Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As someone who lives less than ten miles from a nuclear power plant I can safely say that in case of meltdown I am less afraid of radiation than I am of people getting pissed about power outages

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that nuclear plants never reach critical mass so that's something too

The radioactive materials in a nuclear reactor are spaced apart in such a way that a major collapse of the reactor from all sides or someone getting in multiple layers of hazmat material and moving all of the materials into one location (which would take hours) for the materials to reach a critical mass. Even then, it's much more likely that the materials would just melt into the ground instead of a large explosion. Even if there was an explosion, it wouldn't be that large because the ground immediately absorbs half of the blast. Nuclear Weapons are usually detonated 500~1000m above the ground to maximize destructive impact. Consequently, this vastly reduces the amount of nuclear fallout discharged across the surrounding areas, because most of it goes into the stratosphere. A ground detonation (akin to Chernobyl or the hypothetical power plant critical mass scenario) would discharge tons of fallout into the air, rendering the surrounding areas uninhabitable for years. This is also why you wouldn't get a hyper-radioactive world as seen in the Fallout universe (rip rad roaches). Also, as said before, the vast majority of operations in a Nuclear Power plant these days are automated. Neutron-absorbing control rods automatically shut down the reaction if something goes wrong. After Chernobyl everyone went ape shit about power plant safety. (RIP Fukushima tho)

^The above has nothing to do with the actual thread topic
Basically I'm eating popcorn at this point watching the two crappy candidates advertise how their opponent is crappy until the debates, which will probably be a shitshow

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
there's also the fact that reactors don't have nearly the amount of enriched fissile material required to yield a true nuclear explosion. "detonating" a nuclear facility simply doesn't make sense.

statistically, your friendly neighborhood nuclear reactor is safer than your car.

hyw

Banned deucer.
Didn't mean to cause such a digression, but you guys misunderstood my post. My words weren't meant to advocate ignorance of measures taken to secure these facilities, but rather, to convey the idea that said measures fail to eliminate the principle danger that this technology represents.

I realize both that it's unrealistic to abandon our reliance on nuclear power, and that living in a society so rapidly advancing comes with its growing pains. But, at the same time, it's disingenuous to sell this false sense of security as though the "myriad of safeguards" are sufficient. Certainly, they are anything but "fail safe."

The inevitability of our reliance obliges us not to blow out of proportion the safety of our reality.

Take Fukushima, for example, which happened just five years ago. Those facilities were designed to resist natural disasters. Namely, earthquakes and tsunamis, common occurrences in the Pacific Ocean. My choice of diction in "WMD" and "detonation" were too strong and misleading, I concede this, but in the end, TEPCO and the Japanese government promised its people that the walls they'd established would block out any water and that, for reasons you guys mentioned above, earthquakes couldn't pose a threat; then what happened? Who's to say an identical scenario couldn't happen to our plants on the West Coast? Who's to say hijackers of a domestic passenger flight couldn't crash it into a reactor complex (this actually almost happened in Tennessee in 1972, lol, except the ransom demands were met 1.5 mile before impact)? The message I hoped to deliver was that, however unlikely, there in fact exists a cause for concern regarding such risks.

I'm actually happy to see that everyone seems to view our dependence of nuclear energy as hunky dory since, ultimately, the benefits overwhelmingly outweigh the demerits, and, most likely, nothing like Fukushima would ever actually occur over here. But claiming that internal meltdowns, shifting the means of operations from humans to artificial intelligence, incidents of natural disasters, and so on couldn't result in something bad is mendacious.

Can anyone tell me what the origin of this 'alt-right' term is?

At best I think it's a Clinton mechanism to convince 'true' republicans that the party has shifted from under them, and convince some republicans to vote for her. It seems strange for it to have caught so much traction so fast.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
its a rightwing populist movement thats playing on identity politics to capture middle class white people cuz it more or less began as a white nationalist movement. regarding that second bit, its safe to say that the alt whas been a thing for decades so its not anything new, its not a clinton mechanism lmao. the term alt-right came about in like 2008 by a white nationalist thinktank headed by richard spencer, a dude who has only just tip-toed around calling for genocide of non-whites in europe and na

its caught traction so fast because before now its only been just another fringe meme-tier political movement but the brexit movement, the reemergence of neo-nationalist movements in europe (shoutouts greece and the golden dawn party), and trumps continued (maybe unintentional?) support / sympathy for altright talking points brought it to the mainstream of political discourse

i'd blame /pol/ but afaik they only pretend to be fascists

Google trends shows rather constant usage from 2004 until right about when Trump started his campaign. Not seeing anything from ~2008.

The term has really peaked in the last month, or last 4 days specifically.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah, its been around on the lowkey as a more tasteful term for ethno-nationalist white supremacists since even before that, proliferated by organizations like the american renaissance, stormfront, and the new century foundation as a more "pc" way of identifying themselves as white supremacists in all but name. but it more or less got branded as an "official" name in 08 cuz of this douchebag

you can also think of it as a right-wing group that isn't centralised around christianity like the GOP is

there's also a wiki page on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
The alt-right and the right wing in the US seem to have the exact same voters. ~40% of the country.

It's hard to think of it as a right-wing group that isn't centralized around christianity when it has all the same supporters as the very similar right-wing group centralized around christianity. Outside the US that description probably has merit.

Relados

fractactical genius
Alt-right is very mixed on Christianity. Some supporters definitely support it, some are adamant against religion, some don't see it as part of their ideology as a political movement.

Right now alt-right is kinda a big tent movement, enclosing basic nationalism in some cases to the far off extremes of Stormfront in others. Even among its members there's still debate on what exactly they stand for. Nationalism and isolationism are probably the root tenants (and yes, white nationalism is a significant part of it).

It grew in /pol/ (it's not always irony) by conglomerating members of right libertarianism, neoreactionary movements and disenfranchised Republican and paleoconservative voters. It just now hit the mainstream media, thanks to Hillary, after growing strong on the fringes, thanks to Trump. It hasn't entirely taken in all conservative voters (most notably, the traditionalists of the GOP), but it has drawn a significant number of them.

Relados

fractactical genius
how big is /pol/? Is it even in the thousands?
/pol/ doesn't keep public user statistics, the best you can get is this page showing number of posts by country.. The alt-right subreddit has over 2k subscribers, and that's a small insignificant subreddit. The alt-right aligned websites are larger by an order of magnitude, maybe two (Stormfront on the far-right enclosure of the alt-right had 50k active guests in the last day, and has 300k registered users).

Last edited:

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Well, trump isn't even president and he managed to talk to the Mexican president. The wall is mutually beneficial: it keeps drugs out of the us, guns out of Mexico, and will weaken gangs in both countries.
This is assuming a wall works, but in theory its a good idea. Trump came across as very professional today, which is why the mainstream media will probably try to ignore that this ever happened.
Full disclosure : i support gary johnson but would vote trump over hillary in a 2 person race

Last edited:

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
the war on drugs is bad and the wall is a massively expensive and ineffective expansion of it if we build it i will shoot myself in the fucking head or move

edit: there are reasons this is but im not gonna say them, just it (the "war") is horrible and racist and ineffective and just awful please take my word for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)