Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think if it's right place to start wishlisting, but I really think Ice should resist Water and maybe Dragon.

For Bug Type, just remove the resistance of Fighting types and add better Physical Option (Megahorn is not well distributed, X Scissor is weak). For the Special Side, Bug Buzz is ok.

Rock Types are already solid, but they could gain a resistance to Ice (Ice is already a good offensive type)

And for Psychic, it's meh ... Resistance to Poison attacks maybe ... ?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
3.2 GB makes me wonder how much of it is actually content and not cutscenes.

The Festival Plaza's got a circular street. I wonder if this means a hatching spot...

Ash-Greninja being in the games is pretty neat. Others may not like it, but I don't mind the anime/game world overlap that much. Remember Steven and the shiny Beldum you got in ORAS? This one's kinda like that, and they both involve event Pokemon too. It would appear that the rare Greninjas who mastered Battle Bond permanently maintain the forme that resembles the trainer they mastered it with. Thus, that Greninja will continue being Ash-Greninja in the hands of other trainers. And unlike Ash, we can't activate the bond phenomenon at will :(.

Sidetracking a bit because I want to address this quickly and because everyone's already addressed what I want to say about the Oct4 reveals (there really wasn't much :()

I may be wrong, but haven't there been hardly any relevant Fairy-types in VGC? Can't see them nerfing the type (Other than Xerneas, which I think would have been a beast with any other good offensive type, given its sheer power) if it's not relevant enough. Dragon had those Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors with only Shedinja being immune to it, for instance.
What? Fairies were some of the strongest mons in VGC

2014 there was Mawile. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to 2014 so I can't tell how strong fairies are here
2015 had Sylveon/Garde nuked a bunch of things with Hyper Voice.
2016...there's almost no better type Xerneas could've asked for. Nevermind the part where Geomancy is a ridiculous move already, Fairy gave it incredible mono coverage and a few important defensive capabilities because most other fairies aren't good.

Dragon Gem Draco may have nuked things in Gen 5, but overall it wasn't as powerful as the consistent, high powered safe spread moves that the more recent fairies have access to

Last edited:
DHR-107 Crystal Broski, I had thought of it being a risk (if Ultra Beasts are fightable bosses, they will appear in Pokemon data) but was wondering if they will have that sort of thing better separated. Obviously best course would be to avoid it altogether, but you know what they said about felines and that mars landrover.

On topic: Ash-Greninja is an event pokemon. It isn't entirely canon broskis, so it is chill. And yeah, fairies have made an impact on the last three vgc years with one per year holding the spotlight

Someone has kindly tried to document all the old gen Pokemon that have appeared in the trailers and promotional material. There are some obscure references missing, such as the Electrode on Sophocles's keychain, but this seems like a pretty comprehensive list:

http://pastebin.com/XhLCLiLm

As the pastebin points out, every mon except for Blaziken that was revealed in X/Y promotional material ended up being in the Kalos Dex. From the list, we already know over 200 of the Pokemon that most likely will be in the Alolan Dex. That's quite big of a sneak peak.

Someone has kindly tried to document all the old gen Pokemon that have appeared in the trailers and promotional material. There are some obscure references missing, such as the Electrode on Sophocles's keychain, but this seems like a pretty comprehensive list:

From the list, we already know over 200 of the Pokemon that most likely will be in the Alolan Dex. That's quite big of a sneak peak.
Wow, they're bringing back the absurdly large Dex from X/Y. Not complaining though, a large Dex allows for your in-game team to be more diverse.

As the pastebin points out, every mon except for Blaziken that was revealed in X/Y promotional material ended up being in the Kalos Dex. From the list, we already know over 200 of the Pokemon that most likely will be in the Alolan Dex. That's quite big of a sneak peak.
I noticed we still haven't seen Far'fetched there. Can that hint at a possible Alolan form? I mean if there is the definition of a First Gen under preforming pokemon its our HM slave Far'Fetched. I know I bring it up a few times but I do wish he gets some love, maybe becomes a Samurai Duck Fighting/Flying? or an offensive Steel/Flying?

I guess that is up to Nexus and the other main researchers/guys who get the dumps.

Any dumps may contain spoilers. Don't whinge if you go into a dump thread and get spoiled.

End of. I'm not sure how they will split them (if at all). But I assume that one of us who is courageous enough can go in and get JUST the Pokemon data for those who want to know. Pokemon Data is nearly always top of the list though so... It'll probably come before anything else.

Anyway: Back to discussing other aspects of the reveals on the 4th please :)
so have dumps started appearing?

Agreed. For me it depends how useful it is for building competitive 'mons. Super Training in Gen VI was amazingly helpful for a n00b like me, and it also gave you the opportunity to reset if you mucked up, or if you suddenly discovered you'd been using a pokemon in your story mode party that would actually be really good to have EV trained. I recently played through ORAS and found out the Manectric I was using had the IVs for HP Grass. Of course I probably won't be able to take her into competitive because it's unlikely she'll have any perfect IVs, but it's always worth knowing these things.
Reminder that you have Hyper Training now which affects IV's.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

Ah, I've been looking for something like this for a while; thanks for posting it.

Definitely seems like it'll be a big regional dex, that'll likely be split up by island akin to X/Y. Glad to see it personally; the large dex was one of my favorite things from X/Y. It grants a lot of diversity and overall replayability to the game.

No Bellossom yet, however. Game Freak would be missing an obvious Hawaiian-Inspired Pokemon if they don't include Oddish in the dex. Also, Alolian Vileplume plz. \o/

I noticed we still haven't seen Far'fetched there. Can that hint at a possible Alolan form? I mean if there is the definition of a First Gen under preforming pokemon its our HM slave Far'Fetched. I know I bring it up a few times but I do wish he gets some love, maybe becomes a Samurai Duck Fighting/Flying? or an offensive Steel/Flying?
But Farfetch'd is supposed to suck.

I'd still like to see an Alola form for it, even if it also sucks.

No Bellossom yet, however. Game Freak would be missing an obvious Hawaiian-Inspired Pokemon if they don't include Oddish (also, Alolian Vileplume plz).
What if Alolan Gloom evolve into Bellossom by level up?

Which trailer showed off Lilligant? This makes me very much happy as Lilligant is my favorite Pokemon from the 5th gen, but I need clarification. (I think this may also confirm Whimsicott because the two were exclusive back in Gen 5; Mr. Mime was also a counterpart to Sudowoodo in the games Gen 4 onward, though perhaps it may get an Alola form)

It also seems weird that the Unova fossils are a part of the game's dex. Does this confirm the lack of new fossils? If not, then this just seems fishy.

Wow, they're bringing back the absurdly large Dex from X/Y. Not complaining though, a large Dex allows for your in-game team to be more diverse.
And the absolute worst for nuzlockes since getting a Pokemon of a specific type you want will be even more less likely. Welp.

That isn't really the point of nuzlockes...? The point is using random stuff you wouldn't use otherwise, not getting stuff that you want. Having more Pokémon is a great thing for nuzlockes in spirit because you have access to tons of things you haven't used before.
or you end up with getting absolutely nothing for fantina's gym and you end up getting completely screwed because the access to things like steel types were rather scarce.

Which trailer showed off Lilligant? This makes me very much happy as Lilligant is my favorite Pokemon from the 5th gen, but I need clarification. (I think this may also confirm Whimsicott because the two were exclusive back in Gen 5; Mr. Mime was also a counterpart to Sudowoodo in the games Gen 4 onward, though perhaps it may get an Alola form)

It also seems weird that the Unova fossils are a part of the game's dex. Does this confirm the lack of new fossils? If not, then this just seems fishy.
Petilil was shown in the recent Japanese trailer from Oct. 4: http://i.imgur.com/u8PIWvi.jpg

I remember Carracosta was shown with other turtle Pokemon in Turtonator's reveal. This could've just been a homage to Turtonator being a turtle, or it's likely that the Carracosta line will be in Alola. We've also seen Aerodactyl in multiple trailers if I'm not mistaken, and the Archeops line is apparently somewhere in there as well. Considering that Kalos had Aerodactyl as well, it's not unreasonable to believe that Alola will also have old fossils.

If I understood correctly, QR Code teams will only be usable on Battle Spot, right? If so, that means showdown won't become obsolete even if we're able to generate codes online, as Battle Spot doesn't have an option for searching for 6vs6 random matches. And even if something of the sort gets included, Showdown will still be your place to go if you want to avoid stuff like Mega-Khan/Minimize, etc.

I don't think if it's right place to start wishlisting, but I really think Ice should resist Water and maybe Dragon.

For Bug Type, just remove the resistance of Fighting types and add better Physical Option (Megahorn is not well distributed, X Scissor is weak). For the Special Side, Bug Buzz is ok.

Rock Types are already solid, but they could gain a resistance to Ice (Ice is already a good offensive type)

And for Psychic, it's meh ... Resistance to Poison attacks maybe ... ?
Ice can't resist water, look up at water properties, specially specific heat, that is one, if not the most important property of water to allow an environment where life can flourish.

But that is ussualy a double edged sword. Having too much variety can be overwhelming to the player. And something like trying to catch each Pokémon of each zone changes from something that is a "fun challenge" to just being tedious. Increasing the variety of Pokémon later in the game works, because ussualy the player already caught them, or the pre-evos of them. That's why in the early routes of other games ther is at best 4 or 5 Pokémon, while in the latter routes even 20.

XY failed in that because: 1.- Having too much variety, specially in the early game, can make a game way more easy. and 2.- The task of "Catching them all" when the first route has like 12 different Pokémon can become tedious and repetitive

There aren't many relevant fairies on the competitive scene 'cause there aren't many relevant fairies in general. The more we get the higher the chance of having more and more good Fairy types. Imho the only shift I'd make would be to make them weak to bug instead of resisting it, considering how weak is Bug competitively and how threatening Fairy could become once it has the right mons (and some new moves)... Just look at Clefable, it was utterly mediocre as a normal type, and now is a great 'mon just shifting to Fairy. Actually I really hope 7th gen will adjust unbalanced typings like Bug, Ice, Rock and Psychic they did a good job in 6th gen but there's more to do for balance... Sorry for the brief wishlisting.
One of the things that makes Clef so great is not only the fact that it is a Fairy type, but rather, it is a Fairy type that once was a Normal type. Normal types have an excellent movepool and ussualy gimmicky abilities that don't work, because they are normal types. Now take all the goodies of being a normal type, and give it a good typing, thus, a Fire breathing-Thunder Waving-Stealth Rocker-Ice Beamer-Magic Guarding Fairy was born

A little offtopic... I guess

- Here we can see Ash-Greninja
- But Nintendo (even tho it was gamefreak) said that Ash-Greninja was going to be an anime exclusive
- What did you just saw?!

Last edited:
There are some obscure references missing, such as the Electrode on Sophocles's keychain...
I believe I saw an Electrode somewhere other than that in the promotional art, just hanging out in a scene. I could be wrong though. If I am, it being part of his design doesn't necessarily mean it's something you can catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)