Mirror Match Tournament - Sign Ups

Implement IV Staggering?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for staggering, but I am reconsidering my vote. I think it does take some of the novelty out of this tournament, but at the same time, not IV staggering can put a crucial part of the game up to chance thus semi-defeating the skill aspect in select situations of this tournament. IMO, I think there should not be IV staggering because it does not put the teams on a level playing field, which if I'm not mistaken, is the purpose of this tournament. There is also practicality issues like Hidden Powers that Eric the Espeon mentioned earlier.

In addition, I might not have read correctly, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but the first person that gets to choose a Pokemon's IV to lower gets an advantage. For example, if I put a Scarf Jirachi on my team, and I get first pick at IVs to lower, I might make it so that my Scarf Jirachi can revenge anything on the opponents team, and will not have to risk a speed tie with even the opposing Scarfer. Building on this, if I lowered said Jirachi's Speed IV on my opponents team, and I have a DD Salamence, there is no way he can revenge it while I can revenge his Salamence with my perfect Speed 31 IV Scarfed Jirachi. Just something to think about I guess.

ETE, can we use CAP Pokemon for the teams in this? Since it allows the removal of clauses and so forth, it would be excellent if we could include CAP Pokemon for the way they interact with the game and the other Pokemon.

Staggering IVs

For example, if I put a Scarf Jirachi on my team, and I get first pick at IVs to lower, I might make it so that my Scarf Jirachi can revenge anything on the opponents team, and will not have to risk a speed tie with even the opposing Scarfer. Building on this, if I lowered said Jirachi's Speed IV on my opponents team, and I have a DD Salamence, there is no way he can revenge it while I can revenge his Salamence with my perfect Speed 31 IV Scarfed Jirachi. Just something to think about I guess.
In your scenario, isnt the alternative just that the possibility of revenge killing is decided by speed ties rather than smart team building and IV lowering choices? If your opponent builds a team where everything can be swept by a +1/+1 mence barring a hope that scarfrachi can win a speed tie, especially considering you would get the first pick of which IV to lower, they are just not planning well.

That being said, just thinking about such scenarios in terms of team building has already been more of a headache than I anticipated. I also wonder if staggered IVs wouldn't make team building become more about being able to abuse your slower twin, which really isn't what this tourney is about. More undecided now, and seems like the majority has their vote anyways, but still interested in hearing opinions.

@eric: thanks for putting these in the OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)