Unpopular opinions

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I always tend to pick up about 36~60 MooMoo Milks when they become available, and then just buy some full heals etc at random points. I barely ever use them, but it's nice to have them in a pinch. I just stock up as the game progresses to the point where I have a complete medical bag thing going on. MooMoo Milks are the backbone of it though, I don't think there is any cheaper medicine.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Like DHR-107 and BladePrincess, I have a nice sized medical bag any time I can. I sort of have a system:

Healing Items:
1. Early game have at least one Potion per Pokemon, two if I can afford it.
2. When Super Potion becomes available & its before a vending machine, same as above.
3. By then I find a vending machine and I might as well just unplug the vending machine and carry around in my backpack. By then I have plenty of money so I buy 18 Water, 18 Soda Pop, and 18 Lemonades (3 each for my Pokemon). (BTW, GF, please let us buy this stuff in bulk. I know that's not real life but can we just assume my trainer picked the same choice multiple times instead of me actually doing it?)
4. Same once I get access to Moo Moo Milk.
5. Before Elite Four/Champion I buy 50 Full Restores because I can.

Curing Items:
1. When curatives become available I buy 3 Antidotes, 3 Paralyze Heals, and 3 Awakenings (if there is like a Fire-type Gym before Full Heals become available I may buy 3 of them before the Gym, however I usually skip on Burn Heals and Ice Heal since by the time you encounter these types you usually have access to Full Heal).
2. One Full Heals are available I buy 10 at a time, usually selling any other curative I have.
3. Before Elite Four/Champion I buy 50 Full Restores because I can.

Revives:
When I can finally afford it I try having a revive or two for each of my Pokemon. I buy like one extra for each before challenging the Elite Four.

Berries:
I never use Berries as I'm too lazy to plant them and remember where I plant them... except in XY. The Berry Fields was SO convenient, especially after getting Fly, I eventually was able to stop refreshing my supplies if I used them. PLEASE GF, bring back XY's version of the Berry Field and not that circular travesty you called a Berry Field in ORAS.

Ethers:
I never use them though never sell them, I just hoard them. Maybe I may use them in a pinch, but if I come to the end of the game I usually sell them as at that point I don't need them anymore. That said I still kind of wish GF made them available in some way, even if an item from marts (though they'd have to make them cheap enough to be worth it).

Though for games before Gen VI this was easy to do since you got nothing to spend your money on. But now that we have customization I find myself early game forcing myself to not buy any new clothes as I need money for healing items and then once I have enough I sparsely buy clothes. I'm just hoping they include the Amulet Coin and a money grinding spot in an early location like they did in XY (thinking about it several parts of XY had good planning design like the Berry Field and the money grinding location, both located on Route 7 which isn't that far deep into the game as you may think).

Like DHR-107 and BladePrincess, I have a nice sized medical bag any time I can. I sort of have a system:

Healing Items:
Early game have at least one Potion per Pokemon, two if I can afford it.
2. When Super Potion becomes available & its before a vending machine, same as above.
3. By then I find a vending machine and I might as well just unplug the vending machine and carry around in my backpack. By then I have plenty of money so I buy 18 Water, 18 Soda Pop, and 18 Lemonades (3 each for my Pokemon). (BTW, GF, please let us buy this stuff in bulk. I know that's not real life but can we just assume my trainer picked the same choice multiple times instead of me actually doing it?)
4. Same once I get access to Moo Moo Milk.
5. Before Elite Four/Champion I buy 50 Full Restores because I can.

Curing Items:
When curatives become available I buy 3 Antidotes, 3 Paralyze Heals, and 3 Awakenings (if there is like a Fire-type Gym before Full Heals become available I may buy 3 of them before the Gym, however I usually skip on Burn Heals and Ice Heal since by the time you encounter these types you usually have access to Full Heal).
2. One Full Heals are available I buy 10 at a time, usually selling any other curative I have.
3. Before Elite Four/Champion I buy 50 Full Restores because I can.

Revives:
When I can finally afford it I try having a revive or two for each of my Pokemon. I buy like one extra for each before challenging the Elite Four.

Berries:
I never use Berries as I'm too lazy to plant them and remember where I plant them... except in XY. The Berry Fields was SO convenient, especially after getting Fly, I eventually was able to stop refreshing my supplies if I used them. PLEASE GF, bring back XY's version of the Berry Field and not that circular travesty you called a Berry Field in ORAS.

Ethers:
I never use them though never sell them, I just hoard them. Maybe I may use them in a pinch, but if I come to the end of the game I usually sell them as at that point I don't need them anymore. That said I still kind of wish GF made them available in some way, even if an item from marts (though they'd have to make them cheap enough to be worth it).

Though for games before Gen VI this was easy to do since you got nothing to spend your money on. But now that we have customization I find myself early game forcing myself to not buy any new clothes as I need money for healing items and then once I have enough I sparsely buy clothes. I'm just hoping they include the Amulet Coin and a money grinding spot in an early location like they did in XY (thinking about it several parts of XY had good planning design like the Berry Field and the money grinding location, both located on Route 7 which isn't that far deep into the game as you may think).
I never have potions or anything else on hand until the elite 4, at which point I usually buy about 30 hyper potions, 10 full heals, and 15 revives. Even if I pick up healing items throughout the game I never even use them. The one exception to this would be while speed running, sometimes potions are necessary.

I always tend to pick up about 36~60 MooMoo Milks when they become available, and then just buy some full heals etc at random points. I barely ever use them, but it's nice to have them in a pinch. I just stock up as the game progresses to the point where I have a complete medical bag thing going on. MooMoo Milks are the backbone of it though, I don't think there is any cheaper medicine.
Fresh Water is cheaper actually. It heals 50 HP for 200 versus MooMoo Milk's 100 HP for 500. Of course there are no good bulk buying Fresh Water anymore.

I tend to constantly buy a stack of 10 Fresh Waters and then refill when I use them until I get to the Elite Four when I try to buy like 20 Revives and 20 Full Restores. After I beat the game I try to top off my Full Restores in order to make potential future Elite Four runs easier.

I usually use healing items on nuzlockes but only because I employ a strict no grinding policy on my playthroughs- at 21 it's hard enough to justify playing Pokemon, let alone spending 6 hours killing 1000 spearow so my charmeleon can take down Misty's starmie...

I'd like to buy dozens of healing items myself, but purchasing TMs and grabbing bonus Premier Balls have always been more important to me.
For the sake of buying a "souvenir," though, I always grab a few of the local specialties in my playthroughs: the Seashore House Soda Pop, MooMoo Milk straight from the Miltank family, Lava Cookies at Mt. Chimney, Lumiose Galettes, etc.

If there was one healing item aside from the above listed that I've learned to appreciate purchasing, it's the Revival Herb. I usually can't stand using a Max Revive for anything outside the final areas of the main game, so Revival Herbs are a good middle-ground item for when a plain old Revive isn't sufficient enough for healing.

------------------

Now if we were talking post-game, then yeah, you can surely see me stacking well over 100 of each HP-restoring item and Full Heal. Two Island in FireRed was like a paradise for me when I discovered it was possible buy MooMoo Milk and Lemonade in bulk.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If there was one healing item aside from the above listed that I've learned to appreciate purchasing, it's the Revival Herb. I usually can't stand using a Max Revive for anything outside the final areas of the main game, so Revival Herbs are a good middle-ground item for when a plain old Revive isn't sufficient enough for healing.
What are you, some kind of sadistic psychopath who'd beat your Pokémon up if they make any kind of mistake?

Last edited:
next Unpopular Opinion?
I don't get to use any healing items in my playthrough at all. Not because I want to handy cap myself but I have never seen the need to use them at any point at the game.

next Unpopular Opinion?
I don't get to use any healing items in my playthrough at all. Not because I want to handy cap myself but I have never seen the need to use them at any point at the game.
Yeah, they're not really necessary, but in games like gold and silver where id rather go into the Pokemon league with a low level team and use potions than grind for a few hours, they can be useful. Although in the newer games, with megas and the exp all and such, they've been rendered nearly completely unnecessary to me.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What are you, some kind of sadistic psychopath who'd beat your Pokémon up if they make any kind of mistake?
This makes me think if reviving was allowed in Nuzlockes that this is exactly what TFS Gaming would do on their Nuzlocke playthroughs.

*One of their Pokemon faints*
Lanipator: Dammit, give it a Revival Herb.
Kirran: I picture us we're just shoving the herb down its throat and it reviving with a horrible taste in its mouth.
*Give the fainted Pokemon the Revivial Herb*
Grant *pretending to be the fainted Pokemon*: *Cough cough* Oh god, what did you put in my mouth when I was asleep?
Lanipator: DISCIPLINE! Punishment for fainting. The weak will perish, only the strong will survive.

Because why not? It doesn't exactly cost any extra and it's not as if it takes a lot more time purchasing 10 at a time rather than 34 or whatever you wanted.
What I meant was its neat, but not something that is really important to go after. I get the 11 > 10 argument.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Because why not? It doesn't exactly cost any extra and it's not as if it takes a lot more time purchasing 10 at a time rather than 34 or whatever you wanted.
Which honestly is a bit BS. You can't make it so if I buy 34 Pokeballs that I get 3 Premier Balls? I have to buy it in increments of 10 to get the extra few free Poke Balls? Though I did like it in XY the Poke Ball Shop let you buy Premier Balls (an buying them for some reason increased your "fashionable meter" so was an easy way to get into the fancy clothing shop).

I don't get this because an extra Pokeball is neat but why would you go out of your way to get one?
I like to identify my in-game team members with Premier Balls, that's all (the poor starter Pokémon gets no choice, unfortunately). It's just a preference.

Nah, just someone who's prefers getting things done in-game with underleveled Pokémon. If one important team member faints mid-battle against a high-level opponent, then the rest will fall down like dominoes if I don't fully recover that fainted member fast, and I don't want that, of course.

On healing items:
I always buy far more than I need. It was only my last playthrough (a fun Team Rocket romp through X) that I finally resisted the urge to buy 100 of each healing item before the Elite Four.

On Premiere Balls:
I always buy standard Poké Balls in batches of 10. There's no reason not to get that extra ball (this would make my mother proud since that is exactly what she would do).

This makes me think if reviving was allowed in Nuzlockes that this is exactly what TFS Gaming would do on their Nuzlocke playthroughs.

*One of their Pokemon faints*
Lanipator: Dammit, give it a Revival Herb.
Kirran: I picture us we're just shoving the herb down its throat and it reviving with a horrible taste in its mouth.
*Give the fainted Pokemon the Revivial Herb*
Grant *pretending to be the fainted Pokemon*: *Cough cough* Oh god, what did you put in my mouth when I was asleep?
Lanipator: DISCIPLINE! Punishment for fainting. The weak will perish, only the strong will survive.
I can hear them so clearly!

The thing that's especially annoying about Mega Shinies being bad is that previously in the series, Shinies' colours were mostly decided by a simply algorithm of whatever colour was next to the base Pokémon's colour in the palette. Which made sense; aside from maybe a few standouts it saves a lot of work and effort to just wire it that way.
But since we don't have sprites anymore, Game Freak don't have that luxury. They have to manually choose the colours. This has resulted in some really cool things like Greninja, Aegislash and Mega Gengar... but then things like Mega Charizard X are a real headscratcher. This isn't just an unfortunate side effect of the algorithm you made; you specifically chose those colours manually.
And while Noibat is this nice turquoise color, Noivern does not look good with the red wing membranes and ears!

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
/me reads the previous page

New unpopular opinion. I actually do like buying healing items in bulk when possible. Imo, they're more necessary early game than they are late game.

Late game, you'll usually have the level advantage and a team with a good mix of type coverage to handle most threats. You also have Fly for easy access to a Pokemon center, and you'll be receiving a good number of healing items through field items. Early game, your choices for Pokemon and moves are limited, you likely won't be that over-leveled (unless you're only using your starter), and you have to walk to a Pokemon center when you need healing.

Plus, having potions and full heals for the random crit/status hax is never a bad thing.

/me reads the previous page

New unpopular opinion. I actually do like buying healing items in bulk when possible. Imo, they're more necessary early game than they are late game.

Late game, you'll usually have the level advantage and a team with a good mix of type coverage to handle most threats. You also have Fly for easy access to a Pokemon center, and you'll be receiving a good number of healing items through field items. Early game, your choices for Pokemon and moves are limited, you likely won't be that over-leveled (unless you're only using your starter), and you have to walk to a Pokemon center when you need healing.

Plus, having potions and full heals for the random crit/status hax is never a bad thing.
Oh, I agree. It's just usually when I do so, it's late game and I have buy more than I will ever need over multiple playthroughs, let alone this one.

I really like pokemon based off of real world objects e.g. Chandelure, vannilluxe and I really like the new sand castle pokemon. GF are really creative with these in the typing I find...
I do like quite a few inanimate Pokemon (including the new one that we shouldn't talk about here probs), but I also really dislike quite a few too. Pretty hit or miss in my opinion.

I'm not sure about the sand castle Pokemon aesthetically. So far, I think he's ugly, but Ghost/Ground ain't bad, and I love the back story that they suck the life force out of unsuspecting victims, and turn them into mini me's! So whether I like him will depend on how he does in battle!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)