Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like mono types :< it's just harder for them to stand out, since they have to do it via ability, stats, movepool and flavour. Water is the toughest one to do this with IMO. But anybody suggesting Reuniclus would be better as Psychic/Fairy or Slaking as Normal/Fighting is missing the point of types! Variety means every flavour, even vanilla.

That said I totally thought Rockruff was Normal/Rock until the last page brought up the topic. I still want to use it ingame, especially if Minior doesn't evolve. Which reminds me: I thought of Minior as a pretty typical standalone Pokemon, until I remembered we thought the same of Honedge until Doublade came along. Maybe this will be the year I double up on all of my ingame team typings??

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know ^_^. I don't keep up with VGC lol.
Neither do I :P

But in case you have any doubts about a Pokemon in the future, think on something like this: "If not everyone can get it, it's possibly banned"

(Though that fails to explain why Deoxys was still banned despite Delta Episode)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/09-01-2016/

Nintendo Direct is coming on the 1st of September. We presume that this will host new information for the new games, but the content is not confirmed. As the last few times have been leaked a day early, I will be opening the thread in the morning (About 10 hours or so from now). If anything happens in the mean time, PM CRoll and I and we will deal with it in the morning :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Looks around* Well I guess if I'm going to be the first to post after the recent lock down I should bring up something with substance. Let's see what's going around the rumor bin... Oh, here's something that's not spoilerific.

So there seems to be hints this Nintendo Direct's Pokemon segment may reveal the Starter's middle/1st stage evolutions. The theory stems around that this was also around the same time XY's Starters got their evolutions revealed and some of the official Nintendo and Pokemon twitters are asking players what they think the Starter's evolutions will look like. If this is true it could for once and for all put to bed whether those leaked final evos have any legitimacy to them.

Do you think there's any credence to this theory?
Would you like to see the evolutions or would you prefer to be kept in the dark completely?
Is there any other news you'd like to hear about like Mega Evolutions or Rockruff's special connection with the starters

So there seems to be hints this Nintendo Direct's Pokemon segment may reveal the Starter's middle/1st stage evolutions. The theory stems around that this was also around the same time XY's Starters got their evolutions revealed and some of the official Nintendo and Pokemon twitters are asking players what they think the Starter's evolutions will look like. If this is true it could for once and for all put to bed whether those leaked final evos have any legitimacy to them.
Please tell me there were absolute savages on twitter who posted the starter final evolution leaks that have basically been confirmed to be real.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Please tell me there were absolute savages on twitter who posted the starter final evolution leaks that have basically been confirmed to be real.
Yeah, people have been posting them and the various other "leaked" final evos. Note the twitter I'm looking at is in French so I don't know what all responses are saying (and I don't want to send them through a translator) so I'll just post my favorite of the pics on their (don't worry, nothing spoiler-y, at least I don't think so):

Fighting-type for all!

Considering how the recent anime went I wouldn't be surprised.

Behold, how Synchro Evolutions would actually turn out.

If you want to see the other posts you can click here. Spoiler warning obviously.

Yes the tread is back open. Here is a theory that I hope can cause some meaningful discussion(cough cough last few pages cough cough). The recent leaks have me thinking about Rockruff's evolution and connection to z-moves. What if...Z-stones are made by Rockruff, what if they are a byproduct of its evolution and they correspond to its hidden power type. What if the phases of the moon have nothing to do with its secondary typing and its secondary type is determined by its hidden power type. Now I know some people are going to be sceptical(trust I'm sceptical myself)but everything seemed to add up to me. And if what I say turns out to be true, hidden power FAIRY confirmed. Boom I just blew your mind didn't I.

Yes the tread is back open. Here is a theory that I hope can cause some meaningful discussion(cough cough last few pages cough cough). The recent leaks have me thinking about Rockruff's evolution and connection to z-moves. What if...Z-stones are made by Rockruff, what if they are a byproduct of its evolution and they correspond to its hidden power type. What if the phases of the moon have nothing to do with its secondary typing and its secondary type is determined by its hidden power type. Now I know some people are going to be sceptical(trust I'm sceptical myself)but everything seemed to add up to me. And if what I say turns out to be true, hidden power FAIRY confirmed. Boom I just blew your mind didn't I.
Not gonna lie, this sounds like an extreme stretch. I'm not quite sure where you got this theory from, but I'd be really surprised if it were true. That being said, I would have said this about things like no gyms and hyper training a few months ago. I just don't see rockruff being that big of a player, I mean z moves seem like the "new mechanic" of the gen and I think rockruff would be hyped through the sky if he had something major to do with them. I guess we'll see tho

I wonder if Zygarde's complete forme is going to be accessible outside of his 10% forme's ability. It would suck for a design like his to be so limited in its use (also as a side note his Complete forme reminds me way too much of Perfect Cell)

Not gonna lie, this sounds like an extreme stretch. I'm not quite sure where you got this theory from, but I'd be really surprised if it were true. That being said, I would have said this about things like no gyms and hyper training a few months ago. I just don't see rockruff being that big of a player, I mean z moves seem like the "new mechanic" of the gen and I think rockruff would be hyped through the sky if he had something major to do with them. I guess we'll see tho
Thank you for the ahem constructive criticism you just don't see that on the internet anymore. I know what you mean dude. The main reason I came with that theory is the fact that Rockruff's collar has stone that look identical to Z-Crystal and it has just been bothering me so much that there isn't an explanation for it. I mean with all the rock designs they could have used for Rockruff the chose that one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't quite see where it adds up. Let's break it down:

Z-Crystals are a byproduct of Rockruff evolving: So let's first assume Z-Crystals that your Pokemon hold is consumable. If we want to constantly be using Z-Moves, regardless of type, we'd have to catch a ton of Rockruff and evolve them? Then what, release the evolutions? This seems completely unnecessary. This actually sounds like something they were planning on doing in Black & White. Originally to access the Dream World you would need Dream Smoke which you would get from Munna (the item still exists in the game code but it can't be used). However either the intention was the player would have to catch a Munna and, not wanting to force the player to catch a Pokemon they wouldn't want for the sake of using a new advertised feature, scrapped the idea or there would be someplace the player would go to find Dream Smoke but saw this as an unnecessary step and scrapped it. Forcing a player to catch a Pokemon in order to access a new advertised feature only adds an unnecessary step and possibly ire towards the Pokemon. I would even would argue this goes against the concept of Pokemon, the Pokemon you catch you're meant to bond with, not mass catch in order to serve a single duty. And before you bring it up, players hatching hundreds of Eggs is their choice, all they get out of it is a stronger Pokemon. Mass catching and evolving Rockruffs resulting in a one-use consumable item for a new advertised feature is, by the designers view, making the player regard Rockruffs as mere Z-Crystal fodder and not a creature we should be making friends with.
The reason leaked info said Rockruff's evolution was linked to the moon was because its evolution is based on a werewolf. I'm going to guess that you read somewhere it'll get a second typing based on the phases of the moon. You have instead taken the second typing idea but said it's maybe from its Hidden Power.
The problem with this is that you assumed Rockruff's evolution getting a second type is a constant/confirmed. It is not, its connected with the moon evolution "leak". Either the leak is right or the leak is wrong, eitherway it means your theory can't work.

And Why Hidden Power: And why link the evolution to Hidden Power of all things. To justify changing Hidden Power to include Normal and Fairy-type? First if they're going to do that they don't need a story/new mechanic reason. Also that would kinda of devalue Z-Moves as an new mechanic that exists to be an excuse to change something rather then a new innovation. Second linking anything to Hidden Power is stupid as, going back to my first point, if you want a Z-Crystal of a certain type you're going to have to catch Rockruff like mad hoping to get at least one with the Hidden Power type you want (and if they're consumable and you want to use the Z-Move multiple times that's even more catching). Or you could waste time breeding Rockruffs to get the desired Hidden Power type which is still no better as its still an unnecessary extra step needed to use a new advertised mechanic.

Rockruff & Starters: Finally, the special thing about Rockruff only relates to the Starters. Where's is this theorized connection to Z-Moves coming from? The Starters aren't connected to Z-Moves, so neither would Rockruff.

Look, I can't say whether you're right or wrong, but I would say you need more evidence to make an elaborate theory like this sound plausible besides the stones in Rockruff's mane resembling the shape of Z-Crystals. Sometimes designs just match-up. For example Anistar's Sundial looks like something that was made by Diancie so people thought Diancie had something to do with Mega Evolutions. As it turns out it didn't, Diancie and Mega Evolutions have no connection that we know of aside that it has a Mega Evolution.

I wonder if Zygarde's complete forme is going to be accessible outside of his 10% forme's ability. It would suck for a design like his to be so limited in its use (also as a side note his Complete forme reminds me way too much of Perfect Cell)
50% also will get Power Construct so in that case it will. However I don't think we'll ever see it just as its Complete Forme.

And Perfect Cell?

Very vaguely? Though that's just me, apparently you're not alone going off a Google search:

Personally I think Zygarde Complete looks like a Digimon. I know that has been said about multiple Pokemon but Zygarde is the first one to make me think it. Would probably would fit right in with the Royal Knights.

BUT WE'RE GETTING OFF TRACK! (And this thread was only recently unlocked). We still got under 9 more hours till new news (btw don't forget to live chat on Smogon's IRC channel, I'll try to be there).

annddd I had a dream that made me wake up this early, apparently in my dream alolan coffagrigus was revealed and they gave an item that buffed all the starters, was hyped because Infernape.

sigh....I can't see myself going back to sleep. Though Z Crystals that have special effects for specific Pokemon would be amazing.

Oh, c'mon. An extinct mammalian, maybe an ape or humanoid Pokémon would be nice!
Fossilmons could use a humanoid as it has never been done before. I always envisioned a Rock/Normal fossil to be caveman inspired(a shame Feraligatr ditches that motif from Croconaw). If Gamefreak doesn't want to go with the obvious route, a Homo Sapien would be great too.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks the Nintendo Direct will not really show anything new? It's dedicated to 3DS games, so my expectations are it'll just go over upcoming 3DS launches for christmas and, while Sun/Moon will probably be mentioned, not go over anything new and show off some game footage. (But will probably tell us when to expect new info next.)

Of course, in showing some gameplay footage, we may see something we haven't seen before.

Edit: Pikachu315111 I still think that Rockruff's evolution is based on which starter you pick, based on them mentioning the starters when talking about Rockruff having a secret.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks the Nintendo Direct will not really show anything new? It's dedicated to 3DS games, so my expectations are it'll just go over upcoming 3DS launches for christmas and, while Sun/Moon will probably be mentioned, not go over anything new and show off some game footage. (But will probably tell us when to expect new info next.)

Of course, in showing some gameplay footage, we may see something we haven't seen before.

Edit: Pikachu315111 I still think that Rockruff's evolution is based on which starter you pick, based on them mentioning the starters when talking about Rockruff having a secret.
Well, Masuda just retweeted the Nintendo Direct announcement, so we can at least expect there to be some news about Pokémon. Personally, I'm hoping for a spinoff of some kind to be announced, but I'll stop there before I get into wish listing territory. We'll just have to wait and see, only half an hour to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)