Not an old RMT of mine...

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well this is my first ever RMT so bare with me. I've been playing with this team for quite a while now and had some success on wifi, beating several good battlers and a few Serebii admins aswell! I built this team based around a 'mon who I think (and I'm sure many would agree) is ridiculously powerful on wifi due to the lack of the rotom formes. I'm talking of course about... Gyarados! So without further ado here is my team: Rise, Red Dragon!

At a glance:

Lead:

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Jolly
Sand Veil
252Hp 216 Speed 40 Def
U-turn
Earthquake
Roost
Stealth Rock
Gliscor is a great lead to say the least. I nearly always get stealth rock up and the only leads against which I don’t are Aerodactyl and some other poke’s with taunt like Infernape, and opposing max speed Gliscor’s, the first two I KO with stone edge and earthquake respectively, whereas with Gliscor I switch to Starmie as they taunt and ice beam for the KO. I also often try to keep Gliscor healthy for the late game, as he has great synergy with my late-game sweepers; Metagross and Gyarados. The ev’s are so that I always 2HKO lead Metagross, even if they have leftovers (which they never do) and that I can also outspeed some Lucario. I chose hypercutter as his ability because Sand Streamers aren’t really used that much on Wifi because of the risk of ‘acid rain’ and I like using Gliscor offensively.

Synergy:
Water: Gyarados, Starmie
Ice: Starmie, Metagross

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
Natural Cure
136 Hp 156 Def 216 Speed
Recover
Thunderbolt
Surf/Hydro Pump
Rapid Spin
This pokemon is just a great partner with Gliscor, she is effectivelly my sort-of anti-lead. This is because I always send her out against leads Gliscor can’t deal with such as taunt Gliscor, Azelf and sometimes even Aerodactyl and Infernape to kill them with rapid spin (and get rid of the rocks) after Gliscor has left them at 1HP. If all else fails with Metagross and Gyarados, I will use her and Jolteon to finish up the game as they have great synergy. You may note the lack of recover, this is because I have Blissey to pass wishes about and it’s nice to have the extra coverage with ice beam. I am considering changing surf to hydro pump just so that I can kill scizor and tyranitar who try to pursuit me to death (Scizor is OHKO’ed after Stealth Rock and any Tyranitar is 2HKO’ed even without stealth rock). Starmie also helps me get rid of Gyarados’ biggest counters, such as Vaporeon, Suicine, Skarmory and Forretress.

Synergy:
Electric: Gliscor
Grass: Metagross
Dark: No one really, this is a bit of a problem but Metagross can take the physical (as nearly all dark attacks are) hit pretty well.
Ghost: Blissey
Bug: Gyarados, Gliscor

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Moveset: Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Subsitute

Was a charge beam jolteon. Not too sure how to use this guy but I'll give him a try! If someone can tell me how to use this guy it would be really helpful!

Blissey @ Leftovers
Calm
Natural Cure
24 Hp 252 Def 232 Sp.Def
Wish
Protect
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Ok before anyone shouts at me for using Blissey, what is wrong with that! Game Freak gives us an amazing (albeit broken) pokemon and people actually complain??? Ok so enough ranting.This is your standard WishBliss, and she really adds longevity to my team meaning it is that much harder to take town. Seismic toss is there for the consistent 100 damage, pretty simple really. Toxic is great as along with stealth rock means that Gyarados and Metagross have a much easier time when it comes to turning 2HKO’s into OHKO’s.It also means that ghost types (apart from Gengar) who think they can switch in with impunity take some damage at least. Did I mention the ev’s mean even a Choice Specs Timid Lucario’s aura sphere and Choice Specs Timid Gengar’s focus blast will never 2HKO? This pokemon really helps set the stage for my two main sweepers.

Synergy:
Fighting: Gyarados, Starmie, Gliscor

Metagross @ Life Orb
Adamant
Clear Body
112 Hp 252 Atk 12 Def 132 Speed
Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Agiligross is an incredible late game sweeper. After just one agility it can outspeed everything without a choice scarf and even some pokes with one. Meteor mash is a great attacking option, making Metagross even more of a threat if it gets an attack boost. The lack of explosion can be annoying against Blissey but Gyarados can often just set up on her. Thunder punch on the other hand is great at taking out Skarmory who otherwise walls this set to no end (as you can see skarmbliss is too much of a problem). Metagross has excellent synergy with Gyarados covering his rock weakness while Gyaradis takes fire and ground type attacks with ease. The ev’s are so that I can outspeed choice scarf timid max speed Heatran after an agility.

Synergy:
Ground: Gyarados, Gliscor
Fire: Starmie, Gyarados

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk 252 Speed 4 Def
Dragon Dance
Bounce
Stone Edge
Waterfall
And here we have our star player. This pokemon is almost unstoppable on wifi because its No.1 counter is non-existent! After a couple of dragon dances not much can withstand it’s attacks and the Pokémon that can are countered by its team mates. (Skarmory, Forretress, Suicine, Vaporeon by Starmie and Empoleon, Tyranitar, Zapdos and Magnezone by Metagross or Gliscor) I chose bounce over earthquake as it is already on a two of my offensive pokemon (Gliscor and Metagross) and means I can easily OHKO Celebii after a dragon dance. Stone edge is there so that dragons and any flying types that got past Gliscor are easily dealt with.
Synergy:
Electric: Gliscor
Rock: Metagross

Well that’s my team. I hope you’ve enjoyed the format and ideas behind this team. I’m a long time lurker but very new to posting so please constructive criticism only. Thank you!

Hey Skull candy,

You have a pretty nice team nothing pretty much wrong with it.

Gliscor: Looks fine, But how do you know how much EVs are put in into metagross? how about if it has a Shuca berry? You didn't really explain if those were types of options were available. By the way, 92 speed EVs bring you to 273 Speed, also, 94 Speed EVs don't really do much because you're wasting 2 EVs. The other part is that Heatran which has the speed of 279 outspeeds you, which could be one hell of a problem of you getting KO'd way more easily. So my fix to this is pretty easy. Change the EVs to 252 HP / 216 Spd / 40 Def. The other thing is that I don't see much use for Stone Edge so you might want to either switch it into Taunt or U-Turn for things that can't get hit by Earthquake or Taunt if you really are in a mood to stop things setting up really, bad my opinon of what you should change it to due to your team is taunt. Last thing, change Gliscor into Sand veil so you can have a change taking on a sandstorm team and getting lucky since you don't need hyper cutter because you're not going to be sweeping and most leads don't carry intimidate.

Starmie: The EVs you definitly have to change I don't really know why you would put HP EVs to starmie since, you already have Life orb it isn't really gonna do much and just add the suicide rate for your starmie to how easily it can get killed by scarfedtar easily, what you might want to change though is make your starmie a rapid spinner set. So here's the moveset and the EVs you should be using at the bottom it'll have a better rate of surviving since it's bulky and it'll just fit the even more better with your team.

Starmie @ Leftovers
136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
Moveset: Surf, Thunderbolt, Rapid Spin, Recover

Takes easy care of infernape, which could be a bit of a problem, also takes care of gyarados pretty much can take one pursuit from T-tar so I think you'll be fine.

Jolteon: It's ability helps this team a little bit, but overall it's stats aren't helping your team at all since all of your pokes pretty much are bulky sweepers. So what I think can be a way better Sp.attacking sweeper which fits your team perfectly is Jirachi, it will be able to switch out to Gyarados easily, and Gyarados and starmie won't have such a big problem since most Electric attackers are Sp.attackers unless it's Vire, which doesn't even hit that hard, so you'll be able to take most electric types with Blissey, and you already have Gliscor which isn't affected by electric type attacks. The other reason Jirachi will be doing a great amount of good to your team because it resists Ice attacks, Grass attacks, also it has 100 base Defense and Sp.Defense so it'll be able to take a lot of attacks fairly well. Here's the set I think you should be using.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Moveset: Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Subsitute

Sweeps most of the time, sets pretty much explained it can hit anything in the OU metagame, but the only thing that resists its attacks is Swampert, but I think it'll be take care of since you have Blissey and Starmie.

Blissey: I don't really think you have to change anything for this pokemon.

Metagross: Since, I changed Starmie into not being a sweeper I think your team is ok now since you had....4 sweepers, so you don't need to change anything for this.

Gyarados: Lastly you have to change the item into Leftovers because you're not going to able to sweep since, you're going to be in rape if Sandstorm comes in or with SE setup. There's a lot of pokemon who can handle that set easily since you don't have Earthquake, Maybe Forry, Skarmory, Latias, Vaporeon, Suicune. Those are just some pokemon I am thinking in my head that can take any move you have with Life orb. So you might just want to change it into Leftovers because if you don't have too much to give up if you switch out.

Good luck to the team in the future and I think my analysis helped.

Gliscor-as Abutorn said, the current ev spread you have, does not do anything for you, so i also reccomend a 252 HP/ 216 Spd/ 40 Def ev spread.

Starmie-if you still want a sweeper version, then swapping life orb for expert belt, will still give you an extra boost, while not losing 10% for a rapid spin.

Metagross-While i dont see anything wrong with your current set, Explosion could be a possibility over thunder punch, seeing as the main reason it is there is to ko gyara, which is about all it does, it cannot ko suicune or skarmory, so that might ive you something to think about.

hope i helped :]

Okay, your Gliscor needs to run a spread of 206 HP/88 Atk/ 216 Spe. This ensures you outrun base speed 90's as well as 2HKOing lead Metagross without a Shuca Berry. I would also highly recommend Taunt over Roost, as Taunt is really Gliscor's selling point. Taunt is what allows you to beat the slow, bulky leads like Metagross, Bronzong, Hippowdon, and Skarmory.

I can also see a giant DDMence hole in your team. After one Dragon Dance, Mence pretty much OHKO's all of your team except for Gyarados, but you can't OHKO back with an unboosted Stone Edge. In order to remedy this problem, I highly recommend a Scarfed Pokemon, perhaps something like a Scarfed Starmie:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Trick

This Starmie gives you a failsafe against DDMence and DDGyara. 216 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed Base 110's such as Gengar and Latias.

Finally, I don't really think Blissey fits well into this team. You have 5 powerful attackers, and then you have a Blissey. Perhaps consider either a Scarfed or support Latias. Scarfed Latias allows you to tackle the problems mentioned above, and frees up your Starmie to perform you RS duties better, while the support set allows you to pass Wishes and Status, while maintaining Speed and Power.

Hope I helped!

P.S. For reference, I made a DDGyara Team a while back. I'll include a link to it here:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69255

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)