CAP 10 CAP 10 - Part 10a - Attacking Moves Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless the list of OU pokemon who we gain coverage on looks like this: Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Dragonite, Salamence, Flygon, Latias, Zapdos, (Gliscor*); 8-9 very common pokemon covered with Ice Beam that weren't with STAB.
Gliscor shouldn't be in that list because he get's killed by Surf. Zapdos & Latias are still decent checks towards CAP10 and depending on what set they're using they wouldn't be bothered too much by Ice Beam anyhow. This leaves Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, and Shaymin being "hammered" by Ice Beam but that's a minor/major lose depending on how you feel about the current counter/check made by DrkSlay.

Each of these pokemon can be handled without Ice Beam; using Bug for Celebi, Roserade, and Latias, HP flying or Psychic for Breloom, Dragon for the Dragon types (or HP Ice), and Rock for Zapdos. Therefore removing Ice Beam does not keep us from potentially countering any of these pokemon, it only forces specificity which fits the concept IMO.
Why not just use HP Ice and hit majority for super effective damage? The only thing HP Ice doesn't maul is Celebi (Bug Buzz will be doing that), Shaymin, Latias (But you couldn't face it one-on-one with a Special set anyway), Roserade (which might be good if you believe increasing the usage of a Pokemon is good on and btw Roserade is neutral to bug), and Zapdos (Who can take an Ice Beam decently well depending on the moveset it's using).

In summary, Ice Beam will not make this pokemon broken but I feel it strays from the concept too far. If Ice Beam is allowed then there is rarely going to be the need to run any of these other attacks. With it removed 4mss really kicks in and forces us to pick our threats instead of shooting for blanket coverage. Starmie is not broken but it does get fantastic coverage with three moves. We should try to avoid that kind of coverage to achieve the concept.
Kicking Ice Beam/Blizzard wouldn't really solve the problem of "lack of customization" as people could just run HP Ice on their special set and nail those mentioned Pokemon for SE damage. A Special set of Surf/TBolt/HP Ice/Bug Buzz would probably be the cookie cutter set of CAP10. As you said it yourself Ice Beam wouldn't break the Pokemon so I don't see why we need to ban Ice Beam/Blizzard from this Pokemon.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you about any of those moves making CAP10 a sweeper rather that a wide range of coverage with four moves does not match the concept.
But it looks like CAP10 has already strayed too far from the original concept as majority of us are using offensive geared EV spreads and moveset for their argument, thus implying that people will most likely use it as a sweeper than anything else.

If Thunderbolt is too powerful, then people will just use Discharge. The same goes for every other move there - if it is banned, then a slightly inferior version will simply be used in place and the same coverage problem occurs. Nothing gets changed, so the reason to ban them becomes invalid.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if you were including Ice Beam here or not but regardles of the moves you are talking about a lot does change when a superior option is taken away. Celebi is a great example with Ice Beam. Ice Beam 2HKOs while HP Ice doesn't which means that a CAP without Ice Beam would have to use something else (Bug) to deal with it. I don't think anyone is arguing with you about any of those moves making CAP10 a sweeper rather that a wide range of coverage with four moves does not match the concept. I am all for keeping the standard STAB options but outside of them I really feel we should try to force specificity as much as possible. If any attack is deemed unnecessarily broad in its coverage then it should be removed whether it is 'broken' or not.

BEEJ said:
I would also appreciate more discussion of Overheat. I have heard the arguments against it, but I've heard very limited arguments for it, and the ones that I've heard were pretty interesting. It should be noted that Overheat provides a very reliable option against Scizor, Lucario and Metagross, but unless you run a very offensive version of CAP10, Overheat doesn't even 3HKO specially defensive Bronzong along with the drops, while Bronzong can easily take the time to do something like set up the screens and switch to a setup Pokemon. Speaking of setup Pokemon, it's also important to remember that Overheat weakens the rest of your special moves, including Surf and Thunderbolt, which leaves you even more susceptible to other threats. Therefore, I'm very reluctant to outright ban Overheat and I think it should remain controversial unless there is more discussion on the matter.
With pleasure.

The biggest reason to support Overheat is that it is the single best option against Lucario and Metagross. I'd like to point out just how significantly better it is than Earthquake against Lucario and Metagross, though, since it might not be obvious initially.
Code:
252 Jolly Leftovers Pokemon Earthquake  

vs. 0/4 Adamant Life Orb Lucario : 76.9% - 91.1%
  vs. 112/12 Adamant Life Orb Metagross : 39.5% - 46.8%
Okay, so what this tells you is that you cannot reliably beat either of these threats with just Earthquake and Leftovers. That's a tragedy really, because it either forces CAP10 to have reliable recovery, which BEEJ already turned down promptly, or it forces us to use a boosting item - the best of which is arguably Life Orb.

For physical sets, Superpower is the way to go against Lucario, so let's look at that too.
Code:
252 Jolly Leftovers Pokemon Superpower  

vs. 0/4 Adamant Life Orb Lucario : 92.5% - 109.6%
Still, even after Stealth Rock, you aren't guaranteed that OHKO. If push comes to shove and Lucario has to stick around, even though he dies from LO recoil, he will kill you with a +2 CC.
Code:
0/120/0 Jolly Leftovers Pokemon 

vs. 252 Jolly Life Orb Lucario +2 Close Combat  : 113.8% - 134.1%
That is the best we can do defensively EV-wise while still outspeeding Jolly Lucario. He maims us. Okay, so now either our CAP10 has to run Life Orb, or we look into other, more powerful, attacking options. Let's check out Overheat.
Code:
252 Timid Leftovers Pokemon Overheat  

vs. Jolly Life Orb Lucario : 108.2% - 127.4%
  vs. 112/0 Adamant Life Orb Metagross : 75.4% - 88.8%

176 Timid Leftovers Pokemon Overheat  

vs. Jolly Life Orb Lucario : 100.4% - 118.1%
  vs. 112/0 Adamant Life Orb Metagross : 69.3% - 82.1%
Immediately, you realize just how hard you hit both of these threats without carrying a Life Orb. In the absence of reliable healing, Leftovers is going to be CAP10's best friend. The ability to counter Lucario and Metagross without forcing CAP10 into Life Orb-land is invaluable, and Overheat will perhaps become one of CAP10's best countering tools as a result of this. Furthermore, you only need 176 SpA EVs to guarantee the kill on Lucario with a 2HKO guaranteed on Metagross (better if it's switched into SR and has taken a round of LO; we can pump SpA a bit more to guarantee the kill) Despite having just maimed Metagross or Lucario, though, we become setup fodder the turn after with our severely weakened Surfs, Thunderbolts, and consequent Overheats. This balances it out and gives the opponent a fair chance to catch up after having just lost a significant sweeper at no consequence to CAP10's user's team.

Finally, people fear Overheat for one big reason: it gives us a hard-hitting option against Bronzong. Let me show you how that above Overheat we optimized for Lucario actually fares against Bronzong.
Code:
176 Timid Leftovers Pokemon Overheat  

vs. Jolly Life Orb Lucario : 100.4% - 118.1%
  vs. 252/92 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong : 46.2% - 54.4%

176 Timid Leftovers Pokemon -2 Overheat

vs. 252/92 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong : 23.1% - 27.8%

176 Timid Leftovers Pokemon -2 Surf  

vs. 252/92 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong : 11.8% - 14.2%
It doesn't even 3HKO standard Bronzong! No combination of moves beats Bronzong, meanwhile it can throw up some screens and even Explode on you in the time you've just given it to set up. It's even worse if Bronzong decided to come in after you using Overheat already on someone like Lucario.

Only the absolute most offensive CAP10 can threaten a 2HKO to Bronzong with its LO boosted Overheats. Still, despite this, it can still get up a Light Screen as long as it doesn't switch into the Overheat and then Explode on you.
Code:
252 Timid Life Orb Pokemon Overheat  
  vs. 252/92 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong : 63.9% - 75.7%

252 Timid Life Orb Pokemon -2 Overheat  
  vs. 252/92 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong : 32.5% - 38.5%

252 Timid Life Orb Pokemon -2 Overheat  
  vs. 252/92 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong +LScreen : 16.6% - 19.5%

Timid Life Orb Pokemon 
  vs. 86 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong Explosion  : 104.3% - 122.8%
For fun, I included what Bronzong's return Explosion is against sweeper variants of CAP10 - a surefire OHKO. Anyways, as you can see, Overheat fails to allow you to absolutely beat Bronzong without it getting up screens and then blowing you into oblivion.

Finally, one point I think makes Overheat even more fair. Overheat is a worse option against Scizor and Forretress than HPFire because it allows you to be set up on the following turn. HPFire is what you will want if you are only care about Scizor and Forretress*, since if you use Overheat, any number of things can setup on the weakened CAP10 the following turns if they switch out. In conclusion, I hope everyone can see and agree with me when I say that not only is Overheat an excellent, viable, and greatly important option to have on CAP10 - it's also not powerful enough to break down the walls that give us the most trouble. In lieu of all of this, I say Overheat should be on CAP10's movepool.

*Here are the calcs in case you were curious. HPFire doesn't OHKO either of them (it has a chance to against Scizor with SR and always kills Defensive Forret with SR), but it inflicts so much damage that none of them are able to stick around. Furthermore, the -2 doesn't make you into setup fodder the next turn if they predict your cheeky notion. Finally, if Forretress and Scizor don't use Leftovers (Lol @ Leftovers Scizor), they can't switch into SR again - and with Leftovers, Magnezone has a field day with both.
Code:
252 Timid Leftovers Pokemon Overheat  

vs. 248/0 Adamant Choice Band Scizor : 158.6% - 187.8%
  vs. 252/0 Relaxed Shed Shell Forretress : 192.1% - 227.1%
  vs. 252/212 Careful Leftovers Forretress : 132.2% - 155.9%

252 Timid Leftovers Pokemon (70bp Fire Special)  

vs. 248/0 Adamant Choice Band Scizor : 79.3% - 94.5%
  vs. 252/0 Relaxed Shed Shell Forretress : 96% - 114.1%
  vs. 252/212 Careful Leftovers Forretress : 66.7% - 79.1%

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so one of the major arguments for using Overheat is to counter the likes of Lucario and Metagross.
What about Earth Power?
Calcs for Neutral Nature Max SpA CAP10 Life Orb Earth Power;
4 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Lucario: 89.36% - 105.67%
With Stealth Rock: 53.84% chance to OHKO.

4 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Metagross: 73.05% - 86.52%
252 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Metagross: 59.88% - 70.93%

I'll concur - Earth Power doesn't have the guaranteed OHKOing power Overheat does, however it doesn't have the sheer coverage Overheat does either, making it more suited to the concept in that it should only be used to counter certain Pokemon such as some Heatran, Jolteon and Magnezone or Lucario and Metagross. The two groups are different and are very limited in what they are, which is just right. As well as that, if CAP10 uses Earth Power as something such as Latias or Gengar switches in, that makes CAP10 easily countered in itself, which is what we're looking for.

I can understand the use of Overheat to guarantee killing all Metagross, but I think that it just has a bit too much coverage backed by general power.

Just one note - I don't think we should constantly assume 252 EVs and + Nature for all the attacks CAP 10 will be using. Since CAP 10 is supposed to be a counter, that is, switch in and threaten out many of these Pokemon, we shouldn't only check to see if his attacks threaten the Pokemon we want it to counter, but if the investment we're hypothesizing for his attack scores would allow for enough speed and defensive investment to make switching in viable. I'm not sure of any specific calculations I'd like to recheck along these terms, but looking through the thread it seems like the vast majority of calculations from CAP 10 seem to assume that it will be running full (or nearly full) investment in its attacking stat.

Phi said:
Just one note - I don't think we should constantly assume 252 EVs and + Nature for all the attacks CAP 10 will be using.
However, it is good to assume max investment for a "worst case" as to how X move will be at maximum power on CAP10. This is so we can investigate and discuss potential for CAP10 to use X move on sweeper sets of itself - and thereby go against its concept. It is for this reason that we present "best" (and consequently "worst" for the opponent) cases for the damage dealt when describing if a move is healthy on CAP10 or not.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Since it seems that Dusk already pointed out the positives of Overheat, it is only fair to add in some negative qualities to the discussion as well. Note that I'm not 100% against the addition of Overheat, but more or less just highlighting some arguments against Overheat in general.

Calculation-wise against threats using a LO 252 SpA Neutral spread doesn't result in a whole lot of unwanted OHKO's/2HKO's. With that being said, here's a few that jump out:

CAP10's LO 252 SpA Timid Overheat:

Defensive Celebi/Shaymin: 72.8% - 86.1% (guaranteed 2HKO, even after Lefties, something that Ice Beam cannot accomplish)
Offensive Celebi/Shaymin: 86% - 101.8% (OHKO after Rocks)

This is the most troubling aspect of adding Overheat to CAP10's current potential. We'll be giving it a Base 140 Fire move. That's more BP that Ice Beam and Bug Buzz, and we're more worried about these moves against Grass than any other. While the -2 SpA drop isn't great, it certainly doesn't affect these KO's. Shaymin in particular, who is more of a threat to CAP10 than Celebi, will now be 100% dealt with. Do we really want to give CAP10 this kind of power against Celebi, Shaymin, and the Grass types? Especially with how Ice Beam is being debated so?

Here's another aspect of Overheat that a lot of people overlook: why do most Pokemon run Overheat? It's usually either on a Specs set to score huge damage, or more important, its sheer firepower allows it to use Mixed variants on some Pokemon. Look at things like Groudon with Overheat, MixNite with Superpower, and other examples. They use a move like Overheat to help wall break. Giving CAP10 Overheat could result in a mixed CAP10 that can deal with many threats all at once with no Special Attack investment included. Here's a few examples (note that I'm not even using Magic Guard + Life Orb here):

Trace CAP10's Expert Belt 0 SpA Naive Overheat

Spiker Skarmory: 82.6% - 97.6% (Great chance of a OHKO after Rocks. Not the greatest threat and Thunderbolt does better, yes, but now it doesn't have to run TBolt to accomplish this.)
CBScizor: 145.5% - 172%
Specially Defensive Forretress: 120.6% - 142.4%
28/0 Metagross: 73.1% - 86.4%, 36.4% - 43.5% (2HKO)
112/0 Metagross: 68.4% - 80.9%, 34% - 40.7% (2HKO)
252/0 Metagross: 61.8% - 73.1%, 30.8% - 36.8% (2HKO most of the time after SR)
SDLucario: 98.2% - 116% (OHKO. EQ guarantees a OHKO with Life Orb)

Currently, there is no Physical move that can deal with these threats so well, except in the case of Lucario and EQ. There is also only HP Fire so far, which only works for OHKO's on the Special set. Now Physical CAP10 can run Overheat to deal with threats Physical CAP10 shouldn't be built to deal with. A set of Waterfall/TPunch/Superpower/Overheat would not only beat the SkarmBliss combo, but a combination of any three Physical moves could result in CAP10 hitting a wide range of threats from both the Physical and Special spectrum. Also, with the exception of Lucario and somewhat Metagross, most of these Pokemon can already switch into Physical CAP10 without much of a threat. Not to mention that CAP10 won't suffer greatly from the -2 SpA drop it causes, since the move is made to counter the one or two Pokemon that can beat the Physical set. Note that Superpower on the Special set will not 2HKO Blissey, so this theory does not work in reverse.

These are the main points against Overheat. There are a few more, but none as important as these. My overall opinion on Overheat is a moderate "No." It would be a great move for the reasons Dusk mentioned, but because of these particular negatives, it makes CAP10 a bit too powerful in terms of what it can counter.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am completely baffled by the arguments being used against Ice Beam. They seem to fall into two categories.

1. The coverage offered by Ice Beam makes CAP10 too strong.

As others have pointed out, there are Pokemon with coverage that is just as good that are clearly not too strong. Starmie and Lapras come immediately to mind. For that matter, it is hard to find any Pokemon with better coverage than Electivire, and we all know how that works out. The odds of Ice Beam breaking CAP10 are virtually nil.

2. Surf/Waterfall/Ice Beam counters too many threats.

First of all, a moveset never counters anything. Just having Ice Beam does not mean that CAP10 will be capable of countering Zapdos, for instance; Ice beam from Life Orb Timid CAP10 does 47% - 55.4% to SubRoost Zapdos, which may or may not keep Zapdos from executing its SubRoost strategy. Zapdos will do 36.1% - 42.7% in return with Thunderbolt. The difference, of course, is that Zapdos has Roost; CAP10 may not even learn a recovery move. Moreover, on a general sweeper set, CAP10 will still get perfect coverage, since pretty much everyone will just use HP Ice instead of Ice Beam. All that will happen is that CAP10's special movepool will have to be a lot bigger to make up for the fact that using Hidden Power for something other than Ice will pretty much never happen.

Every Smogon strategy reads like a cookie cutter. I think the concern here is that, if you allow Thunder/Water/Ice Beam, it's going to be a cookie that's twice times the size of Thunder/Water/Dragon or Thunder/Water/Fire or Thunder/Water/Bug.

So what? Since when is good coverage undesirable rather than desirable? What difference does it make if CAP10 has an "optimal" special set in terms of moveset?

The concept is to have a Poke that can counter a couple of things at once, but not a lot at once. The argument seems to be that Ice Beam allows CAP10 to counter 60-70% of the metagame with just three move slots, which is waaaay more than just "covering a hole in your team." I'm not exactly positive, but it kinda looks like DrkSlay's numbers agree.

So Ice Beam makes CAP10 Uber....? That is a rather huge jump. If it does with Ice Beam, it needs to be convincingly proven that HP Ice does not. When you look at what Ice Beam allows CAP10 to kill that HP Ice does not (on an offensive set, obviously) the only Pokemon I see it making a difference for are Celebi and Zapdos. Please let me know what I'm missing here. I don't see any CAP10 set countering 60-70% of the metagame, with or without Ice Beam, so I'd love to see what set you're referring to.

TL; DR: Everyone wants CAP10 to be a threat in some form. The concern with Ice Beam is that, rather than tailoring CAP10 to cover your team's weakness, you'll be tailoring your team to cover for CAP10's weakness.

I would have preferred to see it not be a threat, but with base 105 speed and Magic Guard, it's too late now.

Tanz, if we are tailoring this CAP to specifically beat a narrow selection of threats then why is a neutral STAB important? We are in the offensive move discussion. It can get any move we think it needs so your argument for surf doesn't work for me. I personally don't see surf being too big of an issue even though Surf+Thunderbolt IS amazing STAB coverage.

Access to STAB moves with decent power is always important. If CAP10 is so bad offensively that anything it doesn't directly counter can actually set up on it and crush you, no one good will use CAP10.

Yllnath saved me a lot of time going over why I despise Ice Beam. It is simply because it covers too much at once. Who would bother with a bug move with Ice Beam there? Who would bother with a dragon move with Ice Beam available? Almost no one. I agree there will be 'standard' sets regardless of the moves it gets but with the coverage that Ice Beam+(STAB)Surf+(STAB)Thunderbolt the incentive to customize is all but gone. VERY against Ice Beam. Not keen on Ice Punch either but it isn't as big a deal.

How is this bad again? Ice Beam means we will not be forced to give CAP10 a supermassive movepool. Offensive versatility is not something you want a primarily defensive Pokemon to have. A predictable moveset makes a Pokemon much easier to counter than one that has incredibly offensive versatility.

EDIT: Skymin Flower, there are other moves that can be used to hit Zapdos. All of the Rock moves are still pending and would offer SE damge to some pokemon but not the great host of them that Ice does.

What Rock move is realistically doing enough damage to Zapdos to make a difference? Rock Slide does 36.6% - 43.3% to SubRoost Zapdos, which means Zapdos will almost certainly stall you out, especially considering the 10% miss chance; Stone Edge works out even worse. This assumes Jolly CAP10 with Life Orb, which is pretty much more attack than I can ever see using on a CAP10 designed to counter Zapdos. Ice Beam is virtually required for any CAP10 with any set to actually beat a SubRoost Zapdos, in my opinion.
For Zapdos, there is Rock Slide and Rock Blast (for sub versions) as well as HP(rock) if needed. And since we are talking about tailoring CAP10 to specific threats, who says we can't lower CAP10s speed with a negative nature, become slower than him since most Zapdos's at least run some speed, and when we expect a roost, hit his behind with a SE Earthquake or Earth Power. And depending on the ability you choose, Zapdos can't do much back either. If he wants to PP stall you, with trace, you do the exact same thing back. If he wants to Toxic stall you, with Magic Guard, you won't take damage. And the rare offensive Zapdoses are killed off quite a bit easier.

As I mentioned above, Rock Slide and Rock Blast pretty much never do enough damage to actually kill a well-played SubRoost Zapdos. If you're slower than Zapdos, that actually makes killing it much harder, even assuming CAP10 gets Earthquake.

Edit: Forgot one reply
@Tanz. Surf is far too strong for what we want to use it's water STAB for.
Let's look at it this way.
Tbolt is it's main attack. Tbolt is walled by Dragon, other Electrics, Grass and Ground.
Of these 4, water is needed on ground. However, of the few common grounds in OU, Swampert is hit harder by grass. Gliscor and Flygon are hit harder by ice. Mamoswine is a *****, period. And Hippowdon, the only one we could actually use a strong water STAB for, is a wall. We are not supposed to wall break.

Now, things water are strong to. Fire, Ground and Rock. Ground, I already explained just now. We don't need a strong water STAB, just to go through walling Hippowdon. The only two fire types in OU is either hit way harder by EQ or EP, Heatran and Infernape is so frail, even water gun will sneeze his behind to death (not really, but you get my point). Rock is even more fun. Soo many things eat rock alive, it's not even fun anymore.

So, it's clear we don't need a strong water STAB just to let CAP10 take out a specific threat, which another move would never be able to do. For about anything water is strong against, in the CAP metagame, those pokemon often have weaknesses that are better exploited by something else than their water weakness.

Which brings the question, then why don't you want Surf? Because it brings too much neutral coverage. STAB Surf is a freaking strong attack and can be fired rather carelessly and still hurt a lot of things, even though they are getting hit neutrally. Even Swampert does not like a LO STAB Surf in his face. And that counts for a lot of pokemon. Where the concept is to tailor CAP10 so it's move pool should only be able to hit specific targets, Surf does nothing that we can't do with more efficiently with other moves in the metagame. However, it does add a lot of neutral coverage, and even from a rather low SpA stat, it will make CAP10 capable of taking out much more than it's designed to. And combined with it's primary STAB, TBolt, together, they just take out too many things with just 2 moves.

I hope that made sense, even I had trouble explain myself here.. >.>

tl;dr: Surf has barely any uses on certain threats where non-stab moves aren't better suited for the job. Instead, a lot of strong neutral coverage is added due to a high BP STAB move.

Why should the concept require CAP10 to tailor its movepool so greatly that it will be useless a high percentage of the time? A reasonable STAB move is important for any Pokemon that isn't a dedicated wall to even be usable; for a Pokemon with offensive stats as mediocre as CAP10's, a usable offensive STAB is vital.
Mostly my stance against Ice Beam and Blizzard is based on how much coverage they get. They have a ton of coverage, especially in conjunction with CAP10's STABs. I don't have a problem with Ice moves generally, just those two specifically. Physical Ice moves aren't even in the same category, since they are either too weak or too conditional, and most of the bulky Grass types run Defense EVs and Nature to boot. Icy Wind has quite a niche use against Salamence, especially considering with Trace it can knock Salamence back down to its normal statistical levels if it tries to Outrage, and be finished off the subsequent turn. I'd need to be convinced of Ice Punch either way, but I don't see it being too good or too bad.

Why is getting good coverage a bad thing? That hasn't been the case for any other CAP. Forcing CAP10 to use HP Ice over Ice Beam won't make CAP10 that much different from a versatility standpoint, except that it will force us to include way more coverage moves to make up for locking in Hidden Power to Ice.
When people believe that stripping a Pokemon of one of it's STAB move(s) because of the whole "it would fit the concept" thing (which is starting to sound like a horrible excuse to do anything now), that when I know something wrong is going to happened and/or has happened. People are sticking way too closely towards the concept at hand which can be potentially bad in some cases. Removing moves like Ice Beam or even Surf would result in killing the Pokemon and/or concept from the inside out. That would be horrible and quite frankly make this whole endeavor rather pointless.

Amen. CAP10 won't be countering anything if it's too bad a Pokemon to be usable.

CAP10 with Ice Beam doesn't counter Celebi, Shaymin, and Zapdos hell I don't think CAP10 should be switching into any of them anytime soon. Sure it could potentially 2HKO them on switch-in, but only if you ran a sweeper set which would be counterproductive for our beloved concept. If you ran a defensive set which probably be more common those three are would only be 3-4HKO'd by Ice Beam. BTW Gliscor shouldn't be switching in on CAP10 in the first place unless it's suicidal.

I think you probably could find a set with Ice Beam that can counter Zapdos, though it will likely be a very, very specialized set. I highly doubt you can counter Zapdos without Ice Beam. I agree that you probably can't counter Celebi or Shaymin regardless.

So we're going to strip it of Ice Beam because of Celebi? If Celebi switches in on an Ice Beam/Buzz Bug then it's Celebi fault for switching in on a super effective move. You're saying we should punish the user with CAP10 for predicting the Celebi switch-in and acting appropriately?

The bulkiest Celebi set that could realistically be switching into CAP10 is Tinkerbell; it can't switch into a CAP10 with Overheat but no Ice Beam either. Tinkerbell will take 73.7% - 87.2% from Timid Life Orb Overheat, meaning it is easily 2HKOed. So if we want Celebi to be a counter, CAP10 can't have Ice Beam OR Overheat. So it' s pretty unlikely that Celebi will be a true counter for CAP10 no matter what.

Actually, he used three moveset for those calculations also one could run a Surf/TBolt/HP (Ice)/Bug Buzz set and still hit a large list of Pokemon, though Zapdos, Shaymin and Swampert can check him better. The whole tailoring idea would probably still be a bust because people would still use some kind of Water/Electric/Ice/Filler set to counter things so removing Ice Beam wouldn't solve that problem.

In fact, that set would be arguably more offensively dangerous, since we would need to have a larger movepool to account for the practical loss of Hidden Power utility.
I believe there are three things that put CAP10 apart from the various bolt-beam users, specifically, Starmie.

1: CAP10's stats differ. It has the potential to go physical or special. The ability to do waterfall/ice punch/thunder punch separates CAP10 from Starmie and other bolt-beam users, as well as its other moves. Starmie is also more effective if going for raw power, as CAP10's stats are good enough, but not excellent, for attacking.

2: Starmie's typing and defenses make it especially weak against life-orbed Sucker Punches. CAP10 doesn't have that problem, putting it at an advantage over Starmie.

These two points are a good description of how offensive CAP10 is different from offensive Starmie. The differences offset nicely; CAP10 will not be broken with Ice Beam any more than Starmie is.

3: CAP10's purpose is to be a utility counter. BoltBeam is not necessarily a good counter to everything, nor is it unique, defeating the purpose of CAP10. BoltBeam could be used, but there are so many more special attacks (or physical attacks) that could be used with it, separating it from other bolt-beam users.

This sounds like an argument that Ice Beam will not be used on every CAP10, and I somewhat agree. There will likely be specialized sets that won't need or use Ice Beam. But Ice Beam would be pretty useful to have, and having Hidden Power free to customize would mean we can have a more versatile Pokemon with a smaller offensive movepool.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm with Reach. I don't get the arguments against Ice Beam. I mentioned in the Counters discussion that we NEED Ice Beam if we expect to actually be able to counter Mence and Dnite ; 4/0 Mence does not face an ohko from HP Ice after SR, assuming 80 SATK CAP10 and a neutral SDEF nature on Mence, and BulkyDnite takes a little over 50% meaning it can easily Roost/DD and sweep your team. I see very little reason to exclude a move that is essentially to counter top metagame threats just because it would allow us to deal with grass types easier, who are uncommon or have other easily exploited weaknesses anyway. And regarding Overheat, I think it's a great idea. It will not see much use on LO Sweeper sets due to it being UnSTABd and reducing SATK, but it will be very handy against Metagross and Lucario. I'd also like to bring up something I haven't seen much discussion on: U-Turn. In my opinion, U-Turn is absolutely necessary for CAP10. It discourages the opponent from just repeatedly switching out after slamming CAP10 with a powerful attack because then CAP10 could just U-Turn out and gain large amounts of momentum for its user. This is vital, especially considering that we have decided not to give CAP10 the power or the movepool to get past common defensive pivots by itself.

Okay, i have a very limited knowledge of all this mumbo jumbo with EV's and movesets and crap, but what i see i this thread makes no sense.

CAP10 is a friggin electrical SHRIMP, why would it ever have a move like overheat in its moveset? I can see that people are trying to make it counter these possible threats, but c'mon guys, look at what you're working with here before you throw ridiculous moves out there.

EDIT: Here's all the allowed moves. I'll bold the ones that don't make any sense
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Waterfall
ThunderPunch
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Superpower
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse

Avalanche
Psychic
Earth Power
Payback
Crunch
Vacuum Wave
Thunder
That's JUST in the ALLOWED moves list. There's stuff like low kick in the other lists. It just doesn't make sense.

CAP10 is a friggin electrical SHRIMP, why would it ever have a move like overheat or u-turn in its moveset? I can see that people are trying to make it counter these possible threats, but c'mon guys, look at what you're working with here before you throw ridiculous moves out there.
We have.

For the umpteenth time, flavour has absolutely no bearing on a CAP's competitive movepool/stats/whatever.

Also, why the hell can't a shrimp do a somersault?

For the umpteenth time, flavour has absolutely no bearing on a CAP's competitive movepool/stats/whatever.
But WHY? That makes no sense at all. The whole concept should flow together, otherwise there's no point in even designing the fake in the first place. If those moves were wanted for the original concept of the utility counter, then lord knows a shrimp should not be used. I see it as perfectly logical, though, to adapt to the art, because it was decided on BEFORE the moveset.

If CAP10 is a small shrimp that counters using moves like overheat, superpower, and draco meteor, then it is a failed concept.

hark, I though it was a gigantic shrimp that's 1/4 dragon 1/8 fire and 1/16 fighting.

Makes sense to me.

Anyways, flavor have nothing to do with movepool, and the concept is this
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
I see no mention of giving it realistic moves based on its apperance.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
hark, these Pokemon are competitive metagame experiments, and we can do whatever we want with them. The art doesn't exist to guide the competitive aspect of these Pokemon at all, it exists because Pokemon have art and names, and we want to encourage making the project interesting and creative by allowing flavor into our process separately. This isn't up for debate. Those moves will be allowed or disallowed based on competitive merit in the context of our concept, not by flavor.

On the matter of Aqua Tail and Crabhammer being too powerful for in principle beating Blissey, I have some calculations to prove otherwise.
Code:
24/252 Calm Leftovers Blissey 

vs. 252 Jolly Life Orb Pokemon Crabhammer  : 42.9% - 50.7%
  vs. 252 Jolly Life Orb Pokemon Aqua Tail  : 42.9% - 50.7%

252 Adamant Life Orb Pokemon Aqua Jet  

vs. 24/252 Calm Leftovers Blissey : 21% - 24.8%
  vs. 252/220 Bold Leftovers Celebi : 6.2% - 7.4%
  vs. 252/80 Sassy Leftovers Bronzong : 17.2% - 20.4%
  vs. 252/252 Relaxed Leftovers Swampert : 13.4% - 16.3%
Both fail to 2HKO with 252 EV investment, Life Orb, and max damage rolls against standard Calm WishBliss. (Factoring Leftovers) Blissey is not even threatened for a 2HKO coming in after SR, given that it carries Protect commonly. While I was at it, I tossed in Aqua Jet to show you just how insignificant the damage it deals is. It's just a much more useful option over Vacuum Wave (Aqua Jet gets STAB!). Even in the best case with maximum investment and even a boosting nature, the thing is hardly winning CAP10 any awards in sweeping.

This should clear up any concerns about them being controversial and move them to allowed.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
Edited the OP once again. I urge you to please discuss some of the items in the OP (Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere specifically) before the thread closes, which should happen sometime tomorrow as the discussion is starting to dwindle and we have a good idea of what should be allowed and what should be voted on.

Sucker Punch: I think Sucker Punch is a good choice - it gives us something to use against Gengar or Specskazam. It's a good move in terms of dealing damage, and while it is "overpowered" as some people would say, CAP10 is certainly going to suffer from 4MSS, so giving it more options negates all those chances of Surf/Bolt/Beam/Filler being the optimum moveset for CAP10. If you didn't want Starmie Mk. II, then you shouldn't have voted for Magic Guard. I wanted Poison Heal, as it was "less broken" IMO.

Pursuit: Even more so than Sucker Punch, CAP10 would need Pursuit. Most of the things we counter we'll be forcing switches to avoid the 2HKO, the way I see it, and Pursuit would allow us to hit it as it switches out, stopping it from getting back into the game due to entry hazards killing it off.

Focus Blast/ Aura Sphere: I think we need one of these two to make it so that the option of hitting for SE special Fighting damage is there. However, of the two, Focus Blast is fairer. While it suffers the Power/Accuracy exchange, it's actually the vast PP of Aura Sphere added to it's 100% Accuracy that unsettles me - in a stall-battle, Aura Sphere out-performs most moves.

So that's yes for Focus Blast; Pursuit and Sucker Punch. And no for Aura Sphere.

On the thoughts of replacing Ice Beam for Rock moves... why, exactly? We haven't the best offences in the game, and I wouldn't use CAP10 to sweep. There is no threat of CAP10 sweeping, and if playtesting proves otherwise, then it'll be edited to avoid said problem. Sweeping arguments are ridiculous - the reason we playtest the CAP-mon is to avoid problems, therefore trying to impliment everything to see which is broken and what doesn't work is probably a better plan that trying to restrict everything to avoid the problems of doing something against the concept.

I honestly don't get the competitive merits of Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor on this CAP. What outside of Kingdra is CAP10 hitting with Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse for super effective coverage that Ice Beam isn't taking care of? (If you say that Ice Beam breaks CAP10, your argument immediately becomes invalid because you did not look at reachzero's post.) I am pushing that both Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor be pushed towards Disallowed, simply because they don't offer any coverage that CAP10 can take care of without them at the moment.

i'm alright with sucker punch, as it is in no way overpowered. it is self regulated by inconsistency and low PP, while still packing enough power to be worthwhile.

i mentioned before that i am against pursuit and would prefer punishment. the former does little to those that call your bluff and choose to stay in, while the latter at least will allow this poke to deal with CM users.

aura sphere, no. i can't even think of what this is supposed to be used against. superpower is better for dealing with ttar. it won't (and shouldn't) do anything to bliss or lax. weavile is faster than you, and a light breeze will kill it. the only reason i can see for this is the perfect coverage with shadowball, which isn't allowed.

on a side note, i would like to say that i am very much against charge beam and any other move that allows for CaP10 to up its stats. the recoil-less LO should be enough power.

edit @ shock trooper-you are thinking SE coverage, for neutral coverage dragon moves are much better.

I honestly don't get the competitive merits of Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor on this CAP. What outside of Kingdra is CAP10 hitting with Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse for super effective coverage that Ice Beam isn't taking care of? (If you say that Ice Beam breaks CAP10, your argument immediately becomes invalid because you did not look at reachzero's post.) I am pushing that both Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor be pushed towards Disallowed, simply because they don't offer any coverage that CAP10 can take care of without them at the moment.
...Moves hitting nothing is absolutely no reason for them to be disallowed--don't know where in the world people keep getting this idea from. After all, as I've said before, to be realistic and conform with the Movepool submission rules, we will inevitably give CAP10 far worse stuff like Bubble and Tackle. If it will wind up with extremely useless that stuff in it's actual level-up list, then I don't see why we can't have a TM Dragon Pulse) or Move Tutor move (Draco Meteor) that doesn't have much use. Basically, what you're saying here if you believe that the moves have no real utility on CAP10 is that they're actually non-competitive moves on CAP10, like Tackle and Bubble... meaning that they should just be given a free pass like them as well. Moves should only be disallowed if they're actually broken or in some way directly go against the concept. Being weak or useless though, definitely isn't a valid reason.

Besides, it only hitting one or two Pokemon makes it a perfect move for the concpet. Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor mostly just help CAP10 against Kingdra. Thus, in order to beat Kingdra, it has to give up one of its moveslot pretty much just for it. Now, remember the concept: a Pokemon that has the ability to potentially customize itself to beat any Pokemon, but can only handle a small number of Pokemon at one time. What you're essentially saying is that Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse would be a perfect first for that second part of the concept: it forces CAP10 to give up a moveslot just for one Pokemon, which, while allowing it to beat that one Pokemon, would hinder its ability to face other threats at the same time. Thus, if Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor really are useful only against such a limited part of the metagame, they seem like perfect fits to me.

@ferron: On that note, since I've seen a bit of discussion on it, yes, it's true that Dragon has great neutral coverage just by itself, but without STAB, the neutral coverage offered by Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor really isn't that great. The former's weaker than a neutral STAB surf or Tbolt, or even a neutral Ice Beam. There's practically no reason to use it at all except for hitting stuff like Kingdra. As for Draco Meteor, it's still slightly weaker than a neutral STAB Surf or Tbolt the first turn, and then halves your special attack afterwards. Neutral coverage is great, but Dragon Moves are still only really great if you completely lack good neutral coverage otherwise (CAP10 doesn't), they have STAB, or are being used against a Dragon. Otherwise, a different option would probably be a better choice.

Sucker Punch: I agree with the previous posters that Sucker Punch needs to be allowed. Yes, it covers some great threats like Latias, Gengar, Starmie, Azelf (which is rarely seen outside the lead role anyway) and Rotom, but when you take a look at the damage calcs, you'll see that Sucker Punch needs a Physical spread to be effective, and the physical set is already enoughly jeopardized to "deserve" such a good addition. To those who think that CAP10 could utilize Sucker Punch to do revenge-killing job in general, I urge you to check the damage output (even with physical EV, let alone without), and see by yourself how much SP pales when used against neutral, not-so-frail Pokémon (hint: Jolteon will still take a hit).

Pursuit: The same reasoning from above applies here. When you realize that Pursuit hits a fleeing Pokémon as hard as Sucker Punch, there is little to whine about. Again, you will need the not-as-good physical set to even try to make Pursuit effective, and chances are that, if you are using Pursuit to make CAP10 check Dark-weak Pokémon (the only targets you have any business trying to Pursuit with no STAB and 84 base Atk), you are better off using Tyranitar anyway.

Aura Sphere: Aura Sphere is a good attack, I'll admit it, but the reasonment posters before me made for his disallowing are beyond ridiculous. Aura Sphere winning stall-wars? "I can't even think of what this is supposed to be used against"? I'm not buying this. None of the sets CAP10 could have any business trying to stall with (like SubToxic) would ever use Aura Sphere, since Surf, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam will get the edge almost always. Aura Sphere would probably be used on some Special sweepers sets, and even then, it is much less useful than the aforementioned Surf, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam - even Bug Buzz is superior. The "can't think of" argument is even worse. If you think you would never use Aura Sphere as a move (which is what your argument obviously suggests, especially when you say you would rather use Superpower), then I don't see any harm in it being in the movepool. Palkia knows Aura Sphere, but no one uses it. Does Aura Sphere makes Palkia broken or even any more powerful that it would be without said move? No.

Please, allow Sucker Punch, Pursuit and Aura Sphere. And if you think a move is useless, vote for allowing it! I said it countless times, and Naxte did too: we don't ban things because they are useless (I'm aiming at you, Ferron). If they are useless, we allow them.

Ok, based off of what zarator/Naxte said, I'm ok with Dragon Pulse being allowed. However, I feel that both Draco Meteor and Overheat go against the nature of the CAP because they lower its special attack, leaving it vulnerable to get set up on. We don't want CAP10 to be a Life Orb sweeper, since it is supposed to be able to counter specific threats at specific times, not revenge kill them.

I'm also throwing out support for Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Pursuit, and Sucker Punch. Pursuit and Sucker Punch I support for the same reasons as zarator, Aura Sphere is useless because CAP10 will most likely be using fighting type moves against Tyranitar, Blissey, Snorlax, etc. These all take special hits pretty well, so CAP10 would be more likely to attack them with physical moves, so Aura Sphere wouldn't be even used much. That being said, Aura Sphere's uselessness makes it an ok choice to be allowed.

Dark Pulse is great if CAP10 wants to check Ghosts, and really doesn't hit any of its counters other than Celebi and possibly Cresselia/ Dusknoir hard. I think that we should allow Dark Pulse because of that.

@zarator
think about what i said in a different light;if we are trying to make a poke that can counter various pokes, then why waste time with a move that will do little to help in that regard?
that move will in no way assist us in countering anything, thus making it a waste. i see no point in allowing something that will in no way assist the concept.

I'm getting kind of bored with this discussion, it feels like we're going over a lot of the same stuff again... so I'll just address things that haven't gotten much discussion yet I guess.

@ Zarator: Can you be more specific about Jolteon 'taking a hit', as you rather vaguely put it? Specifically, I want to know if we're talking CAP-10 beats Jolteon using Waterfall / whatever + Sucker Punch for the KO, that is, if it can beat Jolteon without having to use Earthquake.

Also, the point you made about useless moves goes both ways. Yes, we can allow moves that ARE useless, but that doesn't mean we should allow every useless move that comes strolling into CAP-10's path to be in its movepool (necessarily). AKA, what Ferron just said up above me.

Sucker Punch - In my opinion, it's either this or Payback. Both moves address the same threats, just in different ways. Payback goes second and hits harder, Sucker Punch goes first and is more of a revenge-killing move, and as mentioned, gives CAP-10 the possibility (?) of beating things that would normally outspeed it. However, since CAP-10 is really only doing any significant amount of damage with either STAB or SE attacks, so outside of Latias, Gengar, Starmie, Azelf, and to a lesser extent Rotom-A, it's not gonna be doing much good (although feel free to prove me wrong if it can allow CAP-10 to beat things like Jolteon). In my opinion, Payback does the same thing but better. Superfluous with Payback, and therefore not needed IMO.

Dark Pulse - Payback is still better for hitting Latias, and this isn't doing CAP-10 too many favors against Celebi, this would maybe be special CAP-10's best option for hitting Rotom and maybe Dusknoir though. No opinion at this time.

Pursuit - Given that CAP-10 pretty much needs supereffective damage to beat things, I don't see this as being very useful since it's either weak or a revenge-killing move for specific things that are weak to it (and a lot of the things we WANT to address that are weak to Dark are faster than CAP-10, are they not?). Do we WANT CAP-10 to be a revenge killer? Because for some reason I thought that would go against its concept, but I've misinterpreted the concept before, so... I say not needed, but willing to allow just because it doesn't address the same threats that Payback and Sucker Punch do, but I don't see him using it effectively.

Focus Blast - Seems like an inferior option to Superpower or Cross Chop to me. Aren't most things that care about being hit by Fighting hit harder on the physical end? Not needed, as far as I can tell.

Aura Sphere - Same as Focus Blast only more so. Not needed

Cross Chop - I've said it before, but this should be allowed as CAP-10's Fighting attack option. Or, if it isn't....

Superpower / Brick Break - Then these two should be allowed together in Cross Chop's stead, because they provide two kinda-extremeties to Cross Chop's middle ground.

IOW:
Brick Break / Cross Chop / Superpower
OR
Brick Break / Cross Chop / Superpower

Out of curiosity, why are moves like Cross Chop / Superpower, X-Scissor, and Signal Beam, which have been thoroughly discussed already (I thought?) still in the controversial category? I understand Charge Beam and Overheat, but I thought the former attacks would have been allowed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)