Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would lagging tail serve...
Obi was just correcting me I mentioned using it to make you slower for trick room but it wouldn't work because I never read the analysis. You would really only use it to trick/switcheroo it onto someone else or maybe I could see you giving it to Groudon to ensure Sun against Kyogre or something like that.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It could also be used with something like Metal Burst to ensure that it always activates. There are some situations in 2v2 where you want to guarantee that you go after your partner (and your partner might need to be very slow). Overall it's not a good item, but most items aren't.

ok well since so many TR teams are out there has anyone found a good counter?

also who thinks they'll be running a trickroom team for the 2009 showdown? i might just beacuase it seems to be the winning team. and i want to win.lol =D

ok well since so many TR teams are out there has anyone found a good counter?

also who thinks they'll be running a trickroom team for the 2009 showdown? i might just beacuase it seems to be the winning team. and i want to win.lol =D
It's very likely that im going to run a TR team. But what i want to know is, whats predictable and whats not predictable about them? I was thinking of using a possibly common lead for a TR doubles team, i just hope its not. The lead i am planning on using tends to be explained about a lot.

It's very likely that im going to run a TR team. But what i want to know is, whats predictable and whats not predictable about them? I was thinking of using a possibly common lead for a TR doubles team, i just hope its not. The lead i am planning on using tends to be explained about a lot.
well predictable would be a smeargle & Bronzong.

but i might now run smeargle, instead i might use Togekiss or maybe even a Clefable.

well predictable would be a smeargle & Bronzong.

but i might now run smeargle, instead i might use Togekiss or maybe even a Clefable.
Those are still very predictable trick room leads, but then again so would leading with pretty much anything that learns Trick Room. The only thing that's both slow and wouldn't scream TR would probably be Exeggutor since your opponent would suspect Sunny Day.

Im using hitmontop and typloshion to counter the bronzong and smeargle combo. If I run into a rain dance team, Typloshion will just use Focus Blast or something to take a big chunk out of kingdra. Hitmontop also takes care of ludicolo and jolteon so im safe here. And if Dragonite comes in I stone edge it.

Ugh its kind of sad how smeargle and bronzong are going to be on every team. Is it possible any rain team can counter it. I have another doubles rain team with metagross included so trickroom wont be so bad.

Also, A question. Do the bronzong smeargle sets have dark void?

EDIT: Ive been trying to develop a hail team for doubles but I havent been able to think of anything, Any ideas?

Smeargle often has Dark Void, especially the lv. 1 kind.

@donutt = Well, Abomasnow is a good place to start. Then I am sure you can work it out from there; just pick things that are good at using Blizzard to help you get started. ;)

Results of the last weekends,

13rd, December
- Ishikawa
1st Takatori Swampert/Zapdos/Snorlax/Metagross
2nd Akihiro Snorlax/Dusknoir/Scizor/Kingdra
- Wakayama
1st Endoh Metagross/Cresselia/Gyarados/Snorlax
2nd Ambipom/Gyarados/Cresselia/Metagross
video: 14-81672-18930

14th
- Iwate
1st Gyarados/Infernape/Metagross/Snorlax
2nd Dusknoir/Azelf/Metagross/Togekiss
- Yamanashi
1st BlueJP Gyarados/Snorlax/Ludicolo/Kingdra
2nd Yuma Mamoswine/Abomasnow/Weavile/Glaceon
- Shimane
1st Mizuki Infernape/Togekiss/Heatran/Snorlax
2nd K.Yamar Azelf/Dusknoir/Snorlax/Metagross
- Ehime
1st Hayata Metagross/Salamance/Snorlax/Gyarados
2nd Suzaku Abomasnow/Weavile/Walrein/Heatran

I have a question. I was reading a Game Informer and apparently Knoght Sylvaine used a Groudon in his match at orlando this year. I thought he was banned? Or is that just a rule smogonites have come up with to make it more fair?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone have a good Smeargle/Bronzong counter?
~Star Fox
Vital Spirit Primeape with Choice Band Close Combat can OHKO Smeargle and hopefully 2HKO Bronzong, I guess.

I'll be looking into this tournament later. Is there going to be another lottery or can you just show up?

I have a question. I was reading a Game Informer and apparently Knoght Sylvaine used a Groudon in his match at orlando this year. I thought he was banned? Or is that just a rule smogonites have come up with to make it more fair?
I've read that article too, and it confused me, seeing as on the official website for the VGS, Groudon is plainly depicted on the ban list.

Perhaps just a typo by the magazine editors?

um where did you read the article i would really like to know and read it myself.

Heres an aweesome strategy for the tournument. Dont worry it counters itself.

Weavile @ Focus sash
Jolly or Adamant
252 attack 252 spe 6HP

-Ice Punch
-Fake Out
-NightSlash
-Brick Break

paired up with

Typlosion @ Choice Scarf
Modest
252 spe 252 spA, 6 HP

-Eruption
-Focus Blast
-HP ELECTRICK
-Filler

I know this should probably be posted in the doubles strategy thread but Ive heard a lot of questions on the Bronzong Smear counter. Weavle is the selected fake outer to be paired with typlosion as it kills Dragonite that resists Eruption. It also takes a nice amount out of kingdra and ludiciolo. Thi s strategy runs right through Metagross and the Bronzong and Smeargle common combo. It also defeats the latios and latias combo. Heatran is not so much a problem if brick break kills it off or focus Blast hits. Zapdos gets owned. Just a statretegy people can use. Swampert is a big problem and so is gyrados in a way. That is why the two other pokemon after this strategy are Ludicolo and Jolteon. Ludicolo will be a vital grass type. Looking at the tornument teams in Japan im a bit worried about this strategy.

EDIT: To go instead of this typlosion would be the weaker, but more diverse infernape with Grass Knot and Heat Wave. However, you wouldnt be able to count on Heat Wave OHKOing Bronzong as eruption would...

It is a typo; I guarantee it. I was there in Orlando watching all his matches, and zerowing was there as well. Groudon is just a typo, probably by an AP press report or something. IIRC his winning team was Hippowdon/Bronzong/Garchomp/something else. There was no Groudon, lol.

edit = @above: IIRC a very similar strategy was used by a Japanese player back in 2007 for their PokemonLeague 2007 qualifiers. It utterly destroyed a hail team that his opponent had. The battle ended in like 5 turns, lol.

Any Dragonite, including ones that might be seen in Showdown, have Inner Focus, which grants immunity to Fake Out. so Weavile won't stop it unless it uses Ice Punch, and even then it might have Yache Berry. Brick Break from Weavile won't KO Heatran, it will only get to around 60% damage. Focus Blast from Typhlosion does much better, but only to around 88%. But if you are locked into Eruption, you would have to switch it out and then back in for you to use it, and by that time Brick Break has already 2KOed.

Once Kingdra/Ludicolo/whatever set up rain by surviving Eruption, it's gg for Typhlosion, because even with Choice Scarf, Kingdra in rain will outspeed it if it has enough Speed EVs(80), which most if not all do. and that is a neutral nature. If they run timid, you are definitely outsped.

Just a few things to think about. ;)

I meant using ice Punch and Dragonite wont survive with a lot even on Jolly nature. Eruption will finish it off. Theres way too much to counter I think Ill just make my own sort of team. Or, Ill just add infernape in Typlosions spot and im set

hows this set

infernape @ Expert Belt
Naive
252 spA, 252spe, 6 attack

-Close Combat
-Grass Knot
-ThunderPunch
-Heat Wave

This is for doubles. I think it will cover most.

Heres an aweesome strategy for the tournument. Dont worry it counters itself.

Weavile @ Focus sash
Jolly or Adamant
252 attack 252 spe 6HP

-Ice Punch
-Fake Out
-NightSlash
-Brick Break

paired up with

Typlosion @ Choice Scarf
Modest
252 spe 252 spA, 6 HP

-Eruption
-Focus Blast
-HP ELECTRICK
-Filler

I know this should probably be posted in the doubles strategy thread but Ive heard a lot of questions on the Bronzong Smear counter. Weavle is the selected fake outer to be paired with typlosion as it kills Dragonite that resists Eruption. It also takes a nice amount out of kingdra and ludiciolo. Thi s strategy runs right through Metagross and the Bronzong and Smeargle common combo. It also defeats the latios and latias combo. Heatran is not so much a problem if brick break kills it off or focus Blast hits. Zapdos gets owned. Just a statretegy people can use. Swampert is a big problem and so is gyrados in a way. That is why the two other pokemon after this strategy are Ludicolo and Jolteon. Ludicolo will be a vital grass type. Looking at the tornument teams in Japan im a bit worried about this strategy.

EDIT: To go instead of this typlosion would be the weaker, but more diverse infernape with Grass Knot and Heat Wave. However, you wouldnt be able to count on Heat Wave OHKOing Bronzong as eruption would...
That's almost EXACTLY what i was planning to do, but i got negative reviews...

. What were you considering Infernape or Typlosion.

EDIT: This strategy looks useable and i wanted to know which is the better choice

lol the thing is, Eruption from Typhlosion doesn't OHKO Bronzong iirc, especially since there's going to be a doubles modifier in there..., so either way.. that Bronzong's pulling out a Trick Room in which case, Scarfed Typhlosion and Weavile are as good as dead. If Typhlosion can Taunt.. that might be a good Filler, though you'd have to switch after using it...

lol the thing is, Eruption from Typhlosion doesn't OHKO Bronzong iirc, especially since there's going to be a doubles modifier in there..., so either way.. that Bronzong's pulling out a Trick Room in which case, Scarfed Typhlosion and Weavile are as good as dead. If Typhlosion can Taunt.. that might be a good Filler, though you'd have to switch after using it...
Typhlosion cant learn taunt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)