CAP 4 CAP 4 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Same concepts apply to Garchomp. It says "I don't like to deal with Garchomp, so now I don't have to"
Just wanted to say that Heracross usage is still quite high even though Gliscor is a true Heracross counter. Just because you build a counter to a Pokemon doesn't mean that Pokemon you're countering would be rendered useless. I have a good idea as to how to make a Garchomp counter that's not difficult to dispose of even by Garchomp itself (if it changes its moveset... but then other Pokemon would be able to counter the Garchomp with its changed moveset... :D).

Needless to say, a Gravity-inducing Pokemon would make Garchomp itself even more powerful (and would render a hypothetical counter useless).

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry about that, Doug... Here's a reasonable concept, I hope.

Concept: Right Back at Ya!
Description: A somewhat bulky pokemon that can use an opponent's moves against them, like sending an attack back at an opponent or exploiting the attack for your benefit.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Concept: It's a Trap!

A fairly bulky Pokemon that is meant to utilize the underused trapping moves available to us. After it has trapped its prey, it begins to kill by indirect means, hopefully Perish Song.

Concept: Missey

I read a post once that described what I believe to be the accurate reason that Blissey is not an overcentralizing force. You can use a combination of Zapdos/Heatran/Celebi to cover most every Special threat in the current metagame... and it will be a fairly THREATENING combination of Pokemon. Or you can use Blissey to sponge up attacks, but generally do nothing BUT sponge, as it is just plain not a real THREAT beyond status inducing. I think a physicaly defensive counterpart to Blissey would be a good goal, as you could use a combination of Gliscor/Hippowdon/Skarmory and cover most all physical threats, and be a fairly threatening combo yourself, or you could use the non-threatening sponge that would be "Missey" (Tentative name obviously)

Concept: Me First

I have always loved the idea of using Me First, but it's not on any pokemon nearly fast enough to take advantage of it. This pokemon should be defensively frail, but have adacquate attacking stats in order to take advantage of moves on both sides of the spectrum... The main focus should be on speed, though. It should be able to outspeed most, if not all of the metagame in order to use the move Me First viably. It should be noted that its movepool should be fairly limited, as the primary use of the stats should be abusing its opponents moves, not its own.

Concept: Wait, where's my wallet?

A pokemon meant to "steal" the opponent's strategies... Should be able to utilize the moves Thief, Snatch, Mimic, and with ease. It should have access to most of the Stat Up moves, but have fairly mediocre stats as bases for boosting. I know this isn't the most in depth analysis of the concept, but I'm open to suggestions on how this is supposed to function/work. I just really like the idea of a pokemon who steals.

Concept: New Weather Effect

This particular pokemon would be made with the idea that it would benefit from a newly made Poison type weather move... Something along the lines of hurting pokemon for a certain amount of damage each turn, while healing Poison types for a certain amount each turn. Obviously the community would have to come up with something not broken together.

Concept: I know what you're doing, and I'm not going to allow it!

A pokemon specifically designed to figure out the opponent's moveset... With all of the problems arising from multiple movesets that certain pokemon can use that counter its own counters, this pokemon should be able learn its opponents moveset quickly and efficiently.... and hopefully, it should be able to do something about dismantling the opponent's moveset in some way.

So there you have some of my ideas for good concepts... hopefully you all like them too!

Concept: Defensive Cleric
Description: A supporter that can heal its allies and withstand many attacks. Something along the lines of Chimecho, but more defensive and possibly absorb status inducers.
Y'know, that sort of inspires me. Of all the Clerics in the game, none of them can really take it to the enemy very well...can they?

I like most of the acceptable suggestions. I think I know where mine went wrong, but it's probably not something that'll be hard to end up filling out anyways, and probably shouldn't be a focusing idea.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Right as you said my Concept does say the general affect of its ability (though the number of turns it would be active could be voted on), and that it would have lowish BSR, so I am revising it.

Concept
: Trick Room/Gravity Supporter
Description: It should be able to set up both Trick Room and Gravity with relative ease, Ether through ability's (possibly one that summons Trick Room and one that summons Gravity, for however many turns is deemed appropriate) or simply due to its combanation of stats and typeing. It will help to make the metagame less centered on speed make less popular "Psudo-Weather teams" more viable.

I don't this this break the "don't specify ability" rule, it is a bit close to Mekkah's first two ideas but mine was first.
would this be allowed DJD?

Also I think that these rules that Deck Knight made should be implemented:

a) Each user may submit only one concept. Think long and hard about your concept before posting it, and make sure it is the one you think the metagame needs most.

b) If you wish to change your submitted concept, please quote the first one, then say you are removing it and putting another in its place. Please keep this to a minimum and provide a solid reason for your decision.

it would slow down the flood of shear rubbish, and maybe stop people from simply using other peoples ideas with a word or two changed.

Hmph fine. Here's another with no rulebreaking (at least that I see >_>) whatsoever.

Concept: "Glass Cannon"
Description: A Pokémon with high offensive stats and outrageous speed, much like Deoxys-A, but without ExtremeSpeed. But, de to this, its defenses should be very low, making it weak to priority moves. It's ability should be somewhat gimmicky.

I wanted to say that I am strongly against the ideas of anti Stealth Rock, anti Garchomp, or basically any pokemon designed to counter another strategy. I understand that removing stealth rock adds some new pokemon into the metagame that used to be near impossible to use, but a stealth rock removing pokemon would be
1: Redundant with rapid spinners already in existancce
2: Be a shut down to a specific strategy rather than a strategy of itself
3: It removes a strategy from being reliable in play, and I am more worried about number of strategies that can be used in play than number of pokemon.\
1. Well, first of all, there are very few viable rapid spinners, all of whom have big flaws. The ONLY rapid spinner that even has a chance of scaring off Revenankh is Psychic Starmie and so virtually all rapid spinners are redundant anyway.

What strategy does Stealth Rock promote? It's not holding the metagame together is it.

Concept: Ultimate Baton Passer
Description: A Pokémon that learns Baton Pass and a large variety of stat-boosting moves (more of a variety than the current BPers; specifically which moves to use will be voted on), who is excellent at a Baton Passer but can't do anything else even halfway decently.

Concept: Ultimate Baton Passer
Description: A Pokémon that learns Baton Pass and a large variety of stat-boosting moves (more of a variety than the current BPers; specifically which moves to use will be voted on), who is excellent at a Baton Passer but can't do anything else even halfway decently.
That kinda sums up Smeargel IMO.

After reading Doug's post about which idea look acceptable I decided to revise my idea's once more. I would like some more feedback from folks about these two and BTW, idea #2 is my personally favorite.

G_T's Original Wording said:
Concept: Armor Break
Description: A Pokemon designed to cut through opposing Pokemon's defensive stats
. It can be either through abusing certain types of moves or an ability.
Concept: Armor Break / Pierce
Description: A Pokemon designed to break through opposing Pokemon's defensive stats or walls.

G_T's Original Wording said:
Concept: Reversal of Worlds / Ribbon
Description: A Pokemon whose abilities and/or typing negates the effect of most Status affection or benefit from them.
Concept: Status Counter
Description: A Pokemon designed to be a decent status absorber/blocker all while not being a huge burden towards the team.

Um... The first one reminds me of Tickle Wobbuffet. What can be done is giving it Arena Trap and some attacks that lower the opponent's defenses (Tickle and Metal Sound anyone?). Yeah, I know this is a huge step forward, but it's just a random thought.

The Reversal of Worlds makes me think of Milotic. But it'd be interesting and somewhat gimmicky, as long as status effects don't actually heal it (imagine it with a Toxic Orb and an ability that inverts the damage, instead of taking 12% damage, that percentage is healed. Yeah, right...).

The only way I can think of the status thing blocking most status
effects would be if it was a fire/elec with Insomniac/Poison Heal, but
I like the idea overall =/

But fire/elec is pretty bad typing as far as being able to take hits goes >>

Um... The first one reminds me of Tickle Wobbuffet. What can be done is giving it Arena Trap and some attacks that lower the opponent's defenses (Tickle and Metal Sound anyone?). Yeah, I know this is a huge step forward, but it's just a randow thought.
First one does have that Tickle-ffet feel to it. In my mind, Armor Break had an entire different meaning.

The Reversal of Worlds makes me think of Milotic. But it'd be interesting and somewhat gimmicky, as long as status effects don't actually heal it (imagine it with a Toxic Orb and an ability that inverts the damage, instead of taking 12% damage, that percentage is healed. Yeah, right...).
Originally the idea behind "Reversal of Worlds" was to reverse the effects of status, but as for now it's just a fancy title for a status absorber.

Concept #3: Inverse Rhyperior

Why is it so hard to create a pokemon that is really high on the special attack scale? I mean all the OU/BL guys are stuck at 130/135. Why not have an inverse Rhyperior with awesome stats and a slightly crippling weakness to balance it out.

Concept: Stat Smasher
Description: A fairly neutral pokemon that has an ability that nukes up it's stats if against an enemy that uses stat boosting moves, like Gyarados and Garchomp, and can use the temporary boosts to either force a switch or counter with a variety of moves.

Concept: " O.O"
Description: This Pkm is a very decent Pokemon with no real lack. But its too decent, so it depends on the weather, meaning he gets a boost to his stats depending on the weather.

Concenpt: " You damn starters "
Decription: A fast Pokemon with reliable Attack and Spezial Attack ( though Att > SpA ). It counters very common starters like Bronzong and (still) Gengar.

Concept:
-Special Gyarados: perhaps an alternate evo to magikarp or something like Scizor?
-takes advantage of great special movepool.
-Maybe even a special dragon dance?
-I think that it should change type, but get a new double weakness, to avoid imbalance. Maybe Dark/Psychic (bug), Fire/Flying (rock-stealth rock may be a problem). Any other suggestions?
-maybe do a Scizor and keep stat total but rearange actual distribution

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Concept:
-Special Gyarados: perhaps an alternate evo to magikarp or something like Scizor?
-takes advantage of great special movepool.
-Maybe even a special dragon dance?
-I think that it should change type, but get a new double weakness, to avoid imbalance. Maybe Dark/Psychic (bug), Fire/Flying (rock-stealth rock may be a problem). Any other suggestions?
-maybe do a Scizor and keep stat total but rearange actual distribution
You completely missed the point. The point was NOT to make anything specific like this, whereas you just made the whole pokemon, stats, movepool, and everything.

After reading DJD's list of acceptable/not acceptable concepts, I noticed a lack of acceptable weather concepts. So I'll give it a shot:

Meteorology:
A Pokemon that can easily summon weather, any weather, all weather (not at once, for obvious reasons), but can't really do much else until a weather effect is in play.

me earlier said:
Concept: FEAR
Description: A Pokemon that can sweep very effectively at 1HP and has the ability and moveset to facilitate this. Is consequently very afraid of status afflictions but maybe not of some weather conditions.

Concept:

A pokemon that's role changes dependant on the weather in play eg:

Sandstorm: Special Wall
Hail:Special Sweeper
Sun:Physical Sweeper
Rain: Physical Wall

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
All my posts in this thread have been made in my role as the project moderator. This post is just my opinions as a member of the CAP community.

I like the following concepts because I think they would add the most value to the current metagame. These are concepts that I think are "needed" in the game:

Deck Knight's "Rapid Spinner" & Jagged Angel's "Entry Hazards"
There is a bit of overlap between these two concepts, so I've lumped them together. It's undeniable that entry hazards are a dominant force in the metagame. I think TOO dominant. It would add a lot to the metagame if we made a pokemon that could handle entry hazards well.

X-Act's "Garchomp Counter"
If we could do it, it would be great. I truly despise the centralizing influence Garchomp has on team-building and battle strategy. If we could make a near-perfect counter, it would be fantastic. Anyone that was around during the Syclant project knows that I argued vociferously for Syclant to be a Garchomp counter. Alas, it didn't happen. At best, Syclant is only a solid Garchomp revenge-killer.

Dane's "Haze-Ablaze"
With all the setup threats in the current metagame, there are very few good phazers and even fewer (none, really) usable hazers.

Gothic Togekiss' "Reversal of Worlds"
The concept name isn't a good indicator of the role. But, anything that can be a great status counter gets a "thumbs up" from me. I'm sick of slapping RestTalk on various pokemon on my team, just so I can handle status. Natural Cure is OK, but not great. Clefable is OK, but not really OU material. It's getting boring. I wish there were more legitimate alternatives for countering status.​

The following concepts are not really "needed" in the current metagame, but they would add something good to the game, and they would be fun to build:

Shiny Noctowl's "Ultimate Baton Passer"
SN has been pissing me off with the flood of shitty concepts -- but this one is a good idea. BP is a cool strategy, but there are too few pokemon that can actually help pull it off. The biggest problem is that most Baton Passer's can't really do anything else. The minute they appear on the battle field, it's obvious what is about to happen, and therefore easy to counter. It would be fun to discuss the various ways to construct a new pokemon to utilize Baton Pass. SN's latest rewording of the description still sucks though. "Ultimate Baton Passer" says it all, really....

Maniacalyrasist's "Toxicroak/Stallrain of Sand"
Sand is already an entrenched part of the metagame. It would be interesting to have a pokemon that can take advantage of sand differently than the existing sand team standards.

Magmortified's "Utility Pokemon"
Building this pokemon could be great fun to discuss. We also could fail miserably, considering the subtleties required to allow this to walk the fine line between useless and overpowered.

Dane's "Great Lead Poke"
I didn't realize it when I typed the phrase in an earlier post, but when Dane latched onto the idea, it really struck me. We talk about good leads all the time. Lead usage is specifically tracked on the Shoddy usage statistics. Everyone has different opinions on what makes a good lead. This concept leaves TONS of room for interpretation, but could be a fantastic focusing influence on the rest of the process.

I do not think most status are a problem, but Sleep probably is.

Concept: Sleep absorber
Description: A Pokemon tailored to absorb Sleep from its most common users (Breloom, Gengar, Bronzong, Roserade, from the top of my head). It would be preferable that not only would it be able to absorb sleep better than your basic Pokemon or even current Sleep absorbers, but actually benefit from it. Even for Guts Hariyama, Machamp and Heracross it is no more than a trade-off: the chance they can attack is now only 66% and you do not get to choose, though when you do fire off it's 50% more powerful. I would say it is preferable that they do not sleep. I would like that to be different for this guy. No penalties for being asleep, but rather, becoming completely better because of it.

There are several ways to get around to this. Nearly all of them require a personal trait, move or item though.

EDIT: To expand upon this, a similar concept for freezes would be nice. Freezes are not enforcable, but it would be nice to have an Ice-resistant Pokemon that could switch in and actually get frozen while not being penalized for it. That way you trigger Freeze Clause on yourself while battling just as effectively, if not moreso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)