Snorlax (RBY Update)

gettin this guy done too, big man needs an update

(because we all wish we could have a party of 6 of these guys)

http://www.smogon.com/rb/pokemon/snorlax

[Overview]
<p>Snorlax had humble beginnings back in the first generation. It was the heaviest Pokemon, and one of the most used. Capable of breaking open an opposing team, it was a major threat in the standard RBY metagame. Its major drawback was obviously its low Speed, but its huge HP and respectable Attack stats made up for that. Snorlax was also host to the most powerful attack in the RBY metagame, STAB Selfdestruct.</p>

[SET]
name: Fishlax
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Earthquake / Surf
move 3: Hyper Beam
move 4: Selfdestruct

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The standard Snorlax set of the era, capable of covering just about everything it needs to be staying in on. Body Slam has a good chance to paralyze the opponent, giving Snorlax a Speed advantage. Earthquake is a good option against Gengar, while Surf is an option for Golem and Rhydon. Hyper Beam is a great finishing move, but be careful how you throw it around, as a poorly-timed Hyper Beam could leave Snorlax in a bad position. Selfdestruct is Snorlax's last stand move, and the most powerful move in RBY; just be careful about Rock-type or Gengar switch-ins.</p>

[SET]
name: AmnesiaLax
move 1: Amnesia
move 2: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 3: Thunderbolt / Body Slam
move 4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amnesia Snorlax aims to take advantage of Snorlax's high tanking capabilities and relatively large movepool. Use Amnesia once or twice to boost Snorlax's Special, and then proceed to sweep, using Rest when low on HP. Ice Beam and Blizzard are Snorlax's main attacks and best chances to freeze the opponent. Thunderbolt takes on Cloyster, while Body Slam gives Snorlax a fighting chance against Chansey. Both of these options are good solutions to Starmie. This set is a great late-game sweeper if it can survive the set-up.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Depending on the move you pick on the Fishlax set, something that can take out whatever Pokemon the other move is meant to cover works well as a teammate for Snorlax. Anything that can spread paralysis, such as Exeggutor or Alakazam, works well with Snorlax, making setting up or sweeping easier.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Due to the extremely shallow movepool distribution in RBY, Snorlax doesn't have many other viable options to work with. Counter can be used to suprise Tauros and others. Reflect can be used against other Snorlax if it fancies you; it also works well with Rest. Fire Blast isn't a bad option either if you are having Jynx, Lapras, or Cloyster problems.</p>

[Counters]

<p>An Earthquake-less Snorlax is handled pretty well by Gengar. Cloyster's high Defense lets it fare pretty well, as long as Snorlax doesn't have Thunderbolt. Rhydon and Golem also do well; however, beware of Surf if using either of them as your counter, as it 2HKOes both. Snorlax needs to be careful when it gets low on HP, as Alakazam's Psychic will KO at around 33%, as will a critical hit Slash from Persian. Lastly, make sure you are careful with Snorlax when using Selfdestruct so a Gengar cannot block it.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 1/2

note that i know nothing about generation 1, so the content could be completely off for all i know (though i doubt it, alan's a smart guy!)

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[Overview]
<p>Snorlax had humble beginnings back in the first generation. It is the heaviest Pokemon, and one of the most used. Capable of creating huge chunks in teams when played right, it was a major threat in the standard RBY metagame. Its major drawback was obviously its low Speed, but its huge HP and respectable Attack stats made up for that.</p>

[SET]
move1: Body Slam
move2: Earthquake / Surf
move3: Hyper Beam
move4: Selfdestruct

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The standard Snorlax set of the era, capable of covering just about everything it needs to be staying in on. Body Slam has a good chance to paralyze the opponent, giving Snorlax a Speed advantage. Earthquake is a good option against Gengar, while Surf is an option for Golem and Rhydon. Hyper Beam is a great finishing move, but be careful how you throw it around, as a poorly-timed Hyper Beam could leave Snorlax in a bad position. Selfdestruct is Snorlax's last stand move, and the most powerful move in RBY; just be careful about Rock-type or Gengar switch-ins.</p>

[SET]
name: Amnesialax
move1: Amnesia
move2: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move3: Thunderbolt / Body Slam
move4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Amnesia Snorlax aims to take advantage of Snorlax's high tanking capabilities and relatively large movepool. Amnesia once or twice to boost Snorlax's Special, and then proceed to sweep, using Rest when low on HP. Ice Beam and Blizzard are Snorlax's main attacks and best chances to freeze. Thunderbolt takes on Cloyster, while Body Slam gives Snorlax a fighting chance against Chansey. Both of these options are good solutions to Starmie. This set is a great late-game sweeper if it can survive the set-up.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Depending on the move you pick on the Fishlax set, something that can take out whatever Pokemon the other move is meant to cover works well as a teammate for Snorlax. Anything that can spread paralysis, such as Exeggutor or Alakazam, works well with Snorlax, making setting up or sweeping easier.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Due to the extremely shallow movepool distribution in RBY, Snorlax doesn't have many other viable options to work with. Counter can be used to suprise Tauros and others. Reflect can be used against other Snorlax if it fancies you; it also works well with Rest. Fire Blast isn't a bad option either if you are having Jynx, Lapras, or Cloyster problems.</p>

[Counters]
<p>An Earthquake-less Snorlax is handled pretty well by Gengar. Cloyster's high Defense lets it fare pretty well as long as Snorlax doesn't have Thunderbolt. Rhydon and Golem also do well; however, beware of Surf if using either of them as your counter, as it 2HKOes. Snorlax needs to be careful when it gets low on HP, as Alakazam's Psychic will KO at around 33%, as will a critical hit Slash from Persian. Lastly, make sure you are careful with Snorlax when using Selfdestruct so a Gengar cannot block it.
good job noobhead ^_^ do old generation analyses even need GP checks? i'm assuming that they do, so:

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Capable of creating huge chunks in teams when played right, it was a major threat in the standard RBY metagame.
Urm.. just wondering but according to the dictionary, chunk means "A substantial amount". So how does Snorlax "create" chunks in teams. Shouldn't it be more like "take huge chunks out of teams"? Correct me if I'm wrong though..

lol it probably should i write these things really fast and dont really pay attention to detail good catch, thanks :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I like big butts and I cannot lie
Your other brothers can't deny
When a girl walks in with a itty-bitty waist
And a round thing in your face, you get sprung!

add
remove
comments

[Overview]
<p>Snorlax had humble beginnings back in the first generation. It is was the heaviest Pokemon, and one of the most used. Capable of breaking open an opposing team, it is was a major threat in the standard RBY metagame. Its major drawback was obviously its low Speed, but its huge HP and respectable Attack stats made up for that. Snorlax was also host to the most powerful attack in the RBY metagame, STAB Selfdestruct.</p>

[SET]
move (space) 1: Body Slam
move (space) 2: Earthquake / Surf
move (space) 3: Hyper Beam
move (space) 4: Selfdestruct

[SET COMMENTS]

[SET]
name: AmnesialLax
move (space) 1: Amnesia
move (space) 2: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move (space) 3: Thunderbolt / Body Slam
move (space) 4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amnesia Snorlax aims to take advantage of Snorlax's high tanking capabilities and relatively large movepool. Use Amnesia once or twice to boost Snorlax's Special, and then proceed to sweep, using Rest when low on HP. Ice Beam and Blizzard are Snorlax's main attacks and best chances to freeze the opponent. Thunderbolt takes on Cloyster, while Body Slam gives Snorlax a fighting chance against Chansey. Both of these options are good solutions to Starmie. This set is a great late-game sweeper if it can survive the set-up.</p>

[Team Options]

[Optional Changes]

[Counters]

<p>An Earthquake-less Snorlax is handled pretty well by Gengar. Cloyster's high Defense lets it fare pretty well, (comma) as long as Snorlax doesn't have Thunderbolt. Rhydon and Golem also do well; however, beware of Surf if using either of them as your counter, as it 2HKOes both. Snorlax needs to be careful when it gets low on HP, as Alakazam's Psychic will KO at around 33%, as will a critical hit Slash from Persian. Lastly, make sure you are careful with Snorlax when using Selfdestruct so a Gengar cannot block it.</p>

Ahhh, simpler times. Not a whole lot to add or change.

GP 2/2

Damn, just reading this makes me remember how awesome RBY was. I wonder if Hip even remembers how many times I owned him with my Counterlax...those were the days.

This was apparently updated awhile ago, but I never noticed. I just uploaded this now, and it was a pretty easy job. Good work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)