Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

I legit can't think of any reason why azumarill is meant to have huge power (and, by pure chance, was actually thinking about it earlier today). Google searching it yields no real answers - even google image searching for stuff like "azumarill mochi" or "azumarill rabbit on the moon" in japanese doesn't net a single piece of fan art, which gives me the feeling that it's not meant to be that.
If anything the joke is its a cute doofy rabbit being called a muscleman. Now THAT i've seen lots of fan art of.

Of course the real question is who all on staff liked Azumarill enough to give it such a significant buff before many other pokemon.

Also the fly question going on reminds me: why can Garchomp not learn fly?
Several of its pokedex entries say it flies around. Its design is partially based on a jet. The anime shows it flying all the time. And yet, can not learn Fly.
The fact it will often be shown flying in other media makes it even sillier than Gyarados not getting it.

If anything the joke is its a cute doofy rabbit being called a muscleman. Now THAT i've seen lots of fan art of.

Of course the real question is who all on staff liked Azumarill enough to give it such a significant buff before many other pokemon.

Several of its pokedex entries say it flies around. Its design is partially based on a jet. The anime shows it flying all the time. And yet, can not learn Fly.
The fact it will often be shown flying in other media makes it even sillier than Gyarados not getting it.
Arguably because it wasn't that much of a buff when it got it.

They gave Azumarill Huge Power in Gen 3, back when all Water moves were special so it couldn't use Huge Power in conjunction with STAB. You had Strength and Hidden Power but really not much to abuse this new ability. It didn't get it's physical water STAB until the next gen, nor Fairy STAB and Knock Off until Gen 6. Azumarill's one of those Pokémon that slowly got better as time went on; buffs being trinkled down in little bits throughout each gen.

Forget other media - Garchomp flies (or rather, glides) in the scrapped Sun/Moon running animation!

Arguably because it wasn't that much of a buff when it got it.

They gave Azumarill Huge Power in Gen 3, back when all Water moves were special so it couldn't use Huge Power in conjunction with STAB. You had Strength and Hidden Power but really not much to abuse this new ability. It didn't get it's physical water STAB until the next gen, nor Fairy STAB and Knock Off until Gen 6. Azumarill's one of those Pokémon that slowly got better as time went on; buffs being trinkled down in little bits throughout each gen.
In terms of "physical water type" it's in the same boat as Gyarados was. Now that's not an entirely fair comparison since Gyarados had Intimidate and other good stats to make up for it, but the physical Gyarados move pool was about as dire as Azumarill. Just trade Brick Break out for Earthquake.
So while it wasn't an ~amazing~ buff it still gave Azumarill way more usability.

Still, someone at least liked Azumarill enough to keep giving it buffs over time.

I never bought that Lele was supposed to be a butterfly. It's too fat (relative to butterfly proportions) and its "wings" are too small. It looks like a snail to me when it's doing Guardian of Alola.

Uh erh, shitposting aside... isn't it weird how a number of squirrel-like pokemon, animals that are know for their hoarding habits, don't actually learn Stockpile? I'm thinking of Pachirisu, Emolga and the likes.

Uh erh, shitposting aside... isn't it weird how a number of squirrel-like pokemon, animals that are know for their hoarding habits, don't actually learn Stockpile? I'm thinking of Pachirisu, Emolga and the likes.
For that matter... Pachirisu is the only one that gets the much more fitting Pickup ability.

Don't know why but I get such a disproportionately huge kick out of going behind the meaning of a move, or the origin of a Pokemon concept - and finding something that got lost in translation but that makes the move fit once you know it. So satisfying haha.

For a long time I didn't understand why Lucario got Bone Rush, and in fact it kind of annoyed me that it was allowed to intrude on one of the Cubone family's signature moves. Like the ultimate fanboy Pokemon needed more gimmicks. But then I thought about its concept originating with Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead with the head of a canine, and suddenly it seemed like a much more comfortable fit.

Slightly different vein, but I'm using a Stufful in-game at the moment that recently evolved into Bewear, and it learned Bind upon evolution, which seemed very out of place, what with the lack of tentacles, vines, coils etc. But yeah then you think about Bewear's concept as the 'killer hug', and in terms of available Pokemon moves to capture that idea of a spine-snapping fatal embrace, Bind seems like as good an option as any.

Maybe Guillotine? :/

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Don't know why but I get such a disproportionately huge kick out of going behind the meaning of a move, or the origin of a Pokemon concept - and finding something that got lost in translation but that makes the move fit once you know it. So satisfying haha.

For a long time I didn't understand why Lucario got Bone Rush, and in fact it kind of annoyed me that it was allowed to intrude on one of the Cubone family's signature moves. Like the ultimate fanboy Pokemon needed more gimmicks. But then I thought about its concept originating with Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead with the head of a canine, and suddenly it seemed like a much more comfortable fit.

Slightly different vein, but I'm using a Stufful in-game at the moment that recently evolved into Bewear, and it learned Bind upon evolution, which seemed very out of place, what with the lack of tentacles, vines, coils etc. But yeah then you think about Bewear's concept as the 'killer hug', and in terms of available Pokemon moves to capture that idea of a spine-snapping fatal embrace, Bind seems like as good an option as any.

Maybe Guillotine? :/
No, Guillotine is cutting, not crushing like what Bewear does. There is no OHKO moves that involve crushing the opponent into unconsciousness, which is a bit odd. We have cutting in half, drilling through, dropping down a crevice, and freezing; but no crushing. Actually we don't have a lot of what you'd think would be a OHKO move: crushing, suffocating, quick-acting lethal poison, incinerating (seriously, no Fire-type OHKO but Ice gets one?), drowning, electrocution; we could even go to things like pressure points, soul snuffing, and mind crushing. You could probably come up with a OHKO for each type, though then again that's probably why they don't. All OHKO moves but Sheer Cold have a type that's immune to it, and Ice probably got one probably as a form of compensation for having a status ailment that has a low chance of happening ("Should we improve the Freeze mechanic and make it more common?" "Nah, how about we give them a OHKO move instead, they already have a status ailment with a low chance of happening so what's another gonna hurt?").

Besides Bewear has plenty of crushing moves it has at its disposal... it doesn't learn Crush Claw? Wait, okay, apparently Crush Claw is called "Break Claw" in Japan and is more about slashing the opponent. Only "crushing" move is Crush Grip which is the Signature Move of Regigigas... but you know what, why not also give it to Bewear? Plenty of Signature Moves, including ones of Legendary Pokemon, have gone to other Pokemon in later generations and this one makes perfect sense.

Actually Bewear is missing a few moves I'd think it would have now looking at its movepool: Block, Defense Curl, Endure, Play Nice, Tearful Look, & Submission.

Actually Bewear is missing a few moves I'd think it would have now looking at its movepool: Block, Defense Curl, Endure, Play Nice, Tearful Look, & Submission.
Considering Bewear kills people with hugs I don't think it actually plays nice.
And Ice is immune to Sheer Cold as of gen VII btw ( one would think that should've been a thing from day 1, right? ).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Considering Bewear kills people with hugs I don't think it actually plays nice.
And Ice is immune to Sheer Cold as of gen VII btw (one would think that should've been a thing from day 1, right? ).
Not from Bewear's perspective. :P

Trainer: Bewear, why don't you "Play Nice" with the other trainer's Pokemon?
Bewear: SURE!
*Goes over and start hugging the other trainer's Pokemon*
Bewear: I will name George, and I will hug him, and pet him, and squeeze him... George, why did you stop moving?... George?... GEORGE, NOOOO!
Trainer: *Pats Bewear* That'll do, Bewear, that'll do.
Bewear: *Teary eyes* Hug?
Trainer: Not in my life.
Bewear: TT~TT

As for Ice resisting Sheer Cold, well I guess that both proves and nulls my point.

Not from Bewear's perspective. :P

Trainer: Bewear, why don't you "Play Nice" with the other trainer's Pokemon?
Bewear: SURE!
*Goes over and start hugging the other trainer's Pokemon*
Bewear: I will name George, and I will hug him, and pet him, and squeeze him... George, why did you stop moving?... George?... GEORGE, NOOOO!
Trainer: *Pats Bewear* That'll do, Bewear, that'll do.
Bewear: *Teary eyes* Hug?
Trainer: Not in my life.
Bewear: TT~TT
If Bewear not getting Play Nice looks weird to you, then it not getting Play Rough should be the same, right?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Plenty of Signature Moves, including ones of Legendary Pokemon, have gone to other Pokemon in later generations and this one makes perfect sense.
Have they, really? The only example I can think of from Legendary Pokémon is Entei getting Sacred Fire, and that was between two legendaries. There were also events with Darkrai getting Roar of Time and Spacial Rend, and V-Create Rayquaza, but same story. Most other Legendary signature moves have stayed that way. Signature abilities (namely, Drizzle and Drought) have gone to other Pokémon. though.

Have they, really? The only example I can think of from Legendary Pokémon is Entei getting Sacred Fire, and that was between two legendaries. There were also events with Darkrai getting Roar of Time and Spacial Rend, and V-Create Rayquaza, but same story. Most other Legendary signature moves have stayed that way. Signature abilities (namely, Drizzle and Drought) have gone to other Pokémon. though.
Sacred Sword has gone from a Musketeer Quartet-only move to being given out to other sharp Pokemon such as Aegislash and Kartana.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Moltres: Sky Attack was its Signature Move in Gen II.
Ho-Oh: Entei got Sacred Fire in Gen V.
Manaphy: Magearna got Heart Swap in Gen VII.
Swords of Justice: Honedge family & now Kartana have it.

Okay, "plenty" is an over exaggeration, at least for Legendary Pokemon. What I probably should have said is that if a later released Pokemon just so happens to fit the niche a Legendary's Signature Move describes it has sometime been given to that Pokemon. Sure there are also examples that go against that idea, but its still a precedence that exists. I feel that Bewear could have been given Crush Grip and it would have fit it perfectly (or at least better than Wring Out which does the same thing but the context is different enough it doesn't quite fit Bewear).

If Bewear not getting Play Nice looks weird to you, then it not getting Play Rough should be the same, right?
Yes, though do remember that Play Rough's Japanese name is "Frolic", though I can see it frolicking so...

What was Sacred Sword called in Japan? Because the Musketeers themselves don't have any structure particularly resembling a blade (the horns are more akin to something like a Lance). I can see it on the obviously blade like Aegislash line or Kartana with the translated name.

And in the case of some others

- Moltres: Sky attack is admittedly kind of a vague theme for the attack (imagine if we had "Water Attack" or "Fire Attack"), and even within Moltres's trio it's just one of three avians.

- Ho-oh: Entei is one of the three mons revived by Ho-oh, so it makes sense it would have connection to that signature fire. In fact, the Manga shows Entei's flames can heal people as well, which is reminiscent of Ho-oh's flames having the power to imbue life. Seems like a relatively logical move to gain when it's already fire themed.

- Manaphy: This is another case where I'm curious about the specifics of Heart Swap's name and description. Honestly, I barely see the connection to Manaphy when compared to Magearna: Most I remember is it giving Manaphy a sense of mental empathy or to swap two other peoples' minds rather than its own (anime and Smash Bros), whereas Magearna's ability and Pokedex describes it as being able to share in the same pain as other beings outright, and I can't find citation but can't it absorb life energy in a manner like the Ultimate Weapon? More to the point, Manaphy's design just doesn't make me think Heart Swap either, as it just kind of looks like an aquatic aomeba type with its rounded and semi-distinct limbs. Regigigas is large and imposing to support Crush Grip, for example.

What was Sacred Sword called in Japan? Because the Musketeers themselves don't have any structure particularly resembling a blade (the horns are more akin to something like a Lance). I can see it on the obviously blade like Aegislash line or Kartana with the translated name.
The move is called Sacred Sword (or slight variations) on every language, but the move description mentions a horn. Maybe the "Sword" comes from the fact the original users are the Musketeers. The same happens with Secret Sword.

Also, Sky Attack was not really Moltres's signature move as much as it was the only one that learnt it by level-up until Altaria appeared.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sky Attack used to be a TM in Gen I too, with a dozen Pokémon learning it, so I wouldn't exactly call it a signature move. The only real example of a signature move going from legendaries to commoners is Sacred Sword, and even then it was a little sketchy - for a start, it was originally learnable by four Pokémon.

It's a real shame, though, because many signature moves could fit other Pokémon. Okay, you wouldn't exactly give out Roar of Time to every odd clock-themed Pokémon out there, but stuff like Mist Ball, Luster Purge, Glaciate or Lunar Dance could feasibly find its way to other users without being overpowered. After all, there are identical or stronger widely-distributed moves of the same types out there already. Heck, even Techno Blast, Searing Shot and Bolt Strike could be released to the masses.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Techno Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 442-522 (129.6 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just to give one potential example.
Eh, maybe not Techno Blast since it has the gimmick which needs the Drives which only works with Genesect. Actually, thinking about it, I like Legendaries having Signature Moves, it makes them even more special. My point wasn't that I wanted to give them to any Pokemon that might have a possible chance of learning it, just to ones that without a doubt should get it. Bewear should get Crush Grip, the only issue I can see is the move's animation is a hand grabbing the opponent, but we've had odd move animations that don't represent what the Pokemon is actually doing (like how Iron Defense has the Pokemon throwing up a metal plate) so I think it can be overlooked.

All the talking about Bewear and its crushing hugs made me curious, so I went to check Bulbapedia and saw Bewear doesn't learn Wring Out. It's the move most fitting a life-crushing hug, in my opinion.

Crush Grip could work for it too, but it's the signature move of a legendary so it's kind of ruled out.

All the talking about Bewear and its crushing hugs made me curious, so I went to check Bulbapedia and saw Bewear doesn't learn Wring Out. It's the move most fitting a life-crushing hug, in my opinion.

Crush Grip could work for it too, but it's the signature move of a legendary so it's kind of ruled out.
Most things that get Wring Out are those with tentacles or something akin to tentacles (I assume Jynx uses its hair). Or your'e a snake.

which leads me to
Why does Gulpin, Guzzlord & ... Necrozma?! get this move.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Most things that get Wring Out are those with tentacles or something akin to tentacles (I assume Jynx uses its hair). Or your'e a snake.

which leads me to
Why does Gulpin, Guzzlord & ... Necrozma?! get this move.
Gulpin maybe spits its guts out at the opponent like a starfish or something, while Guzzlord already has its weird tentacle-mouth-hand things.

Stumped on Necrozma.

Gulpin maybe spits its guts out at the opponent like a starfish or something, while Guzzlord already has its weird tentacle-mouth-hand things.

Stumped on Necrozma.
while on the subject of necrozma i also have to ask why it gets Thunder Wave & Charge Beam but neither Thunderbolt or Thunder

Even Regirock gets the full set. And so does both of Necrozma's counterparts.

while on the subject of necrozma i also have to ask why it gets Thunder Wave & Charge Beam but neither Thunderbolt or Thunder

Even Regirock gets the full set. And so does both of Necrozma's counterparts.
From a quick look, it seems there's a handful of Pokemon, particularly Psychic-types, that get Thunder Wave and Charge Beam but not the full set of Electric TMs.

Alazakam, Celebi, Grumpig and Chimecho are a few I've found, there could be others.

It would be cool if there was actually some GF reasoning behind this - along the lines of 'Psychic power can generate a small amount of electricity but not enough to bring down thunderbolts'? Or is that just trying to read a method into the madness?

There's a bunch of Psychics that do get Thunderbolt (Starmie, Mr. Mime, Girafarig, Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Beheeyem, Meowstick, Malamar, and Oranguru, plus almost every Psychic legendary and Alolan Raichu) and/or Thunder (the same legendaries, Alolan Raichu, a couple of things that also learn T-bolt, plus Reuniclus which gets this but not T-bolt because *shrugs*). That's the weird part.

Also Necrozma's movepool is just a little weird in general. Its levelup moves are mostly Psychic and Rock, so I wonder if it was intended to be /Rock at some point (especially given it's basically a big shiny crystal man).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)