Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine, in the name of SCIENCE(!) I'll agree the first (fossil) dino Pokemon weren't introduced until Gen IV.
What is really funny is the abundance of non-fossil dinos introduced before gen 4, like Meganium and Sceptile. So a bunch of Dinos died out (Rampardos, Tyrantrum etc) but Sceptile and Meganium survive and go all the way to the present day? xD

But just cause I agree with ya doesn't mean I'm not going to troll a little. ;P
Touche xD.

So why can't they "pokemonify" the Mosasaur and/or Megalodon?
Well I personally see it as Anomalacaris and Eurypterids have a lot of features to work with, so more to muck with. Megalodon and Mosasaurs are just kinda, plain and lacking features. I mean one is just literally a big version of a Great White.
I mean they could pokemonify them and would if they use them, but a lot more creatures have more to work with, like Dunkelosteus.

This is all assuming we actually get fossils. S/M isn't following a lot of the conventional formulas other Pokemon games have. It wouldn't be to surprising to assume fossils might not appear at all in S/M.
Also the fact there aren't many cool extinct hawaiian species (And they are trying really hard on making everything they can fit in a hawaiian setting, unlike other gens)... though that "duck with a beak-blade" thing could be nice... maybe "Farfetch'd's cool ancestor"?

This is all assuming we actually get fossils. S/M isn't following a lot of the conventional formulas other Pokemon games have. It wouldn't be to surprising to assume fossils might not appear at all in S/M.
Actually speaking of that, I decided to look up Hawaiian dinosaurs and got this reminder - there aren't really any dinosaurs in Hawaii because Hawaii did not form until after their extinction. So if there would be any generation since Gen II not to include fossil types - this is the one.

Oh great.
More Hyper Training news.
It's not that Hyper Training is bad, it's just that even a single mention of it in a competitive Pokemon-related thread will do nothing but cause a giant shitstorm.

e: Summary of the fandom's reaction to Hyper Training

Last edited:
By the same token, there could be more then two fossils this time around, and there could be a nature reserve of sorts. We know that fossil pokémon are not, in fact, extinct in the anime, nor was every example a 'revived' specimen, so it's also a possibility that could eventually be built into the games.

I'm not denying that it's impossible that they'll drop the fossil trend, but of everything they could shake up with the formula, dropping fossil pokémon altogether seems like an unnecessary decision

I think it's important to remember that just because a region is based on a certain real-world location doesn't mean they have to strictly follow the local flora/fauna. These games do have an overtly tropical theme/Hawaiian theme, but they've already broken this before such as Komala (Australia), Carvanha (Amazon), etc.

While we're on the topic of type diversity, I'd really like for them to continue expanding the electric type. Part of the reason I love Tapu-Koko, apart from its kickass design, is that it has a secondary typing not seen before with Electric. As it stands, Electric types have generally been either pure, electric/flying, or Rotom. Let's switch things up a bit.

I think it's important to remember that just because a region is based on a certain real-world location doesn't mean they have to strictly follow the local flora/fauna. These games do have an overtly tropical theme/Hawaiian theme, but they've already broken this before such as Komala (Australia), Carvanha (Amazon), etc.

While we're on the topic of type diversity, I'd really like for them to continue expanding the electric type. Part of the reason I love Tapu-Koko, apart from its kickass design, is that it has a secondary typing not seen before with Electric. As it stands, Electric types have generally been either pure, electric/flying, or Rotom. Let's switch things up a bit.

Forgetting someone?

I have a question. I remember, I don’t know if it’s true, some time ago a Game Freak high-up said there would never again be evolutions nor pre-evolutions for Pokémon that already exist. I’m not entirely sure, but I remember it. This was around Gen V, and we haven’t had any evolution nor pre-evolution of any existing Pokémon (except for Sylveon). Can anyone confirm?

Remember that time where companies stuck to their word. Yeah, me neither.

It's always possible for cross gen evolutions to come back and Sylveon is proof (Eevee may be special, but it is still a cross gen evo)

If there are any fossils, and I am cool if there aren't, then I do kinda hope they are just Deep Sea Pokemon Fossils. Regardless, it would be cool if the Alola Islands were similar to Hawaii and a scientist explains that the lack of fossils is due to the islands not being around back then.

If there are fossils, I need a Leopleurodon one so I can finally find Candy Mountain.
Also the fact there aren't many cool extinct hawaiian species (And they are trying really hard on making everything they can fit in a hawaiian setting, unlike other gens)... though that "duck with a beak-blade" thing could be nice... maybe "Farfetch'd's cool ancestor"?
Or they could give Farfetch'd a sorely needed evolution that makes up for the years of distress the poor duck's been through... Then again, a link between a less dino-esque fossil 'mon and a more current one would be interesting.

Oh great.
It's not that Hyper Training is bad, it's just that even a single mention of it in a competitive Pokemon-related thread will do nothing but cause a giant shitstorm.

I still don't entirely get it for reasons that have been so throughly trampled into the ground that the dead horse resembles a pancake. To comment on the news: I think a lot of people assumed it would raise all stats, but this seems to be more direct confirmation that it does so. I would say it also indicates that there is a finite amount in the game (which, imo, is most likely true given that they are said to be rare) but the only Silver Bottle Cap we know about is held by the event Magearna, so I don't think it is a clear indication. Odds are Bottle Caps will be held by most event pokemon this gen, if i had to guess.

Oh great.

Which is resumed brilliantly by the Video Games Specific link of said page.

• Hyper Training now allows you to increase the IVS of your Pokémon without the need to breed/soft reset? The competitive scene is ruined! Game Freak doesn't care about us competitive fans anymore!
Because people clearly don't grasp the concept that Hyper Training can actually help breeding rather than making it obsolete, so that you don't spend hours hunting down that specific Ditto or some other specific Pokémon with decent stats all around.

Last edited:
So... we have Silver, which raises one IV to 31 and Gold, which raises all of them to 31.

Still wondering if we'll have other caps that can lower IVs. I'd say it's possible, as Trick Room is a perfectly viable and common strategy in doubles, so they should take it into account.

Well I personally see it as Anomalacaris and Eurypterids have a lot of features to work with, so more to muck with. Megalodon and Mosasaurs are just kinda, plain and lacking features. I mean one is just literally a big version of a Great White.
I mean they could pokemonify them and would if they use them, but a lot more creatures have more to work with, like Dunkelosteus.
While I could somewhat see your point with Megalodon (but not really, Sharpedo is far from occupying entirily the shark niche... Look at all the frogs or cats we have), I totally disagree with mosasaurs. We don't have anything similar to mosasaurs in Pokémon, so it's fairly easy to do something original. I've never seen "simple design" as a problem in Pokémon. I'd love to see a Dunkleosteus or a pliosaur too, though.

That said, I would really like to see "original forms" of fossils, somewhat like Alola forms: many fossil mons could perform much better with something else instead of their rock typing. A "safari zone" for revived fossils would be incredibly cool.

Actually speaking of that, I decided to look up Hawaiian dinosaurs and got this reminder - there aren't really any dinosaurs in Hawaii because Hawaii did not form until after their extinction. So if there would be any generation since Gen II not to include fossil types - this is the one.
I was thinking the exact same thing. To my knowledge, vulcanic islands aren't old enough to preserve many fossils, and the few that they do have are usually from corals or molluscs which aren't anywhere near as old as actual fossils. This actually makes me think of a primal corsola haha, wouldn't that be funny?

I was thinking the exact same thing. To my knowledge, vulcanic islands aren't old enough to preserve many fossils, and the few that they do have are usually from corals or molluscs which aren't anywhere near as old as actual fossils. This actually makes me think of a primal corsola haha, wouldn't that be funny?
With a "Super Regenerator" ability that restores all its HP after switching out.

... I bet not even that would save it from being terrible.

Has there been any first series games that has ever had legendaries from another region appear (even postgame) it would be really cool to see Pokemon like Heatran and Entei appear in regions where there actually are volcanoes!

Has there been any first series games that has ever had legendaries from another region appear (even postgame) it would be really cool to see Pokemon like Heatran and Entei appear in regions where there actually are volcanoes!
Articuno Zapdos Moltres in XY count?
The Kanto birds even were around in Diamond and Pearl. I think I read somewhere they migrated because of some reasons. And Heatran was also in B2W2 (and in ORAS).

Also Mewtwo in the Pokemon Sanctuary.

i couldn't find a note of them in Diamond and Pearl, are you sure?
I am 100% positive you can find the Legendary Bird Trio in D/P after beating the main game. Nvm, it was Platinum, I goofed up.

On a more relevant note, I'd like to talk about the QR codes and their implementation in the pokedex. We know that we can read a QR code and register its corresponding pokemon ( whether it is a full registration or just 'seen' remains unknown) in our Dex, but according to the most recent news they also make it so we can 'easily' find said pokemon in the wild. Does anyone else also feel as if this is a replacement for the DexNav and that it'll perhaps work in a similar fashion? I really hope that's the case because I don't wanna go back to the days when I'd have no control over which pokemon would pop up out of the tall grass next.

I am 100% positive you can find the Legendary Bird Trio in D/P after beating the main game. Nvm, it was Platinum, I goofed up.

On a more relevant note, I'd like to talk about the QR codes and their implementation in the pokedex. We know that we can read a QR code and register its corresponding pokemon ( whether it is a full registration or just 'seen' remains unknown) in our Dex, but according to the most recent news they also make it so we can 'easily' find said pokemon in the wild. Does anyone else also feel as if this is a replacement for the DexNav and that it'll perhaps work in a similar fashion? I really hope that's the case because I don't wanna go back to the days when I'd have no control over which pokemon would pop up out of the tall grass next.
If it is an alternative, I just hope that hunting in caves/while surfing won't be as painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)