Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

@BadPlayer
About sweet scent : the text says that when you use sweet scent, and catch (or defeat ?) the pokemon that appears, then the frame you will be at after battle will be method 1 frame (listed as actual in RNGReporter) +6.
This is useful for advancing to your target frame, if it is high.
Also the part about the bike, as I get it, is that you'd better use sweet scent when on a bike as you know that it will advance the frame by 1, and if you use it without bike you might end up missing your frame because the advance is inconsistent.

But if you are doing something like Sweet Scenting in the wild instead of an event pokemon, is the pokemon you encounter just randomly selected? So do you basically need to do all the RNG stuff, and then hope that you encounter the right pokemon?
No : in RNGReporter, when you have entered a seed and have the list of frames, you can right click on a frame and choose "calculate encounter slots", this will give you a number (between 1 and 12 if I remember well), and also provide you links to encounter tables.
Choose the link corresponding to your version, and search the zone where you want to get your pokemon in the table, if the number is the one needed for your pokemon, then its all good, otherwise you might have to choose another seed because you wont get the right pokemon on that one.
If you use a synchroniser, you often get multiple frames of the same "stats" (for example on frames 3/5/7/11...), you can check each frame and see which one is for your pokemon.

@Mighty Metagross
I am not sure to understand what you mean by "RNG Reporter isn't working for me.", and I might be wrong, but if it doesn't work youd better not get into the rng thing, as you wont be able to do anything without it

@Xileh: First off, thank you for replying! Have a few clarifying questions now, though...

So is that bike-1/pokemon-inconsistent advance before the Sweet Scent? For example, if I am on frame 10 and on a bike and sweet scent, will the frame advance to 11 and be 11 for the pokemon I encounter, and then afterwards be at 17? Does this mean that each Sweet Scent would actually advance the frames by 7 instead of 6? Also, if my target frame is 10, would I instead Sweet Scent on frame 9 if I'm on a bike? Also, what if I'm someplace where I'm not on a bike and don't have a pokemon follow me, like in a building or surfing?

And thanks for telling me about those encounter slots. I don't think I would've ever figured it out otherwise!! Luckily, the first place I checked has my pokemon (Shiny Special Sweeper Staryu xD)

Thanks again!

To be honest, it's still a bit shady for me, but when I try and abuse a wild pokemon, I refer to the table "Method J Pokemon" on this page :
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_part4

I use the "monster frame" as my "starting frame", that means if I want to catch something on frame 11, on grass, I assume I log in the game on frame 2, and therefore have to do 9 frame advancements to get what I want.
(While I think my reasonment is incorrect, the method works)
And I'm always using a bike, except on water like you said, where according to the table the "starting frame" when sweet scenting is 3

Also, sweet scenting does not advance the frame by itself, it's catching or beating the pokemon it brings that advances it, and if you want to know the frame you landed on after a fight, you have to check the "actual" column of rng reporter, and then add 6.
Example : You sweet scent and meet the pokemon on frame 10 (method k), which is listed as 142 (actual) in rng reporter. After the fight, you'll be on frame 148.

If you are on HG or SS like I am, you can run some quick tests on mount silver (the part where there are lvl 48-51 golbats / onix / donphan / golducks) : with or without bike, starting in and out of grass, etc..
It's easy to check your seed here because the pokemon are high enough.

Also if you're on HG and SS, roamers will fuck your calculations off, I didn't understand at first why I would get frame 5 when sweet scenting right after a reset, and on next reset frame 4, or whatever : you'd better faint them when trying to rng abuse

Hmmm... Okay. Well, I definitely understand it better, even if it's not perfect :)

I guess I will go run tests on Mt. Silver (and I just beat Blue :D)

I also fainted my roamers earlier today.

Thanks again for your help!

Mini-guide to RNGing Egg IVs in HG/SS

Introduction

The general belief around here seems to be that RNGing in HG/SS is harder than it is in DPPt. This is probably only due to the existence of well-written guides for DPPt that do not exist for HG/SS. Personally, I find RNGing in HG/SS much easier than RNGing ever was in DPPt.

In simple, not perfectly inaccurate terms, the RNG is like a train going around an enormous track. It will predictably run through the same pattern of numbers no matter what. As long as you know where it started and how far it's gone, you can always predict the next place it will be. Where you started is called your seed. How far it's gone is called your frame. In 4th gen games, this isn't the same frame as in the term "frames per second." This is just how many times the RNG has advanced since it was seeded.

Before you Start

This guide assumes you already know how to find your delay and hit a seed based on a target time and a target delay. If not, go here http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_part2. It's a lengthy process, but you only have to do it once per game and it hasn't changed from game to game. For my HG version, I use a delay of 489 and a seconds of 13.7, which rounds down to 13 (You don't need to know the exact seconds value). I hate waiting a whole minute every time I RNG, so I use a seconds value of 43, giving me 30 seconds from the time I set the clock to when I soft reset my game.

As for in-game requirements, you need to have beaten the Elite Four, and have acquired a Pokemon with Pokerus. This will allow you to use Professor Elm as a method of both checking your seed and advancing your frame. There are also some trainers that you can use without having to fulfill those requirements, but Elm is by far the most reliable way to do it. If you click Professor Elm's name, you can sort the Pokegear to show him at the top of the list of numbers, so you don't have to do any scrolling.

You also want to make sure that the radio is not open to any station. This may accidentally advance the RNG. Just drag the tuner to the center.

To get started, save in front of the old man once you have a suitable egg. The egg's nature, ability, gender, and shininess (assuming you don't trade it) do not change once the old man has an egg for you. So save and hatch the egg to make sure you have the nature, ability, gender, and shininess that you want, then turn off your game.

This is the main screen of RNG Reporter, the all-purpose RNG program. We're going to be using the Breeding (HGSS) function in this guide, so you can ignore everything that isn't in a blue box. This screen takes an initial seed and tells you what numbers will be generated by the game with that seed. But how do we know what initial seed we want? Click the Time Finder function (not Seed Finder. Weird, I know.)

This is the Time Finder function of RNG Reporter. For my example, I'll be searching for flawless 31-all IVs. Put the year, month, seconds value, and delay you'll be using, and make sure you check the HGSS Inheritance box. I like using a target frame of between 4 and 50, but you can pretty much use whatever here. Just keep in mind: a frame lower than 10 can be hard to check, but set your frame too high and you may have to spend a lot of time hitting it.

Hit Generate and hopefully you'll get a list of usable seeds. Here, DC0F01C3 looks promising. All the letters are B, so as long as my second parent in the daycare has perfect IVs in Atk, SpA, and SpD, it doesn't matter what IVs my first parent has, and my end result will still be perfect. The delay is 489, which is just what I needed. Right click the row and click "Copy Seed to Clipboard." Exit the Time Finder for now.

The Date and Time it gives you should be sufficient to get started. You can write those down if you're happy with them, but if you want more options, click the Seed to Time function on the main screen. This allows you to view all time and delay combinations that will allow you to hit your target Seed. It will also show you the Elm responses for all the delays and times near your target, so that you know if you're close. Once you find the date and time values that you want to use, write them down, and get your DS ready to hit your seed. In this example, if I wanted to use 2010 04 30, 15:57:43, I would set my clock to 15:57, start my game, and soft reset at 15:57:30 and begin to mash A.

Now it's time for one last preparation step. Go back to the main screen and paste your target seed into the Seed (Hex) box, and hit Generate. You should get a screen that looks like this:

This screen shows you all the Egg IVs that correspond to the seed that you want to hit. Here, I scrolled down to frame 41 to check to make sure that frame 41 is indeed the 31/B/31/B/B/31 spread that I want.

If you'll notice, each frame has a corresponding "Elm" letter beside it. This is what makes RNGing in HG/SS so easy. Manipulating the RNG in HG/SS does not require happiness taps, coin flips, journal flips, counting steps, and all that nonsense. Calling Elm will advance the RNG exactly one frame. What Elm talks about will be based on the letter beside the frame. As long as you know what seed you started on, calling Elm a few times will always let you know exactly what frame you're on, based on the pattern of things that he talks about. This gives you a much greater level of confidence about where you are than in DPPt. In DPPt, I would always lose count of where I was, and have to start over. Hitting your seed is hard enough without the risk of getting the wrong frame. Calling Elm also lets you check to make sure that you did indeed hit the right seed. On the bottom right is the Elm Responses for the first 10 frames.

When you enter the game, immediately start tapping the Pokegear button on your touch screen. Get to know where it is. Start calling Elm. Based on his responses, you will know whether or not you hit your seed. Be warned: If you were a little slow in entering the Pokegear, you may start on frame 3 instead of frame 1. NPC movement on the route can trigger RNG advances, so you have to be act fast when the Pokegear is not open.

In this example, I would call Elm and expect a response sequence of P, E, K, P, P, P, E, E, P, E. If the initial response is about Kanto instead of Pokerus, I may continue calling to see if the first two were skipped. If I'm getting something that looks completely different, I may go back to the Seed to Time window to see if I was close to my target. This is optional. I usually just turn my game off and try again.

I can continue calling Elm until I get to the sequence E, P, K, K, P for a total of 40 (or 38) times. You can also use Mary and Oak's radio channel to advance 14-18 frames at a time. Just go to the radio, click the top right button, and drag the tuner back to the center. Depending on the time of the day, you may also be able to use Pokemon Search Party or Silver Drama on the bottom right button to advance the RNG one frame (this takes less time than listening to Elm blather). I always make sure I go back to calling Elm once I get close, though. For example, to hit frame 41, I may call Elm until frame 10 to make sure that I hit my seed, then tune to Mary and Oak to skip to frame 24-28, then call Elm a few more times to find my place again. Just make sure you stop one frame before your target frame.

Once you are ready, hit B to exit the Pokegear. You should be now be on the menu screen, with a bar covering a portion of the top screen. Everything will still be paused, so the RNG will not advance. Now, hit B one more time and immediately hit A to talk to the old man (if you started on frame 1, you need to do this REALLY fast, because the NPC is most likely just about to move). Collect your egg. You're done! Check the IVs once it's hatched to make sure you didn't mess up.

I tried my calibrating my HG, and got 35 or 36 seconds... Am I doing something weird here?

EDIT: Oh, I accidentally set my DS to June instead of May, so I had the wrong month entered in the RNG Reporter... That could explain it, I guess ^^'

EDIT2: Okay, the first result I got from my calibration now was 13 seconds with a delay of 492... that seems much more normal :)

EDIT3: I forgot how annoying it is trying to hit your time and delay T_T

^Yeah, just use a different TID/SID combination if you're looking for a non-shiny egg. Change the year to 2000 and search delays from your minimum delay to that number + 100. Subtract your regular delay from the delay you need to hit, and add it to 2000.

For example, say I'm looking for an Impish Pokemon. my regular delay is ~489. I'd put a random month/day combination, year 2000, and TID/SID into the Shiny Egg tab in the Time Finder, and search delays from 489 to 589. I'd see that seed CF000258 gives me and Impish Female with Ability 1 on the first egg. I need a delay of 573, so I'd do 573-489 = 84. I'd change the year to 2084 and do a search again with my normal delay range. Voila, a target time with delay 489. The year doesn't matter, because the year for the egg itself isn't generated until you RNG the IVs.

Of course, if you put your actual TID/SID in, this method works great for finding shiny eggs on Frame 1.

Efemera, you should try and learn how to use pikatimer to hit your delays without changing the years. That will also open a whole new range while searching for shiny eggs and Egg IVs.

Also, nice guide, but you are also making things harder when you teach new guys to depend on calibration and mashing the button to hit their delays, instead of teaching them to use pikatimer.

Efemera, you should try and learn how to use pikatimer to hit your delays without changing the years. That will also open a whole new range while searching for shiny eggs and Egg IVs.

Also, nice guide, but you are also making things harder when you teach new guys to depend on calibration and mashing the button to hit their delays, instead of teaching them to use pikatimer.
I use emloop to hit delays without changing the years, but only for legendaries. I never catch anything I can't breed. Is pikatimer any different than emloop?

My guide wasn't really about how to hit the delay, in any case. I just said mash A because that's how I do it. Mashing A is pretty consistent. I don't even need a computer nearby to do it, so long as I have my cellphone and I figure out what time/frame to use beforehand. And even if you use a timing method, you need to calibrate to figure out how long your game spends in white screen.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

It's great to learn how to target high delays.

BUT -- for someone learning it is yet another thing to learn on top of the loads of other shit you have to learn. Why add more to that at that start?

Additionally, when breeding for IVs on HG/SS, even with marginal parents, I doubt you will ever find a case where you HAVE to hit a high delay to get what you are after. Button mashing is probably appropriate here.

I just added a Noobs guide to Pikatimer on my thread, but it's aimed at Egg IVs and shiny hatching just now. It should still be useful to you, though, Efemera.

Um, I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem to mine, but I'll take the risk for not searching through 832 pages for it. Plus, it's not addressed in the troubleshooting section

I'm going through the steps for shiny hatching, and all was going well until I got to step six, where I have to calculate the number of Pokétch taps. The problem?

It won't let me calculate it. So... yeah, what do?

Um, I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem to mine, but I'll take the risk for not searching through 832 pages for it. Plus, it's not addressed in the troubleshooting section

I'm going through the steps for shiny hatching, and all was going well until I got to step six, where I have to calculate the number of Pokétch taps. The problem?

It won't let me calculate it. So... yeah, what do?
Go to Time Finder and then the Shiny Egg tab. It may be easier to hit a seed than to count to 1000 and mess up the counting. The flips and taps should be on the right end.

Would this probably be the best way to get a high frame? (HG)

1. Confirm correct seed by calling elm
2. Generate results in the main menu of the rng reporter with 1 as my starting frame and my target frame as my max result
3. In radio, go to Pokemon Talk and then bring radio back to center
4. In rng reporter, scroll down 14 frames
5. call elm a few times to see exactly how many frames I skipped
6. repeat steps 3-5 until I approach my target frame
7. call elm until I'm at my target frame
8. exit pokegear. then, without exiting the menu, go into pokemon/bag and use sweet scent/fishing rod

I just want to make sure that this should work, since my frame is 992 and I don't want to try spend a lot of time getting it there incorrectly.

Hi guys, this is my first time RNGing and I have a question which I hope someone can answer.

I have been trying to RNG Dialga in platinum. I am fairly sure my ideal delay is about 602. So I tried to catch a dialga with with a delay of 602 but I never seem to manage to hit my delay, I keep on hitting everything around it like 600 and 604 but not 602. So I tried to catch a Dialga with a delay of 600 but again, I hit delays like 598 and 602 but never 600, is there any way to resolve this, I don't understand what I am doing wrong? I have followed all the steps in the main research spread but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hi guys, this is my first time RNGing and I have a question which I hope someone can answer.

I have been trying to RNG Dialga in platinum. I am fairly sure my ideal delay is about 602. So I tried to catch a dialga with with a delay of 602 but I never seem to manage to hit my delay, I keep on hitting everything around it like 600 and 604 but not 602. So I tried to catch a Dialga with a delay of 600 but again, I hit delays like 598 and 602 but never 600, is there any way to resolve this, I don't understand what I am doing wrong? I have followed all the steps in the main research spread but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

It's just luck, really. Sounds like there's not much you can do but keep trying.

Would this probably be the best way to get a high frame? (HG)

1. Confirm correct seed by calling elm
2. Generate results in the main menu of the rng reporter with 1 as my starting frame and my target frame as my max result
3. In radio, go to Pokemon Talk and then bring radio back to center
4. In rng reporter, scroll down 14 frames
5. call elm a few times to see exactly how many frames I skipped
6. repeat steps 3-5 until I approach my target frame
7. call elm until I'm at my target frame
8. exit pokegear. then, without exiting the menu, go into pokemon/bag and use sweet scent/fishing rod

I just want to make sure that this should work, since my frame is 992 and I don't want to try spend a lot of time getting it there incorrectly.
Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about in my guide. You can do any RNG advancing thing and find your frame again by calling Elm. For something like frame 992, you can even use Pokemon Talk 50 times and use the search Elm responses function to see how far you went. It'll usually advance about 700 frames.

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about in my guide. You can do any RNG advancing thing and find your frame again by calling Elm. For something like frame 992, you can even use Pokemon Talk 50 times and use the search Elm responses function to see how far you went. It'll usually advance about 700 frames.
...Oh, I didn't even notice you could search Elm responses there. Thanks!

Also, just to clarify so I know I understand... An egg's ability, nature, and shininess is determined when the daycare man gets it, and its IV's are determined when you get it?

...Oh, I didn't even notice you could search Elm responses there. Thanks!

Also, just to clarify so I know I understand... An egg's ability, nature, and shininess is determined when the daycare man gets it, and its IV's are determined when you get it?
Yeah, when the egg is generated. Then you can save and go for IVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)