Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes but by using tapu bulu you are giving up a better tapu, and you are also giving up a fairy that can actually use fairy moves. Its still incredibly slow also, and its grass attacks dont even do much to other threats like protean greninja. And of course no one uses fairy moves with bulu cause its sp attack is so low.
252 Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja [Fire type] in Grassy Terrain: 304-358 (106.6 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
First, if you switched Greninja on Bulu, it would be Water/Dark regardless on thw ability, second, how can Bulu's grass attacks not do much damage when Greninja with a type that resist it is always OHKOed lol.

hecatomb

Banned deucer.
252 Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja [Fire type] in Grassy Terrain: 304-358 (106.6 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
First, if you switched Greninja on Bulu, it would be Water/Dark regardless on thw ability, second, how can Bulu's grass attacks not do much damage when Greninja with a type that resist it is always OHKOed lol.
its always funny when people bring up scarf, cause any mon can use scarf if they want, heck you can even use scarf Greninja and gunkshot bulu with will 1 shot it. And why would anyone bring in Greninja on bulu is beyond me. If They start with Greninja and you start with bulu and you dont have scarf you die. If this if that. Thats all this conversation is, if if if..... Bulu is still weak compared to the other Tapus, sure you can run bulu and other tapu on your team. And then you can have 2 tapus that are both weak to steel, which is a big threat in OU.

its always funny when people bring up scarf, cause any mon can use scarf if they want, heck you can even use scarf Greninja and gunkshot bulu with will 1 shot it. And why would anyone bring in Greninja on bulu is beyond me. If They start with Greninja and you start with bulu and you dont have scarf you die. If this if that. Thats all this conversation is, if if if..... Bulu is still weak compared to the other Tapus, sure you can run bulu and other tapu on your team. And then you can have 2 tapus that are both weak to steel, which is a big threat in OU.
Don't keep Bulu on Greninja unless you know it's Ash. Bravo for your realization.
Also I find it interesting that you said Bulu's Grass moves don't do much to Greninja in an earlier post. Now you say no one should bring in Gren on Bulu. So...
Bulu ain't weak, especially not compared to the other Tapus. If this is what it takes to convince you then so be it.
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 324-382 (95 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 244-288 (71.5 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Mew is typeless)
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Electric Terrain: 178-211 (52.1 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This isn't taking into account items or anything. I don't think I need to bring up Fini calcs for obvious reasons. I'm not advocating for Bulu rising or anything, I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to call Bulu weak.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll try to roll a couple other things:

Weavile to B and Mamoswine to B+

Weavile has been dropping usage in the meta and has struggled a lot to find his niche. It's not bad, but it is finding it harder and harder to really be a great Pokemon on teams.

Mamoswine, on the other hand, has been gaining steam because it has great role compression with being able to run Stealth Rock or lure with Knock Off while also being a cool soft check to Tapu Koko. Both Weavile and Mamoswine can be rather difficult to switch into; however, Mamoswine is a lot more difficult for offensive teams to switch into overall.

We can go more into detail later on, but I think this is another thing to roll into. For the record:

- I agree, for now, Bronzong can go to B so long as Dugtrio exists; however, I feel that he may slip to B- again if Dugtrio leaves as Lele is more free to use different movesets.
- Bulu to A- sounds reasonable. I have a hard time building teams around this thing as Grassy Terrain has a double-edged sword. I think it's a good mon, but even the Swords Dance Fightinium Z set has occasional struggles against offensive teams and the other sets are getting more questionable everyday.
- Kyurem-B I have no comment. Don't disagree to dropping - the meta is rather awkward to it at this time.
- Gengar I think is borderline A, but the only hesitation is that it's still one of those mons that faces issues on what it can potentially do. I think that it can definitely rise with the fact that it is more difficult to switch into and its typing is still solid. Cursed Body is actually not bad, though it does sometimes struggle if the opponent lays a ton of Spikes against Gengar.

I'm open to discuss those Pokemon and the ones I previously nominated as well.

Gengar can definatly rise, With Psychics everywhere trying to exploit leles Psychic terrain and the omnipresence of fairies the old Gen 1 Ghost is at home. Specs, Scarf and life orb can all free spam shadowball right now hurting both stall and offense potentially, Slduge wave nails any fairy not named magerna or a calm minding clef. Moves like trick and the ability Cursed body troll oppenents and 110 Speed tier is still solid. If Dugtrio ends up banned thats an even greater positive for it. Gengar to A

No comment on Kyurem but Balu is definatly the weakest of the Tapus and should drop. While it does hit hard (Like a truck) the Omni presence of steels hurt it, Magerna can set up shift gear on it for free, Lose's to greninga a mon it should beat on paper and Nihelgo revenges it. The Growth in popularity of tangrowth and gengar do it no favours either. Everytime I think about using it I ask myself why Im not using another Tapu or an offensive grass (Rare as they are) and end up forgeting it. Drop it to A- or even B+. The meta really is not kind to it right now

As much as I like the thing, I can sympathize with Tapu Bulu dropping to A-. The nuclear power behind Grassy Terrain Wood Hammer is marred by the issue with landing a neutral blow in this meta, as it's being populated by bulky Grass types like Tangrowth, and Steel types like the rising Bronzong. Bulu also has an issue with the influence of the other Tapus on the tier, as even without a Fairy STAB, Poison, Fire, and Steel defensive typings give Wood Hammer trouble rather than benefiting as Lele does from either easy coverage targets or secondary STAB shutting one down in the case of Poison. Grassy Terrain also can present an issue since it grants another source of passive healing to grounded opponents, and Tapu Bulu has serious issues with opposing Grass types while not having much means to threaten them back for using the Terrain: Lele has STAB Moonblast and the general fraility of grounded offensive Psychic types, and Koko's the only grounded Electric type besides Magnezone, who mostly matches up with threats where the Terrain doesn't do much it wouldn't have already.

Gengar I could definitely see a Rise for. Tapu Lele (and the Tapus in general) do Gengar a lot of favors by giving it Fairy/Psychic targets and staving off priority. Base 110 is a very useful speed tier for its role, Ghost STAB is borderline unresisted in the relevant OU tier, its old Stallbreaking options remain viable, and he makes a very nice offensive partner to some of the top tier mons like Mega Metagross and Ash-Greninja, who appreciate a fast partner who can hit hard while breaking down particular problems for them like Tangrowth, Bronzong, Tapu Fini, and others depending on respective coverage (Thunderbolt can nail SpD Celesteela for Metagross lacking Thunderpunch, for example). And while its departure would still be good for Gengar, being a Stallbreaker not trapped by Dugtrio (bar Pursuit) is a nice little perk for Gengar right now. I'll support Gengar to A.

i'm an avid supporter for a gengar rise. i have used gengar a lot and it's incredible how well it fairs against bulky offense. the two main sets i would use personally are either specs, or scarf. with specs, gengar can 2hko anything in the tier except for chansey, which is primarily used on stall. ghost in itself is a good offensive typing which really excels in a meta where dark types that can trap are not prevalent. it's resists/immunities to bug, poison, fairy, fighting, and grass allow it to revenge kill vs pheramosas, tapu leles, tangrowths, keldeos etc. the rise of grass types and fairies really benefits it as it threatens the switches. scarf gengar can be useful in revenge killing many speedy threats such as tapu koko, latios, pheramosa, weakened keldeos, and can clean up vs weakened teams with it's ghost stab. it has good coverage and can run moves such as thunderbolt, hp ice/fire, and even energy ball (lol gastro). gengar is one of those pokemon that hit incredibly hard, and is difficult to switch-in due to it's moveset.
Rise to A

Having used Kyurem-Black within the past week I can't see it dropping, and I feel like its just being slept on. It's checked offensively more easily now, but that doesn't change the amount of switch-ins it has. I actually find it a better Hoopa-Unbound since its physical bulk isn't complete crap, it has a recovery move in Roost, and it outspeeds Tapu Fini and Landorus-Therian, which Hoopa-Unbound doesn't outspeed.

I actually prefer the Mixed Wallbreaker set since Kyurem-Black hits hard enough and there are better Pokemon to give your Z Crystal to. Out of every Pokemon in S through A+, the only ones that have any capability of switching in on Life Orb are Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, Jirachi and AV Magearna. Mega Metagross takes about 75% from Earth Power, AV Magearna is 3HKOed by Earth Power and Jirachi is 2HKOed by Fusion Bolt. And all of this is without rocks up. It's a really nice Pokemon against stall that takes advantage of Toxapex and AV Tangrowth running around. It's not as good as it was in Gen 6 due to being offensively checked more easily and I can see how its not higher than B+ but I think it's ability to punch holes through teams is enough to keep it that rank.

Yeah been using Kyube quite a lot recently, and I think it's good enough to stay where it is. Z-Freeze Shock is really underwhelming and there are so few situations where it''s actually useful, and you'd rather have LO instead, to immediately threaten your opp.

It does put ridiculous ridiculous pressure on teams, especially those who rely on Marowak/Toxapex/Tapu Fini to be their ice resists who get bopped by EP and Fusion Bolt respectively. The meta seems to be filled with BO, whose defensive backbone is just decimated by Kyurem's coverage. Don't get me wrong, it has its flaws, but I think it's good enough to stay where it is.

Couple of my own nominations:

Mega-Scizor to A-: I know this only recently dropped, but I feel it's seriously underrated and undervalued. Being a hard check to Metagross is massive for both bulkier and more offensive teams and legitimately can prevent it from doing anything all game due to its longevity. Magnezone isn't that popular right now, and even so, the majority of them are quite slow anyway and allow you to just U-turn out. Plus defensive Landorus-T being on every team means Scizor always has opportunities to set up SDs. Being one of the best answers to Mamoswine too also helps.

Marowak to B: Sorry, but this mon is so disappointing. I get that it's great against some balance builds (which are generally bad anyway) and against Stall/Semi Stall due to having an awesome typing. Even so, currently, with Duggy still in the tier, it just gets revenge killed after one kill just remembered ghost types can't be trapped. But the meta is definitely more offensive anyway, and it's weakness to rocks with no recovery just means it ends up being sack fodder every other game. It's no good being a volt switch absorber if you're taking 25% every time you come in. It just doesn't put on the same amount of pressure as half the mons in B.

Just gonna throw in my support for Mamoswine and Volcarona rises, everything's already been said about them so won't repeat the same stuff

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Gengar from A- to A

Before I go into the sets Gengar currently frequents that warrant the rise to A, I want to point something out about the tier itself that plays into the hands of Gengar itself. Nobody uses any Ghost resists. Look at the Viability Rankings -- besides Greninja (and Ash-Greninja) which is (are) incredibly frail, there are no Ghost resists at all until B+ rank. Needless to say, the current environment of the SM OU metagame is very much favorable to Ghost types and Gengar is the best of the lot.

Gengar uses three main sets -- Scarf, Specs (can just be LO Offensive), and Ghostium Z. Scarf Gengar is pretty solid due to the spammable STAB it has and the good speed tier, but it's nothing exceptional. Moreover, I will not be elaborating on this set, but it surely adds an extra element to the overall viability of Gengar.

Specs Gengar was initially used by ABR during his week 2 SPL game against Ciele and, since then, it has gained a fair amount of popularity. While it is far from being the fastest or strongest Pokemon in the tier, it is incredibly hard to switch into for almost all teams and it gets in more than one would expect a Pokemon as frail as Gengar to safely get in. Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, Trick, Focus Blast, Hidden Power (Ice), and even the odd Thunderbolt are viable on this set and it tends to break apart balance teams while always doing a ton against offense when it gets into the game. This set can also run a Life Orb over Specs and then it has a whole boatload of utility moves in the last moveslot or two, but it sacrifices a bit of power and with Shadow Ball being so spammable, it's fairly easy to see why Specs is trendy right now. Overall, this variant of Gengar is so problematic to practically every team and there are few, if any, things in any rank that can do this, let alone A- or A (obviously Pokemon like Mega-Metagross and Pheromosa are consistently threatening, but they're very different and ranked highly for many good reasons -- Gengar simply deserves A due to the sheer effectiveness it's typing and what it has at it's disposal grants it).

Z-Shadow Ball Gengar is a bit of a different dynamic than Specs in a sense that it can bluff Scarf, switch moves, and make more use of Gengar's movepool. Personally, I run Taunt / Shadow Ball / Sludge Wave / Wisp or Focus Blast, but there are a couple alternatives in the last slot if you wish to deal with specific things better. FV uses this set during Week 3 of SPL against ABR, but it didn't get a ton of use until the game was already over; however, I used it this past week against Hector and it worked wonders for me early game. This set isn't as consistent or straight-up potent as Specs, which is why I will emphasize a bit less upon it, but I do feel the sheer utility of such a powerful and sometimes unexpected Z-Shadow Ball is dangerous in a tier lacking resists to it and Taunt is also quite helpful. Additionally, not taking LO recoil is great against bulkier teams, especially Stall, and the aforementioned bluffing aspect can often come into play when using this set. Moreover, this set is another thing that distinguishes Gengar, making it incredibly hard to counter and quite unpredictable.

Ultimately, Gengar has been very successful at higher levels of play - it has roughly 9% usage in SPL, but it has won 77% of the games it has been used in, which stands out like a sore thumb for a Pokemon sitting inside the top 20 overall in usage. It is clear that there is something great about Gengar right now that contributes to this success and it mainly is the aforementioned outlook of the tier in regards to the lack of Ghost type defensive counter play. Pokemon like Weavile and even Tyranitar who often spelled doom for Gengar with Pursuit now hardly see the light of day and the general absence of this contributes to the landscape of the tier significantly.

Seeing as various top of the line Pokemon reside in the A tier while some sporadically used and effective Pokemon like Manaphy (former, mainly) and Mega Venusaur (former, mainly, again, but also a bit of the latter given the way the metagame is shaping and other Megas are becoming ideal on almost all teams) reisde in A-, it is clear that Gengar belongs in A tier and should rise in the next update.

Why is Greninja ranked above Ash Greninja when the only recommended SM set is an Ash Greninja set? If that's the best Greninja set, shouldn't Greninja and Ash Greninja have the same rank?

hecatomb

Banned deucer.
Why is Greninja ranked above Ash Greninja when the only recommended SM set is an Ash Greninja set? If that's the best Greninja set, shouldn't Greninja and Ash Greninja have the same rank?
Might have to do with protean-greninja being able to change its type to whatever move it uses, up vs fairy use gunk shot and become a poison type and now you resist fairy type, up against grass, use ice beam, now Greninja is a ice type and so on.

While its not really true that nothing has ghost resists, Greninja does, but Gengar does sure hit everything else.

Specs has gotten a lot of positive mentions. The ABR v Ciele match was particularly telling as Gar was still able to strip ~45% off Lando-T at -1 from Fini's moonblast. I'm impressed with scarf right now not because there are a crowd of mons from 95-108 speed that tend to either run scarf or get to +1, but rather because the unboosted mons that sit above 110 are frail enough that scarf gar can break them EZPZ with minimal chip damage (Koko, greninja, Pheromosa, zam). It also obviously lets it hit the 110 crowd without speed ties (M-Meta, latios) and these are both crucial to outspeed. It's way more prediction reliant than specs as it relies more on SE coverage over a spammable shadow ball but Gengar has the SE coverage to hit more-or-less everything. I haven't used the Z-set yet because lol I'm old so I can't really comment on that but it stands to reason that it can bluff better in a meta where specs > LO.

Ema Skye

Work!
Might have to do with protean-greninja being able to change its type to whatever move it uses, up vs fairy use gunk shot and become a poison type and now you resist fairy type, up against grass, use ice beam, now Greninja is a ice type and so on.

While its not really true that nothing has ghost resists, Greninja does, but Gengar does sure hit everything else.
Fair point, but Greninja is hardly an answer to Gengar. LO Shadow Ball and Stealth Rock does at least 50% to Greninja, assuming a neutral SpDef nature.

hecatomb

Banned deucer.
Fair point, but Greninja is hardly an answer to Gengar. LO Shadow Ball and Stealth Rock does at least 50% to Greninja, assuming a neutral SpDef nature.
It all depends if they start with Greninja, cause you wont set up rocks vs it. I do think Gengar is still pretty good in the meta cause Greninja is the only thing that can resist ghost. And has poison which can really damage tapus

The thing I like about Gengar is that he's extremely hard to switch into thanks to his varied coverage and overall power level, as everything sits at a respectable BP and Gengar's fast enough to get off the second blow against anything that survives one entry. It's tricky to find mons in this meta that can switch into a combination of Shadow Ball + Other move (whether SE coverage or another Shadow Ball). The coverage afforded by Gengar's STABs + Focus Blast/3rd Move leaves him room for utility options like Taunt to mess with defensive or utility mons. While perhaps vulnerable to Revenge Kills, the fact is that it's one of the few reliable ways to deal with Gengar given the power behind LO/Specs Shadow Ball, and everything faster than Gengar is weak to his STAB, a Scarfer, or so frail that they gamble to get in against him at all.

A lot of this might be on paper, but there's so much potential trouble for each team type that a well played Gengar can generate. Some sets are better suited for match ups than others, like Specs being better to snap bulky offense/balance cores, but Gengar's stats and good move coverage or utility are usually always a factor, meaning set choice is more a matter of Gengar putting in more or elss work vs no work at all vs a given team.

I nominate Tangrowth to A+. It's one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier atm, it effectively deals with Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, non-Ice Punch Metagross-Mega, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and more. AV remedies its bad Sp. Defense and allows it to deal with Greninja-Ash, while having natural 100/125 bulk on the physical side. Then you add Regenerator and it can last quite some time during a match. Offensively its no slouch either, it has a lot of coverage moves to cripple its switch-ins with, Knock Off hits Celesteela, Earthquake hits Zard X and Heatran, HP Fire hits Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, Rock Slide hits Zard Y and Volcarona. Tangrowth has been increasingly defining the meta more and I think it should be in A+ to show that.

I nominate Tangrowth to A+. It's one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier atm, it effectively deals with Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, non-Ice Punch Metagross-Mega, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and more. AV remedies its bad Sp. Defense and allows it to deal with Greninja-Ash, while having natural 100/125 bulk on the physical side. Then you add Regenerator and it can last quite some time during a match. Offensively its no slouch either, it has a lot of coverage moves to cripple its switch-ins with, Knock Off hits Celesteela, Earthquake hits Zard X and Heatran, HP Fire hits Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, Rock Slide hits Zard Y and Volcarona. Tangrowth has been increasingly defining the meta more and I think it should be in A+ to show that.
Not gonna lie, Tangrowth is really good. Problem is, it can't run all the stuff you listed and it can also be setup fodder for a lot of stuff like Zard X (lets be honest, Rock Slide don't do shit) and Flyinium Z Landorus-T. Plus, it's pretty passive since no one invests in its offenses. I don't really think it should move to A+, but I don't mind if it does.

Scribble

formerly Dartrix - Joker
is a Contributor to Smogon
A- -> A: No opinion: Gengar is super good right now, but I'm not quite sure it's A level. That's comparing it to mons like Zygarde, Magearna, Tangrowth, and Ferrothorn, all of which are very potent mons in this meta and I'm not sure Gengar brings enough to the table to be held equal to them. On the other hand, the meta is very in favor of Gengar at the moment. There are a whole 2 actual Ghost resists in the tier and many teams struggle to switch into this thing. Definitely a good mon, and I wouldn't mind it being bumped up to A, but I wouldn't mind it staying A- either.

A -> A-: Agreed: Tapu Bulu is one of my favorite mons to use right now, but it's definitely not A level. Its Choice Band set is basically a nuke, but also free momentum for the opponent's Celesteela. Grass is not the best offensive typing, and Bulu struggles a lot in a meta when Celesteela and Mega Metagross exist. Its power is definitely closer to that of others in A- like Zard X and Y.

B+ -> B: Agreed: Kyurem-B's worst nightmare is Mega Metagross, and now it's on most offensive teams. This mon struggles a lot to actually do something in the meta when its speed tier is outsped by common Scarfers, its best set requires the use of a Z move, and the meta is Steel-heavy. There's a plethora of viable revenger killers for Kyurem-B like Pheromosa, Tapu Lele, Garchomp, etc. and it's just not as good as the other mons in B+ like Chansey, Salamence, and Gyarados. This mon seems comparable to Kartana. A medicore mon that if left unchecked can do lots of damage, but if checked properly gets stopped pretty hard. Bump it down to B.

My personal nomination: (I have more that I might post later, but I'll just do this one for now)

A- -> B+: For bulky grasses, the main niche it has over Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur is Spore...which is negated by Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain. On top of that, Amoonguss lacks the same offensive presence that Mega Venusaur has, and doesn't check nearly as many things as Tangrowth does. Its secondary Poison typing makes this thing set up fodder for SubCoil Zygarde as Clear Smog doesn't work when Zygarde is behind a Sub. Its lack of offensive presence and pitiful speed can make this just food for some offensive mons. It's generally outclassed by the other two bulky grasses and therefore the ranks should reflect this, Tangrowth being A, Mega Venusaur being A-, and Amoonguss being B+.

Also glad to see Mega Garchomp finally drop, but still waiting on that Thundurus-T rise

I cannot see Kyurem-B dropping too B. I find it better than hoopa-U because of its speed tier when invested that lets in tie lele. Its band set just hits insanely hard, band often runs iron head which OHKOs most tapus. and the scarf set lets it catch stuff like Mega metagross on the switch. Being able to hit Rotom-W through levitate is also great.
Here are some calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 523-616 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 330-390 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 172-204 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 172-204 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Kyurem-B can pull of some other more niche sets like specs and z-freeze shock.
Also while its typing is awful it packs a few good resists to grass, water and electric. 125/100/90 is actually good bulk, much better then some other wallbreakers.

Kyurem-Black shouldn't be B+ or B imo. Anything with 170 Attack and 120 Special Attack with the Speed and bulk that Kyurem-Black has is an immediate threat. This thing is capable of breaking down so many balance cores and puts so much pressure on defensive teams its unreal. The Choice Band and mixed sets are easily the best sets imo, and its very clear that this thing is a threat that should never be ignored. I'd say its on par with Hoopa-Unbound in terms of breaking and its much bulkier and its faster than Hoopa-Unbound as well. As exlipsebeast said, Ice/Dragon is a very bad type, but it's resistances are very useful, its coverage is amazing, and its Outrages. Oh my God, its Outrages are nukes. Once Fairies are gone, good luck trying to stomach a Banded Outrage with STAB off of 170 Attack. This mon is definitely worth a teamslot, and it should move up.

I cannot see Kyurem-B dropping too B. I find it better than hoopa-U because of its speed tier when invested that lets in tie lele. Its band set just hits insanely hard, band often runs iron head which OHKOs most tapus. and the scarf set lets it catch stuff like Mega metagross on the switch. Being able to hit Rotom-W through levitate is also great.
Here are some calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 523-616 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 330-390 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Kyurem-B can pull of some other more niche sets like specs and z-freeze shock.
Also while its typing is awful it packs a few good resists to grass, water and electric. 125/100/90 is actually good bulk, much better then some other wallbreakers.

A couple of issues here. We all are aware that Kyurem-B can hit Rotom-W with earth power, but why is that relevant? How does this fact actually support your argument that it should not drop. It doesn't in any way -- you are merely stating a fact that is completely irrelevant. Similarly, we are aware that it has good bulk for an offensive mon, but again you are pulling at straw here by listing facts that are well known. A wall of random calcs doesn't prove your argument. I'm repeating myself here but what relevance does the calc of it 2HKOing Chansey have with its Kyurum's viability?

You are hyping up its scarf set but fail to see the issue with scarf Kyurem, mainly that it's way too prediction reliant and can literally be setup fodder for so much shit you'd rather not let in for free. Just an example: Volcarona is significantly more common and threatening this generation, so by clicking ice beam/earth power with scarf Kyurem, you are literal setup fodder. Other examples include shift gear Magearna, SD m-scizor, autotomize celestella, SD bulu, CM lele, etc. Of course this depends on the move you are locked into, but with smart play, a good opponent can capitalize on your Kyurem (for example if it's on an otherwise slow bulky offensive build, it's highly likely that Kyurem will be scarfed so you can actually have speed control). This doesn't even take into account the fact that you are forced to predict in every situation to not let in the inevitable metagross, because frankly it will get a kill on the team Kyurem is on (HO and BO teams can't really afford to run something that can switch into metagross everytime). The only decent set is with the ice z-move, but that doesn't warrant it to stay where it is now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)