4th Gen OU Team

This is my first RMT and maybe the first team I really put some thought into, sadly though it seems no one plays 4th gen anymore. The focus of this team is to use somewhat bulky pokemon with recovery options to create sort of a combo of stall but also power.

Team:

Jirachi @ Leftovers Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Wish

This guy actually makes a pretty good lead. Generally as long as he is not a huge type disadvantage he can get a free Thunder Wave on the opposing lead or whoever decides to switch in. U-Turn and Wish make a good combo to help heal other pokemon on the team who don't have their own recovery methods.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Bug Bite

Nothing new here this guy is very standard but Scizor can pair nicely with Arcanine, taking rock and ground hits, and responding with a power Bullet Punch. Not really much to say here except he does help lure in some fire attacks for Arcanine to boost off of.

Infernape (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Good for killing stuff I guess. Flare Blitz is very poweful and Infernape's speed allows a pretty strong hit no matter who switches in. U-Turn can be useful too to see what the counters are while also doing some damage. He and Scizor can help each other out too c:

Celebi @ Life Orb Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 240 SAtk / 36 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Rest

Can help take out Water types who got a boost (DD or CM) which would otherwise mess up the team. Rest + Natural Cure is an interesting combo too, allowing for a full heal for free :D

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 24 Def / 72 SDef / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
Gyarados should be able to get off a Dragon Dance and proceed to do a lot of damage to the enemy team before he needs to switch out, and he can also absorb physical and special attacks that he resists.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Now this is just an average Starmie. He is very valuable for removing Stealth Rocks that would otherwise mess up Arcanine and Zapdos. He also is quite important as the only member of the team who can use a STAB water attack as well as Ice Beam. The only bad thing is poor Starmie always dies to Pursuit..

History:

Also does anyone know if many people still play 4th gen? I really don't find 5th gen fun at all, but on Pokemon Online's Server and Smogon's, there's usually almost no one in the 4th gen tier :(

Well there are alot of people on the forums that daily ask for D/P OU .
So i think they are still done.
Cant see why you dont like 5th gen , as it i 4th gen + more :D

Anyways , i wouldnt use a choice item on a starmie , defenatly if he is for spinning.
Normally the process is like : come in to something that cant really hurt you and will switch out. That gives you a free rapid spin.
Then continue to either sweep with ice beam/surf/TBolt .
But with a choice scarf you will be locked into rapid spin , wich is the worst thing to happen really.

On scizor , use bug bite over U-turn.
Bug bite still gives you the technician advantage so its acutally a 135 Basepower move (compare that to a 70 BP u-turn).
Also U-turn doesnt have priority , as scizor isnt fast enough to do it be4 any threats really , it really doesnt benefit a scizor.
The times that it is faster wont really matter probably either , because nobody will let a pokemon that is weak to scizor stay in.

Other then that this team is very nice and i have nothing to add.

Something about 5th gen just isn't that fun to me. I think it might have to do with the primary goal being to abuse weather. Idk why but it just doesn't really click for me. Anyway though I'll add those changes I think I might end up putting the Scarf Flygon on the team instead of Celebi because it needs a revenge killer who can handle a Dragonite or something as well as in my opinion being a very nice Heatran counter since he resists the STAB Fire moves, is immune to Earth Power, neutral to HP Grass, and can OHKO with Earthquake :D

Something about 5th gen just isn't that fun to me. I think it might have to do with the primary goal being to abuse weather. Idk why but it just doesn't really click for me. Anyway though I'll add those changes I think I might end up putting the Scarf Flygon on the team instead of Celebi because it needs a revenge killer who can handle a Dragonite or something as well as in my opinion being a very nice Heatran counter since he resists the STAB Fire moves, is immune to Earth Power, neutral to HP Grass, and can OHKO with Earthquake :D
Yeah flygon is one of the kings of 4th gen OU.
About the weather thingy in 5th gen ... its true , but it also counts for 4th gen.
Weather abusing started there (even before there maybe).
I didnt like the 4th gen OU one bit with garchomp and salamance beeing banned. In 5th gen only garchomp is banned wich still is too bad but oh well :D
Anyways , as you dont like weather teams you might want to 'specialize' in anti-weather teams. That would maybe make you like the 5th gen too :D

Hey there, nice team you have.

Except, I don't see the real point of Celebi, because your team is pretty bulky and you don't even have any boosting sweepers.

I think you should take out Celebi and add in either a Scarfed Flygon or a boosting sweeper such as Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Special Attack
Jolly Nature
Moves:
  • Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Earthquake
  • Stone Edge / Bounce / Ice Fang

Dragon Dance Gyarados is really good. After just one boost, Gyarados can plow through teams like a monster truck. Waterfall is the obvious STAB here. Earthquake provides awesome coverage. For the last slot, Stone Edge is basically just for other Gyarados. If you prefer Bounce, go with that because it can eliminate a lot of Pokemon. Or if Dragons are giving you trouble, go with Ice Fang. Good luck with the team and I hope I helped.

Also I think Gen 4 is better, too.

That's good advice I think Gyarados might actually have a better place on this team than Flygon as even when I try to make Flygon more bulky he's still pretty weak, Gyarados should be able to take out Heatran as well as long as he doesn't get an HP electric. I originally had Gyara on the team but I can't remember why I took him out and replaced him with the fairly useless Celebi.. I think I'm going to change Zapdos to a defensively oriented Rotom-W as well to help sponge up the invevitable thunderbolts aimed at Gyarados. Also it's good to see another Gen 4 person. I don't know what it is but 4th gen has a much nicer feel to it. And Soulfly some day I'll probably have to convert to 5th Gen but I wanna play 4th while I can :p

Hey, I remember facing this team yesterday! Btw, the reason why Arcanine KOed my Tentacruel was because he's the Offensive Rapid Spin set, and you had Flash Fire active.

Anyway, Offensive Calm Mind Suicune can sweep your team with little effort. After a Calm Mind or two, nothing on your team can take a Surf / Hidden Power Electric. Starmie can outspeed and Thunderbolt, but it won't do much damage with Calm Mind also giving SpD boosts. In fact, a Thunderbolt only does 39.3% - 46.3% to a +1 Suicune. All other members of your team are outsped and have to take a Surf / Hidden Power Electric to the face, and can't do much back either.
A Swords Dance Lucario with Stone Edge has an easy time against your team. Jirachi, Scizor and Arcanine get outsped and KOed with Close Combat, Gyarados gets KOed by Stone Edge, Starmie gets KOed by ExtremeSpeed, and Rotom gets KOed by Stone Edge after it has set up a Substitute once.
Dragon Dance Kingdra can also do serious damage to your team. It can set up against Gyarados, Starmie, Scizor, or Arcanine. And then outspeeds all of your team and demolishes them with Outrage / Waterfall.

Now, a good fit to fix these problems would be Celebi. You replaced him before but he fits pretty well on your team. Don't use that old set again though. A better set would be a Tinkerbell Celebi. He can outspeed Suicune and OHKO them with Leaf Storm even when they're at +1. He can survive a +2 Stone Edge from Lucario and KO with Psychic after that, assuming SR is up. Against Kingdra, Celebi can survive every attack, including +1 Outrages and OHKO back with Leaf Storm. The exact set is:

Celebi @ Life Orb | Natural Cure
Modest | 232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Thunder Wave / Leaf Storm / Psychic / Rest

The EVs let him outspeed Dragon Dance Tyranitar, and also has the highest possible Life Orb number. Thunder Wave is really useful as well, as it can completely neuter an offensive Pokemon. Rest may seem weird when Celebi has access to Recover, but thanks to Natural Cure the sleep cure when Celebi switches out, so it's the superior choice here. Celebi would fit well over Rotom, as he still covers all the threats Rotom used to take on, like Gyarados for example.

Now, this is just a preference choice, but I prefer an Infernape over your Arcanine. He has higher Speed, great dual STAB with Close Combat, U-turn and a better typed priority in Mach Punch. This way, you have another Lucario check in case things go wrong. The exact set is:

Infernape @ Choice Band | Blaze
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Flare Blitz / Close Combat / Mach Punch / U-Turn

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip I tried out that Celebi and it's very useful :D also I did end up putting Infernape and he's working pretty well so far so we'll see how it goes.

I think I'm going to change Zapdos to a defensively oriented Rotom-W as well to help sponge up the invevitable thunderbolts aimed at Gyarados. Also it's good to see another Gen 4 person. Then continue to either sweep with ice beam/surf/TBolt .
But with a choice scarf you will be locked into rapid spin , wich is the worst thing to happen really.

Hey this is a good looking team although I have a few small suggestions (don't know if you like it). First off all maybe you can try Stone Edge > Mach Punch for Infernape to hit stuff like DD Gyara and DD Nite who love to come in on your attack and get a free boost on the switch. I have used this CB Infernape before and because I didn't have Stone Edge to kill of a weakend Dragonite it costed me the game because I had to lock me into either CC to lower my defense or Flare Blitz to take recoil. I know Mach Punch works to pick off a weakend Luke or Choice Scarfed Ttar but your Celebi can handle Luke if it has Stone Edge and your Gyara can handle it okay if it has Ice Punch or Crunch. Bp Scizor can off course take on Ttar.

Another suggestion is to change Bug Bite on Scizor to U-turn. I know Bug Bite is stronger but U-turn provide you some scouting ability with Jirachi and Infernape and combined with good prediction it can give you switch advantage. You have a rapid spinner on your team so you don't have to worry about the switches you make because of U-turn if you off course spin the entry hazards away. This makes Starmie even more important to your team.

I hope I helped you with my suggestions, maybe you can try for example two Scizors (one with Bug Bite and one with U-turn) and see which one fits best in your team.

Seems great, but honestly, do you need 2 CB'ers? I'd suggest swapping Scizor to a SD set running Lefties or LO+Roost, with SD over Pursuit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)