Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

It's physically possible, but is it (presumably Hydro Vortex Manaphy) viable?
Yes, waterium-z manaphy is viable. the one-time nuke is great for muscling through the one mon on their team that could otherwise wall manaphy, or z-rain dance for +1 speed and status-immunity to try a sweep.

What he's actually asking is non-Waterium Z Rain Dance Manaphy is viable.

Thing is, it's almost impossible not to run both things together. You want Hydro Vortex to wallbreak, but you'll also need Rain Dance to stallbreak. So good luck not running both the Waterium Z and Rain Dance.

Hey, when can we start the OU theorymon project again? That was buckets of fun last generation, and we've got so many new abilities and pokemon to play with.
Don't worry, we're planning to re-open it in a couple of weeks (hopefully)! We've been working on it since the games' release date, but even though we already a list of potential theorymons, it's been kinda tough to think of other good theorymons that benefit (from) the metagame with powerhouses like MegaGross, both grens, M-Maw, M-Medi and all the Tapus running rampant. We won't take nominations yet, that is, not until the thread has opened again. I'm glad you liked and I do hope it'll be just as fun or even better than last gen! Ü

What he's actually asking is non-Waterium Z Rain Dance Manaphy is viable.

Thing is, it's almost impossible not to run both things together. You want Hydro Vortex to wallbreak, but you'll also need Rain Dance to stallbreak. So good luck not running both the Waterium Z and Rain Dance.
Hm it reads to me like the opposite, i.e. he's asking if non-rain dance waterium z manaphy is viable (Hydro Vortex Manaphy).

is it (presumably Hydro Vortex Manaphy) viable?

This is my interpretation: "Is the following set viable?"

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Tail Glow
-Surf
-Energy Ball/Ice Beam/HP Fire/Psychic
-Energy Ball/Ice Beam/HP Fire/Psychic

It's better than the ORAS version, which had lefties over the z move, since this lets it break Chansey at +6 and also nukes bulky resists like Toxapex.

On one hand, this offers good coverage and a crapload of firepower; on the other hand, Z rain dance gives Surf a boost while enabling Manaphy to take advantage of rain with Hydration, and most importantly providing +1 speed to help it shut down offense. The latter option comes at the cost of giving up a coverage move, which is huge since it means one of Ferro/AV Tang/Pex/etc will always wall you.

There's also TG 3 attacts with Sitrus if you want mana but the z slot is occupied.

My concern with Z TG 3 attacks is that it still gets plowed by offense and Duggy can trap it. As for Z TG/RD 2 attacks, it has to click Z rain dance and then tail glow in order to beat offense, since a +1 speed Manaphy can't get KOs unless it TGs too; +0 rain-boosted Surf doesn't cut it.

Also never run Z rain dance 3 attacks for the reason of the previous sentence's content.

Basically, yeah, I think it's viable, but any option must choose between good coverage (TG 3 attacks) or speed (RD TG), which is what continues to hurt Manaphy's viability.

How do I become better in OU ?
Is battling the only way to progress or do I need to be talented or what to be good in OU ?
There are smogon tutors on the forums although idk when they will be available, also watching poketubers like pokemaimmd can help a lot, Can showcase the meta more to you. Also you can try taking a sample team and ladder with it, IMO getting experience is the best way of getting better, hope that helps!

What makes competitive battling fun? I can't find the reason why people have so much fun battling.
for me it just feels so good when you predict everything your opponent is doing but its like the worst when you losing and I'm bad at everything else at life so I have to find it fun

Also got a question and didn't want to double post {you`re welcome} but what is the best last move for scarf togekiss ive currently got fire blast air slash and dazzling gleam and wasn't sure what to run for the last move???
Thanks

Last edited:
Also got a question and didn't want to double post {you`re welcome} but what is the best last move for scarf togekiss ive currently got fire blast air slash and dazzling gleam and wasn't sure what to run for the last move???
Thanks
Aura Sphere to hit tran and tar, Trick to cripple rotom-w on the switch, fast suicide Tailwind can pair well with slower nukes like ada mega medi/mawile, and Baton Pass can keep momentum up and get switch initiative. Of the bunch, I personally prefer Trick purely because of the utility it provides in regards to nuisances like clef, rotom, fini and the like, but any one of those could work well. You could also just chuck a random hidden power on there too, like hp ground for magnezone or something, up to you.

W
Aura Sphere to hit tran and tar, Trick to cripple rotom-w on the switch, fast suicide Tailwind can pair well with slower nukes like ada mega medi/mawile, and Baton Pass can keep momentum up and get switch initiative. Of the bunch, I personally prefer Trick purely because of the utility it provides in regards to nuisances like clef, rotom, fini and the like, but any one of those could work well. You could also just chuck a random hidden power on there too, like hp ground for magnezone or something, up to you.
ok thanks I was running trick but I didn't make much use of it and found myself in 1v1s against heatran a lot so I will probably run Aura Sphere but you said hidden power ground for magnezone but I already got fireblast which can kill magnezone

Is Mega Mawile as broken in this gen as it was last gen?
I haven't played in XY, where Mawile was available but i guess it's not really broken, just good. But judging from top player's opinions and viability ranking, it's rather balanced or atleast not broken as it used to be, power creep, z moves and the higher viability of megas like Medicham and Metagross in this gen is a factor since they are usually more threatening megas mainly due to their speed. I also tested Mawile in a few games and had no success with it, got 0-1 kills with it per game and always lost using it but you shouldn't pay attention to this last statement since i'm a god awful player anyway lol.

Is Mega Mawile as broken in this gen as it was last gen?
I haven't played in XY, where Mawile was available but i guess it's not really broken, just good. But judging from top player's opinions and viability ranking, it's rather balanced or atleast not broken as it used to be, power creep, z moves and the higher viability of megas like Medicham and Metagross in this gen is a factor since they are usually more threatening megas mainly due to their speed. I also tested Mawile in a few games and had no success with it, got 0-1 kills with it per game and always lost using it but you shouldn't pay attention to this last statement since i'm a god awful player anyway lol.
MMaw is definitely not as broken as it was in XY, but it's damn close. What (imo) made MMaw such a monster last gen was that if it got an SD up, you either have a non-attacking way to threaten it (wisp/roar) or it sweeps you with sucker. Tapu lele's terrain is common and prevents this. The sucker nerf (80bp -> 70bp) hurts a little bit, too.
But landot is at 50% usage or whatever, every team has to have one, if not two, steels, many of which can check maw, and the meta is quite fast and offensive, which makes maw rely on sucker even more.

That said, it's absolutely an A+ mon with no real switchins (i guess physdef lando switches in once) and 9/10 games it'll put in serious work.

Edit: power creep has also hurt it's once-solid bulk.

Orda-Y and I are working on it atm. Should be out soon.
Thank goodness. I have troubles figuring out the threats to my teams due to the amount of damage calculating it takes and the amount of Pokemon to try and prepare for. Could you maybe give me the link on my forum profile when it's completed?

Last edited:
Orda-Y and I are working on it atm. Should be out soon.
Ubers' forum has a list somewhat like this in their role compendium; there's a section such as "Mega Gengar checks" or "Primal Kyogre checks" to list the specific mons that can alleviate teams' weaknesses.

Obviously the Break My Team site can show specific type weaknesses, but mentioning precise threats somewhere is very helpful. Someone might check their team and observe that they have no way of checking (specific threat) Mega Mawile, and then decide to add Ferro or Sciz to the team since they resist its STABs and BMT's data recommends this; then they realize Mawile packs Fire Fang and it's back to the drawing board.

This could be added to the existing role compendium, but it may be possible to have Break My Team evaluate weaknesses to specific mons and their coverage based on the sets listed in the strategy dex. For example, it may show that the team is weak to the standard Spikes Greninja set, or that the team struggles to break Toxapex.

mostly food for thought but it would make teambuilding a lot easier.

Ubers' forum has a list somewhat like this in their role compendium; there's a section such as "Mega Gengar checks" or "Primal Kyogre checks" to list the specific mons that can alleviate teams' weaknesses.

Obviously the Break My Team site can show specific type weaknesses, but mentioning precise threats somewhere is very helpful. Someone might check their team and observe that they have no way of checking (specific threat) Mega Mawile, and then decide to add Ferro or Sciz to the team since they resist its STABs and BMT's data recommends this; then they realize Mawile packs Fire Fang and it's back to the drawing board.

This could be added to the existing role compendium, but it may be possible to have Break My Team evaluate weaknesses to specific mons and their coverage based on the sets listed in the strategy dex. For example, it may show that the team is weak to the standard Spikes Greninja set, or that the team struggles to break Toxapex.

mostly food for thought but it would make teambuilding a lot easier.
The new Checks Compendium resource will account for different sets; i.e. you can specify that the team you're using has a Scarf Garchomp and the weakness diagnostic will specify what variants you're weak to

So, I'm notrying 100% sure this classifies as a "simple question" but I've wanted It answered for a while. Now, the types of teams I'm aware of are Offense, Hyper Offense, Bulky Offense, Balance, Semi-Stall, and Stall. If I missed any, let me know. I know obvious things, like how to tell offense from stall, but I dont really understand what makes each of these archetypes uniquie. For example, I can't tell an offense team from a hyper offense team, a bulky offense team from a balance team, a semi stall team from a stall team.

I could just really use specific definitions for each archetype, and how to tell them apart. At the VERY LEAST, could someone tell me the difference between Bulky Offense and balance, since I use them the most. Thanks in advance

So, I'm notrying 100% sure this classifies as a "simple question" but I've wanted It answered for a while. Now, the types of teams I'm aware of are Offense, Hyper Offense, Bulky Offense, Balance, Semi-Stall, and Stall. If I missed any, let me know. I know obvious things, like how to tell offense from stall, but I dont really understand what makes each of these archetypes uniquie. For example, I can't tell an offense team from a hyper offense team, a bulky offense team from a balance team, a semi stall team from a stall team.

I could just really use specific definitions for each archetype, and how to tell them apart. At the VERY LEAST, could someone tell me the difference between Bulky Offense and balance, since I use them the most. Thanks in advance
Hyper Offense: Straight-up six offensive 'mons thrown together to quickly overwhelm the opposition with offensive redundancy or something like Webs + wallbreakers. Often ignores defensive synergy in favor of offensive synergy and involves systematic sacking to preserve momentum. Include lots of setup 'mons to generate pressure.

Bulky Offense: A mostly offensive team with 1-3 pivots or more defensively inclined 'mons to help deal with threats straight offense otherwise struggles with. A greater focus is placed on defensive synergy but offensive synergy is still a focal point. Typically follows an archetype of Pivot A | Pivot B | Scarfer | Wallbreaker | Wincon | Fast Thing or slight variations thereof.

Balance: As the name suggests, it's a middleground between an offensive team and a defensive one. 3-4 Defensive 'mons + 2-3 Offensive ones—Balance is heavily reliant on type synergy in its defensive core to wear down the opposition through passive damage, while still possessing a means of offensive speed control and a wallbreaker of some kind. The common balance archetype is just Fat Thing A | Fat Thing B | Fat Thing C | Fat Thing D | Scarfer/Offensive Speed Control | Wallbreaker. The line between Bulky Offense and Balance can get pretty blurry at times, but in my mind, Bulky Offense places an emphasis on simply blanket checking with its pivots while also preserving momentum via VoltTurn, whereas Balance is moreso about having specific type-synergy-based cores that don't necessarily have to preserve momentum.

Semi-Stall: Stall with obvious offensive presence of some sort. This could be a defensive 'mon that also serves as a potent sweeper (something like physically defensive Quiver Dance Volcarona) or some obviously offensive threat like Pheromosa.

Stall: 5 fat things + a trapper or the significantly rarer full stall, which is just 6 walls.

These are not definitive in any way but I'm pretty sure they're fairly accurate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)