Shoddy Battle 2 (the future of Shoddy Battle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It would. Its pretty impossible to know when you'll finish ahead of time. Too many variables to consider, and its not their job, they don't work on Shoddy 8 hours a day. Likely announcing a time will get too many people's expectations up, and it'll likely be wrong.

They gave us a estimate (I cannot find it) about Shoddy 2's completion at the beginning of Summer-ish. They said it was possible that it could be completed around September-Decemeber this year. So in that respect they have already set expectations. After so many months have passed I would assume that a new completion date could be surmised.

I don't want to come off as impatient but unfortuatley I am because I'm so stoked about thier project, it looks amazing. If they said that it probably won't be complete for another year; fine, I can certianly wait. I would just be nice for another projected completion date.

Listen, it's understandable we're pretty anxious as shit to see this Simulator out. I understand Colin/Bearzly have there hands full, and it's also volunteer work coming from them. But there was a time given when it was gonna come out September at the earliest, But no hard promises. Tbh, Colin gave to many people high hopes with that. I understand "No hard Promises", But nobody hasn't kept us updated on "WHY" is taking so long. I'm guessing they are either implementing HG/SS and it's keeping the Sim on a delay, or w/e it is. If Colin needs help on this, why doesn't he find somebody else to join the Dev team to speed things up?! Not trying to be selfish, i just think Colin could use all the help he could get right now.

And if it's not to much problem, can we see new screen shots? I wanna have another nose bleed and see so far the new features.

Listen, it's understandable we're pretty anxious as shit to see this Simulator out. I understand Colin/Bearzly have there hands full, and it's also volunteer work coming from them. But there was a time given when it was gonna come out September at the earliest, But no hard promises. Tbh, Colin gave to many people high hopes with that. I understand "No hard Promises", But nobody hasn't kept us updated on "WHY" is taking so long. I'm guessing they are either implementing HG/SS and it's keeping the Sim on a delay, or w/e it is. If Colin needs help on this, why doesn't he find somebody else to join the Dev team to speed things up?! Not trying to be selfish, i just think Colin could use all the help he could get right now.

And if it's not to much problem, can we see new screen shots? I wanna have another nose bleed and see so far the new features.
I think it's taking so long because Colin is trying to help out the actual site. That's more important then working on a new battle simulator, when we already have a fully functioning one already. Have you noticed any of the new forum changes around here? Such as upgrading the forums, and the new name change and order preference features? I don't think it's just coincidence that all these new things got programmed in once Colin became an administrator. This is most probably why the simulator is not out a couple months after he said it might be out. Of course, he may have some irl issues also. I'm also very anxious for the new one, but it will come. But in the mean time, we have a perfectly working battle simulator already.

Anybody can help on the code if they want. It's completely open-source.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
We had originally intended to finish Shoddy Battle 2 by the end of September, and that seemed reasonable at the time. However, my progress slowed down for various reasons, including school and other things. I don't get paid to work on the battle simulator or any other pokemon-related programming project, so I don't feel obligated to meet any particular deadline, and that's why the opening post of this thread said "at the earliest" clearly.

That said, Shoddy Battle 2 is reasonably close to being done. The general battle framework is mostly done. (The incomplete part is stuff like displaying status effects in the client.) Over 99% (actual ratio) of the moves are done. 85% of the abilities are done. Around half the items are done. The remaining work includes a lot of tedious administrative stuff and general "glue" to hold the program together. The thing about large projects is the final "small" amount of work can end up taking a lot more time than you would think, and that's happened here for various reasons. It's my "fault" Shoddy Battle 2 isn't released yet, but as I emphasised above, this is volunteer work. It will be finished when it is finished. (After Doug finishes his damage calculator for the site, which he has been working on for a long time now, so it's nearing completion, he has expressed an interest to help finish Shoddy Battle 2 as well, so that should aid in completion.)

Anyway, I plan to post a more detailed overview of the state of Shoddy Battle 2 later, including some information on what features are in the initial release, and what ones will have to wait for later releases. As for a "release date", I reiterate again that this is volunteer work, but I understand that a lot of people are excited for the program. I may say something more specific when I make my more detailed post.

Thanks everybody for your continued interest, and as I said, I'll be posting some more information a bit later.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you really want to see it you could just be awesome and compile it. That's what I'm gonna do, since I don't really have anything much to program. Might be good to examine the source code too, since that's my major.

Problem is, I don't have much experience with Java sans Class and some self teaching, so I'll need to work on resolving this dum reference problem in the Client, and finding some way to make the server section open in Netbeans [has an nbproject folder but none of it is liked by NetBeans. Bleh.

Thanks for the info Colin. I think I speak for us all when I say that we appreciate all the time and effort you guys are putting into this.

Super

This space for rent
Lol I'm so stupid. I got the client working at least (not the server/pokemon engine bit). I have a few gripes with it, but overall its beautiful.

To discourage people from asking for battles, the Find Tab should be the default tab that is open when you open the program. A lot of people who ask for battles on the main chat are beginners who don't know how to use all the program's features, so having the Find Tab be the default would help them find battles.

Thank you for all the hard work Colin, I along with many others look forward to the completed project.

Just as a side note, since Shoddy 1 tends to have issues which people call lag, will that be removed in the new one? I dont have the time to go through 23 pages of this for a simple question.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
From Page 1:

The server is a cross-platform C++ application. The network protocol is much simpler than Shoddy Battle 1's, uses a lot less bandwidth, and overall should make the program much faster (Shoddy Battle 1's protocol is very bloated).

To discourage people from asking for battles, the Find Tab should be the default tab that is open when you open the program. A lot of people who ask for battles on the main chat are beginners who don't know how to use all the program's features, so having the Find Tab be the default would help them find battles.
I'll second on that - since it's exactly what I did when I first tried to use Shoddy.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think think that the "Speed last" ordering, which is what the Smogon analysis, dex pages, and the summary page in the games all use should be standard in team builder. Just helps to reduce player confusion, and keep the order the same everywhere.

I have suggestions about the way Shoddy 2 Ladder will work. It should be clearer for users to see who wants to battle unranked, ranked, or if the user is away. For example, If a user is marks themselves as Away they're color that appears on the Users list is changed to red. This will help the overall make the chat rooms look tidy, and will clear up a lot of confusion.

We had originally intended to finish Shoddy Battle 2 by the end of September, and that seemed reasonable at the time. However, my progress slowed down for various reasons, including school and other things. I don't get paid to work on the battle simulator or any other pokemon-related programming project, so I don't feel obligated to meet any particular deadline, and that's why the opening post of this thread said "at the earliest" clearly.

That said, Shoddy Battle 2 is reasonably close to being done. The general battle framework is mostly done. (The incomplete part is stuff like displaying status effects in the client.) Over 99% (actual ratio) of the moves are done. 85% of the abilities are done. Around half the items are done. The remaining work includes a lot of tedious administrative stuff and general "glue" to hold the program together. The thing about large projects is the final "small" amount of work can end up taking a lot more time than you would think, and that's happened here for various reasons. It's my "fault" Shoddy Battle 2 isn't released yet, but as I emphasised above, this is volunteer work. It will be finished when it is finished. (After Doug finishes his damage calculator for the site, which he has been working on for a long time now, so it's nearing completion, he has expressed an interest to help finish Shoddy Battle 2 as well, so that should aid in completion.)

Anyway, I plan to post a more detailed overview of the state of Shoddy Battle 2 later, including some information on what features are in the initial release, and what ones will have to wait for later releases. As for a "release date", I reiterate again that this is volunteer work, but I understand that a lot of people are excited for the program. I may say something more specific when I make my more detailed post.

Thanks everybody for your continued interest, and as I said, I'll be posting some more information a bit later.

And old quote from an industry proffesional is what I always follow.

"Once you calculate how long it will take you to finish your game, double that estimation. That's about how long it will take you to be completely done."

I just wanted to say, I LOVE BOXES. Keep them :3.

also, can you put a time on the chat? For example, instead of it saying

PI-Dimension: hi

it would say

(11:11:11 AM) PI-Dimension: hi

I'm still hoping that there's an option to turn off chat, rather than just blocking specific members. I really don't want to chat with anyone while I'm battling, except at the end of course to say gg. Other than that I don't care about talking trash, or even just random chat until the battle's over.

I wonder if there could be a way to get rid of annoying people, I mean like when some people in shoddy just not do anything for 5 min when it's their turn to use move or something just to annoy someone, maybe make the wait shorter than 5 minutes?

TEzeon

I'm a ramblin gamblin dude!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My post will probably be ignored, but I just want to say thanks to colin and the rest of the shoddy battle crew for bringing us such an awesome battle sim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)