Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Datamine + Full Game Leaks Collection (Read the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there are 11 unique Z moves and 4 have been revealed: Catastropika, Extreme evoboost, Stoked sparksurfer, Pulverizing pancake. I'm willing to bet that the remaining 7 will go to gen I pokemon only like the mentioned 4 (kinda like how the Alolan forms turned out).

I think it's safe to say that only the real iconic/ popular will get these exclusive Z moves so possible candidates from gen I are: the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Mew, Gengar, Dragonite and the unlikely Ditto. There are exactly 7 more choices from gen I to receive the remaining 7 unique Z moves. Coincidence? I personally dont think so. Thoughts?

if leech life has replaced dig, then we can all only hope that it has been buffed like most other HP draining moves, like giga drain and drain punch (60 -> 75), but I am worried because most pokemon learn leech life at low levels, so starting them off with a more powerful move is strange, but as a bug lover i wont mind. best guess is if it's buffed at all, it'll cap at 50 bp like draining kiss.
and as to why it replaced dig it might be because there's a pokeride that would act in it's stead like alolan dugtrio or something similar? either that or game freak just really wants us to start using escape ropes
Plus, there are only four Pokémon in the "Alola"-Dex, that can learn Leech Life (for now), lol. /vgcsight

There must be more behind this :x

So, there are 11 unique Z moves and 4 have been revealed: Catastropika, Extreme evoboost, Stoked sparksurfer, Pulverizing pancake. I'm willing to bet that the remaining 7 will go to gen I pokemon only like the mentioned 4 (kinda like how the Alolan forms turned out).

I think it's safe to say that only the real iconic/ popular will get these exclusive Z moves so possible candidates from gen I are: the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Mew, Gengar, Dragonite and the unlikely Ditto. There are exactly 7 more choices from gen I to receive the remaining 7 unique Z moves. Coincidence? I personally dont think so. Thoughts?
I would be really surprised if Lunala and Solgaleo didn't get signature Z-Moves. Like really surprised...

I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it in this thread too. People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the island deities will follow the pattern outlined by Oricorio (Electric/Ghost/Fire/Psychic). While this is tempting, I'd like to propose an alternate theory: each of the island deities corresponds to a terrain move. With Psychic Terrain, there are 4 terrains, 4 islands, and 4 island deities. Tapu Koko's unique Electric Surge ability suggests that the other Tapus (or whatever) might have similar abilities for Grassy Terrain, Misty Terrain and now Psychic Terrain. On the other hand, the coloration is eerily similar to Oricorio (although Tapu3 is way more orange than red, so there's that), so I could buy either one. However, Gamefreak has been known to create Pokemon with color schemes totally unrelated to their type (see: Reshiram and Zekrom, who people couldn't figure out the types for until they were confirmed), so don't bank too heavily on color. I'm torn between which theory I'd prefer to be true, because Fire/Fairy is cool but so are more automatic terrains.
I completely agree with that theory. Another aspect supporting the notion that the pink tapu is Grass/Fairy is that it is shaped like a seed.

IDK why people aren't liking that the UB's are going to be catchable. IDK why people even entertained the thought of the UB's not being catchable
hell yeah screw the haters

Anyway, the Ultra beast ball looks oddly like the Solgaleo and Lunalla pre-evos, sharing features from both. Could there be a connection between the ultrabeasts and the cover legends?

A bit off topic regarding what's being spoken about now, but I'd like to talk about the significance of Thunder Wave's nerfs this gen.

One example that immediately came to mind was how it affects defensive Primal Groudon's ability to check Geomancy Xerneas in Ubers. Thunder Wave neuters GeoXern by not only figuratively removing its speed boosts but also nerfing the speed to the point where defensive Pdon outpaces it and either 2HKOs if it was in before the Geomancy or gets a heavy hit off with Precipice Blades before going down so that another can revenge-kill. That happens in the current Gen 6 metagame.

This becomes dicey in Gen 7. The Thunder Wave nerfs hit its accuracy and the speed drops going from 1/4 of the original stat to 1/2. So not only can Thunder Wave potentially miss but Xerneas can relatively safely 2HKO it before Pdon gets a hit off even after getting paralyzed.

People have been saying that the T-Wave nerfs haven't changed much, but they couldn't be more wrong...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
OK So I know everyone is super excited about the content of the leaks, but can we stop with the shit posting. It's really irritating to come into here and look at loads of memes etc.

Discuss what has been found/discovered and the connotations of those changes. We are allowing a bit more flexibility in this thread because of its content. But I don't need/want memes. Or shitposts. I've deleted about 20 posts this morning. Data will come when it comes and not before, so stop asking.

What I am really interested in is the changes to Dig. Does this mean Dig is going to become a PokeRide type move? Is Teleport going to be similarly effected? Will Pokemon who had Dig in their movesets lose access to it? Only a handful of mons we know about learn Dig naturally (by my quick looks, Sandile/Gible/Trapinch [Assuming Alolan Duggy doesnt get it]). It just seems like a bizarre move to change from TM to natural status when lots of things liked having access to it. I guess most will have to make do with Bulldoze now...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shiny Lunala is the color of a lunar eclipse

Okay, fair enough, but in that case shouldn't Solgaleo be black like a solar eclipse?

Nyahahaha.... Garfield actually confirmed.
I think he was joking. ;) Then again, Alolan Raichu is said to be from pancakes...

http://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...okemon-sun-and-moon-catch-ultra-beasts-theory

It's confirmed Ultra beasts are capturable. We have the complete Dex of new Pokemon in our hands. There are no missing Pokemon from what was datamined.
Kind of takes a bit of the mystery away from them, like they're now just a different kin of Pokemon instead of their own species of creatures parallel to humans and Pokemon. But if they do what Darklatias92 said and you capture/befriend and summon them instead of traditonally capturing them in Pokeballs I would be alright with that. I don't want them to be another Pokemon, after years of there being humans and Pokemon it would be nice to have another species who is equal to both yet work differently. Ultra Beasts most likely have their own goals and ambitions like a human though have the capability of fighting like a Pokemon. They're different and they should remain different, not being able to be captured in the traditional sense. Sun & Moon are breaking a lot of things we know about Pokemon, why not this?

EDIT: And then the fourth video reveals a new "Poke" Ball that looks like its made for capturing UBs. Alright, at least they made a new Poke Ball for them.

Help me find my baby girl

The thing about the Eternal Floette is that I think it would have been like Spiky-Ear Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu, exclusive to the game it was released in. Sadly this game was probably Z.

They probably replaced Dig since Fly is a normal TM and Earthquake exists.

OK So I know everyone is super excited about the content of the leaks, but can we stop with the shit posting. It's really irritating to come into here and look at loads of memes etc.

Discuss what has been found/discovered and the connotations of those changes. We are allowing a bit more flexibility in this thread because of its content. But I don't need/want memes. Or shitposts. I've deleted about 20 posts this morning. Data will come when it comes and not before, so stop asking.

What I am really interested in is the changes to Dig. Does this mean Dig is going to become a PokeRide type move? Is Teleport going to be similarly effected? Will Pokemon who had Dig in their movesets lose access to it? Only a handful of mons we know about learn Dig naturally (by my quick looks, Sandile/Gible/Trapinch [Assuming Alolan Duggy doesnt get it]). It just seems like a bizarre move to change from TM to natural status when lots of things liked having access to it. I guess most will have to make do with Bulldoze now...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bulldoze just overall superior? Dig being a charge move means that the damage output is lower than Bulldoze over two turns. I'll take the guaranteed Speed drop over the semi-invulnerable turn too. The field effect was the only reason I taught Dig in-game.

By the same token, since Dig is no longer widespread and has no more use in the overworld (I think), Gamefreak can actually take the liberty to buff it so that it has the power of a proper charge move. Something like a 120BP Ground move, like Solar Beam. Then there will be a reason to use it over Earthquake. From what it seems, Gamefreak is doing a major overhaul in move power and effects like they did in Gen V.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A bit off topic regarding what's being spoken about now, but I'd like to talk about the significance of Thunder Wave's nerfs this gen.

One example that immediately came to mind was how it affects defensive Primal Groudon's ability to check Geomancy Xerneas in Ubers. Thunder Wave neuters GeoXern by not only figuratively removing its speed boosts but also nerfing the speed to the point where defensive Pdon outpaces it and either 2HKOs if it was in before the Geomancy or gets a heavy hit off with Precipice Blades before going down so that another can revenge-kill. That happens in the current Gen 6 metagame.

This becomes dicey in Gen 7. The Thunder Wave nerfs hit its accuracy and the speed drops going from 1/4 of the original stat to 1/2. So not only can Thunder Wave potentially miss but Xerneas can relatively safely 2HKO it before Pdon gets a hit off even after getting paralyzed.

People have been saying that the T-Wave nerfs haven't changed much, but they couldn't be more wrong...
It does make the "TWave and forget" strategy for dealing with Xerneas less effective, since it can now outspeed slow Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh at +2 while paralyzed. This makes Thunder Wave a less attractive option on Primal Groudon which could make it easier for things like Water Arceus to check it. However, Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh both still have high Attack as well as access to phazing moves so they can still check Xerneas fine.

The Thunder Wave nerf also hurts Klefki's usefulness somewhat since Prankster TWave has lessened in effectiveness at checking really fast sweepers (like GeoXern and DD Mence).

There's also Solgaleo who (most likely) beats the crap out of Xerneas. If Solg has a way to dent Primal Groudon, I don't think we have to fear Death By Deer (tm) juuuuust yet.

Do we have anything other than the Dig/Leech Life scandal to back this up?
We have the Thunder Wave nerf, the Tackle nerf, and the likely Leech Life buff. That we see so many changes this early is a good sign, IMO. It means there is more change to come. I also felt that Rock Smash was weirdly powerful in some of the videos, although I might be wrong.

Another thing to consider is that Cut and Strength are no longer HM. If it were to remain usable moves, someone has to learn them naturally by level-up, which is currently not possible. It is likely that Gamefreak may change those moves as well, but we never know.

We could be having this discussion 3 generations ago about Glare, which used to be a pointless move. Only like 4 Pokemon could get them, and it had terrible accuracy. All it had over Thunder Wave was the ability to hit the occasional Ground-type, and Thunder Wave had perfect accuracy with wide distribution.
Thunder Wave had wide distribution through TMs. If you look at the pokemon that learn it through leveling up, you'll realize that the number of wild pokemon that learn it is not that huge. When it came to facing enemies, Glare made sense and Glare misses were part of the balance so the player didn't get punished with status everytime. Glare was always great game design, lack of "competitive" niches nonwithstanding. If you don't consider the opponent using those moves against the player you'll never fully grasp their utility.

In the otherhand, making a dubious move like Leech Life become a TM is questionable to say the least...

Thunder Wave had wide distribution through TMs. If you look at the pokemon that learn it through leveling up, you'll realize that the number of wild pokemon that learn it is not that huge. When it came to facing enemies, Glare made sense and Glare misses were part of the balance so the player didn't get punished with status everytime. Glare was always great game design, lack of "competitive" niches nonwithstanding. If you don't consider the opponent using those moves against the player you'll never fully grasp their utility.

In the otherhand, making a dubious move like Leech Life become a TM is questionable to say the least...
If we're still on this topic, then I'll just say that I'd like many other rare pointless moves to get the Glare treatment, i.e. becoming a competitively viable move in the current/coming generations.

I can live with having wild Pokemon using Growl and Leer on me for the purposes that you mentioned. After all, those moves serve the same purpose of lowering the difficulty curve for players when running the gauntlet against wild Pokemon, and they are also not pointless in that they also serve the player by being actually accessible and useful early game, before the player gets stronger status moves. I don't see why they had needed to create Glare for fulfilling the role of Growl/Leer, when it would probably make more sense to make such a rare move worthwhile and rewarding to obtain. And well they probably changed Glare because they followed a similar train of thought.

If we're still on this topic, then I'll just say that I'd like many other rare pointless moves to get the Glare treatment, i.e. becoming a competitively viable move in the current/coming generations.

I can live with having wild Pokemon using Growl and Leer on me for the purposes that you mentioned. After all, those moves serve the same purpose of lowering the difficulty curve for players when running the gauntlet against wild Pokemon, and they are also not pointless in that they also serve the player by being actually accessible and useful early game, before the player gets stronger status moves. I don't see why they had needed to create Glare for fulfilling the role of Growl/Leer, when it would probably make more sense to make such a rare move worthwhile and rewarding to obtain. And well they probably changed Glare because they followed a similar train of thought.
I think making learn sets matter is something that Game Freaks has been pushing as of recently and I endorse it completely. I like the fact that when creating Z-moves they also opened the door to make third rate coverage moves matter more, as now a Water Pulse from Vanilluxe can actually become a decent threat to a key target.

Another element that is illustrated by Glare is that it fits the flavor of a certain animal (snakes) from a thematical standpoint, effectively making the game more colorful just by existing. String Shot also fits the bill and it also got buffed recently, and I believe this is an intentional kind of focus when it comes to applying buffs. One of the most potentially threatening moves introduced in Gen VI was Sticky Web, which is intrinsically linked with spiders. It seems the designers came to the conclusion that flavor moves should be made relevant in their utility, probably seizing the opportunity of having a good reason to limit their distribution (with the happy example of the little Spore that could). I certainly hope new moves continue with this trend.

I think making learn sets matter is something that Game Freaks has been pushing as of recently and I endorse it completely. I like the fact that when creating Z-moves they also opened the door to make third rate coverage moves matter more, as now a Water Pulse from Vanilluxe can actually become a decent threat to a key target.

Another element that is illustrated by Glare is that it fits the flavor of a certain animal (snakes) from a thematical standpoint, effectively making the game more colorful just by existing. String Shot also fits the bill and it also got buffed recently, and I believe this is an intentional kind of focus when it comes to applying buffs. One of the most potentially threatening moves introduced in Gen VI was Sticky Web, which is intrinsically linked with spiders. It seems the designers came to the conclusion that flavor moves should be made relevant in their utility, probably seizing the opportunity of having a good reason to limit their distribution (with the happy example of the little Spore that could). I certainly hope new moves continue with this trend.
Ah yeah, I totally agree. Moves that they create, especially the rare ones, must have some flavor to them. They did well in that sense, as serpentine Pokemon would probably use Glare (and caterpillar Pokemon, String Shot) to paralyze their prey/predator. Naturally it would also make sense flavor-wise that if a Pokemon evolves this move as part of its genetic makeup, then the move must be worthwhile enough for the generations of the Pokemon's existence in nature. I hope they keep buffing other such moves to follow the trend that Glare and String Shot set.

Evidently Slam is not considered one of those moves... :/ It's an example of some Pokemon putting their long appendage to good use too, and yet it is so horribly impotent. Wonder how they managed to beat their natural preys/predators if they evolved into learning such a crap move in their late 20s - mid 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)