Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Normalium Mosa was intended as a lure for Toxapex almost exclusively, whether I find that viable is up in the air... but it's where the inspiration for that set came into play.

Like I said, it's one suggestion. It's not a 'must pick' or 'lol r u trolling?' if people don't, as each set has different values.
Phero used it because Toxapex resisted literally every other attack it learned except Fling and Hidden Power. There's no reason for Kartana to do that when Leaf Blade hits for neutral damage. Going through S to A-, the only things you can't hit neutrally with Steel/Grass/Fighting coverage are A-Wak and Char-Y, which Giga doesn't help you beat.

Last edited:
While I agree Kartana could rise (good speed tier with stupidly high Attack and good defense with the ability to run a couple different sets, it can break through fatter teams easily), you are misinformed about Z-Giga actually doing things.

252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 199-235 (65.4 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Do not use Z-Giga Kartana please

On to my own nom

Unranked -> C
So this mon got a lot worse between gens, it now faces competition from Tapu Koko as an electric type with a good speed tier now, but I feel like leaving it unranked is inaccurate to its viability. Life Orb 4 Attacks is outclassed, as is pretty much every other set, except for SubCM, which is probably its best set atm and is legit good. I've had a lot of success with it when laddering. People are unprepared for it since like no one uses it, and it can catch people off guard too.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is the set I've been using, and it works great. It works as an effective late game cleaner and wind condition. It sets up or gets a Sub on mons like Zapdos, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, etc. It has decent natural bulk, at 90/75/100, which is more than Tapu Koko and Thundurus. It also isn't weak to Stealth Rock which is everywhere right now like Thundurus is, which is another benefit it has over the other electrics. Its speed tier allows it to outspeed Mega Metagross, which is the biggest one. BoltBeam coverage lets it break through Zygarde, Lando-T, Garchomp, etc. It also has an amazing match up vs Trick Room oddly.

Some replays:
These are two games I played vs Trick Room, and it dealt with them pretty easily.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-561869992
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-561871129

Here's one vs a pretty standard team, Raikou is able to clean up at the end and use Fini as fodder.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-561760557

It isn't the best mon, and it has its flaws, but its strengths are definitely that of a viable Pokemon to me.
Raikou is even outclassed as a cming electric type by tapu koko. Koko can run roost (reliable recovery is huge, frees up the option to forgo lefties for a z crystal or whatever) or taunt over substitute, while still having that sexy 130 speed tier. The change in bulk that lets raikou sub on zap, which is admittedly nice, but as far as I can tell neither can sub on fini without at least cm, 1 for kou and 2 for koko (0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raikou: 51-61 (30.9 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery vs 0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 43-52 (29.4 - 35.6%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery), though koko is better with roost over sub anyway. The pure electric typing only helps with checking sciz a bit better, which is also nice but not quite enough to get ranked over imo.

Game 1: Koko also could've subbed on uxie if it was running sub; here's neutral hidden power: 0 SpA Uxie Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 23-28 (15.7 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery. Unless uxies have suddenly started running modest + max spatk, koko is fine, though hp isn't exactly standard so who knows unless we see the dude's evs. Now, raikou KO'd mawile on turn 6, which would mean koko's electric terrain would have worn off. Despite that, it still OHKOs max HP mawile with the same amount of boosts as raikou had and no terrain:
+3 252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 160-190 (101.9 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO. Unless mega maw on TR runs some spdef, the boost in power post terrain is irrelevant.
Game 2: Again, raikou didn't do anything koko couldn't, don't think I have to go into detail here.
Game 3 is the only noteworthy one, because raikou's extra bulk and typing do make a difference. Here's koko at +1 spdef against fini again: 0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 43-52 (29.4 - 35.6%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery, which isn't enough to keep a substitute with. This would be a pretty big issue for an electric type whose only form of recovery is lefties, but a cm + roost koko boosts to its heart's content against fini barring a crit. However, running roost over substitute allows it to be rkd by mega meta. Koko without terrain is weaker than raikou, so you don't need a calc to tell you +1 tbolt from koko doesn't ohko either, but defensively koko crumbles to bp mega meta: 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 124-147 (84.9 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO + 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 55-66 (37.6 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery; it probably wouldn't even need to resort to bp, since there's no way fini would let it get out at full hp and eq and zen both do upwards of 70%.
So, basically, raikou's niche is that of a cm using electric type that can sub up on fini at +1 and can check mega meta, mega scizor, and zap better than koko can. Is that worth a rank when cm koko which usually outclasses it isn't on the sets viability ranks at all? I mean bainbait mega meta is one of the best mons in tier, so it might be. I don't think so personally, but more replays might change my mind.
TL;DR don't rank raikou yet

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
As far as I can tell, Raikou's main (probably only) advantage over Koko as a SubCM user is its ability to set up on Magearna's Flash Cannon and Amoonguss's Clear Smog. However, being outsped by Greninja and especially Dugtrio are quite damning disadvantages. Even if Raikou may outperform Tapu Koko as a Calm Mind user, I feel Calm Mind Electrics just don't seem to be very effective in this meta compared to other more explosive setup Electrics, like Thundurus-I, Thundurus-T, and even Xurkitree.

So Noisy

sehna padega thoda
from A+ ---> A

The fact that its so slow and relies on sucker punch for faster targets forces mindgames and only certain types of teambuilds. I personally have used SD and AoA sets and the results have been nice but the fact that it has somewhat a hard time setting up a SD or plain attacking in general due to its mediocre bulk and given how offensive the meta is. It also has to fight for the mega slot over for e.g - Metagross which is almost as powerful and has a decent speed tier and great natural bulk and probably the best mega around and the newly released Medicham which has a better speed tier and in itself is a terrifying wallbreaker. Dont get me wrong it still is a potent threat and a great pokemon in general but the fact it needs a decent amount of support and its checks are basically pokemon that can live sucker punch actually loses its viability(to me atleast).

Drop from C+ to C---Unranked

With the Pheromosa ban and the rise of Protean Ninja over Battle Bond, Primarina has a rough time trying to wallbreaking as the meta is going faster and more offensive. Sharing Tapu Fini's typing in this meta doesn't help either, as a lot of teams are overprepared for luring it. Also, the increasing viability/usage of Ferro, AV Tangrowth, AV Magnezone and Zapdos makes it harder to break the usual balance cores. There's a lot of wallbreakers faster and more powerful shadowing Primarina, specially now with the addition of M-Medicham. I can understand M-Medi and Primarina can form a great wallbreaking core due to Specs Prim one-shooting AWak and M-Sableye, but again it faces competition from Tapu Lele to, I would dare to say, Tankfable, which has access to Fire Blast and T-bolt.
Welp. This is gonna sound like I'm some sort of Primarina's fanboy (which truth be told I kinda am) so I apologize for any possible biased statements I might write.

Fairy typed Specs users generally struggle against some of the stuff you mentioned + things like Sp.Def Celesteela, Jirachi and AV A-Muk, and while most of them naturally outspeed Prima (and thus force it to switch out), they get worn out pretty quickly too. You also have to rely the opponent doesn't make the right prediction, otherwise Ferrothorn & Tangrowth gets 2KOd by HP Fire/Moonblast (the latter needs to be worn out first tho), AV Magnezone receives 60-70% damage from Hydro Pump and most Zapdoses(?) usually want to be physically defensive to handle Mega Metagross or go the Roost + 3 attacks route.

Second, while Primarina is definitively a viable wallbreaker, it requires some support to work well. It also faces some competition from the way more splashable and user friendly Tapu Lele, which is why I believe it's C+ atm.

All being said, I do agree with Sun King to make it drop to C only because Protean Greninja (the bane of pretty much every fairy in the metagame + everyone else) is everywhere and thus forces you to use a scouter or something faster like Koko to beat it.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I mean...people used Z-Hyper Beam Pheromosa, and that was considered a legitimate threat on the suspect testing thread.
Exactly. Normalium Mosa was intended as a lure for Toxapex almost exclusively, whether I find that viable is up in the air... but it's where the inspiration for that set came into play.

Like I said, it's one suggestion. It's not a 'must pick' or 'lol r u trolling?' if people don't, as each set has different values.
The difference between Z-Hyper Beam Pheromosa and Z-Giga Impact Kartana is substantial. I do not see how either of you can get away with using the former as justification for the latter, let alone using anything as justification for the latter.

Z-Hyper Beam Pheromosa was not strictly for Toxapex. It also hits Tapu Fini, Clefable, and various things Ice Beam hits on normal Z-Focus Blast variants, making it lose out on much less than it otherwise would. As stated above, Z-Giga Impact Kartana has virtually no niche at all and comparing them just because they're the same item is pointless as they're too totally different Pokemon used for two totally different purposes.

This point should not be belabored and Z-Giga Impact Kartana should not get brought up in this thread again.

Please move mega zard to A-

It is literally the only mon I use that has an impact every single game... I get the meta has evolved and certainly has not favored it but I have been using a bulky DD set to compensate somewhat and the combination of raw power and typing is so ridiculous. I get whatever the water/fairy bitchass pokemon is is a hard stop but honestly the few things that can push it around are easily covered by 1-2 teammates. Priority IMO isnt an issue because Roost negates that most the time (sucker punch and no other priority does more than like 35%) but when I dont use this thing as a sweeper it's an early game wallbreaker for me... everything in S - A bar Heatran is its bitch and I'm actually very shocked that it is in fucking B+ lmao... I'm sure there are valid counterarguments but if a mon can have a vicious effect in every single game and serve as all of a wallbreaker, sweeper, and defensive check, then it should not be in B+

edit: mega zard x btw

It is literally the only mon I use that has an impact every single game... I get the meta has evolved and certainly has not favored it but I have been using a bulky DD set to compensate somewhat and the combination of raw power and typing is so ridiculous. I get whatever the water/fairy bitchass pokemon is is a hard stop but honestly the few things that can push it around are easily covered by 1-2 teammates. Priority IMO isnt an issue because Roost negates that most the time (sucker punch and no other priority does more than like 35%) but when I dont use this thing as a sweeper it's an early game wallbreaker for me... everything in S - A bar Heatran is its bitch and I'm actually very shocked that it is in fucking B+ lmao... I'm sure there are valid counterarguments but if a mon can have a vicious effect in every single game and serve as all of a wallbreaker, sweeper, and defensive check, then it should not be in B+

"Zard X has fallen off quite a bit this gen for many reasons. 101+ Scarfers are way too common and splashable for it to ever reliably sweep, and its early game breaking abilities are hindered heavily by Pokemon such as Rocky Lando-T, Toxapex, and recoil from Blitz. SR are also a lot harder to remove at the moment and it is easily pressured because of this."

It literally just dropped, what meta changes have occurred in 1 week that make it any better? You're using a lot of personal bias instead of objective metagame analysis when giving your argument.

Shell Smash is dumb for omastar without white herb, because it already gets +2 speed from swift swim and +1 on water moves. The boost is nice still but unfortunately if you're not running a white herb (which you aren't) you're now open to being revenge killed by pre transformation water shuriken specs Gren, and if your rain sweeper can't beat specs Gren/A-Gren why even bother.

There was already a very long discussion on Omastar awhile back and it's already ranked (fuck if I know why) higher than you want it so this really isn't something that should happen. Though I'd support a drop to C or wherever you offered to place it.
Yh i am on cellphone.... so did not see, i literaly searched for half an hour to see if i found omastar, then you realise how much you miss ctrl f. But as said, omastar is sooooooo powerfull, it legit pops traditional rain counters laughthing

Ema Skye

Work!
Thoughts on raising Smeargle (B- to B)? Not a formal nomination, but without Pheromosa around, Sticky Web teams are incredibly powerful due to a lack of good hazard removal. It definitely needs support to fight off the few remaining hazard removers (Fini, Lati, Skarm, Drill and Starmie), but teammates like Mimikyu exist that beat most of them.

Also, thoughts on ranking Shuckle somewhere also for Webs? It's (somehow) more passive than Smeargle, but it's basically guaranteed to get up one of the two hazards (Webs or Rocks) due to Mental Herb unless you're fighting Sableye. Maybe put it in C?

I agree with you that zard is a great wallbreaker. The thing is while it's a wall breaker that's all it can really do in this meta. It's dd set and bulky wisp sets are just mediocre. Gyrados (and Lando to an extent) sets up easier with dd and marowak/hetran are great bulky fire types with offensive presence. Yes zard has roost, but it also come in at half before mega evolving if rocks are up. Not to mention it's still an offensive mon and is taking a chunk from every mon in
S-A bar scizor, skarm, growth, and some sable and bulu. Even then I can get damage on mons but then kills itself or fails to sweep because it's revenge killed. As a wallbreaker megas like medicham and mawile are much more consistent at breaking.

Imo zard x fits well into b+. Gyrados, lati, terak, niheligo are all great staple mons that can but I'm work in the meta. They all need more support then mons ranked higher but are still super solid.

For zard low base speed and common defensive mons like tran, lando, tox, and fini keep it from excelling but it's still able to put in work. Keep b+

"Zard X has fallen off quite a bit this gen for many reasons. 101+ Scarfers are way too common and splashable for it to ever reliably sweep, and its early game breaking abilities are hindered heavily by Pokemon such as Rocky Lando-T, Toxapex, and recoil from Blitz. SR are also a lot harder to remove at the moment and it is easily pressured because of this."

It literally just dropped, what meta changes have occurred in 1 week that make it any better? You're using a lot of personal bias instead of objective metagame analysis when giving your argument.
You can sit here with your thumb in your mouth and try to tell me that Zard X is just worse on paper but the fact of the matter is that you can't just load up a bunch of facts and immediately act like they're insurmountable because in a game it's incredibly easy to play around the things you mentioned. If you can hit me with a 101 scarfer (just at a quick glance chompy is the only one in the A ranks...), rocky helmet lando-t, toxapex, and a team where i'm just unable to remove stealth rock because it revolves around keeping hazards (bisharp + a ghost), then yes I VERY much get why I would struggle to have Zard X be effective in a game (which basically means you would need a team of Scarf Garchomp, Lando-T, Toxapex, Bisharp, Ghost-type, + filler to poop on Zard X in every single way possible)

The truth is that most of Zard X's checks are kind of handled easy. I usually use the GOAT Zapdos with Defog to remove hazards, which it does incredibly effectively because of typing and gets ample opportunities in a game to do so, while Lando-T and Toxapex are easily handled by a teammate like Greninja or Dugtrio. I'm not saying just put it on a team and watch the magic unfold, but you're acting like so many things stop Zard X when in a game realistically anyone can play around its checks...

But you right there are explaining how you need specific teammates to compensate for Zard X's deficiencies and that is exactly the reason why it is a B+ mon and definitely shouldn't rise. Plus Chomp is not the only highly ranked scarfer that deals with zard X effectively. In A rank alone you have Chomp, Keldeo, and Duggy not to mention other common scarfers slightly lower in the rankings like Nihilego and Terrak. Any well built team will have a fast scarfer to deal with Zard leaving it to be an okay Wallbreaker that uses up you mega slot.

Also, this thing was just moved down within the past week so discussion on this I think should be held off until something in the meta changes to actually make it better or worse

B+ ---> A

• Zapdos has been seeing a lot more usage recently for its 3 attacks Roost set, which allows it to still retain its bulky capabilities while being very difficult to manage defensively in general outside of very fat special walls. Elec/Fire/Ice coverage is very useful in the current metagame, and keeps Pokemon such as Zygarde, Lando-T, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Pinsir, Mawile, and so many other threats in check.
what is the EV distribution and nature for this set? I can't find it anywhere :/

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what is the EV distribution and nature for this set? I can't find it anywhere :/
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Speed is for Bisharp and Breloom, rest is in physical bulk to better take on stuff like Pinsir, Zygarde, Chomper, Metagross, etc. You can also opt for just max Speed and max SpA on more offensive builds but it's a lot harder to fit onto teams because it can't utilize its defensive typing as efficiently, which is a major reason why this set is so annoying to face.

Thoughts on raising Smeargle (B- to B)? Not a formal nomination, but without Pheromosa around, Sticky Web teams are incredibly powerful due to a lack of good hazard removal. It definitely needs support to fight off the few remaining hazard removers (Fini, Lati, Skarm, Drill and Starmie), but teammates like Mimikyu exist that beat most of them.

Also, thoughts on ranking Shuckle somewhere also for Webs? It's (somehow) more passive than Smeargle, but it's basically guaranteed to get up one of the two hazards (Webs or Rocks) due to Mental Herb unless you're fighting Sableye. Maybe put it in C?

Actually Shuckle can pack Gastro Acid for Sableye, neutralizing magic bounce.

Not that Sticky Teams really need webs to outpace stall, but getting up rocks on Sableye is nice.

But Smeargle is still generally better due to Spore access.

Last edited:
You can sit here with your thumb in your mouth and try to tell me that Zard X is just worse on paper but the fact of the matter is that you can't just load up a bunch of facts and immediately act like they're insurmountable because in a game it's incredibly easy to play around the things you mentioned. If you can hit me with a 101 scarfer (just at a quick glance chompy is the only one in the A ranks...), rocky helmet lando-t, toxapex, and a team where i'm just unable to remove stealth rock because it revolves around keeping hazards (bisharp + a ghost), then yes I VERY much get why I would struggle to have Zard X be effective in a game (which basically means you would need a team of Scarf Garchomp, Lando-T, Toxapex, Bisharp, Ghost-type, + filler to poop on Zard X in every single way possible)

The truth is that most of Zard X's checks are kind of handled easy. I usually use the GOAT Zapdos with Defog to remove hazards, which it does incredibly effectively because of typing and gets ample opportunities in a game to do so, while Lando-T and Toxapex are easily handled by a teammate like Greninja or Dugtrio. I'm not saying just put it on a team and watch the magic unfold, but you're acting like so many things stop Zard X when in a game realistically anyone can play around its checks...
You have completely failed to provide an actual arguemt as to why it should rise a rank when it just dropped a weak before. You using hyperbole and your personal bias doesn't spawn healthy discussion.

It cannot wallbreak reliably because Lando is at near 60% in usage. It is also shut down by Toxapex which has become one the best defensive pokemon in the tier. It cannot reliably sweep, because after 1 dragon dance it is still outsped by every relevant scarfer. Since you're using a 50% rock weak mon you need choose between very sub optimal hazard remove options. Using the argument "I can play around it" doesn't work in a competitive setting, because both players are able adjust accordingly to what's presented. While in reality you're at a disadvantage when making sure that Lando is very weak, the scarfed pokemon are dead, and hazards are off the field just so Zard has an opportunity to do something is far too much. When nearly every team has these components (every team has scarfer and rocks) it ends up being more of a burden than a positive addition to the team.

TL;DR Literally nothing has changed in the past week for it to raise.

Last edited:
Sweet mercy I thought this was implied but what I'm getting at is I don't think it should've dropped initially. Gtfo with that argument
Whether it's implied or not those reasons are WHY it dropped just because you don't agree doesn't nullify all arguments about why it's so underwhelming lmaoo

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Whether it's implied or not those reasons are WHY it dropped just because you don't agree doesn't nullify all arguments about why it's so underwhelming lmaoo
I'm pretty sure his argument is that the reasons for it dropping are either untrue or insignificant. You can absolutely argue that a change that was made was ill advised without having to wait a month for the metagame to change.

Can we just blacklist discussion on Charizard X please like we did on Mega Beedrill and Heracross? It's not as good as it use to be now and the arguments for one end is just bias rather than actual evidence on why it's better.

The only thing I will admit is that Volcarona has a similar flaw to Mega Charizard X but Volcarona has more ways of dealing with Lando, Toxapex and Scarfers.

I'm pretty sure his argument is that the reasons for it dropping are either untrue or insignificant. You can absolutely argue that a change that was made was ill advised without having to wait a month for the metagame to change.
The problem is he is using his personal team built around zard X to try and argue its viability instead of looking at it from a more broad view. He needs to provide actual reasoning why it is as good as other A- mons outside of "I use x, y, and z mon to support the stuff zard X struggles with". Provide tourney replays or high ladder games where this thing actually does something other than do 50% with flare blitz a lando and die from EQ. The meta is not kind to it right now and there was some good discussion about it before it dropped, not just a name picked out of a hat.

The problem is he is using his personal team built around zard X to try and argue its viability instead of looking at it from a more broad view. He needs to provide actual reasoning why it is as good as other A- mons outside of "I use x, y, and z mon to support the stuff zard X struggles with". Provide tourney replays or high ladder games where this thing actually does something other than do 50% with flare blitz a lando and die from EQ. The meta is not kind to it right now and there was some good discussion about it before it dropped, not just a name picked out of a hat.
I'm sorry but that's just false buddy. I never mentioned my personal team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)