Kiyo
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• When play for MPL I'm GMT - 7
    Kiyo
    Kiyo
    fuck i forgot about this, i'll be online around smogontour today so try to find me on stours/ ps nu room
    yo I built a team with some things you taught me, can you do a test in an hour or two
    Kiyo
    Kiyo
    i leave for work at 3:30 and get home at like 7 if you're around then
    Peli
    Peli
    iight sounds good
    hey dude, gmt -0, when are you free to play this week? preferably weekend for me just because of so much work i've got to do for college / exams and the timezone, it generally makes it easier tbh, lemme know your availability.
    Teddeh
    Teddeh
    I'm at work 4:45 my time on sunday, so it'd honestly be really hard to get back in time for that. It looks like saturday may be a better option. Something like 8pm my time?
    Kiyo
    Kiyo
    Any chance we could do 7pm your time on Saturday? If that doesn't work could we try Friday between 3pm and 6pm your time. I can be flexible and get up earlier tomorrow or Friday, but only if those two times don't work. My work schedule has changed drastically this weekend
    Teddeh
    Teddeh
    7pm saturday works, i have work until 5 so i'm good there. Seeya then
    Hello, we are paired for the round of the tutoring program, we both have the same gmt, -8, just let me know what times work for you. I am fairly busy during the days with school / sports so like 9pm past works for me or from about 4-6pm. I am a lot more free on the weekends, which I can flex me schedule more. With SPL I'm sure you have a lot going on but we can find something
    Kiyo
    Kiyo
    hmmmm okay. unfortunately i work evenings and weekends so that doesnt line up the best, but provided im not dragging ass during the day we should be able to work it out. I get home from work around 7pm most nights and try to head to bed around 10:30 or so. if you want to try and fit sessions in that late thats good by me. otherwise we just need to work around swim meets that i attend on the weekends (unfortunately this weekend is prelims/finals so i'll be gone all day). do you prefer voice chat (skype, discord) or text chat (irc, ps, etc.) to communicate? also how does thursday at 9pm sound for our first meeting? i have no early class on friday so i acn stay up a little later.
    Peli
    Peli
    text chat at that time, sounds good 2 me
    we're paired for pu ssnl, gmt-8 and can play p much any day this week and most of next week
    Lucky star dropped on earth 1 night, and it asked me "wat do u want? million dollars, or true friend?". I take a ture friend
    *Send this to 20 of ur true friends of smogon, if u don't u will have bad luck with friendships for the rest of ur life!!! If u get this back ur a ture friend
    CanadianWifier
    CanadianWifier
    000000000000000 000000000000000
    000000000000000_0000 00000000000
    00000000000000___000 00000000000
    0000000000000_____00 00000000000
    000000000000_______0 00000000000
    00000000000_________ 00000000000
    0___________________ _________00
    000_______*TRUE FRIEND*___ _000
    000000 __________________ 000000
    0000000_____________ ____0000000
    000000_________0____ _____000000
    00000_______0000000_ ______00000
    0000_____00000000000 00_____0000
    000___00000000000000 00000___
    hey i really like the art you did for pu official tours and the prinplup dabbing. do you do channel art of any sort? and if so could you do some for me?
    Dundies
    hey if youve already started dont worry, but do you think you could include cryogonal in there somewhere?
    Kiyo
    Kiyo
    mmk i can do that, been busy the last week but i have some free time tomorrow so i'll try to work on this and keep u updated with sketches and stuff
    Dundies
    ty!
    play for ts open gmt+1 mcan play in weekends
    Kiyo
    Kiyo
    Sunday works for me, I'm gmt-8. I have no class Monday so that's good too
    Akashi
    Akashi
    good times
    Checks & Counters
    ########
    shiloh
    shiloh
    **Flying-types**: Offensive Flying-types such as Scyther, Rotom-S, and Archeops can force Hariyama out with their powerful STAB attacks, with only Archeops taking much damage from any of Hariyama's coverage moves. Defensive Flying-types such as Pelipper and Mantine can shrug off any of Hariyama's attacks and support their team with Defog or choose to weaken Hariyama with their super effective STAB moves.
    shiloh
    shiloh
    **Physical Attackers**: Strong physical attackers such as Kangaskhan, Feraligatr, and Sawk can overwhelm Hariyama fairly easily throughout the course of the match, forcing it to take entry hazard damage every time it has to switch out and come back in. While variants of Hariyama with 128 Defense EVs can take some physical attacks better, it's not recommended that it stay in to take these hits unless absolutely necessary.
    shiloh
    shiloh
    **Psyshock Users**: Special attackers with access to Psyshock, such as Ninetales, Xatu, and Mesprit, can be troublesome for Hariyama, considering its Defense stat is typically weaker than its Special Defense stat. It should be noted that most common Psyshock users don't appreciate a Knock Off.
    Other Options
    ########
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Hariyama can opt to run a defensive RestTalk set to favor longevity over initial bulk, but it is significantly weaker than Assault Vest variants and foes can take advantage of turns during which Hariyama is forced to sleep. Hariyama can directly take advantage of Guts by activating it with either Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, though it's very likely that Hariyama will come across status in a match, and the extra residual damage can rack up quickly. Hariyama can use its other ability, Sheer Force, to boost the power of several of its moves, but this is typically inferior to a Choice Band set. Sets choosing to forgo Assault Vest in favor of Leftovers can utilize Toxic or Bulk Up instead of a coverage or priority move. Stone Edge can be used to hit Flying-types, such as Scyther, Mantine, Pelipper and Swanna, which would otherwise take negligible damage from Hariyama's other coverage options.
    Choice Band
    ########
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Set Details
    ========

This set faces heavy competition from the likes of Sawk and Primeape, which are naturally faster, and in the case of Sawk, hit harder with similar coverage options. The main niche Hariyama has over other Choice Band Fighting-types is that it does not have to worry about status ailments, specifically burn, thanks to Guts. Choice Band is a solid option for teams that prefer to hit hard right away and value Hariyama's natural bulk a little more than Primeape or Sawk's. Guts is useful in these situations to avoid being crippled by Will-O-Wisp and Scald burns. The given EV spread allows Hariyama to outpace everything up to uninvested Lanturn, which Hariyama can hit before it Volt Switches out. Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature allow Hariyama to take full advantage of the Guts boost and hit foes hard. The remaining 116 EVs are thrown into Defense to allow Hariyama to pivot into physical attackers with greater ease.
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Usage Tips
    ========

Hariyama should be used as a wallbreaker, aim to come in on bulkier Pokemon, and fire off powerful Choice Band-boosted attacks so that a teammate can sweep late-game. Thanks to Guts, Hariyama can switch in without much worry on bulky Water-types looking to score burns with Scald, such as Seismitoad and Lanturn. Hariyama can look to switch in on Pokemon that rely on status moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp to deal the majority of their damage, such as Audino and Gourgeist-XL. Make sure to watch out for Knock Off, as losing Hariyama's Choice Band can be devastating. Hariyama can come in on many of the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon in the tier and threaten them out with a STAB Close Combat.
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Team Options
    ========

Sticky Web setters such as Leavanny and Kricketune can ease Hariyama's troubles with faster Pokemon and give it more opportunities to fire off boosted attacks. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Crustle and Qwilfish can give Hariyama an even easier time breaking down the opposition. Other physical attackers appreciate having Pokemon such as Weezing and Granbull worn down. Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Klinklang all appreciate these Pokemon weakened in their attempts to sweep late-game. If you want to go another route, Trick Room support can be a useful form of speed control that takes advantage of Hariyama's subpar Speed. Notable setters are Carbink and Uxie, both of which have the ability to set up Stealth Rock and dual screens. If you choose to run Trick Room support an alternative EV spread of 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD will benefit you more than a spread with Speed investment.
    Assault Vest
    ########
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Set Details
    ========

Maximum Attack investment allows Hariyama to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Special Defense investment adds more overall bulk on the special side than maximum HP investment would. Thick Fat allows Hariyama to switch into most Fire- and Ice-type attacks easily. Guts is another option that allows Hariyama to take on Will-O-Wisp users such as Pyroar, Mismagius, and Rotom without the fear of getting burned. It should also be noted that an alternative EV spread of 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD can be used to avoid the OHKO from Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat 100% of the time, as well as take a plethora of physical attacks better.
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Usage Tips
    ========

Thanks to Thick Fat, Hariyama acts as a solid switch-in to special attacking Fire- and Ice-types such as Cryogonal, Typhlosion, and Pyroar. Hariyama can use Fake Out to stall turns of Trick Room and weather while also scoring crucial chip damage on faster offensive Pokemon. It should be noted that while Close Combat is extremely powerful, the defense drops can be troublesome for Hariyama due to its naturally low Speed stat. For example, faster Substitute users such as Klinklang can attempt to score KOs that they normally couldn't on Hariyama by forcing it to lower its defenses with Close Combat to break their Substitute.
    shiloh
    shiloh
    Team Options
    ========

Hariyama pairs well with Pokemon weak to Fire and Ice, as they appreciate Hariyama's ability to switch in on Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Typhlosion. Physically defensive Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Vileplume, and Rhydon, which can handle strong physical attackers such as Feraligatr and Kangaskhan, pair well with Hariyama. Other good defensive teammates include Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon such as Steelix, Probopass, and Rhydon, which can take powerful Flying-type attacks aimed at Hariyama and set up Stealth Rock. Bulkier Psychic-type Pokemon such as Uxie and Xatu can take pretty much every Fairy- and Psychic-type attack aimed at Hariyama. Rapid Spinners and Defoggers such as Cryogonal, Togetic, and Prinplup allow Hariyama to switch into strong attacks more easily by clearing the field of entry hazards. Wish and Healing Wish users such as Audino, Mesprit, and Lilligant can allow Hariyama to continuously take hits in the late-game; this is extremely helpful, as Hariyama has no other way of recovering HP. If you find that you need Hariyama to fulfill a more offensive role on your team, Spikes or Toxic Spikes setters such as Garbodor and Qwilfish allow Hariyama to rack up damage quickly with Fake Out.
    Overview
    ########
    shiloh
    shiloh
    With a low base Speed, an intense case of four-moveslot syndrome, and weaknesses to common attacking types, it may come as a surprise to some that Hariyama acts as one of the best special tanks in the tier. But thanks to a monstrous base HP stat and two amazing abilities in Thick Fat and Guts, Hariyama finds a niche as a solid switch-in to many Fire and Ice-type attacks and status inducing moves alike. A huge Attack stat, access to Close Combat, incredible coverage options, and even priority such as Fake Out and Bullet Punch mean Hariyama can also pose a threat as an attacker.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…