(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Honestly I would rather they just improve Forecast normally (mainly have it increase Castform's Special Attack and Speed while transformed).
How about increasing Castform's base stats so they're not garbage even in its base form, something Game Freak has done with other Pokemon since gen 6? Oh wait, Castform's just there for a gimmick and nothing more; Game Freak has no interest in making it any better.

I'm rather annoyed by the Apricorn ball distributions. I'm already annoyed that there's only one of each per game; and while clearly offering these through the Global Missions has been highly successful in providing incentive to smash the goal, which we're going to do yet again with the latest one if we haven't already done so... it's just one more of the offered ball. And it's not even immediate after the mission is over; you have to wait for them to get around to posting the serial codes on the PGL site. At least offer like 5 or 10 of the ball... (though do those who sign up when the goal's been reached but otherwise don't contribute to the mission also get the ball and Rare Candy? Not that it's hard to hatch 3 eggs when the game already asks you to hatch at least 20 to get the Judge function...)

How about increasing Castform's base stats so they're not garbage even in its base form, something Game Freak has done with other Pokemon since gen 6? Oh wait, Castform's just there for a gimmick and nothing more; Game Freak has no interest in making it any better.
Honestly, Conversion was a gimmick too until Z-Moves came out. Who knows what Game Freak has in store in the future. But I agree that the Castform forms should at least get a base stats buff especially since those forms don't last more than for 8 turns.

Honestly, Conversion was a gimmick too until Z-Moves came out. Who knows what Game Freak has in store in the future. But I agree that the Castform forms should at least get a base stats buff especially since those forms don't last more than for 8 turns.
Also Farfetch'd got a big Attack boost to make it less terrible than before.

Thing is, Castform is so horrible nothing feasible will save it from being at the bottom of Pokemon that cannot evolve. It would need to get a Mega, like Glalie (which has barely less horrible stats, and would still be as terrible as before if it lacked Refrigerate Explosion) or a very powerful Z-Move like Eevee's, but what are the chances?

They could just up Castform's base stats across the board by.. oh, 20 points or so. Maybe 30 if they're feeling frisky. That would bring it towards to the level of the 100-across-the-board mythicals, and Castform's movepool has all the moves it could really need.

It would still be a mediocre gimmick, but at least it'd be one you might actually use.

Gen 3 was by far the worst gen for stupid gimmicks. Castform, Plusle and Minun, Spinda, Luvdisc, Slackoth and Slaking. The only one that isn't a complete waste is Shedinja.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Time for an other, actually small and nitpicky annoyance.

In Sun and Moon, NPC dialogue often refers to the first Pokémon in your party. However, the references are always by species name, and not by nickname. Even though the character speaking would logically know what nickname you picked (such as your mother speaking after your first battle, after having witnessed it all and would have heard what you called it), or Lillie after witnessing you re-name Solgaleo or Lunala.

Would it be so hard to write "Insert_nickname" instead of "Insert_speciesname" in the code? In previous generations, even NPCs totally unfamiliar to the player character (like the Happiness Checker) would use the nickname when referring to your Pokémon, so it's not like there is no precedence.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Perhaps a selfish nitpick, but it annoys me that most of the items that you can purchase for BP at whatever battle facility is in your game, you cannot find (at least one copy of) anywhere else in the game. I mean, I'm fine with buying extras from there when needed, but having most of them completely locked away behind BP prices essentially forces players to grind through the facilities with sub-par teams just to get the items they need, especially seeing as how many of the items are training-based necessities such as the Power items and evolution-based items.

-Items such as the Power items shouldn't be locked behind BP prices at all; those should be obtainable or purchasable (with Poke Dollars) somewhere in the main game. Otherwise your methods of training Pokemon become heavily restricted until you grind through the battle facilities with a sub-par team. Having Poke Pelago does help with this now, but that still takes up a lot of real-life time when it's probably faster to just EV train (painfully) without the items.

-I'm fine with being able to buy extra evolution items, but there needs to be at least one copy of said evolution item obtainable somewhere else as well, at least for usage in the main story if not explicitly for the battle facilities. How many games are there now where we have Pokemon like Sneasel and Gligar whom we cannot evolve until the post-game due to their items being BP prizes, even if they're obtainable prior to the National Dex?

-And I'm sure everyone who has played S/M can agree with me on this: don't lock all the damn Mega Stones behind BP prices either, especially when many of those Pokemon essentially can't function without their Megas.

Anyway, what made me think of this is my current playthrough of OR w/ a Poison Heal Shroomish, and the fact that the Toxic and Flame orbs haven't been obtainable prior to the National Dex in any game except B2/W2 (that includes wild Pokemon that could hold them). Most of those battle items in general would be nice to have more readily available during the main story.

Last edited:
Perhaps a selfish nitpick, but it annoys me that most of the items that you can purchase for BP at whatever battle facility is in your game, you cannot find (at least one copy of) anywhere else in the game. I mean, I'm fine with buying extras from there when needed, but having most of them completely locked away behind BP prices essentially forces players to grind through the facilities with sub-par teams just to get the items they need, especially seeing as how many of the items are training-based necessities such as the Power items and evolution-based items.

-Items such as the Power items shouldn't be locked behind BP prices at all; those should be obtainable or purchasable (with Poke Dollars) somewhere in the main game. Otherwise your methods of training Pokemon become heavily restricted until you grind through the battle facilities with a sub-par team. Having Poke Pelago does help with this now, but that still takes up a lot of real-life time when it's probably faster to just EV train (painfully) without the items.

-I'm fine with being able to buy extra evolution items, but there needs to be at least one copy of said evolution item obtainable somewhere else as well, at least for usage in the main story if not explicitly for the battle facilities. How many games are there now where we have Pokemon like Sneasel and Gligar whom we cannot evolve until the post-game due to their items being BP prizes, even if they're obtainable prior to the National Dex?

-And I'm sure everyone who has played S/M can agree with me on this: don't lock all the damn Mega Stones behind BP prices either, especially when many of those Pokemon essentially can't function without their Megas.

Anyway, what made me think of this is my current playthrough of OR w/ a Poison Heal Shroomish, and the fact that the Toxic and Flame orbs haven't been obtainable prior to the National Dex in any game except B2/W2 (that includes wild Pokemon that could hold them). Most of those battle items in general would be nice to have more readily available during the main story.
This so much... If they're going to insist upon making the Power items and Destiny Knot BP prizes, they could at least make the cost very low, like 1 - 2 BP apiece.

Yeah, BP are ridiculous. I don't know why players can't just fucking buy them with in-game munny. The currency is much easier to obtain. Also, the facilities don't even use Smogon's rules!

The inability to skip cutscenes bothers me, especially when the Pokémon core series revolves around gameplay. This isn't Zelda, even if the timeline is pretty close to that status. Heck, even fellow RPG Yo-kai Watch has allowed players to skip cutscenes since the first game!

The lack of major update patches annoys me greatly, now that they're quite useful on the 3DS. It's not like we get new Pokémon in the middle of a generation, anyway. Even if the games sell regardless, people that preferred XY couldn't even use that file for rated battles if Kalos was their main. Once again, at least Level-5 knows that free update patches should have reasonable content, while glitches should have been worked on before the game released. It is possible that Game Freak and Pokémon may go toward the DLC route once the series moves to the Switch, just because the franchise's brand prints munny alone. I just hope the 3DS doesn't sacrifice itself for iOS and Android.

Yeah, BP are ridiculous. I don't know why players can't just fucking buy them with in-game munny. The currency is much easier to obtain. Also, the facilities don't even use Smogon's rules!

The inability to skip cutscenes bothers me, especially when the Pokémon core series revolves around gameplay. This isn't Zelda, even if the timeline is pretty close to that status. Heck, even fellow RPG Yo-kai Watch has allowed players to skip cutscenes since the first game!

The lack of major update patches annoys me greatly, now that they're quite useful on the 3DS. It's not like we get new Pokémon in the middle of a generation, anyway. Even if the games sell regardless, people that preferred XY couldn't even use that file for rated battles if Kalos was their main. Once again, at least Level-5 knows that free update patches should have reasonable content, while glitches should have been worked on before the game released. It is possible that Game Freak and Pokémon may go toward the DLC route once the series moves to the Switch, just because the franchise's brand prints munny alone. I just hope the 3DS doesn't sacrifice itself for iOS and Android.
Game Freak doesn't want to do it, and as Codraroll has often said, wants to ensure that players who want the new full experience pony up the dough to buy the new games. We also don't know if the series truly is moving to the Switch. "Pokemon Stars" may be just something special for the Switch, and the main series will be sticking with the 3DS until Nintendo's ready to retire it for the next dedicated handheld. The Switch isn't intended to replace the 3DS, after all. (so Nintendo claims, but who really knows what they've got up their sleeves)

Something annoying about the competitive items is the items with breeding purposes.

What exactly? That there are four different special modifiers on three items (set a nature, set a regional form, inherit 5 IVs and guarantee one inherited IV) for breeding... when breeding involves two Pokemon.

You have to constantly do parent switching just for the items, which is quite a waste of time.

Perhaps if they moved those effects to an NPC...

Even with IV training, there is still no way to change a Pokémon's nature, which completely defeats the purpose of using Pokémon like random shinies competitively. However, this would probably take some flak from PETA and the like; what exactly makes a Pokémon timid...?

Something annoying about the competitive items is the items with breeding purposes.

What exactly? That there are four different special modifiers on three items (set a nature, set a regional form, inherit 5 IVs and guarantee one inherited IV) for breeding... when breeding involves two Pokemon.

You have to constantly do parent switching just for the items, which is quite a waste of time.

Perhaps if they moved those effects to an NPC...
Eh, Destiny Knot makes the Power items pointless for inheriting IV's. Bigger problem is the incense if you need a baby to get a certain egg move. (Pichu is exempt because thanks to Catastropika, Volt Tackle is now a tutor move for Pikachu if you really want it)
Even with IV training, there is still no way to change a Pokémon's nature, which completely defeats the purpose of using Pokémon like random shinies competitively. However, this would probably take some flak from PETA and the like; what exactly makes a Pokémon timid...?
Oh don't worry. PETA already has a thing against Pokemon, and these other groups can easily find stupid things valid concerns to point out about fictional creatures in a video game.

Eh, Destiny Knot makes the Power items pointless for inheriting IV's. Bigger problem is the incense if you need a baby to get a certain egg move. (Pichu is exempt because thanks to Catastropika, Volt Tackle is now a tutor move for Pikachu if you really want it)
Ah, right, I forgot about the incenses. Well, that gives even more parent switching.

I can't imagine what plausible way there could be to change Natures. Conceptually, how could that possibly be justified? Gameplay-wise, you're at that point barely removed anymore from just genning 'mons. It's a horrible, unjustifiable idea, just as actual IV-editing was and is (fortunately, Hyper Training doesn't actually edit them).

There still needs to be a degree of effort to make a competitive Pokemon. Whether it's through breeding or Hyper Training and I think for an average 5IV mon with 252/252 spread the effort is just about right at the moment, especially for beginners. More 'advanced' EV spreads require more effort but that's still ok since only dedicated players would want them anyway so the basics are simple enough for beginners. Maybe having 0 Speed IVs could be a tad easier since that is important in online play at the moment making the entry requirement a bit more difficult for new players. There's also the fact to begin with you have to do quite a bit of online research into breeding mechanics such as egg move inheritance which I'm pretty sure is no information in game about them. Why not at least have the option to spend BP to teach egg moves?

Having said that I'm ~200 eggs into breeding an HP Ground Salazzle which is getting into ridiculous territory.

Is it just me or in-game hax has increased a lot starting from Gen 5?
I seem to suffer misses and critical hits very often and more often than not, the effect of Static and Effect Spore kicks in when I attack. Plus, the amount of confusion-inducing moves spammers in-game (worse when coupled with Evasion) is rage-inducing. My Pokemon never seem to recover from confusion and keep on trying to faint itself most of the time.

This, it's always such a shame. So many games on the 3DS have a skip cutscene option, why not Pokemon? The game is cutscene heavy, and not having the option confuses me. I cannot think of a single reason to not implement one, at least for second playthroughs.

The inability to skip cutscenes bothers me, especially when the Pokémon core series revolves around gameplay. This isn't Zelda, even if the timeline is pretty close to that status.
To add to that, in Breath of the Wild you actually CAN skip the majority of cutscenes now, so even Zelda, a franchise that just like Pokemon can be notoriously backwards with some things, has moved past this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)