Nuzlocke Challenge

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fire Red Nuzlocke Update #2!

Two updates already? This one takes you from Route 22 to the entrance of Mt. Moon.

Update #1

• If a Pokemon faints, It will be boxed, never to come out of the PC again.
  • Only catch the first wild Pokemon encountered in an area.
  • Battle Style will be "Set".
  • No Items used outside of battle, with the exception of giving a Pokemon an item or to use a TM.
  • Only Pokeballs are to be bought in a mart.
  • I can leave a Gym to Heal only if I've beaten all the minor trainers.
  • Nicknames are compulsory.

• Started at Viridian City.
  • Cruised through Viridian Forest without anyone getting poisoned.
  • Arrived in Pewter City, healed up, & went in the Gym.
  • Beat the minor trainer there with ease & confronted Brock, who didn't seem confident after Texas schooled him with a Charmander...
  • I lead out with Stingers & Brock leads out with a Geodude. I switch in RootOfEvil & proceed to decimate his team with little trouble via Vine Whip. I get the Boulder Badge with ease & a TM.
  • I then proceed through Route 3, after getting a pair of Running Shoes from that bodyguard who doesn't like letting people that don't have a badge past.
  • Joey the Rattata becomes my first casualty, getting killed by a Lv14 Spearow's Fury Attack. Flapper avenges the Rattata's death, Gusting the bird to death.
  • Stingers evolves into a Beedrill!
  • Caught Sparrow the Spearow for my Route 3 Pokemon.
  • Then went into Mt. Moon & caught Rock Pile the Geodude.

Sparrow (Female Spearow) @ Nothing
Lv:6/Bashful/Keen Eye
-Peck
-Growl
Comments: New member on the team, has still got to prove herself worthy of being on the team.

Rock Pile (Female Geodude) @ Nothing
Lv:7/Forgot/Rock Head
-Tackle
-Defence Curl
-Mud sport
Comments: Same as Sparrow, new member on the team, but it would be critical to keep her alive for Lt. Surge.

Stingers (Male Beedrill) @ Nothing
Lv:11/Quiet/Shed Skin
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack
Comments: Now a Beedrill, & quite the force too, the fact that it isn't that strong isn't helping though...

Flapper (Female Pidgey) @ Nothing
Lv:13/Jolly/Keen Eye
-Tackle
-Sand Attack
-Gust
-Quick Attack
Comments: Flapper's doing Okay at the moment, If I can keep her alive until he gets Fly...Otherwise, she's a powerful member on the team.

RootOfEvil (Male Bulbasaur) @ Nothing
Lv:15/Calm/Overgrow
-Tackle
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
Comments: The starter & the undisputed leader of the team, always willing to help his team mates when they're near death. RootOfEvil will be critical to my success in this Nuzlocke. If he dies early, I'm fucked.

None as of yet.

Joey (Female Rattata) @ Nothing
Lv:9/Modest (Bah...)/Run Away
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
Comments: First casualty as expected. No-one on the team really liked her anyway. Caught on Route 22 when I really wanted a Nidoran, Joey was weak, & useless. Weak enough to be killed by a Lv14 Spearow. RIP.

That's all. Next update should cover Mt. Moon, the Nugget Bridge, & Misty. Also, who should I use? Pidgey or Spearow?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey Texas

I'd go for Poliwrath since it hits a fuck ton harder and can pull off the Sub + Focus Punch thing etc etc. Fighting STAB is excellent as well

Update 3: Mourning

Well, I start off by grindin' some to catch Tia up to everyone else. Everything is going good, until a Wingull get's 2 crits on Dwight and sends him to the grave.

Satisfied with my teams levels (Tia Lv. 9/Maxx Lv. 9/Leonidas Lv. 10) I head into the Petalburg Woods, wondering what the RNG has in store for me. (This forest has been the ONLY place I have ever ran into legit shinies [Shroomish, Taillow]) Maybe the RNG God is gonna reward me... (other than my rockin' Adamant Maxx)

I take that first step into the grass... and I run into a Shroomish! Too bad I already have a grass type... but, I figure, if Leonidas falls, then I have a replacement. :3

Anyways, I make my way through Petalburg Woods fairly unscathed. I continue up to Rustboro, battling the trainers along the way. Handling them with ease for the most part. A few crits against Winston almost cost me Maxx, but he came out on top in the end.

Once in Rustboro, I decide to go ahead and face Roxanne. She proved to be an easy foe (Tia swept, cept Nosepass, which Roxanne used 2 potions on) and I recieved the first Badge!

^^ Well, on to retrieve the GOODS from the Aqua Thug, and see what new Pokemon await me as I go.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Phi has been evolved into a Poliwrath, Sigma has been evolved into an Umbreon, Epsilon has been evolved into a Gengar and Delta has been evolved into a Golem. Only team member yet to evolve is Chi the Aipom.

Sad to see you lose to Watson Umbreon... No Swampert, no Loudred pretty much did you in... Guess it's the luck of the draw. Just like my team, having nobody to take out steels is brutal, and I lost three guys before barely winning.

Good luck with your new challenge though!
Thanks!

Part 2: Morning

This may be the most useless training ever.

To break up the monotony, I ventured out to Viridian Forest... and encountered a Kakuna. Level 4. Training it to Level 10 is a task that I will save till a later date. Shelly will sit in the box until then.

We finally reached trainer-fighting levels, and so charged into Viridian Forest, training against real trainers instead.

The dreaded plateau.

And this is why. I beat him easily, though.

My team before Brock. I'm not at all worried.

Rightly so, as it happens.

Finally!

Michael the Squirtle, Bashful, Level 13
Mara the Rattata, Mild, Level 10
Sky the Pidgey, Brave, Level 11

Shelly the Kakuna, Modest, level 4

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well after my mini grind I decided to increase my party size. I added Flamstrike the Magmar to my Roster as well as Chill the Shellder and Star the Staryu. I travelled to Cianwood city where Nightmoth Evolved. Sunbeam followed son after. Chuck was difficult. NightMoth fucked over his Primeape before falling to a critical Body Slam. However Sunbeam cleaned up and I succeeded in getting another badge.

With Chuck done I rocked over to Jasmine and challenged her ass to a battle. Flamstrike took down both Magnemite but I lost Spike who sacrificed himself to put her Steelix to Sleep allowing a crippled Sunbeam to 3KO it with Petal Dance.

With that completed I Surfed off to the Safari Zone to go on a catching Spree. I found a number of pokemon the main picks being a Marrowak (Crush) WITH THICK BONE and Rock Head, Kangaskan (Rediamond) and Azure the Lapras (Water Absorb).

Guys I really need help with my party (again)

Sunbeam and Shadow are def keepers and then I have four slots left to decide between Shellder, Staryu, Lapras, Magmar and Kangaskhan.

HELP!

T e a m

Mudkip (M) Docile - lv 13
- Tackle
- Growl
- Mud-slap
- Water Gun

Taillow (M) Rash - lv 11
- Peck
- Growl
- Focus Energy
- Quick Attack

D e a d z o n e

Wingull (F) Gentle - lv 12
- Growl
- Water Gun
- Supersonic

Made a misclick during the gym battle vs Roxanne which resulted in Wingull staying in instead of switching out, and dying to a Rock Tomb from a confused Nosepass.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ginja, I`d drop Lapras. Despite its coverage it doesn`t fullfill any specific niche on your team as Cloyster and Starmie already handle walling and attacking duties respectively.

I have question for you guys, what is you`re opinion on Safari Zone catches? Personally I just say spam pokeballs against anything not previously caught until something does get caught. What do you guys do.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I have question for you guys, what is you`re opinion on Safari Zone catches? Personally I just say spam pokeballs against anything not previously caught until something does get caught. What do you guys do.
I would probably say you have one shot to catch a random Pokemon, whether it be Chansey or a Ratatta. If you fail & it runs away, tough luck. In the spirit of Nuzlocke...imo.

Texas Cloverleaf

Well that would seem to be the logical conclusion but I`ve seen many, many updates where people have said that they`ve picked up their mandatory six pokemon (or four) from the SAfari Zone so I was just wondering how people went about acquiring their mons. They could say that whatever mon appears first is what they get.

Update 4: The Great Grind

Starting Party:

I head off to Route 116 to see what Pokemon await me, and to chase after Team Aqua. Running into the grass yields me a Taillow (Athena, Lv. 6, Quiet). After this catch, I have to try get her level up to speed, so I grind a bit. I also get Belle the Wurmple out of the PC and get her in on the grindin' fun.

Once my levels are all around even, I chase after the Aqua Grunt (catching Murray the Lv. 7 Timid Whismur in the process), and pummel him with Belle (now a Beautifly) then head on my merry way back to Rustboro. I box Murray so I have a backup just in case, and I start to leave the city, where I run into May.

She and I battle it out, but Athena takes care of her Lotad, and Tia crushes her Torchic. I leave her in my wake, and head to Briney's house.

Briney sails me to Dewford, and there I decide to go ahead and take on the Gym. Brawly can be a handful if you aren't ready for him. Hopefully I can make short work of him.

The gym trainers fell one by one to Athena, and then Brawly was demolished. His Machop got 2 Bulk Ups on, but Wing Attack wore him down. Meditite was OHKO'd, as was Makuhita (CritHax).

Knuckle Badge get!

My next destination is Granite Cave, to locate Steven. As I step into the entrance, I decide that I want an Aron, so in order to increase my chances, I use a Repel to get to the second level.

Well, to my surprise, I encounter a Pokemon I have never used before... Sableye. I catch it (Axel, Lv. 12, Adamant), as I need to increase numbers (Belle has mad it back to the PC) and I figure a Dark/Ghost type will help alot.

Also, Leonidas evolves into a Grovyle!

I continue to make my way through the cave with ease, and find Steven, who gives me Steel Wing. ^^

Well, this seems like a good place to end this update. ^^

Current Team:

Leonidas, Lv. 16

Athena, Lv. 17

Maxx, Lv. 11

Tia, Lv. 15

Axel, Lv. 12

PC:

Belle, Lv. 10

Ellie, Lv. 6

Murray, Lv. 7

Deceased:

Dwight, Lv. 3-6

Well that would seem to be the logical conclusion but I`ve seen many, many updates where people have said that they`ve picked up their mandatory six pokemon (or four) from the SAfari Zone so I was just wondering how people went about acquiring their mons. They could say that whatever mon appears first is what they get.
The Safari Zone is split into multiple areas (in most games, that is), so maybe some people may count different areas as different areas to catch Pokémon in? If more people do this, I'll just use the Safari Zone to get some nice Mons, I guess.

Anyways, I just beat Whitney, but at the cost of my Togepi :( Stupid Miltank landed a crit on me. I guess I can be glad that thing didn't continuously Milk Drink on me. A Tail Whip from my Nidorina and repeated beatings from Scyther and Croconaw took the bitch down, but still, Togepi :(

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While I forgot to write a story for Gary, I beat the fucker. Points if you get Haunter's name.

Dux the Golduck, level 46
Kaz the Venusaur, level 48
App the Dugtrio, level 42
I AM LEVEL 47, HATE CHRISTMAS AND WANT TO STEAL YOUR SOUL.
Harpy the Pidgeot, level 39
Foxy the Jolteon, level 45

Flutter the Metapod, level 7
Flyte the Pidgeotto, level 19
Blip the Zubat, level 14
Revival the Pidgey, level 17

32 boxed mons, most don't stand out except Flora the Gloom, whose usefulness just ran out.

An update on my Emerald Nuzlocke.

I am about to challenge the first gym after much grinding, I'm sure I'll be fine.

My Party:

Kipper the Mudkip Lv 11
Moves:
-tackle
-growl
-mudslap
-water gun

PikaBlue the Maril Lv 7
Moves:
-Tackle
-Growl
-Tail Whip

Wolfgang the Poochyena Lv 6
Moves:
-Tackle
-Howl

Dead:
Pesticide the Wurmple Lv 6
Died to a crit from a Poochyena while training :(

leaf green nuzlocke update

i now have a full party and no one else has died :)

badges: 3
Party: Roxy the blastoise lv 41
Mad Maria the persian lv 28
Geochick the graveler lv 30
Chopman the machop lv 25
Lady deth the sandshrew Lv 19
Dracoman the dratini lv 24

pokeheaven: vineman the bellsprout
not mankey the rattata lv 15

Yotsuba's Emerald Nuzlocke Challenge

Part 1: Bonds

Rules:
  • If a Pokemon faints, it is sent to the PC Box "Heaven"
  • Only can attempt to catch the first wild Pokemon in the area (Route 101 and 103 are exempt until I receive the first Pokeballs)
  • Battle Style will be "Set"
  • Can only use items found
  • Only buy TMs and one Pokeball at each mart
  • I can leave a Gym to Heal only if I've beaten all the minor trainers
  • Nicknames are made up on the spot
So I begin~! Like all the great Professors before him, Birch has a bit of trouble distringuishing between males and females. This would explain why they always use children to do their research, but does not explain why Birch has a child. Anyway, after gettings my room all tidied up, I leave it forever after withdrawing my only Potion. After introducing myself to the neighbors I probably will never see again, I set off to find the Prof.

You would think that after several attacks, Birch would avoid field research like the plague. Nonetheless, the little girl pleads for me to save the masochist. Swiftly, I make a break for his bag to select a Pokemon, but take my time when I get there. The choices are limitless, but I decided to go with the trusty flame chicken. A few scratches later, we find ourselves magically in the lab (which made me wonder why Birch didn't do that from the get-go to avoid his attacker). He gives me my male Torchic as thanks, who I name "Shura". He is Relaxed, so I think we will get along great. Ball-less on several accounts (I chose to be a female since Birch couldn't tell if I was lying anyhow), we make our way towards the wilds.

Setting foot into the grass, Shura pummels a Lv. 2 Wurmple. The next town is a cozy place, but little goes on there. Grabbing my complimentary Potion, I set due North. I am quite prepared to fight my neighbor, the likes of which I was told I must find, but we came across an obstruction in the path: A Lv. 3 Wingull. Laugh if you will, but a Pokemon whose primary attack is Water Gun against your only Pokemon, a Fire-type, is scary as hell. Knowing full-well that it was faster and that escape was a risk on its own, we chose to stay and fight. Water Gun, Water Gun, no Growl in sight. A critical hit would have been enough to seal the deal on my Lv. 6 Shura, but we hang on by two HP and deliver the finishing blow. Now, I am one less Potion, but I would rather be that than friendless.

After what we just faced, our Rival (if you would call him that) seems like nothing. Although they got a critical hit immediately, a Growl and my last Potion was enough to stay out of harm's way.

A quick stop back home was enough to get me Running Shoes, a Pokedex, and five Pokeballs. Not bad at all. Hardly able to contain my excitement, I leap into the grass to find our first friend. It could be a Zigzagoon, or maybe a cool Poochyena, or perhaps a... Lv.3 Wurmple... Yes! It is close enough to a Weedle to be awesome, so with care, it is assimilated into
our team. Welcome aboard, Silky! It is Brave, however; an ominous sign that both Pokemon are lacking in the Speed area.

Although the surprise was great, it was not enough to satisfy my hunger for friends. In hopes of finding another Wingull up North, we instead find a Zigzagoon... Well, Ziggy here probably has Pick Up, so why not? Scratched him once, leaving him with plenty of health. Wasting a Pokeball at this point would be horrible, so I scratch it again. Critical Hit. NOOO ZIGGY!! Route 103 is dead to me. At this point, I learned a painful-yet-valuable lesson: Never get attached to wild Pokemon by nicknaming them before capture. I guess I will just level up a bit...

Spending time on Route 101, or what I like to call "Critical Field" (damn Poochyena nearly annihilating my friends with Critical Hits...), I rose Silky to Lv.5 and Shura to Lv.8. Mostly, I was hoping it was enough to make Shura a little happier, since I heard a happy Pokemon increases the odds of finding a Ralts. So we tempt our luck. A wild Pokemon appears... It was Ralts~! That is, if by "Ralts" you mean "Zigzagoon"... but what is this? Same gender and level as before..? Ziggy has returned! Learning from our mistake, we make the capture at what was the same health as before we killed the last one. Ziggy turns out to be Hardy, which is fine by me. We need some energy on the team.

And so, bringing Silky and Ziggy to Lv.6 and many visits to Mom (but no items from Ziggy) later, we challenge a Youngster. Heh, hardly threatening, although is only Pokemon, Poochyena, is at a plump Lv. 5. Silky and I decided to do what Poison Bug-type's do best: Poison immediately with Poison Sting! 1, 2, 3, 4 Stings later, and I come to the grim realization that poor Silky may not be developed enough to poison, but the true terror lies infront of me. While trying to wear it down, Poochyena managed to get two Howls in. I fear that this may be the end for me, or most certainly, a short life for one of my newly-aquired friends. I may be greedy, but I do not want to lose everything or anything. So I make a risky choice, switching Silky out for Shura. I know Shura is faster, but will it be able to survive enough hits to k.o. the enemy in two moves..? So I leap for faith... Shura comes in and takes the hit... a laughable 5 damage to Shura's 25 HP! As Hardy as a Ziggy at this point, we make the Youngster cry and go on our merry way.

Stay tuned for an exciting and not-as-long-winded addition to the story!

Current Team:

Shura (M) Lv. 8, Relaxed

Silky (F) Lv. 6, Brave

Ziggy (M) Lv. 6, Hardy

Texas Cloverleaf

Quick team update:

Sigma the Umbreon lv 29, Gentle
Payback, Dig, Confuse Ray, Pursuit

Chi the Aipom lv 29, Bashful
U-Turn, Screech, Shadow Claw, Swift

Delta the Golem lv 29, Careful
Rock Blast, Magnitude, Strength, Rock Smash

Epsilon the Gengar lv 29, Docile
Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Confuse Ray, Curse

Phi the Poliwrath lv 30, Careful
Surf, Body Slam, Rain Dance, Substitute

Dead: Alpha the lv 19 Croconaw.

Ive cleared Mahogany bar the gym and now go to take on the lands west of Ecruteak. Any ideas for spot 6? My current plan is to fill it with a Mamoswine or Donphan that knows Ice Shard. Suggestions/comments/ideas?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Fire Red Nuzlocke Update #3!

Texas, I'd go for Mamoswine, so Lance doesn't really stuff you up, but Donphan with Ice Shard does the same thing, but I'd prefer Mamo.

Anyways, Daily update to my Nuzlocke, nothing much happened, but an update nevertheless. The Mt. Moon run through & the Rival battle in Cerulean is in this update

Update #1
Update #2

• If a Pokemon faints, It will be boxed, never to come out of the PC again.
  • Only catch the first wild Pokemon encountered in an area.
  • Battle Style will be "Set".
  • No Items used outside of battle, with the exception of giving a Pokemon an item or to use a TM.
  • Only Pokeballs are to be bought in a mart.
  • I can leave a Gym to Heal only if I've beaten all the minor trainers.
  • Nicknames are compulsory.

• Started at the Mt. Moon entrance.
  • Boxed Flapper in favour of Sparrow, & started grinding Sparrow & Rock Pile until they reached a respectable level.
  • Entered Mt. Moon.
  • Found some Rocket (BAN ME PLEASE) there, they were easy to beat, except for the Ratatta's, who always had to find 1,000 ways to harm my party before they die, thank goodness for Rock Pile...
  • Eventually encountered some Super Fossil Nerd, & beat him without loss, despite a poisoning & me getting paranoid of Sonic Boom, which he never used.
  • Picked up a Dome Fossil, & left Mt. Moon.
  • Found a couple of Karate Guys, one of them taught Mega Punch to Rock Pile.
  • Killed a Spearow on Route 4, & arrived in Cerulean City.
  • Healed up & went towards the Nugget Bridge, when Texas (Cloverleaf) challenged me to a battle. In short, Rock Pile decimated his entire team without any help from items. She also learned Magnitude mid-battle.
  • Currently in Cerulean City at the moment.

Sparrow (Female Spearow) @ Nothing
Lv:13/Bashful/Keen Eye
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer
-Fury Attack
Comments: Has replaced Flapper as recommended, doing a fine job, but like Stingers, appears to be a weak link in the side at the moment.

Stingers (Male Beedrill) @ Nothing
Lv:14/Quiet/Shed Skin
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack
Comments: Now a Beedrill, & quite the force too, the fact that it isn't that strong isn't helping though...A weak link in the side like Sparrow, but Fury Attack is doing well for me at the moment.

Rock Pile (Female Geodude) @ Nothing
Lv:17/Rash/Rock Head
-Mega Punch
-Defence Curl
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw
Comments: Rock Pile, like RootOfEvil, is a very powerful member & is critical to my success in this Nuzlocke. Did a great job to decimate Texas in Cerulean.

RootOfEvil (Male Ivysaur) @ Nothing
Lv:17/Calm/Overgrow
-Tackle
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
Comments: The starter & the undisputed leader of the team, always willing to help his team mates when they're near death. RootOfEvil will be critical to my success in this Nuzlocke. If he dies early, I'm fucked.

Flapper (Female Pidgey) @ Nothing
Lv:13/Jolly/Keen Eye
-Tackle
-Sand Attack
-Gust
-Quick Attack
Comments: Flapper has been boxed in favour of Sparrow, is a back up in case Sparrow bites the dust.

Joey (Female Rattata) @ Nothing
Lv:9/Modest (Bah...)/Run Away
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
Comments: First casualty as expected. No-one on the team really liked her anyway. Caught on Route 22 when I really wanted a Nidoran, Joey was weak, & useless. Weak enough to be killed by a Lv14 Spearow. RIP.

That's today's update. Three questions: 1. Any good Pokemon to use that appear on Route 24? 2. Fossilmons: Are they worth using in a Nuzlocke? And 3. Which is better to use? Geodude or Diglett?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)