B&W Research Thread

Not exactly B/W only, but still interesting:

If you inflict Poison, Burn or Paralysis on a Pokémon with Synchronize while it's
holding a Lum Berry, which activates first? Does it bounce back the status
and THEN gets healed, or does the Lum Berry have a higher priority than
Synchronize?
Just tested it on my White.

Went on double grass with my Synchronize Musharna holding Pecha Berry and Zekrom with Toxic.

I used Toxic on Musharna, Synchronize triggered and poisoned my Zekrom, THEN Pecha Berry kicked in and healed Musharna.

The GTS function wouldn't let me trade my Cofagrigus unless I nicknamed him. I think that's from the language filter.
If you have a Froslass (or Ho-oh), you could see if they can be traded.

Interesting how you can name pokemon and that filter doesn't have a Scunthorpe problem, but it appears this may. Or it's another GTS error, as usual.

Guys, did anyone of you try to breed in Pokémon Black/White? Because it happened a strange thing to me. I was breeding some Deino in Pokémon Black. The parents are two Deino, neither of which holds items. And well... about 50% of the Deinos I get have the highest IV identical to the one of the mother. I tried to change the mother a couple times, and the trend followed accordingly (i.e. I had a mother with 31 Atk IV, half the mons had 31 Atk IV, then I put a mother with 30 SpA IV, and half the mons got 30 SpA IV).

Someone can confirm this?

Just tested - The triggering of Pickup prevents Recycle from working on the subsequent turn, and conversely Recycle when used successfully prevents Pickup from triggering. Thus, it seems that Pickup checks the "recyclable item" variable of battle participants other than itself.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We see you are inquiring about a technical issue regarding our Global Trade Station.

As you pointed out, due to the censor that prevents Pokemon with offensive nicknames being traded on the Global Trade Station, an English language Cofagrigus cannot be traded without a nickname.

Pokemon Support does not have the information regarding any upcoming updates to change this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your friends.

I wonder why they didnt fix the sky drop glitch for the English version.

Also, it doesn't sound like they're trying to fix the GTS problem yet.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Guys, did anyone of you try to breed in Pokémon Black/White? Because it happened a strange thing to me. I was breeding some Deino in Pokémon Black. The parents are two Deino, neither of which holds items. And well... about 50% of the Deinos I get have the highest IV identical to the one of the mother. I tried to change the mother a couple times, and the trend followed accordingly (i.e. I had a mother with 31 Atk IV, half the mons had 31 Atk IV, then I put a mother with 30 SpA IV, and half the mons got 30 SpA IV).

Someone can confirm this?
What's your sample size, ie how many eggs did you hatch?

Gen 5 uses HeartGold and SoulSilver-style IV inheritance. And mathematically speaking, you have a 25% chance of passing down any one specific IV from the mother, and 25% chance of passing down that same specific IV from the father.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Event Celebi that are transferred from Gen4 to Gen 5 using the Relocator in Castelia City, and then traded to another Gen 5 game without unlocking Zorua first can still be used to unlock Zorua after the trade.

Also, and this should be an obvious one, the Griseous Orb is tradeable from one Gen 5 game to another Gen 5 game.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If a Pokémon has a different 32-bit Trainer ID and/or OT name from the player's
"And/or"? So, if I have two US 5th Gen games with the same OT (say, "Mario"), all pokémon from both cartridges will get the same Exp. amount in any of the two games they are sent to?

Mario With Lasers:

The phrase above means "a different 32-bit Trainer ID, a different OT name, or a different 32-bit Trainer ID and different OT name". Maybe the following wording would work better:

"If a Pokémon's 32-bit Trainer ID, OT name, or both are different from the player's"

I just tried trading a freshly caught Cofagrigus, and interestingly, got the same response as when I previously tried to trade Skuntank;

"That Pokémon may not be offered for trade (13267)!"

This solves that mystery, the censor system is stopping me from trading my Skuntank over the GTS. Same with a Marshtomp. And neither of them are nicknamed, either.

Skuntank I can kinda see why, as the second to fifth letters could be seen as a deliberate misspelling of an explicit word, but as for Marshtomp, letters two through four are the first three letters of the word "arse", which the British use in place of "ass". It's a stretch, but it would explain it.

I just tried trading a freshly caught Cofagrigus, and interestingly, got the same response as when I previously tried to trade Skuntank;

"That Pokémon may not be offered for trade (13267)!"

This solves that mystery, the censor system is stopping me from trading my Skuntank over the GTS. Same with a Marshtomp. And neither of them are nicknamed, either.

Skuntank I can kinda see why, as the second to fifth letters could be seen as a deliberate misspelling of an explicit word, but as for Marshtomp, letters two through four are the first three letters of the word "arse", which the British use in place of "ass". It's a stretch, but it would explain it.
Might be the "sht".

Froslass and Ho-oh should be tested...I'll get a list of pokemon that look like they should be tested (besides those).

Articuno (?)
Froslass
Ho-Oh
Sudowoodo
Suicune (?)

I'll get through the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova dexes later.

Ho-Oh gets through no problem, haven't tested any others yet. All we know at this point is that the list of untradeable names includes the following:

Cofagrigus
Skuntank
Marshtomp

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ho-Oh gets through no problem, haven't tested any others yet. All we know at this point is that the list of untradeable names includes the following:

Cofagrigus
Skuntank
Marshtomp
I think you're jumping to conclusions here. 13267 is an error code known to show up when the GTS is busy.

A lot of people see it now because, well, it's pretty damn busy when the games just come out.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, a kind user named infernape-5 tested out some OHKO related mechanics for me, mostly because they are important for street pokemon.

OHKO moves are still 100% blocked by sturdy. infernape-5 tested this by making a Machamp Sheer Cold a Giglith, Sheer Cold was still 100% blocked by sturdy.

No Guard allows OHKO moves to hit 100% of the time both ways.

I was stupid and accidently xed out the PM window, so here is what I have left of the conversation.

<Theorymon> ooof I accidently xed out the chat. can you just say how you tested the two things? just so I can post it in the testing thread
<infernape-5> with a machamp and giglith
<infernape-5> yes sheer cold hits no guard pokemons
<Theorymon> 100% of the time? okay
<infernape-5> yes
<Theorymon> how did you test out that and the thing where No Guard Sheer Cold always hits?
<infernape-5> on random pokemons
<infernape-5> on route 2
<Theorymon> okay, thank you very much!
<infernape-5> i had a machamp with sheer cold and no guard ability

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Anecdotally, it seems it's easier to catch legendaries (with a 3 catch rate) with even 1x catch rate Poke Balls than it was previous generations.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Anecdotally, it seems it's easier to catch legendaries (with a 3 catch rate) with even 1x catch rate Poke Balls than it was previous generations.
Might be due to the new critical catch mechanic (which I've never seen, personally, unless I just didn't notice it), or you might just be lucky. There's no change to the base formula that I know of.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Might be due to the new critical catch mechanic (which I've never seen, personally, unless I just didn't notice it), or you might just be lucky. There's no change to the base formula that I know of.
Oddly enough, I've seen a crit catch fail, which confirms what other people have reported.

If they haven't changed the catch mechanics, I must have a string of good luck. Gen 4 I once blew 100 dusk balls to catch a Cresselia, and I'm catching this generation's 3-catch-rate legendaries with 5 or 10 Premier Balls.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
As I understand it, the normal catch rate rolls 4 times, puts them through some ugly formula, and compares the result to the target number. All 4 rolls have to succeed in order to catch it (the ball will shake once for each success). A critical catch only rolls once, which is why it only shakes once, but that one roll still has to succeed. It's still much more likely, but it's not guaranteed by any means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)