Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10th
Mie
1st Salamance/Infernape/Metagross/Ludicolo
2nd PolygonZ/Gengar/Lickilicky/Gyarados

Jan 11th
Kagawa
1st Kandori Abomasnow/Infernape/Togekiss/Mamoswine
2nd Platinum Latios/Metagross/Gyarados/Snorlax

Miyazaki
1st Silver Cresselia/Zapdos/Metagross/Snorlax
2nd Kohei Milotic/Jolteon/Lapras/Azumarill

Jan 12th
1st Cool Togekiss/Dusknoir/Heatran/Metagross
2nd Metagross/Arcanine/Latias/Latios

I have to inform about this article(iirc I've post this previously) : http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pid_iv_creation
Japanese players revealed the relation between frames and random seed that everyone can get same well IV (+ HP ground) Latios or Cresselia without hacking.
Though I don't think this kind of fact should be discussed here, this will change the metagame. HP ground can 1-2HKO Metagross and Heatran.
Before the tourney, I saw a Cresselia with Calm Mind/Protect/HP ground/Shadow Ball and it's Bold 31-26-31-30-30-31. This is so offensive and can't be KOed easily. This is why I lost my confidence in Rain Dance team.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know the faulty RNG on Emerald makes it easy to get specific IV spreads (this is how I bred a 30/19/31/30/30/31 HP Ground Yanma with a stopwatch), but Diamond\Pearl doesn't have that kind of vulnerability. How could they possibly obtain that Cresselia using a similar method?

Maybe they took the PID from X-Act's applet and hacked a Cresselia with that PID, IV, and nature?

Maybe Platinum does have the vulnerability? Maybe it's an intentional design if GameFreak realized how players appreciated it in Emerald. Emerald and Platinum do have that focus around competitive battling...

Japanese players revealed the relation between frames and random seed that everyone can get same well IV (+ HP ground) Latios or Cresselia without hacking.
This is probably the most intriguing thing about this. I don't know how this would translate to Platinum/D/P, let alone in Emerald (which is the only place to get a good IV'd Latios/Latias, I assume).

Though I don't think this kind of fact should be discussed here, this will change the metagame.
I'd like to hear more about this though, it seems really interesting! I'd never would have thought X-Act's applet would lead to such a discovery.

Maybe they took the PID from X-Act's applet and hacked a Cresselia with that PID, IV, and nature?
micuat does say that they obtain Cresselia and Latios without hacking, but I don't know for sure if he doesn't mean that Japanese players simply have found a way to make them look completely legitimate to bypass Nintendo's hack checking.

Anyway, enough about that for now. Thanks again for posting the results, micuat! I have a question, though; which district are these results for?

Jan 12th
1st Cool Togekiss/Dusknoir/Heatran/Metagross
2nd Metagross/Arcanine/Latias/Latios
Looks like the first place team is Trick Room, but I do wonder how Heatran and Metagross defeated the Lati twins (I'm guessing a well timed Explosion or something). The 2nd place team uses a strategy similar to the one I am working on, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

I have to inform about this article(iirc I've post this previously) : http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pid_iv_creation
Though I don't think this kind of fact should be discussed here, this will change the metagame. HP ground can 1-2HKO Metagross and Heatran.
Before the tourney, I saw a Cresselia with Calm Mind/Protect/HP ground/Shadow Ball and it's Bold 31-26-31-30-30-31. This is so offensive and can't be KOed easily. This is why I lost my confidence in Rain Dance team.
Interesting. So, there is a RNG timing issue in D/P as well, or is it only Platinum? Do you have any idea how long he waited before 'talking' to Cresselia, or the lengths of time before you can get desired results?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is probably the most intriguing thing about this. I don't know how this would translate to Platinum/D/P, let alone in Emerald (which is the only place to get a good IV'd Latios/Latias, I assume).
It's been known for some time that Emerald has a faulty RNG. It starts off with the same random seed every time you start the game. So if I encounter a Pokemon 30 seconds after I reset the game, reset, then encounter another Pokemon 30 seconds after that reset, that second Pokemon will have the exact same IVs, nature, and PID as that first Pokemon - even if it's a different species! (Synchronize, Cute Charm and the like mess with this a bit, but we'll ignore them for this example.)

There's a Youtube video floating around that demonstrates how to catch a very good IV'd Timid Latixs if you select "blue" or "red" from the TV screen in Mom's house at around 2 minutes, 20 seconds after the game is reset.

Anyway, unless Platinum is discovered to have a similar faulty RNG, I suspect those players took the IVs, nature, and PID from X-Act's applet and hacked a Cresselia that bypassed the hack check.

Platinum has a more sophisticated and poor RNG.
They determine the first Random Seed by using date and time of DS. This means that it enables to get better Pokemon, which needs to wait a few month if you are using Emerald.

HP Ground Cresselia with Calm Mind is a good counter against Rain Dance team which means good stuff is now superior to Rain Dance team.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Micuat, do you have any websites(even if they're in Japanese) or videos that explain how to catch one of the Bold 31-26-31-30-30-31 Cresselia? Or do you know yourself exactly what to do, as in what the date should be, how long to wait before talking to Cresselia, and whatever else is required?

well since my phone line was cut my internet went off. but so far i see i missed alot also i dont understand what any of you guys are talkning about. can some one plz explain?

The japanese players found a timing to get a flawless hp ground cresselia.

Micuat I google translated the site you posted but it doesnt help anyone unless we know the timing to get it. I do understand the RNG stuff though

very cool, but still i dont understand some terms like Seed, and RNG. also lets say im going to SR for my latios with HP-Ground what should i be doing to get ready?

Hey Haku, nice to see you back on the scene. :P

To capture that Latios spread in Emerald watch the video below. You don't really have to know about how seeds and RNGs work, but those concepts help explain why you can catch these pokemon spreads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvk8rObA60

Thanks Jibaku, by the way!

Read X-Act's article about those other concepts if you're interested:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pid_iv_creation

Basically, when soft resetting, you want to wait approx. 2 minutes and 2 seconds before hitting the A button to confirm with your in-game mom that the pokemon shown in the newscast was blue. Trading for Latios before you challenge the Elite 4 (to get its pokedex data, and therefore its map location data) and getting two pokemon with Fly and Teleport will make catching Latios much easier.

@OmegaDonut: I'd known about Emerald's unique RNG situation, but I was puzzled by what he meant with "frames"; I thought maybe the japanese players had discovered something new, but I guess it wasn't so. :P

The more I look at the link micuat provided, the more I am led to suspect that Gamefreak did this on purpose. I mean, what are the chances of exploitable RNGs in the third games of two succesive generations? xD

I highly doubt Gamefreak intentionally did this, heck, if I didn't know better, if someone in the U.S. mentioned it at a Showdown qualifier, Nintendo would freak and claim it doesn't exist (much like Emerald cloning).

I was wondering, how good is shedinja for this tourney?
I used Shedinja for a while in one of my teams and it doesn't really help out in a team. Pretty much what I mean is you'll kind of save it towards the end. Hail knocks it out too, and you may face a Ttar or Hippowdon which screws it up. When I did use it, I saved it until I couldn't use it. I probably used it wrong though, but you can probably find a better way to work around it's issues in your team.

@ Sude = Could you show me a thread explaining the RNG in Emerald? I've heard about it but never actually learned about it. With the showdown coming up, I could really use one too help me get a good Latias.

@ Tri-DarkSouls = Thanks! I meant to put Latias too lol. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Unfortunately, not yet. I don't know how big Pokemon is in Europe, though, to warrant enough involvement from the corporate bigwigs. :(

Unfortunately, not yet. I don't know how big Pokemon is in Europe, though, to warrant enough involvement from the corporate bigwigs. :(
Well, the TCG is fairly popular over there iirc...no clue about the video game though. I doubt there would be one this year probably though.

Micuat, I wanted to wish you luck in your upcoming 2nd chance tournament. You know you've prepared for it, all it comes down to is focusing and responding to the opponent's strategy accordingly.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off subject but recently many of us have had questions about this weather condition. No one is sure if it is a glitch or if it's something that has been intentionally added to the game. Perhaps you could shed some light on it:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50341

It seems to be a glitch, IMO. It might be easier to pull off in a double battle, but not that effective. Just start with a Pursuit Scizor with scarf and a Hippo. I'll have to try it out when Plat comes out and see what options the glitch presents.

Does the opponent have to switch in order for it to work?

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off subject but recently many of us have had questions about this weather condition. No one is sure if it is a glitch or if it's something that has been intentionally added to the game. Perhaps you could shed some light on it:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50341
Maybe that is fixed because they use the special machines for tourney.
The special machine is actually an ordinary DS, but the slot 1 is connected to a white box. Though I don't know anyone who tried it, I guess it doesn't work.

I hope US Plat has fixed it, and hope that PBR 2 will come out soon(for Japanese).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)