't say I'm addicted to the game, in fact I really don't play it as often as I thought I would, but I understand where you're coming from. I've been trying to avoid microtransactions like the plague. Sure, pokeballs may be free, but not everyone has the time to chill at a pokestop for who knows how long. I haven't spent any money on this game yet, but I don't ever want to get to the point where I feel I have to, and it's one of the reasons that I've considered deleting the app as well.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
RIP pokevision

I find it fitting that both the mainline games and this mobile game are made by very incompetent developers lol

RIP pokevision
Wikipedia said:
On January 15, 2015, Google announced that it would stop producing the Google Glass prototype but remained committed to the development of the product. According to Google, Project Glass was ready to "graduate" from X, the experimental phase of the project.[14]

On December 28, 2015, Google filed a new application with the Federal Communications Commission for a new version of the Google Glass.
If this is true, then given Niantic's relation to Google and Go's success, then I could see Google Glass being in the future of Go.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

I still don't understand why Westerners hate freemiums with a passion that Asians (as in people from Asia, not the ethnicity) simply don't.
Top ranked games in Asia are all Freemiums, and nobody complains about them.

It can't just be me. Somehow, since update wild Pokemon are much more annoying to catch. They jump and attack more often, some Pokemon's target circle is smaller or put in more difficult surface of Pokemon than before, and they break out from balls more often. Suddenly I feel frustrated instead of having fun. I managed to burn all balls in a mall with many stops.

Also, worse bug in battles. Not only sometimes the 1HP glitch by server-client lag persists on the enemy team, the same doesn't persist in own Pokemon and even when in the server the Pokemon still has more HP because of other failure in registering successful evasions or damage from enemy's special move out of nowhere, if in the phone the HP bar depletes it's dead and the Pokemon is suspended until it's really dead (as in HP is 0 in the server). They still give right HP amount in the next battle if lucky enough to beat the previous, but the only solution is to surrender and start over the battle again.

I feel like this is unplayable for now. Catching makes frustration. Training is infuriatingly difficult. I used to be able to down 2 higher CP 'mon with my little Vaporeon even if I account move nerfs, but now I can't even down a duck because of this.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
RIP pokevision

I find it fitting that both the mainline games and this mobile game are made by very incompetent developers lol
I wouldn't call them incompetent, just blinded by their vision. What Niantic's CEO visions is people diligently searching around for nearby Pokemon, discovering either more Pokemon or something/places in the real world they've never knew was their before. But in reality the lack of direction makes people frustrated when they see a Pokemon they want and are made to wonder around, and by the time they find the Pokemon (if they do) they could be tired, hungry/thirsty, and maybe even short of in-game supplies if they caught other Pokemon on their way to finding the Pokemon they actually want. It's that ever popular conflict between ideals & truth, Niantic's vision just isn't supported by the truth.

It can't just be me. Somehow, since update wild Pokemon are much more annoying to catch. They jump and attack more often, some Pokemon's target circle is smaller or put in more difficult surface of Pokemon than before, and they break out from balls more often. Suddenly I feel frustrated instead of having fun. I managed to burn all balls in a mall with many stops.
And now that they made wild catches more difficult having enough supplies for when you get to the Pokemon you want is even more crucial.

I'm wondering if this isn't also out of spite on Niantic's part. Someone made their game easier to play so now they're somewhat lashing out.

"WE think you should be ~exploring~ to get your Pokemon!" *Closes down Pokemon Radar sites*
"Oh, you think some Pokemon are too powerful? Fine!" *Nerfs all the popular Pokemon*
""
"You think catching Pokemon is too easy. You asked for it!" *Makes catches harder*
"There! Maybe next time you'll think about giving us legitimate complaints to make the game more enjoyable!"

Not saying eventually these changes shouldn't be made, but I think they might have done these changes early without the system needed to support them to back them up.

I still don't understand why Westerners hate freemiums with a passion that Asians (as in people from Asia, not the ethnicity) simply don't.
Well for Adamant Zoroark he explained he has an addictive personality so what he said concerns only him and other people with such personalities. All he's saying that, since the game doesn't really have any caps/limits like on how many Pokemon you can catch or eggs to hatch, he has ended up spending a lot of money to buy more Poke Balls and other supplies to catch all the Pokemon he comes across.

As freemium games go I would say the way Pokemon Go has done things is quite fair (if you can control yourself and applies limits). You can perfectly play through for free (granted if you live in an area where there's PokeStops you can readily get supplies from). I think its past stigmas from other "freemium" games that gave these type of games a bad name, ones where you pretty much got to pay to play/win.

EDIT: The honeymoon is officially over. I hope satisfying your ego instead of listening to players was worth it Niantic.

Last edited:
Cultural differences fam

In any case, I didn't realize it was a western thing, I just know I don't like it when games try to tell you they're "free," but then you play and you find its practically impossible to progress without spending the money. And I'm cheap lol. In general, I'm really picky about what I spend money on, especially since I'm not working at the moment, and Pokemon Go is just not something I need. I like it, but I sure as hell don't need it, so I don't wanna spend any money on it, especially when I don't technically have to. The problem is that I only live in walking distance of one pokestop, with absolutely no gyms in sight, and I don't have a car. I know the game encourages exploration, but I really don't want to walk too far from home. It'd be tiring, and I don't want to risk getting lost in an unfamiliar area. So right now, the game isn't that easy for me to play, unless I put the money in.

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At least there is a way in game to access the items you'd normally have to pay for via the gym defender bonus. It's not a ton but It's certainly better than nothing.

It's more that this person in particular didn't like them as they have an addictive personality and hence the Freemium model is actually bad for them personally.

I think fundamentally this is a very casual game and most people would mind their hard earned vaporeon being nerfed as opposed to x being buffed. Competitively vaporeon is op but most people don't think like that when they experience the joy of playing. Also the thing with pkmn go is people want constant hits to their reward centres and removing that constancy is a disaster for a game you need to keep open and thus prioritise over your other apps.

The radar has been a bungle from start to finish and impacted my enjoyment of this game a lot because I'm disabled and can't roam freely in a lot of areas, so I mostly play in the car and walk in likely locations. I was hoping they'd just correct the glitch with the Japanese release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)