Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Battle Mechanics Research (Read Post #2)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Groudon and Kyogre don’t transform with a button and aren’t limited to one use of the mechanic per battle. This is much more similar, so it’s a fair question even if the answer is probably no.
It was pretty obvious, but no, Ultra Burst does not count as a Mega Evolution.

Hey, can Neuroforce be replaced or switched to an ally through moves and abilities such as Simple, Ability Swap, etc?
Yes

They keep Necrozma's level-up and tutor moves (which you can find in one of the pastebins) only thing they get are the special moves (Moongeist Beam/Sunsteel Strike) which replace the last move in Necrozma's move set when it fuses (assuming that last move isn't a Necrozma unique move like photon geyser, otherwise it'll replace the next move up). They're like Kyurem B/W in this regard where Solgaleo/Lunala are just fodder.
I've heard this a few times and I have no idea where it came from because you just normally learn Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam upon using the fusion key item. It gives you the normal prompt and everything and you choose which move to replace upon fusion. It doesn't matter at all but it's kinda silly seeing this over and over lol.

Is Mind Blown's "recoil" damage canceled by Rock Head ? I assume that it is canceled by Magic Guard, but could someone confirm ? Is it boosted by Reckless ?
Mind Blown doesn't interact with Reckless or Rock Head, but the damage is prevented by Magic Guard.
Also: It's not counted as a secondary effect by Sheer Force. You only lose half your HP once for Parental Bond, between the hits, so you can faint before the 2nd hit of damage is dealt. Shedinja predictably and gracefully kills itself in a single Mind Blown.

I've heard this a few times and I have no idea where it came from because you just normally learn Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam upon using the fusion key item. It gives you the normal prompt and everything and you choose which move to replace upon fusion. It doesn't matter at all but it's kinda silly seeing this over and over lol.
Do you have the option to not learn the moves? And if you replace a move with SS/MB, does it keep the PP Up status of the move being replaced?

Edit: And possibly a dumb question, but does it forget the move upon de-fusing, and if so, does the previous moveslot return or is the move left blank?

So considering the animation, I doubt it does. But does Splintering Stormshards make contact? A few other Z-moves do, and this would be incredible for Lycanroc-Midday.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Do you have the option to not learn the moves? And if you replace a move with SS/MB, does it keep the PP Up status of the move being replaced?

Edit: And possibly a dumb question, but does it forget the move upon de-fusing, and if so, does the previous moveslot return or is the move left blank?
It's just a normal move learn. You don't have to learn the move. Nothing like PP Ups are transferred into that slot. Upon separation, Necrozma forgets Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Mind Blown CAN be used if your health is below 50% and it is subtracted before you deal the damage. You actually even faint before the damage is dealt.
The 50% is subtracted after dealing the damage, but you still faint first if both health bars are reduced to 0 for some reason (Thanks Gamefreak).
Sounds like Mind Blown behaves exactly like Self-Destruct and Explosion then. Since Gen 6, with animations on, they deal damage first, then the user loses all its HP and faints, but with animations off, the user loses all its HP first, faints, then damage is dealt. I assume UltiMario had animations on and Kalalokki had them off for their respective tests, which would explain the seemingly opposite results.

Sounds like Mind Blown behaves exactly like Self-Destruct and Explosion then. Since Gen 6, with animations on, they deal damage first, then the user loses all its HP and faints, but with animations off, the user loses all its HP first, faints, then damage is dealt. I assume UltiMario had animations on and Kalalokki had them off for their respective tests, which would explain the seemingly opposite results.
Given that Damp also prevents Mind Blown from working, I would say this is very likely.
In the list of Z-Move data, Splintering Stormshards has Effect 415 and Light That Burns The Sky has effect 417. Let's Snuggle Forever has effect 416, which is unlisted on what it does like the other 2. What is this effect?
Still wondering this myself.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Does Photon Geyser take stat boosts/drops into account when deciding its catagory? Like, if you burn a Dusk Mane Necrozma that's used Calm Mind a few times, will Photon Geyser still be Physical or will it switch to Special?
Uses highest actual instead of highest base. Ex a SpA stat at 200 at +2 (400) would get used over an Atk stat stat of 300.
Since it cape up in discord: Burn doesn't actually drop your raw stat, which means that in this same case, the burned 300 Atk Necrozma still uses its attack stat for Photon Geyser over the 200 SpA, and as such deals damage coming from the Atk stat, which is then halved by the burn.

Edit:
Someone claimed ghost is now super effective versus fairy. Could someone quickly debunk this myth?
Still Neutral. Type chart changes would've been found by now through datamining.

Last edited:
Since it cape up in discord: Burn doesn't actually drop your raw stat, which means that in this same case, the burned 300 Atk Necrozma still uses its attack stat for Photon Geyser over the 200 SpA, and as such deals damage coming from the Atk stat, which is then halved by the burn.
I have a follow-up question now that we know it uses the raw stat: If Necrozma's raw Attack and Special Attack are equal, which stat does Photon Geyser go off of?

I have a follow-up question now that we know it uses the raw stat: If Necrozma's raw Attack and Special Attack are equal, which stat does Photon Geyser go off of?
Photon Geyser always hits on the opponent's special defence, so it doesn't matter. From what I'm understanding it's a regular special move that temporarily substitutes your special attack with your attack when the latter is higher. Basically a reverse psystrike when used by a physical attack, normal special move when used by a special attacker.

Photon Geyser always hits on the opponent's special defence, so it doesn't matter. From what I'm understanding it's a regular special move that temporarily substitutes your special attack with your attack when the latter is higher. Basically a reverse psystrike when used by a physical attack, normal special move when used by a special attacker.
I know it always uses the target's Special Defense. What I'm asking is that if Necrozma has equal Attack and Special Attack, will Swords Dance boost Photon Geyser's power, or will Calm Mind?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
It does matter in the case of being burned: Your Photon Geyser goes off of SpA in the case of a stat tie.

I know it always uses the target's Special Defense. What I'm asking is that if Necrozma has equal Attack and Special Attack, will Swords Dance boost Photon Geyser's power, or will Calm Mind?
While Burn doesn't make a change to actual stat, stat boosts and drops will. Whatever your highest actual stat is determines what stat Photon Geyser is used from. Both SD and CM would boost your damage from a stat tie, where using SD would make Photon Geyser come off Atk, and CM would keep it SpA.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Is Photon Geyser required alongside Ultranecrozium Z for Necrozma to change forme, or does it allow for another move?

If Necrozma Ultra Bursts but doesn't use its Z-Move, is there still the ability for another teammate to use a Z-Move? Does Ultra Bursting Necrozma count as using a Z-Move even if you don't actually use Light That Burns the Sky?

Is Photon Geyser required alongside Ultranecrozium Z for Necrozma to change forme, or does it allow for another move?

If Necrozma Ultra Bursts but doesn't use its Z-Move, is there still the ability for another teammate to use a Z-Move? Does Ultra Bursting Necrozma count as using a Z-Move even if you don't actually use Light That Burns the Sky?
You can't ultra burst and use the z-move at the same time, it doesn't count.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Last time I use my source <_<;.

So considering the animation, I doubt it does. But does Splintering Stormshards make contact? A few other Z-moves do, and this would be incredible for Lycanroc-Midday.
In the first post there is a pastebin with move flags for usum look at it and it will answer your question. To everyone else please look at the pastebins in the first post before asking questions.

We know that Clangorous Soulblaze will not boost stats if blocked by a fairy type. Will it not boost stats if it targets a Soundproof pokemon?

ok but did you test it, i know you cant do both at the same time but we dont know if it counts or not regardless of functionality
I thought it was obvious? The transformation is separate from the Z-move and transforming doesn't lock the user from using a specific Z-move.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
s
You don't need to know Photon Geyser to Ultra Burst.

Everything else has already been asked, but to reiterate: Yes, you can use another mon's Z-Move after Ultra Bursting. Only using Light on Necrozma counts as using a Z-Move, Ultra Burst doesn't (you wouldn't be able to use Light if Ultra Burst used up your Z-Move).

Just an simple idea: Could Mimikyu's Z Move simply let repair its costume aka make Disguise active again? As far as I understand it Mimikyu has an effect on it's Z move in the datareport

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
It's strange, but somehow it isn't blocked by rock head and the likes, yet it DOES get blocked by Magic Guard for some reason.
It's not a recoil move, it just self-damages you for 50% of your health. It's more to the likes of Explosion due to it being prevented by Damp as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)