• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Choose as many as you believe appropriate

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good
Base Stat Spread: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105 = 555 Speed Last.

Cartoons

Absolution

DougJustDoug

CyzirVisheen's Oil Skater

Cerbi01

Elagune

Zantimonius

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So... How many are we allowed to pick? The boxes indicate the ability to choose more than one.

How many votes do we have?

edit: Didn't see his post when posting, but I guess it emphasizes the point, ha.

Why I love Cartoons!'s design: It's just so original! The hands are perfectly evocative of the utility feel. The only problem is that I really don't feel that he fits the stat spread very well at all.

Why I love Absolution's design: It's also quite awesome. It was the first one I really started rooting for. Its movepool options are excellent, and it fits the stat spread perfectly.

I'd be thrilled if either one of these won. (I also voted for Zantimonius's, because honestly, I just think it's incredibly awesome.)

Cartoons, CV's Oil Skater, and Elagune's.

Any three of them would suffice, though I'm sad Death Worm didn't go through.

I'm going to be very surprised if Cartoon's doesn't end up winning the thing, but I've found Oil Skater and Cerbi's submission to be pretty cool original, so who knows. All of the entries were great. :-)

Voted Absolution and DJD's designs.

If possible, I'd like to see the next poll be between just two Pokemon, giving a nice clean poll. However, I know that may or may not be possible depending on how the numbers end up in this.

PS: I think Cartoons' might be a bitch to sprite, but I'm not a spriter so I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

How can Cartoon's design have Base 90 SpAtk though? I love the design, but that's the only reason I didn't vote for it. =/
I'm probably making up reasons to justify it somehow, but maybe it has to do with the purplish gem thingys in the center of its hands and on its head?
Maybe, sounds kind of silly though.

I'm probably making up reasons to justify it somehow, but maybe it has to do with the purplish gem thingys in the center of its hands and on its head?
Maybe, sounds kind of silly though.
Either that or you literally "shoot" you with his Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Charge Beam/Hyper Beam. Both idea seem sorta far-fetched in my opinion. ParadOxymoron's post (Before he edited it) best explain how I feel about Smog Imp what with it's movepool options and fitting with the BST.

I voted for mine, the Oil Skater, and Cerbi's Koffing/Claydol Wheel.

I would've voted for Cartoon's again, but other people have brought up a good point: it doesn't look like it supports that Special Attack at all. Like, not even remotely.

Doug's feels Poison/Dragon to me, Elagune's looks like it needs way more Attack (those arms!), and Zantimonious, while an awesome design, doesn't fit the spread or Utility purpose for me.

These are some great designs.
I voted for 5 I think, haha.
I'd be happy with half of these, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fantastic artworks all the way around! I'll be happy to see any of these designs implemented in Shoddy. I don't have anything bad to say about any of the art. So, I'll just post gushing praise for all of them:

Zantimonius - The best artwork in the competition. I love badass pokemon, and this is completely cool. The coloring job here is wonderful.

Elagune - Beautifully posed. Looks like a regal pokemon god. This pokemon looks like it can do just about anything. High style points.

Cerbi01 - I can easily imagine this in the real game. Based on an interesting backstory with a twist. Has a great look that fits nicely in between "cute" and "badass".

CyzirVisheen - I'm not normally a fan of cute pokemon, but this one is so wonderfully creative I can't help but love it. It's also a "girl pokemon" (a la Gardevoir, Jinx, etc) and that gets extra bonus points in my book. Fantastic details in the design.

DougJustDoug - I'm openly biased here. But, of all the CAP designs I have made, this was one of the most fun to make. The positive feedback I have received from everyone on the art and backstory has made me feel like a "winner", regardless of the vote. Thank you everyone.

Absolution - You have done a great job of allowing the Smog Imp to be a group project. You took advice and fine-tuned this design until it worked perfectly. Everyone has fallen in love with the little guy. Normally, art is a solo effort. I really enjoyed seeing how everyone came together to push this design forward.

Cartoons - Your design is so original, it makes me jealous. Fantastic visualization of the concept of "utility". From the moment you posted this design, the response has been overwhelming. Great design with all the right parts and flourishes. I think the rest of us are just fighting for second place.

Congratulations to all the artists!

Zantimonius - The best artwork in the competition. I love badass pokemon, and this is completely cool. The coloring job here is wonderful.
My thoughts exactly

I voted for Zantimonius and DJD. Cartoons and Elagunes are all nice pieces but they simply don't comply with the BST in my opnion

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted for Cartoons and Zantimonius. I'm a sucker for propaganda gif animation and i really liked the other one

Zantimonius' picture is bad ass. Those leg things are sweet. It looks like a game designer would like a pokemon to look that way.

Although, cartoons pic looks like a rapping dugtrio, and that makes it sexy.

It was tough but I went with zantimonius.

ParadOxymoron's post (Before he edited it) best explain how I feel about Smog Imp what with it's movepool options and fitting with the BST.
Yeah, I need to stop editing my posts. T_T

Its weird because my brain loves the Smog Imp, but my heart just loves Cartoons!'s design much more. Still, I think that with the stat allocation and the movepool options, the Smog Imp would be much less awkward to actually implement into the game than Cartoons!'s design. It doesn't really surpass Cartoons!'s submission, in my mind, until you really step back and think about how it will work in the actual game. I just think that the Smog Imp would work better than something that really should have had a different stat spread, and can't do much more than Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Encore, Rapid Spin, and the elemental punches, wheras the Smog Imp can do all that and more.

I think I found Daddy Long Legs/Hands long lost cousin.

I swear to God, that thing and Cartoons! creature look like an evolution line.

Code:
[B]ManiaclyRasist[/B]
  Base Stats: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105

TIMID
  208 HP / 24 Spa / 44 SpD / 232 Spe
  HP: 383
  ATK: 169
  DEF: 254
  SPA: [B]222[/B]
  SPD: 207
  SPE: 334
Mainly placing it here because of damage calculation fun.

Its weird because my brain loves the Smog Imp, but my heart just loves Cartoons!'s design much more. Still, I think that with the stat allocation and the movepool options, the Smog Imp would be much less awkward to actually implement into the game than Cartoons!'s design. It doesn't really surpass Cartoons!'s submission, in my mind, until you really step back and think about how it will work in the actual game. I just think that the Smog Imp would work better than something that really should have had a different stat spread, and can't do much more than Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Encore, Rapid Spin, and the elemental punches, whereas the Smog Imp can do all that and more.
That's exactly what I see in this situation. I love both artist creations equally(sorta) but I do believe that Smog Imp reflect the stat allocation and role/job better than Scarfy evo. I also agree that it had a better chance of getting a slightly more useable movepool not named utility moves.

I voted for Cartoons and Absolution.

FWIW, Cartoons did that hilarious animation of Long Legs beating up Blissey, and its Sludge Bomb did come out of those spots on its hands, so it's not too far out there that it could do something similar for other special moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)