Have you had your Wisdom Teeth out?

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Title

I'm going to get three wisdom teeth taken out today and I was wondering if anyone else in the Smogon community had done so and see which is the best method, things you can do at home after the procedure and what food/drink items are appropriate.

I've seen online that I can choose either local or general anaesthetic and don't know why one to go for.

If you can give me some advice that would be great :>

I've had it done quite a few years ago. I don't remember having a choice in anaesthetic, but it was probably local since it was only applied to part of my mouth.

Anaesthetic sucks and it's kinda creepy when they're messing around inside, and then for one or two days after you'll feel like shit. But after that it's just one less pair of teeth you have to clean and you won't really notice anymore.

I don't remember the food/drink recommendations but they should be able to give you some. Can't go wrong with water.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
when my dad got it done they said, nothing too hot and and nothing too cold. Very light brushing, no flossing, try to avoid the area for a few days, let the small tears heal over or you chance some nasty infection. Food should be fine, might wanna avoid crunchy stuff that can get stuck in soft tissue.

the procedure itself is simple and largely painless.... the anesthetic takes a while to wear off though.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember getting general anesthetic for this. The experience with that was pretty much empty, I lost consciousness and after what felt like an instant I woke up feeling physically numb, confused, and for some reason trying to explain to the dentist that the Rayman DLC leaks for Smash 4 were fake. It wasn't long before talking started to feel like more trouble than it was worth for the most part, so I pretty much killed all of my time chatting on Showdown after that and watching whatever TV shows I was catching up on at the time.

The experience of getting your wisdom teeth removed itself isn't something to be afraid of (I can't speak for what it's like under local anesthetic though), but the few days after that are going to be rather unpleasant. Aching gums, eating being a total hassle, stuff like that. I ate a lot of udon noodle soup and mashed potatoes, soup is definitely something I'd recommend a lot of. Take painkillers whenever necessary (they made a huge difference for me) and just try to relax and enjoy yourself as much as you can, it's not like you have anything to do other than wait for the experience to pass. I don't even look back on it all that unfondly, it almost feels like it was an accomplishment of some sorts to have made it past all that, so it's not like the whole ordeal is some unbearably painful experience or something.
Most of the above stuff I said was from vague recollections so here's past-me's input on the subject. It's almost like having a time machine!

[14:39:19] %LegitimateUsername: Man, it feels nice to be back on Showdown.
[14:39:32] %LegitimateUsername: Wisdom teeth out means that internet text is my only viable way of communication.
[14:39:38] %LegitimateUsername: I feel so eloquent.
[14:40:21] ~Joim: Hello there
[14:40:26] +Chandelure: hi LU :>
[14:40:31] +Chandelure: good to know that went well
[14:40:43] ~Joim: You seem very loyal coming here after getting a wisdom teeth out
[14:40:45] %LegitimateUsername: Yeah, the pain is pretty minimal right now.
[14:41:03] @LegitimateUsername: I can't feel my lip or taste anything but blood though.
[14:41:23] Ast☆arA Vista Baby: also are you semi drugged?
[14:41:29] @LegitimateUsername: I think I'm still might be kinda loopy.
[14:41:45] @LegitimateUsername: I think that at one point I tried to tell my dentist that the Rayman leaks were fake.
[14:41:52] Ast☆arA Vista Baby: lmfao
[14:41:55] @LegitimateUsername: The key word being "tried".

[14:47:19] ~Joim: you know what's great after getting your wisdom teeth removed
[14:47:21] ~Joim: drinking alcohol
[14:47:23] ~Joim: 10/10 experience

And a couple of tidbits that do basically nothing other than indicate that the experience was probably significantly more painful than I remember:

[16:35:27] @LegitimateUsername: Oh man that's really starting to hurt.
[16:35:33] @LegitimateUsername: Stupid gums.

[18:47:46] @LegitimateUsername: Yay, my painkillers started working.
[18:48:00] @LegitimateUsername: I can't stand this and the next few days so far.
[18:48:07] @SteelEdges: You have some sort of operation?
[18:48:09] @LegitimateUsername: Wisdom teeth.
[18:48:15] @SteelEdges: Ah, that's no fun.
Anyway, good luck with the operation, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
I haven't had them removed, but is it something that can become an issue at later ages? They haven't been a problem to me yet, being in the early twenties.

I haven't had them removed, but is it something that can become an issue at later ages? They haven't been a problem to me yet, being in the early twenties.
Talk to your dentist. It's entirely possible they don't become an issue, but that isn't common, and you don't want to leave them in even if they *could* be a problem.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
(Depending on the case) It might move your teeth, especially a problem if you'd had braces, causing a crooked smile. Sometimes they grow in awkward positions, making them impossible to brush, usually causing painfu infections. Or nothing may happen (dentist's daughter here)

I haven't grown my wisdom teeth (I'm 21yo) and I probably won't

I had 1 taken out last month so I'll share my experience. My insurance didn't cover an anesthetic so I had to pay for that out of pocket. I had the choice of laughing gas or getting fully put out and with a fear of needles/laughing gas costing much less it was an easy choice. I would definitely recommend laughing gas as I thought they were just prepping my mouth for the procedure then the doctor walked out like 5 minutes later my mom came in and it was over lol. Afterwards your mouth is incredibly numb, the doctor told me I should eat something to get my jaw moving I guess idk there wasn't an approved list of what you could and couldn't eat but with only having one tooth taken out I could avoid that side of the mouth and have anything I wanted but you'll probably have to be more careful of what you eat. For something to do afterwards gargling with warm salt water twice a day for about a week was something the doctor recommended to me.

Your mouth will feel really uncomfortable for like 4-5 days but that's the worst part of about it the pain isn't unbearable(you can just pop some pain pills if it is) I wouldn't be worried about the actual procedure at all. gl :o

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I got them out back in January; the aftermath really is as bad as everyone says it is. One of the best things you can eat is fresh pineapple; it has a surprisingly effective enzyme that reduces swelling. Just chew it with your front teeth to keep the acidic juices from entering the holes in your mouth.

Take the painkillers they give you (or at least should give you...) fsr my parents were worried that the drugs they prescribed were too strong or whatever so I ended up taking double the recommended dose of ibuprofen before a couple of days before I realized that this was dumb when I could just be taking actual painkillers that work.

For a couple weeks after there's this sense of having two holes in your mouth and it's just pretty weird. idk about everyone else but I had to "clean" out those holes using a syringe filled with salt water. A littleannoying but once the pain wears off I thought it was kinda cool to flush all the food particles out of those areas.

Never got them out yet. Its not necessary unless your mouth is overcrowded or they get infected. My sister got hers out when she was about 20 and she was high for like a weak and lost some weight.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I start a full time job soon but I also need to get my wisdom teeth removed at some point this winter (my bottom wisdom teeth are growing under my back teeth on my lower jaw). For people that have had them removed, how long did it take to recover to the point you can go to work / school and function? I don't really want to use my vacation days on this (also it would probably not look great missing too much work immediately) but I can't wait too long otherwise I'll have major dental issues. Google tells me a recovery time of 3 days to a week is the standard but would it be reasonable to work during this time (assuming I'm not on pain killers)?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I got mine out last year, I'm not exaggerating when I say it felt like real torture. It took a little under two hours and they didn't knock me out or give me laughing gas, so I could hear / smell / see / feel them ripping out my teeth the whole time. I spent over half of that time crying and trying not to throw up. When I got home and tried to eat something (soft noodles) I did throw up. Then after a week of taking antibiotics I realized I was allergic to them.

you will probably have a better experience though. good luck

So I start a full time job soon but I also need to get my wisdom teeth removed at some point this winter (my bottom wisdom teeth are growing under my back teeth on my lower jaw). For people that have had them removed, how long did it take to recover to the point you can go to work / school and function? I don't really want to use my vacation days on this (also it would probably not look great missing too much work immediately) but I can't wait too long otherwise I'll have major dental issues. Google tells me a recovery time of 3 days to a week is the standard but would it be reasonable to work during this time (assuming I'm not on pain killers)?
From my experience, you go in to surgery one day, you take another day to rest and make yourself some soft food and let the mouth numbness wear off so you can talk and eat properly, and then you're good to go. It's still going to be uncomfortable and you're not going to be properly healed, but you'll probably be good to work as long as work doesn't require a lot of physical exercise.

got two of them off two years ago. just as with P Squared, it was awful. i have big teeths and a small mouth (the dentist said it in a more professional technical way lol), so it was a pain in the ass. I kept there two hours crying with my mouth open and hearing the guy saying "oh well, i will have to break this teeth into pieces before i can remove them" D: and in the end he was like "O BOI I TOUGHT I WOULDN'T MAKE IT"

I had to keep a bag of ice near my mouth for two days. It didn't bleed much, but the pain was horrible. Nothing you can't deal with tho, and it just gets better as the time passes. If I'm not mistaken, I kept drinking chocolate milk and eating soup during this recovery time - nothing too cold nor hot. I did the surgery after work and took two days off to recover

i have to go to dentist again but now i am too damn scared and i am delaying it as much as possible even knowing the soon the better :]

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
i got mine out sometime earlier this year, like February. I remember wanting to communicate that I was fine, but there was gauze in my mouth, so the next best way to talk with through ASL. Except I, nor any of my family members, know how to sign, so I was spelling out random shit with my hands and no one understood what I was saying. goooood shit.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I had all 4 out at once senior year of hs. My bottom two were coming in completely sideways and pressing against the sides of the other molars and I think my mouth was too small for the top two. My paternal cousins and I have some wisdom teeth recovery superpower where it barely phases us. They gave me laughing gas then knocked me out, I came home and took the vicodin and passed out for a couple hours then I was fine, never needed the vicodin again and I was up and active, didn't hurt much. The cleaning the holes out was a bit annoying until they healed over.

My mom was SUPER strict about what I could eat so all I had was like cottage cheese + pears or mashed potatoes. I lost what must have been 5-10 pounds and my ribs started sticking out. Once the wounds healed it was k again.

The dentists were surprised I had 4 wisdom teeth since I'm missing a few others but it wasn't any big thing honestly, however each person's mouth reacts differently to surgery. I feel like when I got the chains and rubber bands tightened on my braces was worse lmao.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Back in 2011 when I was in 10th grade I was sitting in my science class when my teeth began to hurt (they may have hurt even before then but i don`t remember lol). I thought it was just a toothache or something so i paid it no mind, but the pain continued for days so my sister decided i should see a dentist about it. Long story short my molars/wisdom teeth/whatever the dental term for it was were impacted as they were growing so i had to get them removed. That was the first and only time I`ve ever been subjected to laughing gas and i must admit, it was a pretty weird but cool experience lol. After the "surgery" or whatever teeth removal is called in dental terms was finished, they put cotton or something in my mouth for healing purposes or to lessen the discomfort or something, not entirely sure. My mouth was sore for about 2 days or so and that was that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)