Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why isn't there a Gen 7 3v3 (random) mode?
Sun & Moon have removed Triple Battles that's why we dont have it. Or if you're referring to Battle Spot like randoms (3v3), well then it'll be even more heavily luck based and unbalanced and likely why there isn't one.

Sun & Moon have removed Triple Battles that's why we dont have it. Or if you're referring to Battle Spot like randoms (3v3), well then it'll be even more heavily luck based and unbalanced and likely why there isn't one.
Is there a valid reason? The mode was already implemented after all. Why didn't they keep it?

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Triple Battles are not present in S/M at all and the ladder for it in the past generation had quite a lot of low activity, so that's likely the reason why.

Ceteris Paribus

I am inevitable.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, I´m new to forums and stuff, but it seems pretty cool, I love random battles and I would like some tips for monotype battles
Hey there welcome, if u wanna get some tips and also better experience in the metagame I would suggest going to the Monotype room on PS!, there's also some forums u could take a look at and read up on current discussions in monotype

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/monotype.395/ You can find a few on here

Hey, I've been around on some of the other servers and found some metagames that I can't find an explanation for, mainly Mega Tier, Catch and Evolve, Doutype, Perseverance and Blindmons. If someone could give a brief explanation to these metas it'd be appreciated!

Hey Guys, I hope that is the right place to post this:

I really like the idea of playing a (unofficial) Draft League format like GBA for example on Showdown and I am sure many of you do as well. When I asked about this in Showdown chatrooms I got kinda weird answers. In "Help" they told me that it is forbidden to advertise Draft League formats so they couldn't help me find people to play. I didn't get an explanation to why. So I asked a similar question in the "Tournament" room where people told me that Draft Leagues aren't allowed on Showdown at all. Again no explanation, only thing I got was a list of approved formats.

I also posted a thread in the reddit community for comp mons (/r/stunfisk) about the topic as I am more active there than here. The thread was shut down immediately by an auto-moderator saying that Draft League related posts are not allowed. Again, no explanation. At this point I was like wth am I dealing with black magic or what.

So can you guys maybe tell me what's this all about? Why should't there be some unofficial just for fun Draft Leagues organized in some forums and played on Showdown? Or am I missing something? I mean some GBA matches are also played on Showdown.

Thx for any explanations/suggestions!

Just to clarify: I don't want to organize a Draft League, since I am probably lacking the necessary experience and definitely lacking the necessary time. I just wanna take part and have fun.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Guys, I hope that is the right place to post this:

I really like the idea of playing a (unofficial) Draft League format like GBA for example on Showdown and I am sure many of you do as well. When I asked about this in Showdown chatrooms I got kinda weird answers. In "Help" they told me that it is forbidden to advertise Draft League formats so they couldn't help me find people to play. I didn't get an explanation to why. So I asked a similar question in the "Tournament" room where people told me that Draft Leagues aren't allowed on Showdown at all. Again no explanation, only thing I got was a list of approved formats.

I also posted a thread in the reddit community for comp mons (/r/stunfisk) about the topic as I am more active there than here. The thread was shut down immediately by an auto-moderator saying that Draft League related posts are not allowed. Again, no explanation. At this point I was like wth am I dealing with black magic or what.

So can you guys maybe tell me what's this all about? Why should't there be some unofficial just for fun Draft Leagues organized in some forums and played on Showdown? Or am I missing something? I mean some GBA matches are also played on Showdown.

Thx for any explanations/suggestions!

Just to clarify: I don't want to organize a Draft League, since I am probably lacking the necessary experience and definitely lacking the necessary time. I just wanna take part and have fun.
The direct reason is that advertising is banned by the Showdown rules, and organizing/inviting people to draft leagues falls under that. As for the indirect answer, it's because requests get spammy/annoying and don't actually contribute to chat or further discussion. If allowed, they can choke out actual discussion and make the community a rather less inviting place to hang out. I can't directly say why Reddit also disallows them but I'd imagine it's for the same general reasons.

The direct reason is that advertising is banned by the Showdown rules, and organizing/inviting people to draft leagues falls under that. As for the indirect answer, it's because requests get spammy/annoying and don't actually contribute to chat or further discussion. If allowed, they can choke out actual discussion and make the community a rather less inviting place to hang out. I can't directly say why Reddit also disallows them but I'd imagine it's for the same general reasons.
Ok I get that now thanks. I hope I didn't annoy anyone, I assumed it had something to do with the format itself rather than with the chatrooms and that rly confused me. So where might be a more suitable place to talk about stuff like that?

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok I get that now thanks. I hope I didn't annoy anyone, I assumed it had something to do with the format itself rather than with the chatrooms and that rly confused me. So where might be a more suitable place to talk about stuff like that?
Both PS! and the Smogon forums ban any kind of advertising, so I don't believe there's a suitable place for it anywhere within Smogon.

I think that's a shame to be honest! I don't feel the need to treat draft leagues like illegal business but whatever. I guess they have their reasons and so be it. Thanks for the answers.

Ceteris Paribus

I am inevitable.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know that this may stupid, buuut my showdown server doesn't have the 'monotype random battle' option, is it like exclusive to certain servers??
Yeah it isn't there since it can't be laddered, the only way for you to find it is if you directly challenge someone. When you click their name and click "challenge" you should be able to see monotype random battle on the list on formats

I know that this may stupid, buuut my showdown server doesn't have the 'monotype random battle' option, is it like exclusive to certain servers??
if it's your server (and you want monotype randoms as a ladder option) go to your config/formats.js and in the monotype random battle section remove
the entire line that says searchShow: false
if you go into your config and your completely missing mono randoms you might want to redownload the config.js from the server repo or copy/paste the format from the repo config.js file (https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/config/formats.js#L580)

Hi, I am totally new on this site, is there a way to play gen 4 random battle? or random battles for every generations becasue I cannot find it anywhere, only gen 7 and gen 1 please help
The main server has far too many users to be able to afford to run every single format, but you can try some of the smaller side servers to see whether they have the format you're looking for.

Where do I go for help? I have no idea what I want to do anymore for a team. I have been beaten into nothing constantly and just at rock bottom. I do not have time for tutoring so please help in another way. Please and thanks.

Where do I go for help? I have no idea what I want to do anymore for a team. I have been beaten into nothing constantly and just at rock bottom. I do not have time for tutoring so please help in another way. Please and thanks.
The answer will vary depending on which tier you are playing, but all tiers should have some helpful resources for players to learn about the tier. For example, the OU subforum has resources such as a Viability Rankings (whats good in the tier), Speed Tiers (For determining speed creep evs), and a general guide to the OU subforum, and on PS theres the OU room. Theres also the SmogDex which contains an analysis on most viable Pokemon for each tier describing how to use the Pokemon, good movesets, potential checks and counters, and good teammates. If your looking for another tier, then you can try looking through the Competitive Discussion Subforums which contains links to other subforums such as UU, Other Metagames, and Smogon Doubles.

The answer will vary depending on which tier you are playing, but all tiers should have some helpful resources for players to learn about the tier. For example, the OU subforum has resources such as a Viability Rankings (whats good in the tier), Speed Tiers (For determining speed creep evs), and a general guide to the OU subforum, and on PS theres the OU room. Theres also the SmogDex which contains an analysis on most viable Pokemon for each tier describing how to use the Pokemon, good movesets, potential checks and counters, and good teammates. If your looking for another tier, then you can try looking through the Competitive Discussion Subforums which contains links to other subforums such as UU, Other Metagames, and Smogon Doubles.
OU is the format BUT I do not know how to tie all that together and make a team. Every other battle, I run into something I just can't break through. I try to put hazards, they get defogged, then I'm forced to switch, so they switch. Basically, i'm always on the ropes against someone because the teams i use just suck. I have not seen anything on the site that has proven to be much help on this situation or for team building in general.

Honestly, the way i'm feeling right now makes me think I should stop playing. Players have even said I suck so bad that I should quit too so idk.

OU is the format BUT I do not know how to tie all that together and make a team. Every other battle, I run into something I just can't break through. I try to put hazards, they get defogged, then I'm forced to switch, so they switch. Basically, i'm always on the ropes against someone because the teams i use just suck. I have not seen anything on the site that has proven to be much help on this situation or for team building in general.

Honestly, the way i'm feeling right now makes me think I should stop playing. Players have even said I suck so bad that I should quit too so idk.
Everyone was there at some point. If you're having trouble with teambuilding, you can copy a team from http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-sample-teams.3598705/ and try using that until you become experienced enough to build your own team.
Success is largely a matter of hanging on. Please don't quit.

Okay, now for my question. I know how to get hidden avatars, so is it okay if I tell everyone how to get hidden avatars?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)