Nuzlocke Challenge

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wasn't really planning on using Stantler for long; I just got it, so I though I'd try something with that. I guess I'll drop that for a future Umbreon then. Too bad it has to be max happiness and all that jazz :/ Time to walk around a lot lol.
Make sure you grab that Soothe Bell from the National Park and throw it on Eevee to cut down on the time it takes to reach 220 happiness. It actually isn't as bad as you think, you should be able to get it to evolve by level 20 give or take a few. Make sure Eevee participates in major battles (Gym Leaders, Rival) as well as feeding it soft drinks instead of potions. Of course do your typical vitamins, but make sure you don't give it useless ones like Proteins because they waste EVs.

Round 2 Update

Watson has been vanquished!

Sure, there's that lingering thought in my head that if I really wanted a challenge of doing things properly, I'd have stuck it out with Treecko, however for (very loose) story reasons, Mudkip seemed logical for the second go round, and already the decision has made the game a million times easier. Marshtomp three shotted Watson, leaving my team happy and healthy.

So far the RNG has been very, very kind. I've got all the core ingredients so far (although my Mightyena is a forced choice), with several new routes opening up meaning I can supplement my current party if I want.

Next up will be training for Maxi, who will surely be a bigger test.

Current Roster

Kipula LV25

Yunti LV21

Jarrila LV24

Ilkka LV23

PC Pokemon

Laurie LV10

Leonard LV7

Toni II LV13

Mylli LV13

Cemetary

Round 1 Pokemon previously mentioned
NONE for Round 2

Texas, I'm curious as to what move you plan on replacing with Faint Attack. I'm guessing Pursuit since in-game Trainers never switch, but since Payback is virtually always 100 base power on a Pokemon as slow as Umbreon it seems kinda redundant to have Faint Attack as well. Then again Umbreon doesn't learn much else either *shrug*

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with Flamestrike here. Don't laugh but I would rather give Umbreon Screech (increases damage they take from confusion) or Toxic (wears down bulky shit. Still I guess its up to you

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I`m finding that in-game, Umbreon is actually outspeeding almost everything she faces. It isn`t so much the power as the PP. Obviously, Umbreon isn`t the hardest hitting pokemon in-game so the second stab tends to be helpful. Also, correct me if I`m wrong, but isn`t Toxic post E4?

Protip: SpecsGar is the perfect counter to the king of Explosions, Petrel in the Radio Tower. Immune to Explosion, resists opposing stab, cant be poisoned etc.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick note, the plan continues accordingly having just caught Beast the Swinub. Will proceed to grind him to 33 and then tutor him Ancientpower. Umbreon also learned Faint Attack as my team sits at around level 37 before Ice Path and Clair.

More Poliwrath ranting: Poli is pretty much the ultimate GLMP counter. Sub/Body Slam for Chuck, Surf for Jas, Fight move for Pryce, and Sub/Whatever for Claire since he is immune to water moves.

Texas Cloverleaf

Poliwrath just completely raped Claire. Sub ftw. Beast is at level 29 and is nearly a Mamoswine.

Need some opinions. How should I give Choice Scarf to, Mamoswine or Golem?

What item should I give Ambipom, Muscle Band or Silk Scraf?

First Nuzlocke Challenge: Pokemon Blue

Hey guys as the title says this is my first Nuzlocke and I decided to do Blue since I haven't played the game in awhile. I've always thought that Nuzlocke was cool and I decided to throw in a few of my own rules to help spice it up. So without further ado lets set the rules:

Rules:
  • If a Pokemon faints, It will be boxed, never to come out of the PC again.
  • Only catch the first wild Pokemon encountered in an area duplicates excluded.
  • Legendary Pokemon will not be used.
  • No Trading(Machop, Abra, Gastly and Geodude are out)
  • Any in game trades count for that area's Pokemon. Also the gaming corner may be used to obtain one pokemon but Eevee can not be obtained if so.
  • Caves, Dungeons and the Safari Zone with multiple floors/areas may have one Pokemon caught per floor/area. If a fossil Pokemon is used, no Pokemon may be caught for Mt Moon level 3.
  • No items but Pokeballs,TMs and Evolutions stones can be bought at Marts.The only exclusion is the drinks used to pass guard and get TM's from thirsty girl.
  • Additionally only 2 of each type Pokeball per mart(2 Great, 2 Ultra and 2 Regular).
  • Any item found on the ground or given by a trainer may be used at any time.
  • May leave a gym at any time, but each Pokecenter is restricted to 3 heals per town.
  • Mom may be used to heal an unlimited amount of times.
  • Nicknames are mandatory.

So I boot up the game and set out on my journey with the familiar opening screen from my childhood. I decided that while I wanted this to be a difficult first Nuzlocke, that I would ease some of the pain by choosing the easiest game starter for Gen I and so I chose:

Frogger:
Level 5

After a uneventful battle with my rival(Ash), I headed out to get Oak's Parcel, leveling up to 7 before returning to Pallet. After receiving the Pokedex and Town Map, I decided that I would try my luck at getting a Pidgey for my second party member and so I purchased my two Pokeballs and headed to Route 1. Of course as my luck would have it I would run into a Ratatta. So joined my second member of my team:

Rattigan:
Level 3

After some grinding I caught Rattigan up to Frogger at level 7 and decided that rather that go face my rival right away that I decided to go to Route 2 where I knew that there were more Pidgeys. After looking at the map of what Route 2 covered I decided that the trade Mr. Mime was not something I was interested in and plunged into the grass. And this time I got lucky:

PidgeonPoo:
Level 4

Yea! Luckily it was at level 4 which meant less grinding to catch it up to Frogger and Rattigan, but before I started that I decided I'd head to Route 22 to see if I could get a Nidoran to help Frogger with Brock. Although I didn't get my first choice I was happy to add Drillbit the Spearow as my fourth member on my team:

DrillBit:
Level 5

After some grinding I raised everyone to level 8 and decided that with 4 members I was ready for my second rival fight. Unfortunately I had forgotten how high Ash's Pidgey was and would pay for it dearly in the end.

Rival Battle #2
I led with Frogger to set up the Leech Seed and Growl his Pidgey. I was able to get off the seed and 2 growls before being utterly blinded, I decided to switch to Rattigan. I switch in only to be crit by a Gust leaving me with around 9 HP, nothing to worry about I figure with 2 growls and the seed replenishing my life. I proceed to Quick Attack doing about a quarter/third of his health when the second crit strikes. All of a sudden I had lost my first member of my team. Distraught at how unprepared I seemed to be I sent in my own Pidgey to try the Sand Attack stall, fortunately it worked. After just two Sand Attack my Pidgey was able to bring his down with half hp lost. I breathed a sigh of relief for at this point I figured I had wrapped up the battle. What followed was almost the end of my first Nuzlocke run. Switching back to Frogger to set up the seed I got knocked down to 5 hp after a crit scratch. Not wanting to lose him so early I decided DrillBit would have to come in and growl him for PidgeonPoo/Frogger to finish him off. After a few growls Drillbit was down to about 4 HP I decided that it was now time to bring in PidgeonPoo. Well wouldn't you know it I come in only to take a crit and be dropped to 5 hp. At this point I was considering just sacrificing both Pidgeon and Drill in the hope that Frogger could muscle it out, but I decided to go with Sand Attack. 6 Turns later I had successfully blinded, murdered and not lost any member of my team.

After the battle I realized that I had picked up the potion from my PC and under the rules I set could of used it, but the past is past lol. After using one of my 3 heals for Viridian City and a little more grinding everyone is now level 9 and I feel we are ready to go through the Viridian forest on the next update :)

Current Party:

Frogger:
Level 9
Tackle
Leech Seed
Growl

PidgeonPoo:
Level 9
Gust
SandAttack

DrillBit:
Level 9
Peck
Growl
Leer

Died on the Adventure:

Rattigan:
Level 8
Tackle
Tailwhip
Quick Attack

I am currently embarking on a new quest. Me and Fever (cindaquil) will report back with any humorous and outrageous stories we encounter across the kanto/johto regions if we make it that far.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
@Zoap: I like your updates, your battles are similar to my Scramble Updates, but with the thought process in it. It would help to have text on a new line after a KO so it doesn't have the wall of text syndrome, but that's my opinion. Keep up the good work.

Blue Nuzlocke Episode Too Ironic

Hey guys, I'm here with part two of my first Nuzlocke challenge. I was so glad to hear you guys loved my format and it made me even more anxious to play today.

Now if you haven't read part one of this journey then go read it here before you even delve in:

The Journey Begins Part 1

Started the Update with:

Frogger:
Level 9
Tackle
Leech Seed
Growl

PidgeonPoo:
Level 9
Gust
SandAttack

DrillBit:
Level 9
Peck
Growl
Leer

Viridian Forest:

Alright guys we left off at the conclusion of the epic second battle between me and my rival Ash. After enjoying the Coffee man's demonstration(I always loved this as a kid), I head to Viridian Forest. The forest is full of goodies to be picked up and used for a later time, so I busy myself with that for the first few minutes.

Remembering that I hate bug Pokemon and how tedious it normally is to level them, I decide that unless I happen on the rare Pikachu that I will just be using these bugs to get Frogger/Pidgeon/DrillBit to 12. Well of course the first thing I see is a Cateripie. DrillBit deposes of it fairly easily and I decided that its time to decimate anything that wriggles.

After beating the first two Bug Catchers using only DrillBit and getting poisoned twice, I figure I'd better use Frogger to fight the last one before leaving the forest. As fate tends to be cruel, along the way to this last trainer not only did I encounter a Pikachu, but two of them. I reach the last battle, which turned out to be quite uneventful, although it leveled Frogger to 10. At this point I began to worry that Brock would not be as much of a breeze as I thought.

I exit the forest depleted of potions and antidotes(Damn Weedles). At this point I considered doing a bit of grinding as being at level 9 with Pidgeon, Level 10 with Frogger and 11 with DrillBit, Brock would cause quite a huge problem. Then for some odd reason I started to think that Bulbasaur gets Vine Whip at 11. Excited I was certain that his pre-trainer would easily get me to 11 and with Vine Whip I could breeze through the rock gym.

Pewter City Gym:

I enter the familiar gray city and proceed to use one of my heals for the city. After much deliberation on who would lead I chose Pidgeon as he could blind Sandshrew and Diglet while lowering their attack at the same time. The young lad starts speaking of light years and how I am unprepared, I chuckle and proceed with the battle. Upon seeing that his Diglet is level 11 confused me as I remember it being lower(Yellow). I shrug it off and decide that blinding him is #1 priority as even if I must switch both Drillbit and Frogger have Growl.

The first two turns go as planned with him outspeeding me and hitting me the first turn but missing the second. On the third turn I select Growl and proceed to get hit by another crit...I watch as my life dwindles, seeming like it would never stop, it does at 2. I breath a sigh of relief but then it occurs to me the reason why crits suck in Gen I, there based on speed. This means that all of Pokemon of equal level are at any time in danger of that crit. So thinking it over for a while I switched in DrillBit, I figure with leer and growl he can potentially 2HKO.

DrillBit goes in and handles business as planned thanks to 3 missed scratches. Pidgeon gains a level and a little of the lost Hp, but there still remains a Sandshrew to deal with. I decide to keep DrillBit in and get off a few growls before going to Frogger for the seed stall. A long time later(15-20 turns) the Sandshrew faints, Frogger gains a level and DrillBit is almost level 12.

There is just one problem, I didn't get Vine Whip. I decide to look it up and find out it isn't until level 13. At this point I really don't feel like grinding, and I figure that there is probably nothing that Geodude or Onix can do to me after a few growls.

Geodude goes down without a problem, his life slowly leeched away as his tackles did 1 damage each time. Onix falls like Geodude before him, with even less problems as it just tries to Bide Frogger to death while his life slowly dwindles away. I was honestly surprised at how little trouble Onix gave me as I remember it being a problem when I was a kid.

In the end Frogger ended up leveling to 13 and getting Vine Whip(ironic huh). Unfortunately I had to use my second heal for Pewter City, I didn't get a new member for my team and PidgeonPoo is still lagging behind at 10. But luckily DrillBit and Frogger have come out to be the leaders and should prove to have enough power for the next update.

Alright that wraps up Update #2, again sorry for the walls of text but I feel it more compelling this way. Next time Route 3 and Mt Moon!

Current Party:

Frogger:
Level 13
Tackle
Leech Seed
Growl
Vine Whip

PidgeonPoo:
Level 10
Gust
SandAttack

DrillBit:
Level 12
Peck
Growl
Leer

Died on the Adventure:

Rattigan:
Level 8
Tackle
Tailwhip
Quick Attack

Moving on from my deleted FireRed Save File, I am going to complete the Nuzlocke Challenge on Soul Silver. I have to trade over pokemon, but then I will start ASAP.

Hehe, currently undertaking an Emerald nuzlocke. Rules are explained in the crappy (I made it on my DS and put it together on paint using GIMP for crappy overused effects) comic.

You may need to zoom in a little.

Chapter One:

Chapter Two:

Juukka's Ruby Nuzlocke Round 2

Fifth Gym Update

Since my last update a few short days ago, a lot has changed with my team. The first three gyms were not a problem, and with my far superior roster compared to Round 1, Maxie and Flannery were also little trouble (although Flannery's Torkoal is a bitch to take down with Male Pokemon).

On my way to the Meteor Event after Fallarbour town, I was elated to pick up (not via Zigzagoon, since I don't allow it) a Revive, meaning my first fallen comrade could be saved if I wanted.

My team grew very little overall after four Gyms, however I sent Yunti the Mightyena to the PC in exchange for Gonnoly the Trapinch, hoping longterm to reap the rewards.

However while grinding with my Trapinch, I got a little cute and he killed himself in confusion. So there went my revive...

I got everyone except Gonnoly up to Level 30 to take on Norman. I was hoping Ilkka the Hariyama would solo Norman for me, but I again underestimated my in game father.

Somehow in the seven years between Ruby playthroughs, I forgot just how difficult Norman is even with supereffective Pokemon.

So Ilkka went into battle, ready to spread pain. It was then I realized Norman had two Slakings instead of the one I remember him carrying.

I quietly said my prayers and prayed for good luck as the battle began.

I used Fake Out to burn Slaking's first attack, then used Vital Throw and in a few short turns eliminated foe #1.

Norman sent in Vigoroth, which I knew my Hariyama could handle. It got a slash in before Vital Throw OHKOd it.

Then came out Norman's third Slaking, and the pain began...

For some stupid reason, I decided not to attack, and that's when Slaking fired up a Focus Punch, sending Ilkka the Hariyama to his grave, the first of my team to permanently die.

It was a heart breaking moment, and one of pure panic and defeat. I honestly thought I was done for. Could anyone else take a hit?

In the heat of the moment I sent Gonnolly the Trapinch, hoping to stall or do some kind of damage. He got in a Return before a Facade sent my little killer to his grave way too soon.

Luckily I had packed my HM Slave, Laurie the Zigzagoon, and sent her into battle. Slaking still had half health, so her job was to Tail Whip it down. It got two in before a Focus Punch made her the third casualty. While she'll remain inactive and fainted for the rest of my journey (and unable to battle since she's unofficially dead), she'll stay on as my HM slave, since I won't be starting over because of some stupid HM problem...

So out went Jarrila the Swellow to try and take on the -2 DEF Slaking. My heart raced, how could a father live with seeing his son's Pokemon die? I could only hope that Jarrila had what it took to take down the behemoth.

Luckily the first turn was a Truant turn, so Jarrila quickly Wing Attacked it, knocking Slaking into KO range. I breathed a sigh of relief as Slaking charged up another Focus Punch as Jarrila swooped in and finished him off.

I lost three Pokemon that fight, but when the smoke cleared, I had defeated my father Norman, and with it earned my fifth badge. Having already seen my team defeated once in Round 1, I was ready for the inevitable loss in friends at some point this Round, but losing Ilkka, such a key defensive Pokemon, really hurt. Also, Gonnolly as a Flygon would have been huge.

Before I left Petalburg, I got Kipula the Marshtomp Surf, and skirted across the small pond in town to pick up the MAX REVIVE!!! While it wouldn't be able to save one of Ilkka, Gonnolly, or Laurie from death since I got it after they died, it does mean that my next Pokemon can be saved should I choose to.

Yunti rejoined the Party, and after a difficult decision, decided to add Oinky the Spoink to my party over Cloud the Swablu and Nullie the Numel.

Grinding is foremost in my future, but after that I'll be heading north in search of Badge #6.

CURRENT ROSTER

Oinky LV23

Kipula LV32

Yunti LV27

Jarrila LV31

PC Pokemon

Leonard LV7

Notskarm LV15

Toni II LV13

Mylli LV 13

Nullie LV14

Cloud LV17

Wynar LV5

Cemetary

All my Round 1 Pokemon :(

Ilkka LV 31 - Fell to Norman's Slaking

Gonnoly LV26 - Fell to Norman's Slaking

Laurie LV10 - Sacrificed to Norman's Slaking to heroically save me.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Victory Road is tearing my normally hardy team to shreds and I... Let me explain.

I got into a fight with a Black Belt, with App up first. I was worried at first, but he easily defeated a Machoke. Then a Machop came out... Magnitude 6 couldn't kill it.

App the male Dugtrio
-Adamant nature
--Aerial Ace
--Magnitude
--Rock Slide
--Cut

Rest in peace App, you will be missed.

Looking ahead, Loreli's lowest level is 51. Mine is 40.

Ugh. I must continue...

@Jukka; You really don't need to keep Laurie as an HM slave. Cut isn't required to complete the game, and the rest of your pokemon learn all of Laurie's remaining HM moves.

Finally manning up with my own Nuzlocke run of Emerald. I'm kinda turning the whole thing into a 'project', because there's a bunch of intersecting things I'm trying to achieve with it -- I've always wanted to teach myself how to draw better, I want to learn some basic Photoshop, and obviously I've wanted to Nuzlocke a Pokemon game since I read this thread :P

So if any artists end up pooting through this thread, I'd love pointers. Drawing is a skill I always wish I had but never put forth a ton of effort into learning... hopefully though, doing a Nuzlocke comic will be all the motivation I need to start improving. Anyway... Jack's Emerald Nuzlocke:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6006/nuzlockeep1p1.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4075/nuzlockeep1p2.jpg

I know the panel layout is fucking obnoxious but I'm trying here D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)